NPCs & Enemies The nightmare

kingklutz

Retinazer
Bad name yes, this is 2 am and another one of my thoughtless suggestions
Anyways
The nightmare (can anyone think of another name?) is an enemy that attacks you only when you look away, kinda like angle statues from doctor who or boo from mario bros. now you must be thinking "well that's redundant, I'll just put a few rounds in it with my megashark or strike it down with my terra blade. But fear not.

When you inflict damage, the nightmare teleports fairly close behind you (about 20 blocks) and deals 70 damage. It's defence is 40 and it's health is 200. It's KB resist is 40%. However when it spawns it ALWAYS faces you

The nightmare covers it's face with it's hands when facing it. But when you are facing away, it let's out a screech inflicting the frozen debuff for 0.5 seconds. and comes towards you at a fast speed teeth out. It's attack is similar to chaos elementals and skeletons when they bump into you, but it has a higher attack.

It only spawns under a solar eclipse. During this, the nightmare only spawns 3 times and there can only be one on screen at all times and is immune to lava. It is only a hardmode enemy that drops 5 gold coins 100%. And the megaphone 1% and has a 1% chance to drop a broken hero sword.

It is also an expert only creature, as it is a pain in the arse just entering hardmode, cus RNG
Anything missing? Do you support? Please criticise :)

Last edited:
Couple of things:

Wall of Text has awoken!

BHS is an Eclipse Only item

Other than that! it's fine!

You're basically saying I can't attack it without taking damage?

That just seems a little unfair.

Also when it spawns, there's a 50% chance I'll be facing away, which means a pretty good opportunity to get frozen. Not only that, but it happens to be a Blood Moon/Pumpkin moon enemy, which means that pretty much every spawn of satan is going to be attempting to rip my guts out at that time.

And a bit of damage calculation: Terra blade: 88 damage, their def. would take out 20. 68 damage per swing, assuming no other modifiers (just for convenience. Deal with it.) 7 hits to kill, 490 damage taken. Reminder, UNAVOIDABLE damage taken. Other alternative, ofc, is to never look away, which is going to be a major problem once a second one happens to spawn on the OTHER side of the screen.

I'm also not entirely sure why it drops a megaphone, though arguably it doesn't make sense for the other mobs that drop said item to do so either...

No Support.

@LoM2 I've changed it a bit and the reason I though about the megaphone is due to it's loud screech, you know this guys getting old and his voice needs to be heard lmao

Things I've changed:

Made it slightly easier to read
Has 200hp instead of 400
Always faces you and not to your back
Spawns only on a solar eclipse
Spawns only once on a screen at a time

Anything else?

The only way to practically get rid of this is by using a sniper rifle. And that's not to take damage. That's not fair to about everyone. No support: It's too good. Maybe for expert mode?

And how does the game know not to spawn it in from the direction your back is turned to? I would like to know that- it's never been done in Terraria so far.

The only way to practically get rid of this is by using a sniper rifle. And that's not to take damage. That's not fair to about everyone. No support: It's too good. Maybe for expert mode?
Yeah, I was thinking of something pretty hard to kill lol, so it could be an expert thing only, or what if I tone down the damage, then maybe it could be hardmode generally, or maybe it's speed?

And @DestroyerOfTheDestroyer I have no clue, maybe a shape recognising programme (whatever shape is facing one way the nightmare spawns in that direction) but then that would be redundant if you have a symmetrical design and might confuse the game. I'm not a techy person lol

Also what if I have two players and they were facing opposite ways? Then each side has both a back and a front facing towards them.

Also what if I have two players and they were facing opposite ways? Then each side has both a back and a front facing towards them.
Hmm now that is a good question, I was thinking it splits I'm two and deals half the damage it normally does?

Sounds like it will be annoying as hell, pun not intended
Annoying as post Plantera dungeon... I don't know if this enemy is such a good idea
Sorry

I mean... The screaming would be annoying, and stationary enemies look weird when they turn to look at you

The nightmare was designed only for one thing, and that was to creep you out, or dread it. I suppose the screaming would be annoying, maybe a low growling noise, like a zombie but more menacing. And when it has it's hand over it's eyes I don't think it would be weird, just a little creepy, that's all

Back
Top Bottom