PC Tier List: Early- to Mid-Hardmode Weapons

652Graystripe

Plantera
652Graystripe said:
Other than that, I've decided to add an icon to the thread for "point of contention" that marks weapons that are up for change.
It looks like this.
145801-15f9301340fe2b294fb7ef85c56f34e8.jpg

To get it applied to an item - well, that's easy. You just have to say "I think X should be in Y tier", and it'll get applied, simple as that. If more people (e.g. one other person or more) back you up - I count as "more people" as well - I'll move it over.
Hope this makes the thread easier to navigate.

View the other threads:
Pre-Hard Mode
Late Hard Mode

It's a fact: some weapons are better than others. This thread is intended as a community-input encyclopedia on what weapons are the best and worth getting, pretty decent and useful, or not so useful at all. This also includes the "piece of crap" category, also known as the Unholy Trident.

When commenting as to why you think a weapon should be moved up or down, be sure you formulate a logical argument. "I like this weapon" or "I did something cool with this weapon" doesn't count. What we like most here are factual, stat-backed-up responses that can be done by anyone - just play around with the weapon and you'll see.

The following variables are taken into consideration:

-How much damage does the weapon do?
-Is it a single- or multi-target weapon?
-How useful is it in a variety of scenarios?
-Is it extremely useful in a single scenario?
-Is it difficult to get ammo or mana to sustain it?
-How hard is it to obtain?
-Any other factors that determine its usefulness, such as accuracy?

The thread covers all weapons that are available between the Wall of Flesh's defeat and Plantera's defeat. They're to be measured equally, since early HM weapons can't stack up to later ones - consider their use against the next major challenge coming. For example, one might measure the Poison Staff against the mechs or even some of the early-HM minibosses, whereas the Venom Staff would be judged against Plantera and Jungle-tier enemies. Duke Fishron's drops are not counted due to his balance.

If you disagree with this thread, feel free to tell me. It's only starting with my opinions; it will be changed according to that of the community. I am only the poster for something that I hope will become much larger. Thanks.

Note that, with the 1.4 update, this list has been shaken up quite a bit! An asterisk (*) denotes weapons that are either new or significantly modified, and as such require reevaluation. I will also include a section for weapons that I don't feel able to rank, since I haven't played as much as I would like since the update.

S Rank

This tier is relegated to the weapons that are undisputably the best and work well in almost all situations.
Amarok.png
Amarok
Megashark.png
Megashark
Nimbus_Rod.png
Nimbus Rod

A Rank
All weapons in this tier are considered to be extremely good and can be used effectively in most situations. Certain flaws hold them back.
A+
Clockwork_Assault_Rifle.png
Clockwork Assault Rifle
Crystal_Storm.png
Crystal Storm (
)
Dart_Rifle.png
Dart Rifle
Death_Sickle.png
Death Sickle
Onyx_Blaster.png
Onyx Blaster
Queen_Spider_Staff.png
Queen Spider Staff
Terra_Blade.png
Terra Blade (
)

A
Dao_of_Pow.png
Dao of Pow*
Dart_Pistol.png
Dart Pistol
Firecracker.png
Firecracker
Golden_Shower.png
Golden Shower
Shadowflame_Knife.png
Shadowflame Knife
Uzi.png
Uzi
Yelets.png
Yelets (
)

A-
Chain_Guillotines.png
Chain Guillotines
Code_2.png
Code 2
Cool_Whip.png
Cool Whip
Drippler_Crippler.png
Drippler Crippler*
Fetid_Baghnakhs.png
Fetid Baghnakhs*
Poison_Staff.png
Poison Staff* (
)
Spider_Staff.png
Spider Staff
Red%27s_Throw.png
Red's Throw/Valkyrie Yoyo
Venom_Staff.png
Venom Staff*

B Rank
Weapons here are worth using, but possibly not worth obtaining. Though they are widely effective, they have a few glaring flaws that make them less-than-desirable.

