The Nightmare Challenge.

Dapling

Duke Fishron
So… This thing I've been hinting at is finally here…
I hope you've been looking forward to it.
No one in their right mind would subject themselves to such unfun torture.

This challenge is focused on stupidly brutal artificial difficulty without forcing you to play by your own honor like so many seem to do. TEdit is required for it, but I will attach some world files which can be used with vanilla later.

The rules are:
  • The entire top of the world is covered by a layer of dirt 20 blocks thick.
  • All areas without walls have been filled by natural spider walls.
  • The entire Cavern layer has been flooded with water.
    • The exceptions to this are the Jungle (not the temple, though), which has been flooded with honey, and the Dungeon, which has been flooded with lava.
  • The entire Underworld layer has been filled in with spikes.
  • The oceans have been completely drained.
Good luck, and have fun! (not really, you're going to have neither of those…)

The first world download has arrived... Good luck! You're going to need a lot of it.

Attachments

• Nightmare_01.wld
    7.2 MB · Views: 136
Last edited:
To be completely honest this is just incredibly tedious, annoying and not fun at all.

Yes, let me spend hours in hell mining Spikes just to get some Hellstone, let me spend hours in the Jungle cuz Honey, pretty much remove the Dungeon from the game since literally no one will bother exploring something covered in Lava, and let me rely on Recall potions} because for some reason Magic Mirrors aren't allowed.

This is an example of why Tedious =/= Hard.

To be completely honest this is just incredibly tedious, annoying and not fun at all.

Yes, let me spend hours in hell mining Spikes just to get some Hellstone, let me spend hours in the Jungle cuz Honey, pretty much remove the Dungeon from the game since literally no one will bother exploring something covered in Lava, and let me rely on Recall potions} because for some reason Magic Mirrors aren't allowed.

I didn't really intend for it to be fun tbh. To be fair, almost every challenge run on here is more tedious then hard. Only the hardmode start challenge was fun in the slightest for me. No crafting runs are just tedious. No Armor Runs? Tedious. Merfolk runs? Tedious. I challenge you to think of a single one that's genuinely fun.

Actually, that low tier gear run I thought of a while ago might be a good idea. It isn't tedious, it just forces you to play only slightly more limited than normal.

Obsidian Skin potions can be used for the dungeon, Dynamite can be used in hell, the jungle… oh… yeah there isn't really a way to fix that… Also, I didn't say Ice Mirrors.
I suppose I could fill hell with some other block, though. I mainly had it filled in the first place so the water wouldn't drain from the caverns and evaporate/cause massive lag.

Last edited:

If you want tedious, try the chariot challenge.

Also, sound fun, Omega! Will there be a world download for Mobile?

Hmm... it could've worked if overworld... was kind of lava-world.

Perhaps more emphasis on the scarcity too. Or fracturation of world... maybe lizahrd traps could've worked pretty good? (Nah, too much editing)

Also I'll try to cover a large Expert world for this one (oh, and Whoopie cushions aren't useless, if you get both them and cloud in a balloon, you basically get Farts in a Bottles once Goblin arrives.)

Maybe also spread corruption to box the area for fun? (this'd get tedious tho, unless there's a clear way or bombs)

Last edited:
Hmm... it could've worked if overworld... was kind of lava-world.

Perhaps more emphasis on the scarcity too. Or fracturation of world... maybe lizahrd traps could've worked pretty good? (Nah, too much editing)

Also I'll try to cover a large Expert world for this one (oh, and Whoopie cushions aren't useless, if you get both them and cloud in a balloon, you basically get Farts in a Bottles once Goblin arrives.)

Maybe also spread corruption to box the area for fun? (this'd get tedious tho, unless there's a clear way or bombs)
Well, I was going to completely eradicate the corruption and demon altars, but I realized that would make fishing way too obviously good for this. Also I'm aware that whoopie cushions are able to be used for an upgraded double jump, but I felt it was the most insulting thing I could swap out magic mirrors with. Also bombs will be probably your only option once you've reached the underworld anyway.
If you want tedious, try the chariot challenge.

Also, sound fun, Omega! Will there be a world download for Mobile?
Some worlds made on PC run on mobile, but it's entirely up to chance. They do use the same file format so the uploaded PC file might work. I don't have mobile so I won't be able to test it.

In case you're wondering how I came up with this, I just threw a bunch of concepts together that I specifically hate in every way. :p

Last edited:
Well, Some worlds made on PC run on mobile, but it's entirely up to chance. They do use the same file format so the uploaded PC file might work. I don't have mobile so I won't be able to test it.

In case you're wondering how I came up with this, I just threw a bunch of concepts together that I specifically hate in every way. :p

Sounds great, dude. I appreciate it!

Also, I totally get the idea storm. It’s exactly what I’m doing lol.

I'm debating whether to make a world difficulty/size necessary. Small worlds might make the journey to hell too easy, but then again... Small worlds have fewer of everything.

No crafting runs are just tedious. No Armor Runs? Tedious. Merfolk runs? Tedious.

No craft runs are mostly tedious, but it's the fun type of tedious that forces you to be creative with how you play, like how to make the first houses, or how you build arenas with Planter Boxes The limits for Boss battles are the pretty much the only reason you ever play those though).

No armor runs i can't see how that's tedious and not actually difficult. Merfolk runs are another example of a dumb challenge that is only fun for the first couple hours.

As for other fun challenges, i can think of stuff like the All Spider Walls, No jumping, or the Craft only runs (I don't know too many though, and tbh limiting gear is as far as you can go)

Obsidian Skin potions can be used for the dungeon

Never mind the fact that you can't see anything at all because it's all flashing red, or that there will never be any spawns unless you spend way too much time draining the Lava (cuz that's fun).

No craft runs are mostly tedious, but it's the fun type of tedious that forces you to be creative with how you play, like how to make the first houses, or how you build arenas with Planter Boxes The limits for Boss battles are the pretty much the only reason you ever play those though).

No armor runs i can't see how that's tedious and not actually difficult. Merfolk runs are another example of a dumb challenge that is only fun for the first couple hours.

As for other fun challenges, i can think of stuff like the All Spider Walls, No jumping, or the Craft only runs (I don't know too many though)

Never mind the fact that you can't see anything at all because it's all flashing red, or that there will never be any spawns unless you spend way too much time draining the Lava (cuz that's fun).
I just threw a bunch of concepts together that I specifically hate in every way. :p
I wanted it to feel nightmarish, can't be a nightmare without a depressing dose of futility, right?

New Challenge Idea: No items unless they are wooden or copper, dirt is replaced with sand, stone is replaced with hellstone, water is replaced with lava, all surface enemies are replaced with fire imps, all underground enemies are replaced with desert spirits, and all flying enemies are replaced with wyverns. Also the entire world is completely covered in spider webs. All other blocks are replaced with honey. All other enemies are replaced with clingers.

Yes, this is a joke.

New Challenge Idea: No items unless they are wooden or copper, dirt is replaced with sand, stone is replaced with hellstone, water is replaced with lava, all surface enemies are replaced with fire imps, all underground enemies are replaced with desert spirits, and all flying enemies are replaced with wyverns. Also the entire world is completely covered in spider webs. All other blocks are replaced with honey. All other enemies are replaced with clingers.

Yes, this is a joke.
Or just allow a random boss to spawn every 10 minutes

Yes, this is a joke.
lol enemies can't have their spawn locations swapped out in tEdit

Yes I know it's a joke.

Back
Top Bottom