tModLoader Ulterraria: Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thread has been changed to tMod but that does NOT mean that we have it ready yet. THis is just for future convenience.

On the other note, I'm taking down all the standalone downloads now. If you really want to play the standalone version, toss me a pm. Were sorry this is taking so long.

Ulterraria Reborn Logo 1.2.png

I was originally gonna reveal this at the release of the port, but I accidentally removed the old one.
So here you guys go! The banner will be released when it's more accurate to 1.1.

Also, thanks to @LameCube for this.. it's incredible.

Ahoy, longish post about Fan of Cards ahead.

I just began playing Ulterraria 1.1 last night and I have some feedback specifically regarding the Fan of Cards weapon series. As a disclaimer, I'm playing in normal mode and I suspect this weapon was originally balanced with expert mode in mind.

I'm thinking that the pre-hardmode Fan of Cards is overtuned for how easy it is to get and how it behaves. To start, the weapon is capable of shotgunning, which coupled with its quick speed and fast fire rate makes it utterly devastating in pre-hardmode to the point that I felt almost every other weapon became obsolete outside of certain circumstances. Their "very weak" knockback still adds up to a considerable push across five separate projectiles making it difficult for any pre-hardmode enemy to touch you. None of this would be much of an issue if the pre-hardmode Fan of Cards were difficult to get, but one can easily make a beeline to the ocean, farm one black ink and immediately have one of the strongest pre-hardmode weapons in Ulterraria. I would submit that this is closer to a Skeletron-level weapon and perhaps could be something that the Clothier either sells directly or sells a reagent for (look at that slick-dressed man and tell me he wouldn't be the type to be a closet magician or poker player :p). Perhaps a Card Dealer's Manual or Card Printer crafting table?

This weapon continues the trend of far-reaching weapons being labeled "melee" weapons that really began in earnest with 1.3. I see this is a problem mostly because of how easy it is to buff melee damage compared to other damage types, especially near endgame. You end up with a combination of the highest overall defense numbers coupled with extremely high-damage "melee" weapons that really behave more like ranged weapons. Chief offenders in my mind include Daybreak (which behaves exactly like every other thrown weapon in the game but is instead considered melee), Solar Eruption, all yo-yos, and to a lesser extent any melee weapon that fires a projectile such as Beam Sword. The takeaway for Ulterraria is that I think Fan of Cards could be considered ranged or thrown despite all the precedents set by vanilla Terraria.

Another disclaimer: I have yet to hit hardmode, so I don't know if these weapons have additional effects (i.e.: debuffs) or projectile speeds. Regarding the hardmode versions and looking strictly at their on-paper stats, I noticed that each of the three variants do different amounts of damage but only require one different material (crystal shard, cursed flame, or ichor) to craft. At least as far as ichor vs. cursed flame is concerned neither is really any harder to get than the other. Crystals are more easy to get right away yet this version does more damage than the ichor one. The cursed flame version does more damage and has slightly better knockback which should make it strictly better than either of the others. Am I judging these weapons too quickly since I haven't actually had a chance to mess with them yet?

My two cents. Thanks for all your hard work :D

Mega Snip
The fan of cards was originally intended to be far more difficult to obtain, however the placeholder recipe managed to wriggle it's way into the final release of 1.1, and that reared its ugly head very quickly. If you look towards the earlier posts in this thread, you will be able to see a lot of people saying the same thing that you've just said. (Albeit in a less articulated manner.) In 1.2 it was to receive some nerfs, (More difficult to craft, less damage, 1 less projectile, etc. etc.) However that update never came to be as a result of that bug. If I recall correctly, The Full House deals more damage and has an extra projectile, Blackjack deals cursed flames, and the other deals ichor. The crimson variation is 100% the best one in my experience, but that's simply due to the power of ichor. Unfourtunatly you can't use it in the standalone version, because we done goofed.

Their melee typing is a result of very strict definitions we've given to weapon damage types internally. (Throwing must be consumable, Ranged must use ammo, etc.) Although we've given that a bit of wiggle room, and I will likely change the fan of cards and it's upgrades to deal throwing type damage, no promises though.

Thanks for the hefty post, I do enjoy a good read every now and then. :)

Also, unrelated to this reply; the release of 1.3.1 has not stopped or slowed down development of Ulterraria for tMod.

Thanks for the reply and glad I could give you a post to really chew on. :D

I have two questions: First, the wiki suggests that Strength Essence et. al. are used as a "primary crafting material in many upgraded items". The Guide has nothing to say about these items but are they perhaps only useful in expert mode as suggested by their font color? Second, how is the Infamous Mask crafted?

Edit: I was just getting unlucky on Voodoo Demon spawns

snippity snap
The strength essences are used to upgrade a few items but otherwise serve no purpose, you may not be playing the update in which we added uses for it, but the essences were a last minute addition as a reward for the prefix system. They'll get uses in the future, don't worry. And no they're not expert only. The font color is actually unique to essences, as it cycles through red, yellow, and blue, rather than a rainbow of colors.

Clay and Demonite/Crimtane.

Ulterraria 1.2 will be delayed for a little while because porting over to tMod and giving the glorius man himself (boffin) some rest. Were sorry for the inconvenience.

View attachment 111587
Hello! Welcome to Ulterraria: Reborn, a mod that adds more logic to the game, and 'ultifies' it. Enjoy!
The desc will be expanded as this mod is updated, don't worry.
We have also been told to make a content area. However, the wiki will do that once fully completed, and well, you guys shouldn't be lazy and actually explore!

New Version is WIP.
Current Version - - -
Running with Terraria - - -

Do not redistribute this download without permission and linking back to the original thread.

None yet.

All Items Map
By VnLegend
This map has not been tested yet, so if anything is missing let us know!
Currently works with mod ver. v1.1.1.8

WIP.

None for now.

None yet.
Coming soon...

v1.0.0

Chill out, this is still WIP.

View attachment 110130 @Venomalix Author
@nealpd Co Author
@TheGamingBoffin Coder
@S4l4kin Coder
@nealpd Lead Coder / Spriter
@M_Blox the Elite Spriter
View attachment 110129 @Frous Lead Spriter
@Eli10293 Spriter
@DeliciousSaturn Lead Composer
@Alucard_I Ideamaster
View attachment 110137 @LameCube Artist

Baconfry for the Biome Weapon Projects.
Battle Bee for the Celestial Tier weapons.
Dubby for her code for the Tesla Staff.
bluemagic123 for general help.

No.

Check out our Social Forum for bug reporting, suggestions and more here!
Visit our official channel for update videos, help, and more here!

We do not recommend using your world saves. It will likely corrupt them, ruin them, or flat out not work. Therefore you will have to create new worlds for the mod.

Also the wiki is not fully updated, so for now you'll have to ask where what is obtained and how this and that works until that is finished up. Sorry for the inconvenience.

We hope you enjoy Ulterraria!
..in the future..​
how to download??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom