tModLoader The Thorium Mod

Except, uh, no, Ragnarok really, truly, honestly is much easier than Moonlord in pretty much every respect, even alone.

Shilling the balance mod when it had nothing to do with either point in the post also doesn't really have anything to do with anything.

I'm going to just be honest here. I question your idea of balance. I played a bit with some of the reworked items from last patch, and I don't think they were a really good move. Some of them were, others not so much. The philosophy of "they can just be rebalanced later" is an absolutely terrible one to have, I don't think the community should be the one betatesting every single change to things that were honestly just fine. Watch yourself. I'm seeing a lot of "me" and "I" when you discuss the balance of Thorium. You have a lot of power and responsibility, and from the posts I see in this thread, seem to be on a bit of a trip with twisting the mod into your image. Avoid this. Nobody wants the best mod on the service to crumble from within.

Signed: a relogic betatester.

I did mention about ragnarok earlier. Not everything is going to be perfect, but it's working towards it. I do apologize if ive given you the idea that i'm solely driving the balancing. I am working with Divermansam. It takes time. Please be patient. Ragnarok is something that takes a lot more time to balance than just some items. I know that it's easier than it should be. I cannot comment what we are planning to do about this. And i'm not putting off the balancing for later. I'm working as hard as I can. It takes time. So please be patient.

To be fair the Ragnarok is very easy to fight because by the point you fight him you can just kinda...obliterate him depending on your class. In comparison to the Moonlord at least. What makes the Moonlord hard is he hits like a mack truck but you also can't just constantly stream damage onto him. Plus as you chip parts off of him they now do lots more damage ontop of needing to hit the exposed spots.

Yeah I know about ragnarok's issues. It needs more of a rework than just some health. Thank you for pointing that out though. It's all apart of the plan!

@Bluemario610 I do apologize about blowing you off. I had made an assumption.

@everyone Ragnarok may need a rework. But it requires a lot more time and will need to be addressed on a weekend.

Something to keep in mind when designing boss fights is that the mechanics should be challenging. Especially for Expert mode. That being said I feel like a lot of Thorium bosses are somewhat like Vanilla bosses but their mechanics or even fights are just...generally to shoot things and ram the player. The Star Scouter is probably one of the more interesting fights because he ramps up what he does and doesn't immediately charge you. Though he does sweep from side to side making him a somewhat easy target to predict.

Something to keep in mind when designing boss fights is that the mechanics should be challenging. Especially for Expert mode. That being said I feel like a lot of Thorium bosses are somewhat like Vanilla bosses but their mechanics or even fights are just...generally to shoot things and ram the player. The Star Scouter is probably one of the more interesting fights because he ramps up what he does and doesn't immediately charge you. Though he does sweep from side to side making him a somewhat easy target to predict.

I wasn't apart of the project when Ragnarok was made. But an unpredictable boss is always a fun boss!

I wasn't apart of the project when Ragnarok was made. But an unpredictable boss is always a fun boss!
As long as they aren't too unpredictable. There should always be a method to the madness at least. That being said I hope the bosses end up becoming a real challenging fight in the future and look forward to seeing them.

As long as they aren't too unpredictable. There should always be a method to the madness at least. That being said I hope the bosses end up becoming a real challenging fight in the future and look forward to seeing them.

Of course of course.

To clear the air. I've pm'd a few people.

If anyone has balance suggestions, please state what needs to be rebalanced, what should be changed, and how it should be changed.

Hearing how Rag is too easy is helpful. But not as helpful as hearing how you feel he should be made harder!

Last edited:
Ragnarok doesn't do enough damage quickly. Using Blast Shield and the Reality Breaker armour post-nerf I was able to basically tank damage up until 3rd phase Slag Fury and out-DPS it without a tonne of difficulty. I don't think it needs any more chaos, just a small damage buff to make the fight more about dodging and strategy than just a flat DPS race. Of course, the utter insanity of Expert Moon Lord shouldn't ever be replicated, but with maybe just 10 to 20 more damage a hit then Ragnarok would become an actual post-Moon Lord boss with an interesting new strategy to utilise, since Ragnarok doesn't get blocked by blocks. I feel like especially mages shouldn't be able to win a DPS race with an endgame boss and should be more focused on a mix of hard-hitting attacks and good dodging. It makes the fight feel a lot more like a test of true skill, instead of having good enough gear to win. However, that's just my opinion.

perhaps a alteration of omnicides curse could help make it more challenging?
When the trio are spawned, the curse of omnicide have some new primary effects:

The countdown for killing omnicide as before will still be present, but with some added effects, early on it remains the same as before, 1:30 after the spawn, the curse begins to get more intense, inflicting debuffs unique to the fight:

1:30: Omniblunt, Decreases all damage the player deals by 5%.
2:00: OmniRust, Decreases defense by 8.
2:30: OmniBleed, Decreases health regen by 1.
3:00 Omnimute, Decreases Mana regen by 20%.

In addition to these effects, Aquaius and Slag-Fury will have shields around them making them invincible until Omnicide has been killed, to compensate for this, their attacks will not be as frequent or powerful as normal until Omnicide is downed.

for Slag-fury:

I dont have too much to think of for slag-fury, since he has received a large amount of buffs and features over time:

taking direct contact damage from Slag-fury will inflict the Fury blaze debuff, causing a high amount of damage over time and weakening weapons for its duration:

Fury Blaze, 10 HP/sec, 10% damage decrease, duration: 5 seconds (8 on expert).

and finally Aquaius:

like slag-fury, i dont really have much on what he could have:

All Aquaius's attacks have a 15% chance to inflict the slow debuff, making the ankh shield or similar a very good accessory to have for the fight.

These are things which i feel would make the fight much more enjoyable and challenging to face.

perhaps a alteration of omnicides curse could help make it more challenging?
When the trio are spawned, the curse of omnicide have some new primary effects:

The countdown for killing omnicide as before will still be present, but with some added effects, early on it remains the same as before, 1:30 after the spawn, the curse begins to get more intense, inflicting debuffs unique to the fight:

1:30: Omniblunt, Decreases all damage the player deals by 5%.
2:00: OmniRust, Decreases defense by 8.
2:30: OmniBleed, Decreases health regen by 1.
3:00 Omnimute, Decreases Mana regen by 20%.

In addition to these effects, Aquaius and Slag-Fury will have shields around them making them invincible until Omnicide has been killed, to compensate for this, their attacks will not be as frequent or powerful as normal until Omnicide is downed.

for Slag-fury:

I dont have too much to think of for slag-fury, since he has received a large amount of buffs and features over time:

taking direct contact damage from Slag-fury will inflict the Fury blaze debuff, causing a high amount of damage over time and weakening weapons for its duration:

Fury Blaze, 10 HP/sec, 10% damage decrease, duration: 5 seconds (8 on expert).

and finally Aquaius:

like slag-fury, i dont really have much on what he could have:

All Aquaius's attacks have a 15% chance to inflict the slow debuff, making the ankh shield or similar a very good accessory to have for the fight.

These are things which i feel would make the fight much more enjoyable and challenging to face.

The Aquaius buff is an incredibly negligible buff, because the Ankh shield is basically a must-have item for Hardmode.

Minor bug I just found with Strange Crates (these are from Thorium, right?), they don't allow for stacking crates on top of them.

Last edited:
Cool mod, but WHAT VERSION OF TERRARIA?
Is it 1.3.2.1 ready? Or 1.3.0.8?
Yeah, the wiki is barebones and version is found nowhere. Searching for 30 mins turned up nothing.
[doublepost=1471438145,1471438037][/doublepost]
THorium wiki - 30 pages, none to show the version.
I don't want to screw up by blindly installing the latest on 1.3.0.8

Yeah, the wiki is barebones and version is found nowhere. Searching for 30 mins turned up nothing.
Its usually safe to assume that Thorium is updated to always work on the latest update to Terraria and Tmodloader.

AQz8Zrd.png

I have Healer ideas but they are bad imo but here they are I guess:

Torment - Corruption Stave Variant; fires a projectile that if hits an ally, givs them a temporary buff that grants them a Brain of Confusion effect | 12 Demonite Bars @ an Anvil

Lazarus - Crimson Stave Variant; No idea what this would do, maybe it would give the allies temporary regeneration? | 12 Crimtane Bars @ an Anvil

Rising Tide - Fires an AOE Blue Bubble that grants any ally who goes into it a 25 second Speed buff | Drops from most mobs in the prehardmode dungeon

Rage Rod - Fires a wave of fire that gives a temporary 5-10% damage boost | Either drops from underworld mobs or crafted (24 Hellstone Bars + 10 Holy Shards @ Hellforge)

Midnight Sun - Casts a star circle under your cursor; if an ally is in the star circle, they get a temporary nerfed Star Cloak effect | Life's Gift + Rising Tide + Rage Rod + Torment @ a Demon Altar

Gore Gamble - No idea what this would do | Life's Gift + Rising Tide + Rage Rod + Lazarus @ a Demon Altar

also please earlygame healer support D:

Anyways, is it compatible with imksushi mod and tremor mod? If not, which of them is compatible?
They're both compatable, but Tremor has a few issues with waiting a long time for a new full version.
(I've not tried it, but from what I've heard think of it as the current version as an alpha version, and Temor 1.3 as a full release.)
But a lot of people have played with Imksushi's mod and have been saying it's really fun.
Both together should be compatible, just know that Tremor's not in it's best shape quite yet.

And personally I recommend Calamity. It's a very fun mod.

upload_2016-8-17_13-0-10.png

it's literally on the front page.

I have Healer ideas but they are bad imo but here they are I guess:

Torment - Corruption Stave Variant; fires a projectile that if hits an ally, givs them a temporary buff that grants them a Brain of Confusion effect | 12 Demonite Bars @ an Anvil

Lazarus - Crimson Stave Variant; No idea what this would do, maybe it would give the allies temporary regeneration? | 12 Crimtane Bars @ an Anvil

Rising Tide - Fires an AOE Blue Bubble that grants any ally who goes into it a 25 second Speed buff | Drops from most mobs in the prehardmode dungeon

Rage Rod - Fires a wave of fire that gives a temporary 5-10% damage boost | Either drops from underworld mobs or crafted (24 Hellstone Bars + 10 Holy Shards @ Hellforge)

Midnight Sun - Casts a star circle under your cursor; if an ally is in the star circle, they get a temporary nerfed Star Cloak effect | Life's Gift + Rising Tide + Rage Rod + Torment @ a Demon Altar

Gore Gamble - No idea what this would do | Life's Gift + Rising Tide + Rage Rod + Lazarus @ a Demon Altar

also please earlygame healer support D:

There is a potential healer rework coming in the future, it's still early. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom