PC Time to Complain: Spectre Hood is a Crippled Item

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hood isn't bad if you are an expert on how to use it. But I hope better magic gear comes out for 1.3 that isn't based off silly gimmicks.

Fun fact, Spectre Hood is more effective in singleplayer, as it will keep you alive forever, while on multiplayer, throwing heals to other allies will eventually get you dead due to the life-steal cap.

It's meant to be a survivability item, not a "destroy everything with ultimate magical powaaar" item. The -40% is easily negated by the other pieces of the set and the damage-increasing accessories available in the late game.

The -40% is easily negated by the other pieces of the set and the damage-increasing accessories available in the late game.
You know, this is what people always say about the hood, trying to put it in a better light. For me, it would be "the damage boosts from accessories and other pieces are easily negated by the hood". 40% is quite a chunk out of your damage. It sounds more truthful. :dryadtongue:

Still, the lifesteal is bleeding fantastic.

While I don't think minus damage is a good way to balance an armor...

jwlHW5C.gif

I disagree on that it's crippled. It's god mode armor.

no, beetle armor is god mode armor. not only does it give insane defense, you also get tons of extra damage and speed(scalemail), which equals invincibilty combined with any decent accessory and flairon/vampire knives/terra lasermachinegun. beetle armor is broken as it's better than turtle armor, which was designed for the same tier, and combined with lifesteal high defense+damage is godmode.

spectre armor, however, was different. it had roughly as much defense as mythril armor, so if you didn't constantly deal damage you could still die. i like the mask too, but spectre armor(hood) did not need to be nerfed, terrible defense deserves lifesteal.

no, beetle armor is god mode armor. not only does it give insane defense, you also get tons of extra damage and speed(scalemail), which equals invincibilty combined with any decent accessory and flairon/vampire knives/terra lasermachinegun. beetle armor is broken as it's better than turtle armor, which was designed for the same tier, and combined with lifesteal high defense+damage is godmode.

spectre armor, however, was different. it had roughly as much defense as mythril armor, so if you didn't constantly deal damage you could still die. i like the mask too, but spectre armor(hood) did not need to be nerfed, terrible defense deserves lifesteal.
I don't see how that counters anything what I had said..

I said Spectre Hood is a god mode armor, not that it was the only god mode armor. Its life steal is powerful enough to grant a player immortality from everything but a Dungeon Guardian (and PvP) attack.

15 less damage doesn't help you too much from attacks hitting over 100. Spectre, in a way, has more defense than all other armors.

If you are attacked once every second (tanking):

Beetle saves you 30 HP every second with its defense. Health saved per second: 30

Spectre heals you 50 HP a second, and saves 15 damage through defense. Health saved per second: 65

You do, however, deal more damage with Beetle due to no damage penalty, meaning enemies die faster and heart pickups happen sooner. This is for Moon events, though. Bosses like Duke Fishron won't be supplying you with hearts until the very end, so Spectre starts shining way more here. Magic can also be casted from a distance, saving on damage taken, whereas Melee you have to be closer to deal maximum damage, risking hits, so Spectra saves more health this way as well. I believe Spectre is more godly than Beetle.

TL;DR: Spectre heals back 50 HP a second, which is like an additional 100 defense. Better even, as you don't need to be hit for it to have an effect. Defense requires being hit to benefit from, while with Spectre you can be sitting somewhere safely healing as well.

Last edited:
I don't see how that counters anything what I had said..

I said Spectre Hood is a god mode armor, not that it was the only god mode armor. Its life steal is powerful enough to grant a player immortality from everything but a Dungeon Guardian (and PvP) attack.

15 less damage doesn't help you too much from attacks hitting over 100. Spectre, in a way, has more defense than all other armors.

If you are attacked once every second (tanking):

Beetle saves you 30 HP every second with its defense. Health saved per second: 30

Spectre heals you 50 HP a second, and saves 15 damage through defense. Health saved per second: 65

You do, however, deal more damage with Beetle due to no damage penalty, meaning enemies die faster and heart pickups happen sooner. This is for Moon events, though. Bosses like Duke Fishron won't be supplying you with hearts until the very end, so Spectre starts shining way more here. Magic can also be casted from a distance, saving on damage taken, whereas Melee you have to be closer to deal maximum damage, risking hits, so Spectra saves more health this way as well. I believe Spectre is more godly than Beetle.

TL;DR: Spectre heals back 50 HP a second, which is like an additional 100 defense. Better even, as you don't need to be hit for it to have an effect. Defense requires being hit to benefit from, while with Spectre you can be sitting somewhere safely healing as well.

i meant that spectre has horrible defense, so unless you're constantly dealing damage and healing, you can easily die. you heal fast, yes, but enemies also take away a huge chunk of your life per hit, while with beetle armor, it has insane defense and you can use vampire knives, so it's way stronger lifesteal(or just survival)-wise as you do not need to constantly deal damage to get the maximum effect.

Vampire Knives deal a ton less dps than spectre hood as you can't even get thro a full pumpkin moon with em using hallowed melee (which has better dps than beetle). Nimbus Rod gives you infinite healing.

i meant that spectre has horrible defense, so unless you're constantly dealing damage and healing, you can easily die. you heal fast, yes, but enemies also take away a huge chunk of your life per hit, while with beetle armor, it has insane defense and you can use vampire knives, so it's way stronger lifesteal(or just survival)-wise as you do not need to constantly deal damage to get the maximum effect.

Horrible defense doesn't matter if you're constantly healing. Defense only matters on really hard-hitting projectiles which, keep in mind, is still a pretty rare occurrence even in moon events.

