tModLoader Vanilla Tweaks + other little tweak mods

Discussion in 'Works-in-Progress' started by goldenapple, Dec 9, 2015.

1. goldenapple

goldenapple Steampunker

Welcome! This is a combined thread for some of my little mods that don't really add any content to Terraria. Instead they just change some things from the regular game.
    I decided to put all of these mods into a big megathread because I really don't feel like they are big enough to deserve their own threads.

Table of contents:

[​IMG]
    Vanilla Tweaks
    My main tweak mod. It pretty much contains a whole ton of different little tweaks. There's no particular theme to them, they are just random ideas.
    Anyway, here's the list of changes:
    • [​IMG] Extractinator is now 5x faster. You can change this multiplier in the config file, but this is the maximum.
    • [​IMG] Gladiator armor was buffed.
      • Defense increased from 2/3/2 to 5/6/5.
      • Set bonus: +15% crit chance.
      • Now has [​IMG] rarity.
    • [​IMG] Obsidian armor was buffed.
      • Each set piece now gives +3% ranged crit chance.
      • Set bonus: +10% movement speed.
      • Now leaves a trail behind the player when moving.
      • Now has [​IMG] rarity.
    • [​IMG] Meteor armor was changed.
      • No longer gives magic bonuses. The 0 Space Gun mana cost stays the same, though.
      • Defense decreased from 5/6/5 to 4/5/4.
      • The reason behind the nerf is so people can try some other mage armors, such as Jungle or Robes.
    • [​IMG] [​IMG] Eskimo armor was buffed.
      • Has a 3% drop chance (6% in Expert Mode)
      • Defense increased from 1/2/1 to 3/4/3.
      • Each set piece allows touching cold water without freezing (Expert Mode only).
      • Set bonus: +4 defense, less damage taken from Ice enemies (Warmth buff), immunity to Chilled, Frozen and Frostburn.
      • Now has [​IMG] rarity.
    • [​IMG] Pharaoh's Clothes are now an early-game summoner set.
      • Mask gives 3 defense and +5% minion damage.
      • Robe gives 4 defense and +5% minion damage.
      • Full set gives +1 minion slot.
    • [​IMG] Crimson armor now gives +12% melee damage instead of +6% all damage.
    • [​IMG]Rain armor is now vanity.
    • [​IMG] [​IMG]The Breaker and Flesh Grinder's hammer power increased from 55 to 65 (just slightly below the Molten Hamaxe).
    • [​IMG] Meteor Hamaxe's hammer power reduced from 60 to 50 and axe power reduced from 100 to 70.
    • [​IMG] Molten Hamaxe's axe power reduced from 150 to 80.
    • [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Night's Edge, True Night's Edge and True Excalibur now auto-swing.
    • [​IMG] Bone Blocks now drop Bones when mined.
    • [​IMG] Jester's Arrows are now crafted in stacks of 50.
    • [​IMG] Molotov Cocktails now have an alternative recipe.
      • Same as regular recipe, but with 25 Gel instead of 1 Pink Gel.
    • [​IMG] Sitting Duck's Fishing Pole is now Hardmode only.
    • [​IMG] Mechanic's Rod is now sold more often.
    • [​IMG] Undead Miners now drop Mining armor pieces with a 33% chance (50% in Expert mode)
      • Also, they are now considered "rare creatures" and will be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.
    • [​IMG] SWAT Helmet was drastically buffed.
      • It now gives 14 defense instead of being vanity.
      • Gives 15% increased ranged damage (to all weapon types) and 5% increased ranged crit chance.
      • It's much better than Shroomite, though it doesn't count towards any armor set bonuses.
    • [​IMG] Skull's texture has been flipped (it's now facing right, just like all helmets and hats)
      • The flipping effect should work with Texture packs, too.
    • [​IMG] Fish Bowl now gives you 1 defense. You'll still drown if you wear it though.
    • [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Sandstone Brick, Sandstone Brick Wall and Sandstone Slab renamed to Sand Brick, Sand Brick Wall and Sand Slab respectively (they're not made out of Sandstone!)
    • [​IMG]Cobalt Shield renamed to Guardian's Shield (I always thought it was weird that you can get a shield out of HM ore in pre-Hardmode... and it's even weirder if you get Palladium).
    • Gold Critters now drop 2 Gold when killed (you can still catch them and sell them for 10 Gold though).
    • Removed "Item is favorited" tooltips.
    • All coin recipes (e.g. 1 Silver to 100 Copper etc.) are now always at the end of the recipe list. Which means that in the crafting menu they now show up AFTER all recipes from other mods.
    Note: this mod has an options file! This means that if you don't like some feature, but you want to have all the others, you can disable it by editing a simple text file (or by installing Flashkirby's Mod Settings Configurator). More info in the Enabling and disabling optional features section.
    Feel free to suggest some more!

Download:
    • Mod Browser
    • GitHub (all versions): link

[​IMG]
    Boss Expertise
    Is Expert Mode too frustrating for you, but you still want a bit of a challenge? Do you think Normal Mode bosses are too boring?
    Then this mod is probably for you! Boss Expertise makes bosses move and behave like in Expert Mode when you're in Normal Mode (without changing their stats). This works on bosses from other mods too!

Optional features:
    • Bosses drop Treasure Bags even in Normal mode (disabled by default).
    • Demon Heart now works in Normal Mode (disabled by default).
      • Note! To use the Demon Heart in Normal Mode you have to right-click on it in your inventory!
    • /expert command which toggles Expert mode in a world (enabled by default).
    • Button in the Cheat Sheet mod menu which does the same thing (enabled by default).
    If you want to, you can disable the boss AI change as well (if you only want the commands/Treasure Bags but don't want harder bosses).

How to disable or enable optional features

Download:

• Mod Browser

[​IMG]
    Dye Easy
    Dye Easy is a tiny mod that makes Basic and Compound dyes much easier to get by changing their crafting recipes. It's based on one of my old suggestions, way back from 1.2. Yes, I know that those dyes aren't as cool anymore since the release of Strange dyes... But let's at least give them a chance!:)

So, here's the list of changes:
    • You now get 3 Basic dyes per recipe. That way finding just one ingredient is enough for a full set of armor. For example: [​IMG]1x Red Husk = [​IMG] 3x Red Dye.
    • When you combine dyes, you get the same amount of dye that you used in the recipe. For example: [​IMG] 1x Red Dye + [​IMG] 1x Orange Dye + [​IMG] 1x Yellow Dye = [​IMG] 3x Flame Dye, [​IMG] 1x Cyan Dye + [​IMG] 1x Black Dye = [​IMG] 2x Cyan and Black Dye etc.
    • Note that recipes for Bright Silver, Intense Flame/Rainbow, Pink Gel, Shifting Pearlsands and Lunar dyes remain unchanged.
    Also, theoretically this mod should work with dyes from other mods.

Download:
    • Mod Browser

[​IMG]
    Which Mod Is This From?
    Which Mod Is This From? (WMITF for short) shows mod an item, block or NPC comes from.
    [​IMG]
    Yep, that's it. It's supposed to be used when you play with a lot of mods at once.

You can enable block/NPC tooltips with a keybinding (? by default).
    You can disable item tooltips in this mod's config file (see the Enabling and Disabling Optional Features spoiler below).

(inspired by the Minecraft mod WAILA by ProfMobius)

Download:

• Mod Browser

[​IMG]
    OmniSwing
    This mod makes every single weapon in the game auto-swing. And it's compatible with other mods.

• Magic Dagger and Phoenix Blaster are blacklisted as auto-shoot makes them quite OP.
    • New in v2.0: You can blacklist/whitelist certain items via /omniSwing chat command. Only works in singleplayer or if you're a server owner.

A few people requested to add this feature to Vanilla Tweaks, but instead I made this a separate mod because in my opinion it's a little overpowered. Can't deny that it's fun, though.

This mod can be a bit buggy, so please report any problems you see.

Download:
    • Mod Browser

Enabling and disabling optional features:
    There are multiple ways of doing this. You can either edit the mod's options file manually or install Flashkirby's Mod Settings Configurator to select features in-game. If you have hamstar's Mod Helpers installed, you can also edit options without leaving the game.

Here's a step-by-step guide:
    1. Download the mod and launch the game at least once.
    2. Find the Terraria save folder (on Windows it's My Documents/My Games/Terraria).
    3. Go to Terraria/ModLoader/Mod Configs/. Inside, you should see a file called <mod name>.json (in our example, it's Boss Expertise.json).
    4. Open it with any text editor such as Notepad.
    5. The file should look like this:
      Code:
      {
        "DropTreasureBagsInNormal": false,
        "DemonHeartWorksInNormal": false,
        "ChangeBossAI": true,
        "AddCheatSheetButton": true,
        "AddExpertCommand": true
      }

6. Change the value that you need to either "false" (to disable the feature) or "true" (to enable it). If it's a numerical value, just enter any number you want.
    7. Either re-launch the game or go to Terraria's Main Menu -> Mods -> Reload Mods.

That's it for now! Feedback, suggestions (and bug reports) are appreciated!

Discord & Support:
    My Discord server is a great way to suggest mod features, discuss the mods, keep up with new stuff I'm working, and just hang out in general.

If you feel like supporting the mod, consider adding these icons to your signature!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Vanilla Tweaks:
    Code:
    [URL='https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/vanilla-tweaks-other-little-tweak-mods.37443/'][IMG]https://raw.githubusercontent.com/goldenapple3/VanillaTweaks/master/icon.png[/IMG][/URL]
    Boss Expertise:
    Code:
    [URL='https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/vanilla-tweaks-other-little-tweak-mods.37443/'][IMG]https://raw.githubusercontent.com/goldenapple3/BossExpertise/master/icon.png[/IMG][/URL]
    OmniSwing:
    Code:
    [URL='https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/vanilla-tweaks-other-little-tweak-mods.37443/'][IMG]https://raw.githubusercontent.com/goldenapple3/OmniSwing/master/icon.png[/IMG][/URL]
    Which Mod is This From?:
    Code:
    [URL='https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/vanilla-tweaks-other-little-tweak-mods.37443/'][IMG]https://raw.githubusercontent.com/goldenapple3/WMITF/master/icon.png[/IMG][/URL]
    Dye Easy:
    Code:
    [URL='https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/vanilla-tweaks-other-little-tweak-mods.37443/'][IMG]https://raw.githubusercontent.com/goldenapple3/DyeEasy/master/icon.png[/IMG][/URL]

If anybody wants to help with translating any of my mods, PM me and we'll discuss it.

Note: all of my mods' source code is available on GitHub, if anybody wants to take a look at it.

Special thanks:
    • @Hulvdan for providing me the Extractinator speed up code.
    • @Yalgrin for updating WMITF while I was gone.
    • Flashkirby for creating Mod Settings Configurator.
    • Blushiemagic, jopojelly, Jofairden and others for creating tML, and of course Re-Logic for creating Terraria.

All of these mods are licensed under the MIT License, which means that they are open-source.

Therefore, if I stop updating them and you want to do it yourself, feel free to do it! You can release your versions to the public, as long as you credit me as the original author and don't change the license.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    Talamarie, Snork1213, Yune and 16 others like this.
  2. gui10pow

gui10pow Skeletron Prime

This is the same mod than the other, no? One suggestion: The mage pre hm armors need a buff, (except the meteor armor) the meteorite It can be acquired earlier in the game than diamond robe, jungle armor, gypsy robe, wizard hat etc.(using bombs to explode orbs) one suggestion:
    Upgrade the armors but:
    Meteor armor changes: Reduces the mana cost of the Space Gun to ̶z̶e̶r̶o̶ three

Good mod and thank you for doing the night's edge
    auto-swing

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  3. goldenapple

goldenapple Steampunker

I had one big thread for all of my "tiny mods" before but I closed it down and decided to give each mod a separate thread.

About the mage armors: I've never played as a mage in pre-Hardmode so I won't be able to balance them well. I can give a slight nerf to Meteor Armor though.

Also thank you. :)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  4. Kodokou

Kodokou Steampunker

I actually have an idea!
    Make altars be detected by the metal detector and spelunker potions(If it isn't already :p)

5. goldenapple

goldenapple Steampunker

I made Shadow Orbs detectable because when you break them, they give you loot directly (just like ores, chests, pots etc). Meanwhile, Demon Altars just make ores spawn elsewhere, if that makes sense.

6. Khaelis

Khaelis Plantera

I love you for the fact that you've made both the Gladiator's set and Obsidian Outlaw set actual armour sets, especially the Obsidian Outlaw set. Terraria needs a mid-game Ranged set. You get Necro Armour too late in Pre-hardmode and it's easily replaced once you reach Hardmode, and let's be honest, that's probably like an hour after you get Necro Armour.

Tyro likes this.
  7. SnoekHook

SnoekHook Terrarian

tModLoader v0.7 is out and apparently all mods need to be updated for it (so says bluemagic123). I was using most of your mods in 0.6, so I figured I'd let you know about the update. Great mods btw.

gui10pow likes this.
  8. goldenapple

goldenapple Steampunker

Oh. Thanks for telling me! I'll make sure to update all of my mods when I have time this weekend.
    Also thank you for the support!

9. goldenapple

goldenapple Steampunker

So, the port to tML v0.7 is finally done!
    Not only that, but I also added some new features:
    • [​IMG] [​IMG] Meteor armor was changed.
      • No longer gives magic bonuses. The 0 Space Gun mana cost stays the same, though.
      • Defense decreased from 5/6/5 to 4/5/4.
      • The reason behind the nerf is so that people use some other mage armors, such as Jungle or Robes.
    • [​IMG] Bone Blocks now drop Bones when mined.
    As you can see, I went with a slightly different route for the Meteor armor than @gui10pow suggested.:) But the idea is still the same.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    gui10pow likes this.
  10. Dray

Dray Terrarian

The mod browser doesn't seem to pick up any mods. I'm on mac and I'm also running tmod 0.6, so I assume that is the problem. Is there a way you could attach a download link as well?

11. goldenapple

goldenapple Steampunker

Update to tModLoader v0.7.

12. NeoPhantom

NeoPhantom Skeletron Prime

How about making vanity sets actually useful as main armor? I mean, they gave some of them defenses, but not nearly enough to make them useful when you can just get cactus armor more quickly...

Also, make Pearlwood armor actually goid as a starter hardmode armor. Maybe better defense than molten but without set bonus? At present its only useful if you manually create hallow prehardmode before bringing the character you want to use in the playtgrough...

Similarly, buff the stats of hard to farm items with abysmal utility once obtained...

gui10pow likes this.
  13. gui10pow

gui10pow Skeletron Prime

TRUE. I recommend to be a set to wizards, or without stats. But it can have some requiriment that is'nt sooooooo easy to get like wood, but you can get it in final of pre-hardmode

14. MouseyMouse

MouseyMouse Eye of Cthulhu

Hmmm. Bit too nerfed.

15. goldenapple

goldenapple Steampunker

A buff for Pearlwood armor is actually a good idea! I'll probably make it slightly worse than Molten though. Vanity sets... I might give some bonuses to a few vanity pieces, such as the Kimono or the SWAT helmet, but everything else will stay the same.

I'm trying to make an equal amount of buffs and nerfs.

Side note: I set up a MediaFire link just in case the Mod Browser isn't working for some people.

16. Pawlick

Pawlick Spazmatism

I guess why I haven't seen it before. Amazing mod, keep doing it, 'couse many things are unbalanced in Terraria(a bit, but still)! The next thing you should nerf are those damn
    Fetid Baghnakhs. Reduce their damage or speed because they are just ridiculous. :red:

17. 3LAMESTUDIO

3LAMESTUDIO Pixel Pirate

If I were to suggest a few changes for items:

Buff the excalibur, maybe? It's rendered futile as soon as you get to the jungle after defeating all 3 mechs. Or you can just craft it immediately into the true version. It should have increased swing speed and slightly more knockback.

The flamethrower is sorta useless once you get the megashark, buff the damage a little.

18. Zsashas

Zsashas Plantera

That's kind of the point of them, though.

19. Pawlick

Pawlick Spazmatism

I don't think that it's their point to be overpowered like hell. They are just ridicolous on this point of the game. :redmunch:

20. Zsashas

Zsashas Plantera

They trade high speed and damage for extremely close range. Feels balanced to me.

Will this be updated for tModLoader 0.8?