Mobile The Path Ahead: Major News Updates for Console & Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
King Slime summon - reduce cost, endless quiver & ammo pouch, bottomless water bucket, reduce resource cost for arrows (make materials equal arrow amounts on pc). Those are my old gen last request ... platform planters would save clay costs too :) Yes, the fishing items (sailfish boots, tsunami in a bottle, etc) would be sweet. Thank you.

So how does 1.3 run on the laptop fine with 1gb?

Terraria also runs on my 5 year old sons phone that has 512 mb of ram.
This phone is so bad but dont trust him not to break a better phone.

Because hardware reqs are typically "minimum for consistent and stable performance". Sure it may boot up and work for a time....until it doesn't. 505 mobile has seen this all year with phones under 1gb (which is why there are warnings about performance, especially with expanded worlds in place). Everything is cool until it isn't, the RAM overflows, and the game crashes. Same thing on vita this year.

Same logic for your old PC. I'm sure we could have a PC dev explain it further but it's the same logic on any game. You run under minimum reqs and you do so caveat emptor.

Anecdotes also do not trump what was a lot of time with the actual devs exploring the actual code with actual systems. If I stick my finger in the light socket and don't get shocked, that doesn't mean doing so is a safe and smart idea. ;)

Im sorry man but all companies are out for money.
With Terraria why didnt they make thier game cross buy on Ps3/Vita? Tons of other games do.

Of course they are. Of course we are. It's business not charity. That isn't saying anything new really. The point was being ALL ABOUT the money only. To the latter example, don't know as it was before my time but I could also say "if we were all about the money, why not charge some small amount that no one would be mad about for each update" - tons of other games do. ;)

Again, they explored streaming. The result was a game experience well below the acceptable standard. Again, quality > quantity.

Back to lurking. :)

You have to keep in mind that PC Terraria and console Terraria are, and always will be, vastly different: PC is written in C# and the console versions are written in C++ for one, and then I haven't even begun about any differences between the engines or the internal architecture of the different platforms. The fact that Pipeworks are going to rebuild console Terraria based on the PC code (which all the previous ports did as well regardless) doesn't mean that they will be able to make it like the PC version considering the internal structure.

Simply put, my conjecture is that PC-console cross compatibility is not going to happen. I really hope for everyone with a current gen console that Pipeworks or 505 Games proves me wrong, but at this point in time, I think that expecting it to happen is a lot more likely to lead to disappointment than believing it won't happen will pleasantly surprise you.

I'm sorry, but your explanation isn't what was said in the OP. They said a RESET, no one to my knowledge has said it would be save compatible across supported devices nor that it wouldn't. Let the Devs and company say what it will or won't. My statement is based on the OP saying a complete rebuild by Pipeworks and if the best intentions is to try and make a 1 to 1 product, options are open.

I am fortunate to have Terraria on multiple systems and mobiles so I'm not worrying about not being able to play the 1.3 update in 9-12 months or so on those systems. I will play 1.24 over again I'm sure because it is a complete and great game, kudos to everyone to give it a wrap up!

Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, and PS4 are all PC similar architecture although they vary because of custom hardware, but all have the same things as any PC (HDD, RAM, CPU, GPU, Power supply, fans and case with input devices such as keyboards, mice, and or controllers). Unfortunately Microsoft and Sony both have created systems since last gens that just barely compare to PC's at the time of their launch and the One and PS4 were behind in CPU and RAM but have made some ground up with their respective GPUs, but frame-rates are almost always higher on PC.

I have programmed some games for PC and console, code can be written to handle both. I will not try and second guess RE-Logic's step forward because I do TRUST them as all decisions I've seen are for the better of the game and therefore the community of gamers.

You don't have to like what is being done, but step out of your bubble and see what is best for the future of an evolving game like Terraria. I have spent less than $125USD on all my systems for Terraria and for the countless hours of entertainment for my family and myself, I cannot complain but only SMILE! Lighten up, you can be upset, but it will probably just shorten your life(stress does take a toll) Try and be a game developer for a living :D

Like I said, kudos for those leaving and those continuing to make this great game MORE.

My response is my opinion based on life experience in the technology world...

PS I would like this post if it were possible :p

I worry about this whole the old worlds and chars will be working on the mobile reset aint the reset supposed to be more than just a code reset i want mobile version to look like pc or atleast close to it i dont want to see the same old game codeglue made thats what i hope this reset is all about making the game feel fresh.

And will the mobile exlusive content be in the reset or not

I'm sorry, but your explanation isn't what was said in the OP. They said a RESET, no one to my knowledge has said it would be save compatible across supported devices nor that it wouldn't. Let the Devs and company say what it will or won't. My statement is based on the OP saying a complete rebuild by Pipeworks and if the best intentions is to try and make a 1 to 1 product, options are open.
You asked whether or not console saves could be imported to PC. Well, they can't now, so for old gen, they definitely never will, and for current gen, I deduce it's highly unlikely based on what I know about this subject. I'm not stating whether or not the devs will provide save compatibility based on priority and resource management, I'm stating whether or not the devs will based on technical limitations.
Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, and PS4 are all PC similar architecture although they vary because of custom hardware, but all have the same things as any PC (HDD, RAM, CPU, GPU, Power supply, fans and case with input devices such as keyboards, mice, and or controllers). Unfortunately Microsoft and Sony both have created systems since last gens that just barely compare to PC's at the time of their launch and the One and PS4 were behind in CPU and RAM but have made some ground up with their respective GPUs, but frame-rates are almost always higher on PC.

I have programmed some games for PC and console, code can be written to handle both.
That is what I meant with architecture: C# (which is what Terraria is written in) doesn't work on all platforms, for one. The console version is written in C++ (reset isn't going to change that), merely that difference (which is a pretty huge one) is going to make cross save compatibility a lot harder. Then enter all the other engine differences and exclusive content that can not be retained between platforms, so save files will need to be able to discriminate between platforms and essentially have save data for all of them, which means that the PC saving process would need to be reworked as well. Add to that the backwards compatibility issues and well, it's not hard to deduce that it's unlikely to happen. I'm not saying it won't, I'm saying it's unlikely.
I will not try and second guess RE-Logic's step forward because I do TRUST them as all decisions I've seen are for the better of the game and therefore the community of gamers.

You don't have to like what is being done, but step out of your bubble and see what is best for the future of an evolving game like Terraria. I have spent less than $125USD on all my systems for Terraria and for the countless hours of entertainment for my family and myself, I cannot complain but only SMILE! Lighten up, you can be upset, but it will probably just shorten your life(stress does take a toll)
I take it this is not directed at me. Either that or you misunderstood my post and my attitude in this thread in general.
Try and be a game developer for a living :D
Already am.

Also, I just thought of something I should mention.

Mobile players, I encourage you to look up your exact phone model now, and figure out how much RAM it has. Mine has 1.5 GB of RAM, so I should be fine when the update rolls out.
I looked and mine has 1 GB of RAM hope that's enough.....

I'm not sure where the save file compatibility came from, but the issue isn't what Terraria is written in, the issue is how you're going to interpret the data contained in that save.

A save file is basically a simple sheet containing a lot of technical words such as Copper Axe or Ocram. Currently the PC version knows what Copper Axe is but confused as to what Ocram is. This is because there's no such thing as Ocram in PC code and subsequently whatever loot drops from Ocram doesn't exist.

If you force the PC version to read a console save file it will most definitely be able to do so, but some things will be gone, e.g. console exclusive armors. Standard data such as your constructs will be preserved just fine.

I'm not sure where the save file compatibility came from, but the issue isn't what Terraria is written in, the issue is how you're going to interpret the data contained in that save.

A save file is basically a simple sheet containing a lot of technical words such as Copper Axe or Ocram. Currently the PC version knows what Copper Axe is but confused as to what Ocram is. This is because there's no such thing as Ocram in PC code and subsequently whatever loot drops from Ocram doesn't exist.

If you force the PC version to read a console save file it will most definitely be able to do so, but some things will be gone, e.g. console exclusive armors. Standard data such as your constructs will be preserved just fine.

You are right in the fact it does NOT matter the language the programmer is using. A save file is a save file if the programmer allows it to be read by another application or different version.

You asked whether or not console saves could be imported to PC. Snip the rest

I NEVER asked if the save files could be imported, some others have. Also, the C# is a software programming language, not hardware which I was referring to in my second post. It would be like comparing RAM size to HDD space, they are NOT the same. Do you have inside information in what language the RESET is going to be done in?? I doubt it or you would not be making any assertions on what will be the outcome. Just let it go. You have read a lot into my post that is not there.

Woooooo a reset! Thats going to be good, the size of the app might get smaller or larger but the current bugs would be completely erased! New ones would come but i see less already, i can also see some things that dont work or cant be implemented with the current game being features in the 1.3+ reset version on mobile.

I'm playing on iPad Air, still version 8.3, with 1987 MB RAM. Closing all active Apps and internet result in more than 1100MB Free RAM. Do I have enough to play the incoming 1.3 Terraria?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom