Sprites The Weather Potions

Do you think Weather Potions are a good idea?

• If there was a percentage below 0% that would be how much I want this in the game.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like the potion idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Reepicheep

The Destroyer
Background
-------
It was a dark, stormy night.... There's a torrent of rain coming down, and by golly you just want to build your house without being bothered by the darned angry clouds. So you go into your bag and take out a potion, upon drinking it the sky clears, the sun shines, and those angry clouds run away to plot their revenge.

The Suggestions
-------​
This suggestion is decently straightforward and simple, and it is to add four or five new potions, named: Sandstorm Potion, Dry Potion, Rain Potion, Flood Potion, and maybe a Blizzard Potion. They would have have a 60 second debuff that stops them from being used that applies to all players (so that if you change the weather it's not instantly changed again), an idea for the debuff name is Weather Worn, but I'm open to suggestions.
Hey look, sprites.
Sandstorm Potion:
Sandstormpotion.png

Crafted with: Bottle, Sand Block (10)
Starts a Sandstorm when used.
Dry Potion:
Drypotion.png

Crafted with: Bottle, Cactus (5), Sand Block
Stops all rain/blizzards when used.
Rain Potion:
Rainpotion.png

Crafted with: Bottled Water, Waterleaf (5), Salmon
Starts rain when used.
Flood Potion:
Floodpotion.png

Crafted with: Bottled Water, Waterleaf (10), Trout
Starts heavy rain when used.

@Godley mentioned that it would make a lot more sense to throw something to change the weather rather than drink it, which is really straightforward and doesn't need more explaining. But this does because when you throw it the potion it flies up into the sky (not quite sure what would happen if you're under a building, maybe it just doesn't work), and then explodes into a quickly fading cloud, and then it starts raining or whatever you used. The Sandstorm potion wouldn't go as high though, because really the potion just needs to start up some wind and summon the ancient creatures of the desert.

That's the basic idea, and it would work fine like this, but it's a bit weird to put sand into a potion, right?

Extra Suggestion
-------​
Introducing... Dryleaf! It would look something like this:
Dryleaf.png
and the seeds:
Dryleafseeds.png
This little guy would grow on stone blocks in the Surface level, and would take longer to bloom than Waterleaf. It would drop the normal things when destroyed while blooming, 1-3 seeds and one Dryleaf (more if using the Staff of Regrowth). The conditions for blooming is that it hasn't rained in the past day (though this might be a bit hard to implement).
If the Dryleaf was added the recipe for the Dry Potion would change to: Bottle, Dryleaf (5), Cactus. And the Sandstorm Potion would change to: Bottle, Dryleaf (10). I'm trying to avoid using items that can be used up, but there isn't really any plant that would make sense in the game right now.

And here's another idea from @Lord Garak
Blizzard Potion:
BlizzardPotion.png

Crafted with: Bottled Water, Shiverthorn (10), Atlantic Cod
Starts Blizzard when used.
You may be like "But Blizzards are the same as rain, so this is redundant." But if this was implemented the Blizzard would be made into a different event from rain, similar to the Sandstorm.

Alternatively
-------​
@deftfunk suggested that there instead be a Weathervane block, which can be built with 5 Iron/Lead and is purely cosmetic. But later on you can combine it with 2 Souls of Might, 2 Souls of Sight, and 2 Souls of Fright to get the Enchanted Weathervane (it could also be fished up in hardmode instead of crafted, but that'd be boring). The Enchanted Weathervane can be right clicked to switch the current weather (so if it's raining, it would stop, if it's not raining, it would start) with a 15 minute (1 in-game day) cool down. A downside to this is that you really only have an on/off switch for rain, and one would have to just rely on luck for the rain to switch from normal to heavy or whatever. On the other hand, the cool down would stop it from being overused, so it's a kinda give and take situation.

Thanks and Sources
-------​
The original idea was from this thread, so thanks to @Muzu.
Thanks to @Lord Garak for the Sandstorm and Blizzard ideas.
Thanks to @CosmiKazie for the debuff idea.
Thanks to @Godley for the thrown idea.
Thanks to @deftfunk for the alternate Weathervane idea.
Everything but the Dryleaf stages are re-sprites by me, the originals are by Re-Logic, so thanks to them for making a great game.

And thanks to you for reading though this suggestion and helping to get it in the game!

V 0.1: Made the post.
V 0.2: Added two potions, Sandstorm and Blizzard. I also updated Dry and Flood sprites, changed wording in the OP, added some more clarity to the suggestion overall.
V 0.3: Added a debuff.
V 0.4: Added an alternative idea.

Last edited:
I might add that sandstorms are separate events from rain and should have their own potion. Part of this suggestion could also be detaching blizzards from rain and giving them their own potion too.

Hm... I agree with the sandstorms, I forgot about them for the most part. But the Blizzard/Heavy Blizzard happen when there's Rain/Heavy rain, and making them two different things would simply be more work for the developers, but I might make a sprite for it anyways. Though while looking this up I found that there's also light rain, but it doesn't seem to actually affect spawns of any sort and simply leads to rain. Thanks for the input. (great, I have to redo the recipes...)

I absolutely love this idea, on my thread i was going for items but i got something better POTIONS!!!
(p.s i think the dry potion is great but not going to get used much compared to your sandstorm potion, since rain is aesthetic and you get certain loot from it so people are more likely to use the other one but that's just my opinon)

Last edited:
It would need to have a cool down period similar to the potion sickness effect do that players couldn’t use it all the time. I would not recommend using in a multiplayer world.

It would need to have a cool down period similar to the potion sickness effect do that players couldn’t use it all the time. I would not recommend using in a multiplayer world.
Hm... maybe when one is used everyone gets the debuff so that you don't have constant changing.
How does a 60 second cool down sound?

I like this idea, as long as it applies to the whole world. E.g. if you use a blizzard potion, it applies to the whole world, even if you're in the desert/forest/etc. Now, mobs that normally only spawn in snow biomes will spawn wherever you are. It might be cool to have a "Lava Potion" or "Tormented Potion" that changes the background and mobs to the Underworld types, even if you're at the surface layer.

I like this idea, as long as it applies to the whole world. E.g. if you use a blizzard potion, it applies to the whole world, even if you're in the desert/forest/etc. Now, mobs that normally only spawn in snow biomes will spawn wherever you are. It might be cool to have a "Lava Potion" or "Tormented Potion" that changes the background and mobs to the Underworld types, even if you're at the surface layer.
As to the weather in biomes it normally can't be in, I'm not entirely sure what advantage that would give when you can save a lot (I'm assuming) of coding and just move to a different biome for your weather. And it would be cool to have potions (or objects) that change what spawns, but it's not really a weather thing so I'll leave that to you to make a suggestion for it.

Actually, what if you made the effects work on one player only, so that that player experiences it, but no one else does?

Actually, what if you made the effects work on one player only, so that that player experiences it, but no one else does?
That is an interesting idea, but then you'd have (for example) flying fish spawning while it's clear for one player because some other player used a rain potion. So really (unless some really complicated coding is done to make sure that enemies can only attack and be attacked by the player who has the correct environment) it would just be an aesthetic change for the people who don't want to see the rain. There's also things like fishing power to consider, in the end it would be easier to add a piece of equipment that just lets you change what you see.
Though if you have any other ideas I'd love to hear, this multiplayer quandary is, well, quite a quandary. The debuff helps, but with more people it would get crazy.

I suggest it to be turned into something you throw into the sky instead of drinking, because it makes no sense to drink something to change the wether.

I like the idea, but instead of potions, I'd make it placable furniture and call it the Weathervane. First, I would make a purely cosmetic version craftable out of iron or lead. Then combine that with some later-game item like Hallowed bars or something to make the Enchanted Weathervane. It can be right clicked to start rain/blizzard or sandstorm if the player is in the desert. And it can be right clicked to stop rain/blizzard/sandstorm. It's cooldown would work like the Enchanted Sundial, but hopefully not as long.

I like the idea, but instead of potions, I'd make it placable furniture and call it the Weathervane. First, I would make a purely cosmetic version craftable out of iron or lead. Then combine that with some later-game item like Hallowed bars or something to make the Enchanted Weathervane. It can be right clicked to start rain/blizzard or sandstorm if the player is in the desert. And it can be right clicked to stop rain/blizzard/sandstorm. It's cooldown would work like the Enchanted Sundial, but hopefully not as long.
I like the idea, though I'll put it in as an alternative rather than replacing everything (who knows if it'll get sprites). I'm thinking a 15 minute cooldown (1 in-game day, as apposed to the Sundial's 7 in-game days), but it just turns on rain if it's not, and turns it off if it is. This means that if you want heavy rain you'll just have to keep using it until the rain becomes heavier randomly.

WOW! Sprites are really good, even if most of them are just recolors. Great idea, and would really help out those in early Hardmode who are trying to get the nimbus rod. SUPPORT!

Back
Top Bottom