B+
Ballista_Cane.png
Ballista Cane
Blade_Staff.png
Blade Staff*
Chlorophyte_Shotbow.png
Chlorophyte Shotbow
Gatligator.png
Gatligator
Hel-Fire.png
Hel-Fire
Life_Drain.png
Life Drain (
)
Marrow.png
Marrow
Obsidian_Swordfish.png
Obsidian Swordfish*
Optic_Staff.png
Optic Staff
Pirate_Staff.png
Pirate Staff
Tome_of_Infinite_Wisdom.png
Tome of Infinite Wisdom
True_Excalibur.png
True Excalibur
True_Night%27s_Edge.png
True Night's Edge

B
Blood_Thorn.png
Blood Thorn*
Chik.png
Chik*
Chlorophyte_Claymore.png
Chlorophyte Claymore
Chlorophyte_Partisan.png
Chlorophyte Partisan
Cursed_Flames.png
Cursed Flames*
Cutlass.png
Cutlass
Daedalus_Stormbow.png
Daedalus Stormbow*
Flameburst_Cane.png
Flameburst Cane
Flamethrower.png
Flamethrower*
Ghastly_Glaive.png
Ghastly Glaive
Ice_Sickle.png
Ice Sickle
Magic_Dagger.png
Magic Dagger
Mushroom_Spear.png
Mushroom Spear
Rainbow_Rod.png
Rainbow Rod*
Sanguine_Staff.png
Sanguine Staff*
Shadowflame_Bow.png
Shadowflame Bow
Sky_Fracture.png
Sky Fracture*

B-
Beam_Sword.png
Beam Sword*
Bladetongue.png
Bladetongue
Chlorophyte_Saber.png
Chlorophyte Saber
Clinger_Staff.png
Clinger Staff
Crystal_Serpent.png
Crystal Serpent
Flower_of_Frost.png
Flower of Frost
Gradient.png
Gradient
Ice_Bow.png
Ice Bow*
Light_Disc.png
Light Disc
Lightning_Aura_Cane.png
Lightning Aura Cane
Magical_Harp.png
Magical Harp
Meteor_Staff.png
Meteor Staff (
)
Phantom_Phoenix.png
Phantom Phoenix
Shadowflame_Hex_Doll.png
Shadowflame Hex Doll
Sleepy_Octopod.png
Sleepy Octopod*
Spirit_Flame.png
Spirit Flame

C Rank
In this tier, weapons are rarely useful and should usually be overlooked. Some are overshadowed by better alternatives.

C+
Breaker_Blade.png
Breaker Blade*
Excalibur.png
Excalibur
Explosive_Trap_Cane.png
Explosive Trap Cane
Frostbrand.png
Frostbrand
Gungnir.png
Gungnir
KO_Cannon.png
KO Cannon
Laser_Rifle.png
Laser Rifle
Slap_Hand.png
Slap Hand

C
Bananarang.png
Bananarang
Brand_of_the_Inferno.png
Brand of the Inferno*
Crystal_Vile_Shard.png
Crystal Vile Shard
Format_C.png
Format:C
Hallowed_Repeater.png
Hallowed Repeater
Medusa_Head.png
Medusa Head*
Shotgun.png
Shotgun (
)
Titanium_Repeater.png
Titanium Repeater

C-
Adamantite_Glaive.png
Adamantite Glaive
Adamantite_Repeater.png
Adamantite Repeater
Adamantite_Sword.png
Adamantite Sword
Anchor.png
Anchor*
Frost_Staff.png
Frost Staff
Orichalcum_Halberd.png
Orichalcum Halberd
Orichalcum_Sword.png
Orichalcum Sword*
Orichalcum_Repeater.png
Orichalcum Repeater
Phasesaber.gif
Phasesaber
Titanium_Sword.png
Titanium Sword*
Titanium_Trident.png
Titanium Trident
Toxikarp.png
Toxikarp

D Rank
Reserved for the worst of weapons, such as the Unholy Trident - ineffective and hard to get.
Classy_Cane.png
Classy Cane
Cobalt_Naginata.png
Cobalt Naginata
Cobalt_Repeater.png
Cobalt Repeater
Cobalt_Sword.png
Cobalt Sword
Coin_Gun.png
Coin Gun (
)
Mythril_Halberd.png
Mythril Halberd
Mythril_Repeater.png
Mythril Repeater
Mythril_Sword.png
Mythril Sword*
Palladium_Pike.png
Palladium Pike
Palladium_Repeater.png
Palladium Repeater
Palladium_Sword.png
Palladium Sword*
Pearlwood_Sword.png
Pearlwood Sword
Unholy_Trident.png
Unholy Trident

Need ranking
Due to my inability to test every weapon in this new update, I'm asking for community help to rank these weapons.
Durendal.png
Durendal
Hallowed_Jousting_Lance.png
Hallowed Jousting Lance
Jousting_Lance.png
Jousting Lance
Orange_Zapinator.png
Orange Zapinator
Sergeant_United_Shield.png
Sergeant United Shield
Super_Star_Shooter.png
Super Star Shooter

26/9/16: Death Sickle down to A+, Fetid Baghnakhs down to B+, KO Cannon down to C+, Marrow up to B+, Sky Fracture down to C+, Spirit Flame down to B-, Phasesaber down to C-, Titanium Repeater up to C, Hallowed Repeater down to C, added Pearlwood Sword and yoyos. Added thoughts on some weapons.
30/9/16: Orichalcum and Adamantite Repeaters up to C-. Bladetongue and Crystal Serpent down to B-. Holy Water added (D).
6/10/16: Obsidian Swordfish added (B+).
19/10/16: Terra Blade up to A+.
28/10/16: Added Point of Contention marker to thread, and placed it on Anchor, Shotgun, Daedalus Stormbow, Fetid Baghnakhs, Terra Blade, Amarok, Yelets, Crystal Storm.
30/10/16: Crystal Storm to A+, Amarok to S. Sky Fracture marked for contention.
3/6/17: Thread revived. Crystal Storm to A, Sky Fracture to B, Fetid Baghnakhs to A-, Daedalus Stormbow to A. Life Drain, Poison Staff and Dao of Pow marked for contention.
23/11/18: Thread refurbished. Daedalus Stormbow and Coin Gun marked for contention. Old One's Army items added.
24/11/18: Nimbus Rod up to S. Meteor Staff and Breaker Blade marked for contention.
4/12/18: Breaker Blade down to C+.
6/13/20: Thread refurbishing for 1.4 begun. Several weapons moved around, asterisks added. Several new weapons added as well.
6/15/20: Added Red's Throw/Valkyrie Yoyo.

Last edited:
There are quite a few choices where I don't really agree and some, namely the KO-Cannon and the Anchor, where I really can't even imagine the reasoning behind the rank.
Speaking of which: You might want to give some reasoning for your choices as well, so people understand the advantages and disadvantages of the weapon and your thought process more easily.

Anchor: Easy to get maybe, but that doesn't help if the weapon is pretty much entirely useless with its measly 30 damage. How this is supposed to be B-Rank is beyond me. I'd go as far as giving this weapon its own F-Rank for completely useless items. Why? Remember this weapon comes from Wooden Crates opened in hardmode, but while you open those, you will likely get hardmode ores or even bars if you have fished up some Iron/Gold/Biome Crates while you were fishing for Wooden ones.
If you ask me, this weapon is bad enough for me to think that it was originally intended to be available pre-HM, but the devs accidentally made it HM-only. It's nothing more than an improved Harpoon, but I wouldn't even use it in late pre-HM. The only HM weapon that I can think of that is even less useful is the Pearlwood Sword.

KO-Cannon: A-? Seriously? Please explain how in the world is this weapon good at all? Pretty pathetic damage output, no multi-hit ability and a whopping 0.1% drop chance during a Blood Moon. Keep in mind that you want to farm this with pre-HM gear for it to be of any use at all. You're going to spend hours on end to even get it, because Blood Moons only happen with a ~1/10 chance and you can't kill enemies all to quickly with your pre-HM equipment. I don't like flails personally, but I'd rather get myself a Dao of Pow, which deals 18 more damage, multi-hits, has more knockback and takes less time to get. The KO-Cannon is a clear D-Rank in my books.

Death Sickle: I understand it's a good weapon, but you need to take into account that it's extremely rare for anyone to obtain before you get Solar Tablets in the Temple. Without the tablets, Solar Eclipses have a 1/25 chance of occuring on any day, meaning an average player spends 10 hours waiting for one to occur randomly. You also likely need several Eclipses to happen to even get a single one of them, so an average of 10 hours of waiting usually don't even cut it.
If you progressed post-Plantera, though, its usefulness is pretty much limited to its ability to attack through walls, whereas its damage is severely outshined by the Terra Blade.
A-Rank is okay, but it's not powerful enough to constitute an S-Rank if you ask me.

Fetid Baghnakhs: This weapon is in an extreme niche, since its miniscule range prevents it from really being all that useful in most scenarios. Using it against bosses isn't really much of an option, since you'd need to literally facetank the boss for that to work. It's not awful, but clearly not an A--Rank in my books. I'd say B, because it sports very high damage with very limited usability, which is not unsimilar to the Daedalus Stormbow.

Hallowed Repeater and Titanium Repeater are almost identical apart from the Hallowed one dealing 2 more damage, but you put the Hallowed in C+ while the Titanium is D. Hallowed requires you to kill a mechanical boss before you can get one, making it harder to get in comparison. I'd put both of them at C-Rank.

Shotgun: It's a decently useful allrounder for the ranger and probably the easiest one to obtain out of all the weapons listed here, since you just need 25 gold and an Arms Dealer. It's in a similar category as the Clockwork Assault Rifle, sporting less accuracy and DPS in return for quite decent knockback. Also keep in mind that the Shotgun can also get the Unreal modifier, while the CAR can only get Demonic at best because it has no knockback. I'd put it into B-Rank.

Breaker Blade: This weapon's usefulness is severely limited by the alternate options you very quickly have. You might as well stick to the Night's Edge or get yourself one of the HM-ore swords. Using it instead of the Night's Edge is more of a style choice than an upgrade of any sort.
I'd put this into C-Rank.

Phasesaber: This weapon is obtainable at about the same point you can get a Mithril/Orichalcum Sword, since you need the Mithril/Orichalcum Anvil for it. It is roughly as good as the Mithril Sword and worse than the Orichalcum Sword, so how can it be B-Rank while those two are C-/D-Rank?

Whether you change anything is up to you of course, but I think I gave decent reasons for my choices here.

Anchor: Easy to get maybe, but that doesn't help if the weapon is pretty much entirely useless with its measly 30 damage. How this is supposed to be B-Rank is beyond me. I'd go as far as giving this weapon its own F-Rank for completely useless items. Why? Remember this weapon comes from Wooden Crates opened in hardmode, but while you open those, you will likely get hardmode ores or even bars if you have fished up some Iron/Gold/Biome Crates while you were fishing for Wooden ones.
If you ask me, this weapon is bad enough for me to think that it was originally intended to be available pre-HM, but the devs accidentally made it HM-only. It's nothing more than an improved Harpoon, but I wouldn't even use it in late pre-HM. The only HM weapon that I can think of that is even less useful is the Pearlwood Sword.
I placed it that high because I've had good experiences with the weapon in the past - it was quite decent in the early days of Hardmode for me. Unfortunately, looking back, I forgot to calculate ease of obtaining - that applies to this weapon as well as multiple others. I'll gladly bump it down, since my personal experiences might not mean much in the grand scheme of things.

KO-Cannon: A-? Seriously? Please explain how in the world is this weapon good at all? Pretty pathetic damage output, no multi-hit ability and a whopping 0.1% drop chance during a Blood Moon. Keep in mind that you want to farm this with pre-HM gear for it to be of any use at all. You're going to spend hours on end to even get it, because Blood Moons only happen with a ~1/10 chance and you can't kill enemies all to quickly with your pre-HM equipment. I don't like flails personally, but I'd rather get myself a Dao of Pow, which deals 18 more damage, multi-hits, has more knockback and takes less time to get. The KO-Cannon is a clear D-Rank in my books.
Like the Anchor, I've always had great luck with the KO Cannon, especially given its progression in the game. I forgot to calculate the rarity of it into concern. I'll bump it down to "use it if you get it," or a B-/C+ or so.

Death Sickle: I understand it's a good weapon, but you need to take into account that it's extremely rare for anyone to obtain before you get Solar Tablets in the Temple. Without the tablets, Solar Eclipses have a 1/25 chance of occuring on any day, meaning an average player spends 10 hours waiting for one to occur randomly. You also likely need several Eclipses to happen to even get a single one of them, so an average of 10 hours of waiting usually don't even cut it.
If you progressed post-Plantera, though, its usefulness is pretty much limited to its ability to attack through walls, whereas its damage is severely outshined by the Terra Blade.
A-Rank is okay, but it's not powerful enough to constitute an S-Rank if you ask me.
Forgot completely about the rarity of the weapon. Though it isn't as bad as it maybe once was, it's still pretty rare, and that's worth it being bumped down into the A-ranks.

Fetid Baghnakhs: This weapon is in an extreme niche, since its miniscule range prevents it from really being all that useful in most scenarios. Using it against bosses isn't really much of an option, since you'd need to literally facetank the boss for that to work. It's not awful, but clearly not an A--Rank in my books. I'd say B, because it sports very high damage with very limited usability, which is not unsimilar to the Daedalus Stormbow.
The Fetid Baghnakhs has never been a boss-killing weapon, I'll agree that in a heartbeat. It's pretty much a cure-all for many other enemies though - virtually anything that's dodgeable and vulnerable to knockback. Even some minibosses can go down easily to tanks wielding it. I may move it down a little.

Hallowed Repeater and Titanium Repeater are almost identical apart from the Hallowed one dealing 2 more damage, but you put the Hallowed in C+ while the Titanium is D. Hallowed requires you to kill a mechanical boss before you can get one, making it harder to get in comparison. I'd put both of them at C-Rank.

Wasn't paying attention to the ore weapons when I wrote this, so I'll equal that out appropriately.

Shotgun: It's a decently useful allrounder for the ranger and probably the easiest one to obtain out of all the weapons listed here, since you just need 25 gold and an Arms Dealer. It's in a similar category as the Clockwork Assault Rifle, sporting less accuracy and DPS in return for quite decent knockback. Also keep in mind that the Shotgun can also get the Unreal modifier, while the CAR can only get Demonic at best because it has no knockback. I'd put it into B-Rank.

Oh, I love the shotgun so much. It's one of my all-time favorite weapons. The only reason it's as low as it is is because of the Onyx Blaster, which is supremely good and really requires quite little progression before it's available. Spend a bit of time in a corrupt desert (not super easy, but doable) and you've got it. It's worlds better than the shotgun, especially paired with frost or similar armor.

Breaker Blade: This weapon's usefulness is severely limited by the alternate options you very quickly have. You might as well stick to the Night's Edge or get yourself one of the HM-ore swords. Using it instead of the Night's Edge is more of a style choice than an upgrade of any sort.
I'd put this into C-Rank.
The only reason the Breaker Blade ranks higher than it probably should is because of how rare the Night's Edge, its main competitor, is. I will move it down a bit on the grounds that it really does compete with the ore swords, though.

Phasesaber: This weapon is obtainable at about the same point you can get a Mithril/Orichalcum Sword, since you need the Mithril/Orichalcum Anvil for it. It is roughly as good as the Mithril Sword and worse than the Orichalcum Sword, so how can it be B-Rank while those two are C-/D-Rank?
I guess I forgot the autoturn that was added to the ore swords in 1.3. I had remembered the Phasesaber as an excellent weapon to ward off enemies easily, plus killing the Destroyer with it. I'll bump it down (or the others up - possibly both).

Whether you change anything is up to you of course, but I think I gave decent reasons for my choices here.

I guess I forgot the autoturn that was added to the ore swords in 1.3. I had remembered the Phasesaber as an excellent weapon to ward off enemies easily, plus killing the Destroyer with it. I'll bump it down (or the others up - possibly both).

I think it used to be far more useful for a variety of reasons.
Far back, before 1.2.4 , you couldn't use crates to skip straight to Adamantite/Titanium.
In the past, you didn't require the Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil before 1.3, so all you needed was a Phaseblade and 50 Crystal Shards, which allowed you to get this in a matter of minutes after starting Hardmode.
The ore swords have been buffed to autoswing and deal more damage since 1.3 as well.

Let's just say the Phasesaber has been neglected. ;)

I think it used to be far more useful for a variety of reasons.
Far back, before 1.2.4 , you couldn't use crates to skip straight to Adamantite/Titanium.
In the past, you didn't require the Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil before 1.3, so all you needed was a Phaseblade and 50 Crystal Shards, which allowed you to get this in a matter of minutes after starting Hardmode.
The ore swords have been buffed to autoswing and deal more damage since 1.3 as well.

