Biomes & Nature Underground Swamp Biome

Pinelord

Official Terrarian
Okay, so this is going to be my biggest suggestion yet. I've done everything I could to make it great. And no, this isn't a jungle alternate.

kdcROYP.png

Introduction
Okay, so my idea is an underground swamp biome. The biome is bigger than a mushroom biome, has plenty of water, and onions! You can only find it underground. There has to be at least 50-100 blocks of water and 100 blocks of swamp grass for it to be considered a swamp biome. You can't acquire seeds for it, but the regrowth staff will plant the grass on mud if there is swamp grass somewhere on your screen. Now, onto the biome!

divider.png

Description
The Underground swamp is a biome that spawns underground. Mudwood trees can be cut down with any axe and will yield Mudwood. Expect a lot of grass to grow and there to be a lot of trees. You will find ponds, both big and small, scattered across the biome. It would be big, like several mushroom biomes put into one. You will find small huts made of mudwood with a chest inside, similar to the jungle shrines in the jungle. You can only find one swamp in your world on the opposite side of your jungle, but can spread it through the use of grass seeds on mud. You will find stubs, mossy rocks, and can fish for Beerfish and Whipeels. Other fish include any fish that can be found in the underground. You will also be able to obtain mossy rocks here, the same ones that you'll find in the background on the surface or anywhere else, really.
divider.png

Enemies
Pre-Hardmode

View attachment 23687
Swimming AI
Damage: 30
Health: 75
Defense: 16
KB Resist: 37%
Drops:
Stone Fish Banner
View attachment 23688

View attachment 23692
Hops around the screen like a mad man. It actually uses the slime AI, but can jump much further and higher. It has 8 defense, 40 health, and 13 damage.

Drops:
Cricket Leg 100%
View attachment 23693

Cricket Banner 1%
View attachment 23694

View attachment 23711
Same stats and AI as the giant worm but can inflict poison on you.

Drops:
Swamp Snake Banner 1%
View attachment 23816

divider.png

Hardmode

View attachment 23695
Uses the fighter AI and has similar stats to a swamp thing. I think swamp things should remain exclusive to Solar Eclipses, so instead of those we have the Mud Buddy. Also drips mud.

Drops:
Mud Doll 3.33%
View attachment 23696

Ancient Disc 1%
View attachment 23697

Mud Buddy Banner 1%
View attachment 23821

wnSpzou.png

Similar stats and AI to the unicorn, but much faster and has a bit more defense. Also, they can open your doors.

Drops:
Raptor Scale (5-7) 33.33%
View attachment 23699

Raptor Banner
View attachment 23825

View attachment 23700
The turtle can chase you both in and out of water. It has about 350 health, 35 defense, and 50 damage. These things are not slow, they're faster than zombies. They can't jump.

Drops:
Primitive Turtle Banner
View attachment 23826

o0NITxX.png

Similar stats to giant tortoises but faster and has less health. They can inflict bleeding when they hit you. They use the unicorn AI.

Drops:
Adhesive Bandage 1%
Adhesive_Bandage.png

And now, last but not least:
View attachment 51284
He has similar stats and AI to the unicorn but deals more damage and makes you confused when he hits you.

Drops:
Onions(1-5) 100%

View attachment 51287

Ogre Banner 1%
View attachment 28385
Critters
View attachment 76246
The slug spawns anywhere in the swamp at any time. It behaves like a glowing snail, able to stick to any surface.
Can be used to create slime with your bare hands.
View attachment 23691x3
Drops:
Slug banner
View attachment 23690

divider.png

Drops and Gear
Now that the enemies are finally out of the way, you probably want to see what to do with their items right?

Cricket Leg
View attachment 23693
25% bait power
Also used as a crafting ingredient for the cricket staff.

Mud Doll
View attachment 23696
Summons a pet mud buddy.

Banners
View attachment 23690View attachment 23688View attachment 23694View attachment 23816 View attachment 23821 View attachment 23825 View attachment 23826View attachment 28385
You already know what a banner is. Going to add more later.

And now for the things you can make with the drops.
View attachment 51285
Throws the potion at the enemy, inflicting sad debuff.
Crafting Recipe:
An onion, waterleaf, and a waterbottle at an imbuing station.
Damage: 25
Duration: 15 seconds

View attachment 51286
Crafting Recipe:
An onion, a beerfish, and a water bottle.
Increases the duration of all your active potions by 1 minute. It does not give a buff, it just adds a minute to your active buffs. It can be activated by pressing your buff key.

Slime Block
View attachment 23736
Recipe: 1 slime at a solidifier.
Gives you sticky debuff for as long as you walk on it. It affects both you and mobs.

Mucous Trackers
View attachment 23737
Crafting Recipe:
1 lightning spark boots and 10 slime at a Tinkerer's Workshop
Has the Lightning spark boots effect and makes you immune to sticky debuff.

Oily Bullet
View attachment 23738
Crafting recipe:
1 onion and 40 musket balls at a mythril anvil. (Makes 40)
7 damage
Gives sad debuff to enemies. Doesn't affect mechanical bosses or Golem.

Oily Arrow
View attachment 23739
Crafting Recipe:
1 onion and 20 arrows at a workbench. (Makes 20)
10 damage

Cricket Staff
View attachment 23743
Recipe: 10 cricket legs and 5 slime.
Summoning Damage: 17
Speed: Fast
Mana Cost: 10
Summons a cricket to fight for you. The cricket leaps around just like the normal one.

Ancient Disc
View attachment 23697
Dropped by mud buddies
Melee Damage: 50
Speed: Average
It's a new boomerang that stacks up to 3.

Dinosaur Armor
View attachment 23751
Recipe:
Dinosaur Cap: 15 Raptor Scales + 15 chlorophyte bars
Dinosaur Shirt: 25 Raptor Scales +30 chlorophyte bars
Dinosaur Skirt: 20 raptor scales +20 chlorophyte bars

Dinosaur Cap: 7 defense
+1 minion
+8% summon damage

Dinosaur Shirt: 8 defense
+1 minion
+8% summon damage

Dinosaur skirt: 7 defense
+1 minion
+8% summon damage

Set bonus:
+4% summon damage and critical strike chance for every kill you make. The bonus gets removed if you haven't killed anything in 15 seconds. Note that you can only get +16% summon critical strike chance and damage max, meaning that only 4 kills will actually increase any stats. A tally mark will appear above your head for every kill and stops at 4.
divider.png

View attachment 71543 And now for chest loot.View attachment 71543
The chests will spawn in the mentioned huts from the beginning. Also, each chest will contain one of these 3 weapons, regular chest loot, some moss seeds, and mossy rocks.

Harvester Scythe
View attachment 23756
Melee Damage: 30
Critical Hits heal you for 20 health.

Muck Pistol
View attachment 23757
Ranged Damage: 20
Speed: Slow
All bullets turn to mud shots when shot. The bullets have a base damage of 7 and can confuse enemies.

Overgrowth
View attachment 23758
Magic Damage: 13
Plants a thorny cat tail plant on the ground that's 4 blocks tall. Hurts enemies when they touch it and has very small knockback. Only lasts for 10 seconds. You can place 2 at once.

Moss Seeds
View attachment 23760
You can find a randomly colored stack of 25 moss seeds of any of these colors. You can only place them on stone and they won't grow anywhere but underground.

Mossy Rock
View attachment 23763
View attachment 23769
You can place them down and they will take on the random shape of any mossy rock. They come in stacks of 30. You can't pick them up after placing them.

Who wants to hear about those Beerfish and Whip Eels?
Beerfish
View attachment 23775
Fished out of water in the swamp.
Used in layering potion.

Whip Eel
View attachment 23776
Fished out of water in hardmode swamp.
Melee Damage: 40

Behaves exactly like the Solar Eruption with half the length. It can confuse enemies.

Debuffs
Sad
View attachment 23867
Lowers damage by 10%.

View attachment 23868
Lowered movement speed.
And that's it. If you liked the underground swamp, maybe you could use the banner?
wm96nsz.png

UPDATE: Going to start working on mudwood furniture, armor, etc. Expect it eventually.
UPDATE: Changed the depression potion so you can throw it and inflict the sad debuff onto enemies. Now it is no longer completely useless.
UPDATE: Changed the depression potion's sprite.
UPDATE: New sprites for raptor, cave bear, and fountains. Also a new banner.
UPDATE: Changed the dinosaur armor set bonus and added chlorophyte to the recipe, instead of minion speed and damage it now gives crit chance and damage.
kdcROYP.png

Thank you for reading,
Feedback and opinions are appreciated.

Last edited:
Layering potion needs to be a little bit harder to get, but otherwise everything else looks great!

Do note that the Dungeon spawns on the opposite side of the jungle, so you may be better off moving this biome to somewhere else. Or making it smaller and spawn numerously alongside mushroom biomes.

This is a well thought biome suggestion. I like those moss ideas too.

The tree leaves on the first image bothers me a bit, left side has a darker outside. and the right side doesn't.

This is a well thought biome suggestion. I like those moss ideas too.

The tree leaves on the first image bothers me a bit, left side has a darker outside. and the right side doesn't.
Yeah I noticed. I made it transparent in gimp and somehow that happened. I was too lazy to fix it.

I heard in a thread that they are planning to make an alt for jungle and cenx said it was swapm i not remember,but i support!

Okay, so this is going to be my biggest suggestion yet. I've done everything I could to make it great. And no, this isn't a jungle alternate. Also note that I'm basing my format off Tobbvald's tinkering.

kdcROYP.png

Introduction
Okay, so my idea is an underground swamp biome. The biome is bigger than a mushroom biome, has plenty of water, and onions! You can only find it underground. Also, before we get into the biome too much, you CAN spread the swamp, but only with the use of a regrowth staff underground. There also has to be at least 50-100 blocks of water and 100 blocks of swamp grass for it to be considered a swamp biome. You can't acquire seeds for it, but the regrowth staff will plant the grass on mud if there is swamp grass somewhere on your screen. Now, onto the biome!

divider.png

Description
The Underground swamp is a biome that spawns underground. Mudwood trees can be cut down with any axe and will yield Mudwood. Expect a lot of grass to grow and there to be a lot of trees. You will find ponds, both big and small, scattered across the biome. Imagine a biome as big as a large mushroom biome. You will find small huts made of mudwood with a chest inside, similar to the jungle shrines in the jungle. You can only find one swamp in your world on the opposite side of your jungle. You will find stubs, mossy rocks, and can fish for Beerfish and Whipeels. Other fish include any fish that can be found in the underground. You will also be able to obtain mossy rocks here, the same ones that you'll find in the background on the surface or anywhere else, really.
divider.png

Enemies
Pre-Hardmode

View attachment 23687
Similar stats to the shark, but has less attack and only has 85 health instead of 100.

Drops:
Stone Fish Banner 1%
View attachment 23688

View attachment 23689
Moves slowly, and doesn't attack until you hurt it. Once angered, it will spit slime at you that does 13 damage and gives you sticky debuff. Touching the slime itself will give you the sticky debuff, but won't hurt you. The slug has 15 defense and 50 health.

Drops:
Slime 33.33%
View attachment 23691

Slug Banner 1%
View attachment 23690

View attachment 23692
Hops around the screen like a mad man. It actually uses the slime AI, but can jump much further and higher. It has 8 defense, 40 health, and 13 damage.

Drops:
Cricket Leg 100%
View attachment 23693

Cricket Banner 1%
View attachment 23694

View attachment 23711
Same stats and AI as the giant worm but can inflict poison on you.

Drops:
Swamp Snake Banner 1%
View attachment 23816

divider.png

Hardmode

View attachment 23695
Uses the fighter AI and has similar stats to a swamp thing. I think swamp things should remain exclusive to Solar Eclipses, so instead of those we have the Mud Buddy.

Drops:
Mud Doll 3.33%
View attachment 23696

Ancient Disc 1%
View attachment 23697

Mud Buddy Banner 1%
View attachment 23821

View attachment 23698
Similar stats and AI to the unicorn, but much faster and has a bit more defense.

Drops:
Raptor Scale (5-7) 33.33%
View attachment 23699

Raptor Banner
View attachment 23825

View attachment 23700
The turtle can chase you both in and out of water. It has about 350 health, 35 defense, and 50 damage. These things are not slow, they're faster than zombies. They can't jump.

Drops:
Primitive Turtle Banner
View attachment 23826

View attachment 23704
Similar stats to giant tortoises but faster and has less health. They can inflict bleeding when they hit you. They use the unicorn AI.

Drops:
Adhesive Bandage 1%
Adhesive_Bandage.png

And now, last but not least:
View attachment 23708
Yes, the glorious man himself. He has similar stats and AI to the unicorn but deals more damage and makes you confused when he hits you.

Drops:
Onions(1-5) 100%
View attachment 23710

divider.png

Drops and Gear
Now that the enemies are finally out of the way, you probably want to see what to do with their items right?

Cricket Leg
View attachment 23693
25% bait power
Also used as a crafting ingredient for the cricket staff.

Mud Doll
View attachment 23696
Summons a pet mud buddy.

Banners
View attachment 23690View attachment 23688View attachment 23694View attachment 23816 View attachment 23821 View attachment 23825 View attachment 23826
You already know what a banner is. Going to add more later.

And now for the things you can make with the drops.
Depression Potion
View attachment 23733
Crafting Recipe:
An onion, waterleaf, and a waterbottle.
Duration: 5 minutes
Gives you sad debuff. Why would you drink that?

Layering Potion
View attachment 23734
Crafting Recipe:
An onion, a beerfish, and a water bottle.
Increases the duration of all your active potions by 1 minute. It does not give a buff, it just adds a minute to your active buffs. It can be activated by pressing your buff key.

Slime Block
View attachment 23736
Recipe: 1 slime at a solidifier.
Gives you sticky debuff for as long as you walk on it. It affects both you and mobs.

Mucous Trackers
View attachment 23737
Crafting Recipe:
1 lightning spark boots and 10 slime at a Tinkerer's Workshop
Has the Lightning spark boots effect and makes you immune to sticky debuff.

Oily Bullet
View attachment 23738
Crafting recipe:
1 onion and 40 musket balls at a mythril anvil. (Makes 40)
7 damage

Oily Arrow
View attachment 23739
Crafting Recipe:
1 onion and 20 arrows at a workbench. (Makes 20)
10 damage

Cricket Staff
View attachment 23743
Recipe: 10 cricket legs and 5 slime.
Summoning Damage: 17
Summons a cricket to fight for you. The cricket leaps around just like the normal one.

Ancient Disc
View attachment 23697
Dropped by mud buddies
Melee Damage: 50
It's a new boomerang that stacks up to 3.

Dinosaur Armor
View attachment 23751
Recipe:
Dinosaur Cap: 15 Raptor Scales
Dinosaur Shirt: 25 Raptor Scales
Dinosaur Skirt: 20 raptor scales

Dinosaur Cap: 7 defense
+1 minion
+8% minion damage

Dinosaur Shirt: 8 defense
+1 minion
+8% minion damage

Dinosaur skirt: 7 defense
+1 minion
+8% minion damage

Set bonus:
+4% minion damage and speed for every kill by a minion. The bonus gets removed if you haven't killed anything in 15 seconds. Note that you can only get +16% minion speed and damage max, meaning that only 4 kills will actually increase any stats. A tally mark will appear above your head for every kill and stops at 4.
divider.png

View attachment 23728And now for chest loot.View attachment 23728
The chests will spawn in the mentioned huts from the beginning. Also, each chest will contain one of these 3 weapons, regular chest loot, some moss seeds, and mossy rocks.

Harvester Scythe
View attachment 23756
Melee Damage: 30
Critical Hits heal you for 20 health. This is a reference to risk of rain.

Muck Pistol
View attachment 23757
Ranged Damage: 20
Speed: Slow
All bullets turn to mud shots when shot. The bullets have a base damage of 7 and can confuse enemies.

Overgrowth
View attachment 23758
Magic Damage: 13
Plants a thorny cat tail plant on the ground that's 4 blocks tall. Hurts enemies when they touch it and has very small knockback. Only lasts for 10 seconds. You can place 2 at once.

Moss Seeds
View attachment 23760
You can find a randomly colored stack of 25 moss seeds of any of these colors. You can only place them on stone and they won't grow anywhere but underground.

Mossy Rock
View attachment 23763
View attachment 23769
You can place them down and they will take on the random shape of any mossy rock. They come in stacks of 30. You can't pick them up after placing them.

Who wants to hear about those Beerfish and Whip Eels?
Beerfish
View attachment 23775
Fished out of water in the swamp.
Used in layering potion.

Whip Eel
View attachment 23776
Fished out of water in hardmode swamp.
Melee Damage: 40
It's like the KO Cannon, except it can confuse enemies. Consider it an upgrade.

Debuffs
Sad
View attachment 23867
Lowers attack and defense.

View attachment 23868
Lowered movement speed.

UPDATE: Going to start working on mudwood furniture, armor, etc. Expect it eventually.
kdcROYP.png

Thank you for reading,
Feedback and opinions are appreciated.
Very nice and well thought out, but I think of the jungle as a swamp. We don't need another biome with such a similar theme. Oh and I love your slug XD

Dinosaurs.

Raptors.

DINOSAURS.

Full support! (A dinosaur mount or summon would be fanceh). I also like the other two prehistory based mobs, overall a really cool suggestion.
Thanks. Actually, this started out as how dinosaurs should be added. I thought of fossils in swamps and by that time I was drawing mud buddies and mounted ogres. I don't plan on making a dinosaur mount though. Maybe something else, but not a raptor mount.

I SUPPORT
WE NEED
NOW

I love how original this idea is, can you make a banner? :dryadwink:

Back
Top Bottom