Resolved The save file ***.player was created with a newer version of terraria and could not be loaded.

Wait fo the new update an update it. Once it is done it should reset everything and get all your data back. If thr bug fixes are added the account should be fixed an everything will be reset into a regulaer form. Though i do not guarantee this will work. Though i mad as hell i lost 555 platnuim. Tons of the best weapons and armour and i lost my vampire knives headless horseman blade and almost all of the recipes in the game. Wait till the new update an do it! I hope it works. Though at least my world with even more stuff is safe.
[DOUBLEPOST=1450851808,1450851701][/DOUBLEPOST]Wtf everything i had eas turned into :red:ing 704 lead ingots? Wtf my armour an everything. What the hell!!!! 505 games :red:ing fix this!!!

He means 1.2.
me too i suffered this problem twice i worked hard to get to golem and after i killed him and i quit the game to take a break and when i came back this happened to me, the second time was after i fought plantera
[DOUBLEPOST=1451378541,1451378447][/DOUBLEPOST]
Same thing happened to my game. I had full turtle armour and had beat plantera 6 times.
Absolutely, I can't take this anymore T_T

This just happened to me and DO NOT want to start over!!!!!! Is there really no way to fix it?!?!?!?!?!?!
[DOUBLEPOST=1451446414,1451446247][/DOUBLEPOST]It just happened to me and I DO NOT want to start over!!!!!!! Is there really no way to fix it?!?!?!?! Also, when I try to write a review about it on the App Store it says I have to own the game to write a review, and I obviously have the game!!!!!

should I wait until an update to play or can I go ahead and make another character and my new one will come back

It hasn't happened to me yet luckily though i think waiting is a good choice be patient they will fix it when they can hope you get your data back guys

I just got to the Underworld for the first time, and barely made it out with 160+ pieces of Hellstone, and had, yet again, the game crash on me. However, this happened right when it did a rare "couldn't load: newer version", and since that was the latest save file, it made my character unaccessible (or damaged/destroyed?!). Had that error message before, but it never was an issue until now, since it occurred while still playing and the next automatic save replaced it with the good copy.

So, all my best gear is locked up in my guy's inventory, piggy bank, and safe (now have mixed feeling on recently discovering how to use those last two items) because of this. Thankfully the extensive stockpile of stuff at Town under Living Tree I lucked out in having is there, but still... it is a very sickening blow to have when at a new personal high point in the game.

I know porting over to a new platform is tricky, and that making a new mobile interface is difficult, but come one! I'm having a hard time understanding why some of these errors are still persisting. I can understand the interface slowing and crashing, and the very ungraceful performance when switching out and back onto the game (rendering it impractical to check anything else while playing on a smartphone), but to have it somehow forget what version it is, and not use any file that is labeled as newer than the currently installed program, and on a normally access restricted mobile device, just makes no sense. Such a version check should not be needed for a non-rooted phone! (how can I easily bring in a local, non-cloud, save file that could make that even an issue?) Even then, how can it glitch out checking it's version control like this?! And why can't it fall back to an older save file? (saves every 2 mins, so at most lost 3-4 mins of progress?) This is very basic file management procedures, even back in the 70s and 80s. If there is a reasonable chance for the file creation to mess up (which this glitch has been around for a while) you keep a backup file to fall back on. I'm sure many would find it much more tolerable to lose an additional minute or two of progress if it meant their entire progress was not lost.

@mech4warden Are you playing on the latest updated versions of both the game and OS?
Yes.

I quickly installed the game's most recent update, hoping it would fix much of the issues with stability. This was before this character jamming glitch happened.

One tends to get bugged about Android OS updates when it is your turn on the update roll out, and have long since upgraded. Just to make sure, I checked a moment ago, and said I had the latest version.

I hope the next game update unjams my character, assuming it is just a version verification glitch. I'm reluctant on starting over with a new character and put off from playing because of this.

I made a second character (tried to use slot 3, not wanting to overwrite the first) to check to see if the world was fine, and it was. Of course, checking the piggy bank and safe yielded nothing, beside getting a stack of glitched objectives, which looked like a graphics library 2x3 (or 2x4) group of tree branch sprites for normal trees. Collecting those and trying to use them cleared up the glitched items. At least some self correction is done in-game. ... But might explain why some items disappear, if they are seen as glitches and deleted.

Everytime I try to start playing, I get the same 'newer version' error from that character file, so I know my first character file is still there. Because of it, my second character's sprite is displaced to the second slot, even though his name is on the first slot. Seems like the code is a bit sloppy in regards to displaying characters, since it knows there are two character files (trying to display both sprites, but failing on the first), but gives only one name and putting it on the top of the list. Since the game doesn't use 'slots' as one would assume, it just does an alphabetized list, but is limited to showing three items.

Anyway, hoping for an update to come soon, and unjam my guy after a successful trip from the Underworld.

Ah hell no.. ;(
I just played Terraria for about 2 weeks, than Terraria said "The save file "pavlukivan" is created in newer version of Terraria" or something like that, i don't remember. Same was with world file. My device is rooted, so I tried to look at that file, but it was with size 0kb. Please just fix the bug, i know you can't restore my data...

Did a search here in the forum to find out what the file structure was on the save files so I knew what my options were, and I found that thread. Please tell me that is not the case. I read there are some .bak files in regards to save files, which sound like backup files to me, and I hope something like that (if it is back up files) ported over from the PC version... Assuming I'm correct with my assumptions.

I'm going to do some more reading on the topic, and check back with what I find.

Amazon updated and was saying it was an older version so it got rid of my account afte all that work for nothing. Sumbit all you posts here for complaints maybe we can get this fixed.

Amazon updated and was saying it was an older version so it got rid of my account afte all that work for nothing. Sumbit all you posts here for complaints maybe we can get this fixed.
Sorry to hear :(

Still holding out hope there are backup files. Just... you kinda need to root your phone to check, and I'm not about to mess with that just yet.

What gets me is that this has been going on for a year, based on the age of other posts, and still hasn't fully addressed.

What is making it so hard to fix? Can't they just allow the game to use the save file, even if it is just listed as an arbitrarily high version number?

If it is a file corruption, why have the 'newer version' error message? Sound like a poor error message system if it turns out to be a corrupted file issue. Corrupted as in an unrecoverable mess of data.

This whole thing has kept me from playing the full version, since it feels like if I give up and restarted, I'll ruin any chance of recovery. Also, restarting doesn't answer the problem of it happening again, and cause even more damage if it does.

Would like to be able to upload what I have as save files, if that would help. But the Google feedback system only triggers when there is a crash and forced shut down; and I've already submitted a few of those.

It's not so bad.
It happened to me 2 times. But if you instantly quit Terraria and clear its cache data and go back in again all will be fine again (works on iOS)

That doesn't sound like how cache should work at all. Maybe iOS is just that weird or something.

Of course I tested it as best I could, but got nowhere. The cache for Android OS is about 108kb in size, so I doubt clearing that would have much effect on a save file.

What point is the critical point where you need to 'instantly quit' so this works? Because the game crashed as soon as it gave that as an error in-game, which before was not an issue since it didn't crash those other times it happened.

OMG, i just upgraded my android to 6.0.1, installed terraria, moved my player and world to the path and they give me this stupid problem. I spent a lot of time gathering what i got and now its all gone, ALL GONE! :nymph:

OMG, i just upgraded my android to 6.0.1, installed terraria, moved my player and world to the path and they give me this stupid problem. I spent a lot of time gathering what i got and now its all gone, ALL GONE! :nymph:
Wait, what? How did you move your player and world files? Rooted phone? Via Cloud? Need more details.

@505 Games Support (or whoever is responsible)
Why hasn't this save file issue been addressed, or given a workaround yet? (if it has, where is the info?) This has been going on for months, and it is putting off people that love this game! This should be in the customer support/FAQ section (or whatever), since questions are not being answered, and keeps occurring. What has likely happened to the file(s)? What should a customer do or not do? What can be done on the customer's side to help resolve this?

Also... -_-
Blah blah blah .bak files, something something don't know if in game, yada yada yada.

Wait, what? How did you move your player and world files? Rooted phone? Via Cloud? Need more details.

Yes, rooted phone, but that has nothing to do with the problem here. The error clearly states that the .player/.world was made in a higher version of the game when its simply not true. I played these same saves on the same version of the game, now that i updated to 6.0.1 marshmallow it always give me that error. Guess i have to start over.

Yes, rooted phone, but that has nothing to do with the problem here. The error clearly states that the .player/.world was made in a higher version of the game when its simply not true. I played these same saves on the same version of the game, now that i updated to 6.0.1 marshmallow it always give me that error. Guess i have to start over.
OK, on either device, are there ".bak" files with the same names as the functional save files? (identical names, but with the file extension .bak tacked on the end of it)

Also, what is the file size of the non-working save files? (the ones saying they are of a newer version)

OK, on either device, are there ".bak" files with the same names as the functional save files? (identical names, but with the file extension .bak tacked on the end of it)

Also, what is the file size of the non-working save files? (the ones saying they are of a newer version)

No .bak files here, only the .player and .world names. I never had any .bak files before and it always worked.

The .player file has 3.63kb, the .worlds 2.35mb and 3.34mb.

I tried everything, no luck getting it to work. It was a great game but i really dont want to start all over again. I had almost everything, only duke fishron left to fight and this happens. Im done with it.

I tried everything, no luck getting it to work. It was a great game but i really dont want to start all over again. I had almost everything, only duke fishron left to fight and this happens. Im done with it.
Since you can move the files around, perhaps you could copy the .world file to a PC and take a look at it in a Hex Editor or something. If it's empty (e.g it just contains zeroes) then you'll know it's a lost cause. If not empty then it might be salvageable.

BTW the problem could be something stupid like wrong file permissions. Terraria may not be allowed to read the world file.

Back
Top Bottom