tModLoader The Sanity Mod

Apologies for inactivity.

I love the sound of this mod, and I would love to be able to include it in the super modded calamity revengeance playthrough I'm doing, but the silenced thing is just too much of a deal breaker. I'm playing as a mage and the idea that I can be entirely screwed over like that in a mod like Calamity just doesn't appeal to me.
Agreed.

@Trivaxy - For the above reasons and others, I propose a number of additional config options. Much of what I'm looking for from this mod is being able to change when some of these effects happen to the player -- 'Confused', 'Darkness', 'Cracking Mind', 'Silenced', etc. should all be separately configurable imo, as to the exact amount of sanity in which they trigger. Same goes for each change to the player's incoming and outgoing damage, and movement speed. I'd also love to see a few additional options for additional vanilla debuffs, such as 'Blackout' and 'Obstructed', for more extreme hindrance to vision at low sanity levels. And lastly, have an option to change the amount of maximum sanity that you start with. These are options I believe are essential to the mod, if it is to be customized to the player's liking.

Beyond that, it would be icing on the cake to see options to change the rate of sanity is lost/gained being in certain biomes, getting hit, being healed etc. It would also be interesting to see a positive side to the mod with a few custom buffs when at maximum or very high sanity, like increasing armor penetration or allow magic projectiles to pierce when they otherwise wouldn't -- something small like that.

You may intend to add many of these already; this was just some brainstorming after a playthrough with this -- I ended up wanting to tweak a vast number of parts in it. Kudos on a fantastic job with making Terraria a lot more interesting and horrifying -- hope to see you continue work on this wonderful mod. :)
For the next update, I'll work on adding these "positive sides" if you have a lot of sanity. I will add more config options as well, for those who see the mod as too harsh. ;)

I was very excited to add this to my "Brutal Terraria" modpack, but one or more of my other mods seem to conflict with it. The sanity meter wasn't shown and I killed myself 25 times to see if any of the sanity effects were triggered and none seemed to.
I *am* using the Overhaul mod, so I'm not really surprised by a conflict.
Other mods that may be causing an issue:
Hunger mod
Stamina mod
Injury mod

I was very excited to add this to my "Brutal Terraria" modpack, but one or more of my other mods seem to conflict with it. The sanity meter wasn't shown and I killed myself 25 times to see if any of the sanity effects were triggered and none seemed to.
I *am* using the Overhaul mod, so I'm not really surprised by a conflict.
Other mods that may be causing an issue:
Hunger mod
Stamina mod
Injury mod
Hmm.. can you try disabling the mods one by one until you find which mod is causing the issue? I don't think they should cause incompatibility issues.

It seems to be Hunger mod, since I've disabled the others and the Sanity meter still isn't there (likely because the Hunger meter is in the same spot?)
But, whenever I disable Hunger mod with Sanity mod enabled, tmodloader hangs at "adding recipes" every time.

It seems to be Hunger mod, since I've disabled the others and the Sanity meter still isn't there (likely because the Hunger meter is in the same spot?)
But, whenever I disable Hunger mod with Sanity mod enabled, tmodloader hangs at "adding recipes" every time.
Have you tried completing cleaning out Hunger mod and enabling Sanity? (Deleting the HungerMod's .tmod file and restarting the game)

Also try disabling both loading the map and if it loads correctly then enable sanity and try again.

First, the good. This is a unique and inventive concept to add into Terraria. In a world with skeletons, zombies, cultists, ghosts, and flying occular organs (which may or may not have wrenched their way out of Cthulhu's skull), it makes sense that it would be a terrible strain on mortal minds. I haven't seen anyone attempt to add a sanity meter into Terraria before, and I'm glad someone is attempting it.

The bad. I looked through the effects of the low sanity, and to be honest I was rather underwhelmed. By far, most are just numbers. You get hit harder, you're slower, your attacks are weaker. Not very original. The thing I like best about sanity meters are the crazy effects that happen when one's mind becomes detached from reality. You mentioned Don't starve as an inspiration. In Don't Starve, as your sanity gets lower, you start hallucinating. You hear things. You see creeping shadows and eyes in the dark. And at the lowest levels, these hallucinations become real and can kill you. I think it would be cool if this could occur in Terraria as well.

Possible ideas for low sanity effects.
-occasionally play enemy sound effects, when no enemies are present. May or may not be appropriate to the biomes.
-creepy hallucinations. Moving shadows at the edges of torchlight, but vanish in full light. Occasional false glows in the darkness, or eyes in the dark like what Don't Starve had. Statues or paintings that stare at you while your back is turned. One day the sun could look like an eyeball, or one night all the stars could start going out. Walls could bleed when you dig with a pickaxe or drill.
-hallucination enemies. They'd appear like regular biome enemies, but vanish in a puff of smoke when you hit them. As a bonus for multiplayer, only the insane player can see them. Others would just see the insane player suddenly start swinging their weapons at empty air.
-Friendly NPCs or other players in multiplayer could look like a zombie to the insane player, and take damage if he tries to attack them.
-Torch and light effects. Torches could flicker red or something, or flicker off and on. In deeper insanity, a slow moving enemy could attempt to switch off or break torches, again like the hands in Don't Starve.
-At the lowest insanity levels, the hallucination enemies could start damaging you, or inflicting debuffs like darknes or confused. Again, only on the insane player.

First, the good. This is a unique and inventive concept to add into Terraria. In a world with skeletons, zombies, cultists, ghosts, and flying occular organs (which may or may not have wrenched their way out of Cthulhu's skull), it makes sense that it would be a terrible strain on mortal minds. I haven't seen anyone attempt to add a sanity meter into Terraria before, and I'm glad someone is attempting it.

The bad. I looked through the effects of the low sanity, and to be honest I was rather underwhelmed. By far, most are just numbers. You get hit harder, you're slower, your attacks are weaker. Not very original. The thing I like best about sanity meters are the crazy effects that happen when one's mind becomes detached from reality. You mentioned Don't starve as an inspiration. In Don't Starve, as your sanity gets lower, you start hallucinating. You hear things. You see creeping shadows and eyes in the dark. And at the lowest levels, these hallucinations become real and can kill you. I think it would be cool if this could occur in Terraria as well.

-occasionally play enemy sound effects, when no enemies are present. May or may not be appropriate to the biomes.
-creepy hallucinations. Moving shadows at the edges of torchlight, but vanish in full light. Occasional false glows in the darkness, or eyes in the dark like what Don't Starve had. Statues or paintings that stare at you while your back is turned. One day the sun could look like an eyeball, or one night all the stars could start going out. Walls could bleed when you dig with a pickaxe or drill.
-hallucination enemies. They'd appear like regular biome enemies, but vanish in a puff of smoke when you hit them. As a bonus for multiplayer, only the insane player can see them. Others would just see the insane player suddenly start swinging their weapons at empty air.
-Friendly NPCs or other players in multiplayer could look like a zombie to the insane player, and take damage if he tries to attack them.
-Torch and light effects. Torches could flicker red or something, or flicker off and on. In deeper insanity, a slow moving enemy could attempt to switch off or break torches, again like the hands in Don't Starve.
-At the lowest insanity levels, the hallucination enemies could start damaging you, or inflicting debuffs like darknes or confused. Again, only on the insane player.

Why not take an step further?
This sounds like an amazing step towards the "Eternal Darkness" style of Sanity Loss (The "Friendly NPCs or other players in multiplayer could look like a zombie to the insane player, and take damage if he tries to attack them" thing sounds an lot like both games), and I would also like to see some new things that would work with this

• Having some enemies emit an greenish light, causing sanity drops while in their presence
  • Having various sanity effects happen on insane players
  • Normal Chests becoming Mimics to insane players (And being just as strong) when really low on sanity
  • Killing with Crits giving back sanity, and giving an buff that boost sanity gain from various sources
  • Having special items that boost sanity at the cost of damage reduction, mana, or even health
  • Having an starting item that alters you and your sanity depending on choice
It's amazing

Why not take an step further?
This sounds like an amazing step towards the "Eternal Darkness" style of Sanity Loss (The "Friendly NPCs or other players in multiplayer could look like a zombie to the insane player, and take damage if he tries to attack them" thing sounds an lot like both games), and I would also like to see some new things that would work with this

• Having some enemies emit an greenish light, causing sanity drops while in their presence
  • Having various sanity effects happen on insane players
  • Normal Chests becoming Mimics to insane players (And being just as strong) when really low on sanity
  • Killing with Crits giving back sanity, and giving an buff that boost sanity gain from various sources
  • Having special items that boost sanity at the cost of damage reduction, mana, or even health
  • Having an starting item that alters you and your sanity depending on choice
It's amazing
Thank you both for the feedback - I will definitely be adding more effects as suggested and to make low sanity more terrifying. :)

Hey. this is an interesting mod, i was thinking about adding it, hunger, and calamity's "stress" mechanic. tbh it looks like this mod is.. well, half-done. its just raw challenge, With no incentive to have higher than ehh-level sanity besides "dont get debuffed". not that.. interesting imo. though, i like that.. 'eternal darkness' suggestion by.. that person with the noire-icon cx

Hey, is this mod dead? It has a ton of potential but there's been no news for over a year.
Are you just busy with other projects, or have you decided to stop development of this?

Hey, is this mod dead? It has a ton of potential but there's been no news for over a year.
Are you just busy with other projects, or have you decided to stop development of this?
Lots of things actually - busy with projects, school, and I sort of did halt development of this.
I might remake this mod eventually - in its current state and after a year I can see that tons of unbalanced and unfun gameplay is involved in this. I'd rather remake it one day into something much better. I'm currently working on other mods.

Back
Top Bottom