tModLoader The Spirit Mod!

It seems pretty much impossible if you try to give him a fair fight; that is, dodging, dashing, studying patterns, and so on. He's way too fast and does way too much damage for stats and abilities to matter all that much; the only thing that counts is sustained damage while he eats your dust. So, skyrail. And then the only difficulty is preventing him from despawning, which he's finicky about. In the end all I had to do was watch his icon on the minimap, make sure he wasn't falling too far behind, while keeping my speed around 80 mph. After that, point in the other direction and hold down left-click.
(Nebula armor is obviously useless under such circumstances, so I went back to Spectre.)
Has anyone done it some other way? Did I miss something? Is there some combination of buffs, armor, and accessories that let you fight the Overseer fairly, like a traditional boss?
I didn't want to cheese him, but honestly, when something does 400 damage to me twice in under a second, I'm not sure how many options I have. `:(

It seems pretty much impossible if you try to give him a fair fight; that is, dodging, dashing, studying patterns, and so on. He's way too fast and does way too much damage for stats and abilities to matter all that much; the only thing that counts is sustained damage while he eats your dust. So, skyrail. And then the only difficulty is preventing him from despawning, which he's finicky about. In the end all I had to do was watch his icon on the minimap, make sure he wasn't falling too far behind, while keeping my speed around 80 mph. After that, point in the other direction and hold down left-click.
(Nebula armor is obviously useless under such circumstances, so I went back to Spectre.)
Has anyone done it some other way? Did I miss something? Is there some combination of buffs, armor, and accessories that let you fight the Overseer fairly, like a traditional boss?
I didn't want to cheese him, but honestly, when something does 400 damage to me twice in under a second, I'm not sure how many options I have. `:(
It's been a while since I've gotten some solid info on the Overseer. I've been on the fence about buffing/nerfing him due to the sparsity of post-Moon Lord Spirit content. However, looking through the stats, I will agree that my latest buff was too extreme, and I'm nerfing him right now.

It's been a while since I've gotten some solid info on the Overseer. I've been on the fence about buffing/nerfing him due to the sparsity of post-Moon Lord Spirit content. However, looking through the stats, I will agree that my latest buff was too extreme, and I'm nerfing him right now.
Yeah, I'd say just tone down the stats, but maybe give him even more abilities; the Moon Lord's teleport might be a start, so the cheesy solution wouldn't work anymore. For the few seconds he was on screen, he looked like a great boss, and there were those ghost-like things which I never really got to see much of either. All the other bosses demand pattern recognition and sustainability; it'd be nice if those came into play with the Overseer fight, too.
Atlas is a great example of a boss who telegraphs his moves. `:) Hmm, in retrospect, his stats might need a mild buff - though I was using a T3 Solus so that's something to consider - but the thing that's great about him is that he plays fair; there's time to react, and he doesn't outpace tier-appropriate wings + speed potion once you know what he's going to do. It'd be fine if the Overseer was faster than endgame wings, just not endgame wings and a buff. The first couple of times I tried a stand-up fight, I thought I could see the dash cue, but it was so fast that even my RoD couldn't get me out of the way, even though I had my cursor pre-positioned, waiting for it, and I use Helpful Hotkeys to tie it to the thumb button on my mouse.

Yeah, I'd say just tone down the stats, but maybe give him even more abilities; the Moon Lord's teleport might be a start, so the cheesy solution wouldn't work anymore. For the few seconds he was on screen, he looked like a great boss, and there were those ghost-like things which I never really got to see much of either. All the other bosses demand pattern recognition and sustainability; it'd be nice if those came into play with the Overseer fight, too.
Atlas is a great example of a boss who telegraphs his moves. `:) Hmm, in retrospect, his stats might need a mild buff - though I was using a T3 Solus so that's something to consider - but the thing that's great about him is that he plays fair; there's time to react, and he doesn't outpace tier-appropriate wings + speed potion once you know what he's going to do. It'd be fine if the Overseer was faster than endgame wings, just not endgame wings and a buff. The first couple of times I tried a stand-up fight, I thought I could see the dash cue, but it was so fast that even my RoD couldn't get me out of the way, even though I had my cursor pre-positioned, waiting for it, and I use Helpful Hotkeys to tie it to the thumb button on my mouse.
Yeah, I agree with you as well. The Overseer hit too hard to fight him as a traditional boss, and I was never able to see his true abilities. I ended up killing the Ragnarok before him, and then cheesing him with the Terrarian's Last Knife.

I ended up killing the Ragnarok before him, and then cheesing him with the Terrarian's Last Knife.
Haven't played Thorium in a while, like before that Knife was introduced, I think. But Ragnarok was a good fight, demanding concentration to avoid telegraphed damage, pattern recognition to get out of potential bad situations as they tried to herd you, and sustainability to recover from inevitable mistakes. Lastly, the time limit served as an unforgiving gear check. Tough, but fair.

Haven't played Thorium in a while, like before that Knife was introduced, I think. But Ragnarok was a good fight, demanding concentration to avoid telegraphed damage, pattern recognition to get out of potential bad situations as they tried to herd you, and sustainability to recover from inevitable mistakes. Lastly, the time limit served as an unforgiving gear check. Tough, but fair.
I found the boss fight very challenging, but doable as well. It had satisfying loot, and was enjoyable as well. Dunno if you fought the Dying Reality Expert Phase, it was quite a challenge. The worst attack in that fight imo was Omnicide's Laughing Skull circles.

I found the boss fight very challenging, but doable as well. It had satisfying loot, and was enjoyable as well. Dunno if you fought the Dying Reality Expert Phase, it was quite a challenge. The worst attack in that fight imo was Omnicide's Laughing Skull circles.
Looks like it got a buff since I was last in Thorium `:happy: I was tempted to back to it after this run, but Spirit's artifact weapons are so cool I'd decided to do another Spirit run instead - maybe melee this time. How do the two of them play together, Thorium and Spirit? Any glaring discrepancies in power level? If not, I might just add Thorium to the modlist instead of putting it off again. I've never played with two big mods together, though.

Looks like it got a buff since I was last in Thorium `:happy: I was tempted to back to it after this run, but Spirit's artifact weapons are so cool I'd decided to do another Spirit run instead - maybe melee this time. How do the two of them play together, Thorium and Spirit? Any glaring discrepancies in power level? If not, I might just add Thorium to the modlist instead of putting it off again. I've never played with two big mods together, though.
Thorium works quite nicely with Spirit. Although, Spirit seems to be on the weaker side in terms of gear in some areas. Playing together with Thorium, Spirit, and Calamity imo, has been an enjoyable experience, and frankly I can't go back.

Thorium works quite nicely with Spirit. Although, Spirit seems to be on the weaker side in terms of gear in some areas. Playing together with Thorium, Spirit, and Calamity imo, has been an enjoyable experience, and frankly I can't go back.
I'd love to hear where Spirit Gear is weaker. I usually am very timid when it comes to balancing, as I never want to make things OP. However, that may lead me to make things underpowered as well :p

I'd love to hear where Spirit Gear is weaker. I usually am very timid when it comes to balancing, as I never want to make things OP. However, that may lead me to make things underpowered as well :p
The Wither/Reaper gear seems underpowered compared to Thorium post-Plantera gear, say Dread armor or Shade Master Armor.

Thorium works quite nicely with Spirit. Although, Spirit seems to be on the weaker side in terms of gear in some areas.
Thanks for the reassurance! I think what I'll do is add Thorium, but check with WMITF to make sure I'm only using mod-appropriate gear on each mod's bosses, at least for the initial fights. Hmm, might need BoH too, given my incurable hoarding addiction.

Thanks for the reassurance! I think what I'll do is add Thorium, but check with WMITF to make sure I'm only using mod-appropriate gear on each mod's bosses, at least for the initial fights. Hmm, might need BoH too, given my incurable hoarding addiction.
Great to hear it! Enjoy your playthrough! Also, if you haven't added it already, I recommend Magic Storage, it greatly helps with inventory management.

HI, I found a neat little bug that isn't game changing! When you hit a target dummy with the "earth Blade" the hitbox starts to walk/ move away from the dummy itself!! (My color settings change because of my recording buttons alt+F9)

Last edited:
HI, I found a neat little bug that isn't game changing! When you hit a target dummy with the "earth Blade" it starts to walk!! (My color settings change because of my recording buttons alt+F9)
It does look like a bug, but the dummy's not walking or doing anything special. That's just its hit animation...

Came across what looks like a missing thingy in a Reach; same pink shade as an unloaded block or item. (It's just to the left of the heart crystal, between the two torches.) This world has both Spirit and Thorium loaded, but hovering over it with WMITF says [Spirit Mod]. (Can't figure out how to get that tooltip in a screenshot.) Hitting it with a pickaxe destroys it, but I reloaded my backup to a previous point in case you need some other kind of test.

Attachments

• Terraria - missing thingy in a Reach.JPG
    Terraria - missing thingy in a Reach.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 304
Back
Top Bottom