Let's just say the Phasesaber has been neglected. ;)
Yeah it was an excellent weapon back in 1.1 but the addition of the cutlass in 1.2 and then later in 1.3 the requirement for a mythril anvil effectively killed any viability not to mention the improved abilities of hardmode ore swords and frost brand which now far eclipse what the phasesaber used to be able to do.
#Buff Phasesaber

Now some additional comments regarding several
Fetid Baghnakhs is actually quite powerful against Plantera as when combined with turtle armor and a light prefix and the right buffs it allows the player to guarantee victory against Plantera even on expert mode due to being able to win a DPS war against Plantera while standing still (preferably in a pool of honey). (The only buffs I used on the fight in expert mode when doing this are endurance, iron skin, well fed and regeneration which is relatively minimal)

A similar argument (although to a far higher extreme) can be made regarding the Storm bow against the mechanical bosses with holy arrows. Unless you do something stupid that combo should lead the player to victory with ease even on expert. (The weapon is generally agreed to be outrageously broken check the thread in the general forum)

Personally the biggest threats I have taken down with it are all three mechanical bosses Duke Fishron and the Martian Saucer.
Edit hellfire arrows are worth using too for outright spreading damage everywhere. It certainly is not a B rank weapon on the surface or in large caves

Last edited:
A similar argument (although to a far higher extreme can be made regarding the Storm bow against the mechanical bosses with holy arrows. Unlss you do somthing stupid that combo should lead the player to victory with ease even on expert. (The weapon is generally agreed to be outrageously broken check the thread in the general forum)

Personally the biggest treats I have taken down with it are all three mechanical bosses Duke Fishron and the Martian Saucer.
Edit hellfire arrows are worth using too for outright spreading damage everywhere. It certainly is not a B rank weapon on the surface or in large caves
Holy arrows for life, yo. I used the Stormbow with 'em to eat the Destroyer alive, plus the Shotbow for Plantera on the grounds that some arrows would be wasted in the cavern ceiling. I only ranked the Stormbow that low because it's situational in regards to underground combat, which can make up a lot of early Hardmode as one searches for mimic loot, souls, evil crafting materials, etc.

Holy arrows for life, yo. I used the Stormbow with 'em to eat the Destroyer alive, plus the Shotbow for Plantera on the grounds that some arrows would be wasted in the cavern ceiling. I only ranked the Stormbow that low because it's situational in regards to underground combat, which can make up a lot of early Hardmode as one searches for mimic loot, souls, evil crafting materials, etc.
yeah most of the weapons that rain down projectiles of doom suffer outside of sufficiently large caverns,the surface and hell. The only exception is the lunar tier ones that have projectiles that can pass through walls up to where your cursor is allowing their use anywhere

Edit I also am curious why hardmode ore weapons for adamantite(repeater), mythril, or potentially palladium and colbalt) are ranked as D when orichalcum gets a pass to c- rank. Post 1.3 buff they can be a somewhat reliable option while searching for the next tier of ore or crafting some of your leftovers to replace a outclassed weapon just as orichalcum weapons do. They certainly aren't as bad as some other weapons *cough* unholy trident *cough*

Last edited:
Edit I also am curious why hardmode ore weapons for adamantite(repeater), mythril, or potentially palladium and colbalt) are ranked as D when orichalcum gets a pass to c- rank. Post 1.3 buff they can be a somewhat reliable option while searching for the next tier of ore or crafting some of your leftovers to replace a outclassed weapon just as orichalcum weapons do. They certainly aren't as bad as some other weapons *cough* unholy trident *cough*
In terms of bows, I'd say that there are much easier options that are better than the earlier repeaters, while the Orichalcum through Titanium ones are strong enough for me to consider using if I'm desperate. Options like the Ice Bow, Marrow, Shadowflame Bow, even Molten Fury tend to outclass them. The Adamantite repeater, I made a mistake with; I'll bump it a little further up, since it should be on par with Orichalcum.

As for the tools, they're simply not super effective compared to some other options. I'm willing to change their rating though, given a little more encouragement.

I think you should raise the usefulness of the Daedalus Stormbow. Many people don't even use it because it makes game progression too easy.

I think you should raise the usefulness of the Daedalus Stormbow. Many people don't even use it because it makes game progression too easy.
It's also next-to-unusable underground and is fairly inaccurate despite its otherwise great qualities. Also - I'll need some evidence backing this, proof that people do in fact avoid it.

The fishing weapons are hardly "Obscenely Hard" to get.

I pretty consistently get them in 1-2 days of solid fishing while trying to get crates (though you will need the Golden Fishing Rod, and the Tackle Bag along with the Angler's Outfit, but if you're a fisher, you would have gotten these Pre-hardmode).

If you have that gear and a few Fishing Potions, you should get it rather quickly, a day or two of in-game time. I have done this now in more than a dozen playthroughs, and half of them I got it in the first day, and even a couple times I got two or more in the same day. Hardly "Obscenely" hard to get.

Crystal Storm, S rank? Uh..... no. It doesn't do anywhere near the kind of damage to put it there, not even if you're in full mage gear. But then, the lack of decent mage weapons is a problem at early hardmode, I find some of the best to be the Flamelash until you can get some of the staves to drop, or something. Or the Crystal Serpent. That works too.

Amarok only being A+ is kinda... weird, because every melee guy I know, goes marching off to the Snow Biome to farm one the first available second of Hardmode because of how ludicrously powerful it is compared to anything else they had going at the time. But meh I suppose maybe you're a magic guy usually? Also found it kinda odd that you ranked Yelets even lower, despite the fact you can go out and get one as soon as you kill one mech (probably Destroyer, since there are so many ways to kill it in 60-90 seconds without breaking a sweat). If you get a Yelets after only 1 mech down, it will out-class everything else wholesale until you kill the other two mechs.

Terra Blade, if gotten before Plantera is definitely an S-Rank weapon, even if it does take some setup and work to get (you don't need luck; you just need to kill Lihzarhds at the entrance to the Temple which can be done if you know what you're doing). Getting a TB before Plantera makes you basically invincible where nothing can touch you whatsoever, lol. But I suppose some people are put off by having to farm Tablets and trying to kill Mothrons pre-Plantera (it ain't hard if you know the pattern they use). In fact, the TB outclasses everything until Pillars (don't even get me started about that stupid Influx Waver... no, the IW does NOT beat the TB, this has been proven hands-down in multiple threads).

Fishing weapons, you're right; I used a poor choice of words. They're more "a bit tiresome" to get, which is why their ranks are lower than they could be; a lot of people just wouldn't find that amount of fishing worthwhile for the weapons, even if they are good. Subject to change.

Crystal Storm, I put there because of its great fire rate and general ability to handle most types of combat. Works on the mechs (although there are better), works on the early invasions, works on everyday enemies. It's subject to change though.

I'll be one of the first to say that the Amarok is stupidly overpowered, to the point where I don't even use it out of honor. The only space where it fails is in rapid combat, like against Prime or the Twins, and in multiple-enemy combat. It also gets points docked for potentially taking up accessory slots if you want it to reach full potential.

Yelets is only that low because of how dangerous the Jungle is, even with a mech under your belt - especially considering that the Destroyer is nothing compared to those hornets.

Terra Blade is being held back by the difficulty of the Solar Eclipse in general, but it may deserve to be moved up just for sheer power.

Hey folks, made a small change to the way the thread is organized.

652Graystripe said:
Other than that, I've decided to add an icon to the thread for "point of contention" that marks weapons that are up for change.
It looks like this.

To get it applied to an item - well, that's easy. You just have to say "I think X should be in Y tier", and it'll get applied, simple as that. If more people (e.g. one other person or more) back you up - I count as "more people" as well - I'll move it over.
Hope this makes the thread easier to navigate.

I think Amarok should be promoted to S tier. There's not much competition, it can be found right in the beginning of HM and don't require that much grinding, and it's a powerhouse all the way until you get Yelets.

Personally I think the crystal storm isn't that great, but I haven't used it much either.

The Sky Fracture is great, not as good as it's evil counterpart but it's still great. I think it fits in the B tier.

I think Amarok should be promoted to S tier. There's not much competition, it can be found right in the beginning of HM and don't require that much grinding, and it's a powerhouse all the way until you get Yelets.

Personally I think the crystal storm isn't that great, but I haven't used it much either.

The Sky Fracture is great, not as good as it's evil counterpart but it's still great. I think it fits in the B tier.
Didn't get any suggested tiers in the Crystal Storm's two posts, so I just moved it down to A+. Amarok is up to S now. Sky Fracture is marked and I might just second moving it up a little.

While I agree with a vast majority of these rankings , here's my complains:
1.Sky Fracture is nearly as good as Crystal Storm for small-medium crowds (having slightly less knockback) and probably better for bosses (works wonders for Twins, considering how easy it is to get). Sure, it may eat your mana faster , but any ore mage armor should suffice. It's not as much of a crowd killer as it is single-target, but it's definitely a very versatile weapon. Imo it deserves at least a nice little B.
2.Poison staff , in my humble opinion, is actually a mediocre weapon. It's shot's spread makes it nigh unusable underground , and it's mana cost isn't worth it. I'd suggest a drop to B+ - B.
3.Crystal Storm is nice and all for mobs but... it lacks an actual range, which is a big problem for bosses. I'd move it down to A. It's in no way imaginable better than Golden Shower as far as I'm concerned.
4.Daedalus Stormbow is deserving of A+ at least...
With that being said (I'm a heavy magic user if you can't tell :p) I can definitely see that you put a little too much emphasis on mana cost for mage weapons, but aside from that, this is very good and I'm sure people will find it useful!

Fetid, Daedalus bowthingyiforgotnamesorry, life drain are actually quite good weapons, especially fetid. I used fetid everytime before I obtained Terra blade, later on solar eruption

I'm still wary of moving the Daedalus up too far given its low accuracy and incompatibility with ceilings, but I'm comfortable knocking it a rank upwards. Same goes for the Baghnakhs - they're obscene in close range, and god do I love that, but it's understandably difficult to maintain that perfect balance of damage taken and damage given.

Sky Fracture looks like a pretty clear candidate for an upshift for me, especially as I haven't played with it very much.

Crystal Storm gets downshifted to A; I admit that its range and projectile speed do mess with boss performance, particularly the Twins.

Other than that, Life Drain and Poison Staff can be marked for contention. Will also mark the Dao because I have no idea why I put it there in the first place.

EDIT: If you have any information on the 1.3.4 weapons, which I haven't played with at all and have only read about, please tell me! I need to formulate a suitable ranking for them.

Last edited:
EDIT: If you have any information on the 1.3.4 weapons, which I haven't played with at all and have only read about, please tell me! I need to formulate a suitable ranking for them.

You mean the DD2-related weapons?

I've only used the first-tier line of weapons.... outside of the Old One's Army event, they are all rather weak turrets. I mean, I suppose, you have no turrets at all at that point in the game, and there's no harm in plunking one down when you fight a boss, but c'mon, it's easymode... do you need a turret? lol.

But I suppose if you do... the Ballista is useless outside of Old One's Army (or perhaps Goblins. I suppose it could be "OK" during Goblin Armies)... it's damage is too low, and it's too slow to fire, and most of the time it misses enemies that move around. The fireball turret I suppose could be OK in some situation where you're stationary like perhaps something like Skeletron, but again, it's Skeletron. Just get a Flamarang or something and be done with it.

I haven't tried the lightning orb turret yet, though.

Now, INSIDE the Old One's Army Event, things change a lot. The Ballista Turret is king (Rank A+ IMO); plunk as many of those down as you can get your grubby paws on. Once you get to Wave 3+ or so (use Molten Fury+Jester Arrows before that point), all you need is to just stand next to the crystal and watch everything die (except the Wyverns; kill those asap so that your Ballista don't waste time trying to hit them) until the boss pops and then go over and kill it with the weapon of your choice.

You mean the DD2-related weapons?

I've only used the first-tier line of weapons.... outside of the Old One's Army event, they are all rather weak turrets. I mean, I suppose, you have no turrets at all at that point in the game, and there's no harm in plunking one down when you fight a boss, but c'mon, it's easymode... do you need a turret? lol.

But I suppose if you do... the Ballista is useless outside of Old One's Army (or perhaps Goblins. I suppose it could be "OK" during Goblin Armies)... it's damage is too low, and it's too slow to fire, and most of the time it misses enemies that move around. The fireball turret I suppose could be OK in some situation where you're stationary like perhaps something like Skeletron, but again, it's Skeletron. Just get a Flamarang or something and be done with it.

I haven't tried the lightning orb turret yet, though.

Now, INSIDE the Old One's Army Event, things change a lot. The Ballista Turret is king (Rank A+ IMO); plunk as many of those down as you can get your grubby paws on. Once you get to Wave 3+ or so (use Molten Fury+Jester Arrows before that point), all you need is to just stand next to the crystal and watch everything die (except the Wyverns; kill those asap so that your Ballista don't waste time trying to hit them) until the boss pops and then go over and kill it with the weapon of your choice.
More worried about the Ogre drops than anything, since they fit here best. However, you're right, it might be valuable to tier the turrets as well (at least the ones available to us in the early-to-mid-hardmode area). Any recommendations?

Back
Top Bottom