Another thing, it's typically common to always kill the high-hitting, high-threat enemies. This means that their priorities are almost always refreshed [Terraria takes priority of older mobs who have already spawned over new mobs]. Priorities also take into consideration which projectile hits and which passes through an invisibility frame when two projectiles hit a player simultaneously.

Statistically, that means that high-hitting enemies are a lot less likely to hit when facetanking during the moon events. With a lot less high-hitting enemies able to hit you, the chances of bypassing the 50 hp/sec heal of lifesteal weapons is very unlikely.

That also mean that the importance of survivability weapons past the 50 hp/sec are even more so reduced to the point where it's nearly redundant.

Basically, Beetle's high defense makes little difference if you're constantly healing back to full hp almost every second.

Some people prefer to stay alive longer than cutting enemies lives short. Sure it decreases damage, but that's because of the lifesteal when using magic weapons, and that's pretty OP compared to Vampire Knives

My two cents: This item was op in its oringinal state and I think its better now. I think the thing here is for solo play especially on the moon events its sub-optimal since you want to push as much damage as possible. But with a group of players it becomes more viable as you'll have others to make up for the damage and you'll likely not notice the damage loss during the events.

Although many may disagree with me on this, personally I feel that killing enemies is far more satisfying when it takes slightly longer. And for that reason, I actually like being able to choose to do less damage, and the healing is a great help as well. However, this is another unpopular opinion, my bigger complaint with da Hood is that it doesn't hava mana-use reducing effect like the Mask has, plus it doesn't give you extra mana. So I always find I use up Mana too fast when I use the hood. So there's my two copper coins.

beetle armor is broken as it's better than turtle armor, which was designed for the same tier,

No, it's not.

You don't even have to kill Plantera for Turtle armour. You just have to have access to chlorophyte, so kill all three mechanical. Beetle armour requires you to have killed Plantera and Golem to access, so it is technically two tiers above.

I don't see how this topic is still going on, to be honest. People were complaining left and right that Spectre Hood was the most OP :red: in existence before the final change of -40% damage. And now some say it's underpowered?

I think some people are blindly looking at the -40% damage and thinking that it decreases the final damage by that amount. Pretty sure that it just negates to the massive boosts you can get from accessories. Easily can achieve over 200% (not bonus) damage+crit, so it technically only a final damage reduction of 20%. That seems like a perfectly fair trade for lifesteal on any magic weapon I fancy using. And you just can't compare weapons like the Razorpine to the Vampire Knives in DPS. Not to mention you can still use higher tier magic weapons with the upcoming 1.3 update that will be in an even higher tier than Vampire Knives.

Aside from the fact that it's still a very powerful item and the healing is massive when used with a end game magic weapon and the damage decrease is a completely fine balance, yeah, i can see why it could be annoying.

Although only slightly.

this debate is starting to become the destroyer debate. where everyone is complaining about how op/underpowered something is until it gets nerfed/buffed.

Well half a page of people complaining about it being "underpowered" are definitely not beating the two threads and 5 pages each of people complaining about it being overpowered back before the nerfs.

I always keep both helmets in my inventory and dynamicly switch between them, so it isn't as much of a problem for me.

But yea... 40% is really heavy. I think 25% would be a lot more reasonable, but then again, I don't play my mage very often.

I dislike the weakness as well. Why can't it be a bit less weak?

Vampire Knives is IMO the best weapon in the entire game because of its insane damage and heal. The only reason I beat Fishron first try was because of Vampire Knives. Vampire Knives are a must have for any summoner. Vampire Knives are useful for even mages and ranged. If you want to use the other armor set all you need to do is use Vampire Knives whenever you get low on health. Spectre Armor is a ARMOR SET and the heal effect forces you to lose damage.

It's kind of hard to remove the -40% damage. Let's say we have all menacing. Now it's -20% damage. Wings are nessecary. Most people use frostspark boots. Mana flower is nessecary. Charm of Myths is also a must-have. If you're using all 4 of these you have 1 slots left. Now we have to think about the choices that people might do. Ankh Shield which will remove all the pesky things in the game and give defense. An emblem which will increase damage.

There are many more things people could do, but if they have wings, boots, mana flower and a charm of myths then even with the emblem it's -5%. If you make it -5% instead of -20% you're losing an entire precious accessory slot which could remove ALMOST ALL debuffs and remove knockback!

Although I guess it doesn't really matter anyways since 1.3 is probably going to introduce a better armor.

Most people use frostspark boots. Mana flower is nessecary. Charm of Myths is also a must-have.
While I agree with the wings bit, the rest of what you said is preferences.... Including the wings, to be honest, but not many people are insane enough to go wingless after getting a pair.

Frostspark Boots only provide real horizontal speed on the ground, and in HM, full 360 mobility is better. And let's face it, the thrust from the boots isn't much compared to any pair of wings you would care to name. I actually prefer bundle of balloons because the quick vertical thrusts are more useful in dodging attacks.

Mana Flower isn't an absolute necessity, per se. It's helpful for those who can't be bothered with hitting the hotkey for mana pot, and those actually willing to stock up on mana pots. For maximum damage efficiency though, a celestial cuffs would be far better for magic weapons.

And charm of myths is a must-have? So my 400+ hours of ditching it aside was actually played in the wrong way?

What you suggested is a very defensive playstyle of mages(or any damage type, for that matter). A fully offensive mage wouldn't have bothered with the boots or CoM. I can use one pair of wings, three emblems(and its tinkers), and maybe a celestial cuff/mana flower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom