Underrated Weapons

I don't think this is underrated because it's probably the only melee weapon that has same potential against bosses as ranged or magic weapons in early hardmode because of low use time
Well.First of all,there is the shadowflame DOt which helps it's low damge,and the fact that is auto imo redeems itself against the twins and skelly prime

I wouldn’t neccesarily call the shadowflame knife underrated. I mean, it was when 1.3 first dropped, but for the last few years, it seems like it’s always been recognized as a prime choice for melee.

There are some pretty good bananas ahem,boomerangs and 2 great yoyos

flashbacks to defeating the destroyer with only deadulus stormbow and beam sword
Their range isn’t nearly as good and trying to use them will result in you getting torched by Spazmatism or dying to prime’s melee arms and their lack of pierce also doesn’t really make them good for Destroyer.

I wouldn’t neccesarily call the shadowflame knife underrated. I mean, it was when 1.3 first dropped, but for the last few years, it seems like it’s always been recognized as a prime choice for melee.
True,but now with 1.4 behind us,it seemed like it had gotten forgotten(rhyming unintended)

Also,there is a really easy way to defeat the destroyer.it makes close range weapons viable.As for skelly prime,you could use chain guilltines

Last edited:
True,but now with 1.4 behind us,it seemed like it had gotten forgotten(rhyming unintended)

Also,there is a really easy way to defeat the destroyer.it makes close range weapons viable.As for skelly prime,you could use chain guilltines

Chain Guillotines is pretty good, but that doesn’t change anything about shadowflame knives because neither are really better than the other in my experience. Guillotines have substantially more DPS at the cost of limited range.

True true.But I'm not whether melee is a popular choice now.And I feel like for the skelly prime fight.Uzi is much better in general.

Yeah, Melee never really picks up until post-Plantera where things like Terra Blade, Kraken or Paladin’s Hammer come into play. Until then it’s pretty far behind Ranged and Mage, and depending on who you ask, maybe somewhat behind Summoner.

Yeah, Melee never really picks up until post-Plantera where things like Terra Blade, Kraken or Paladin’s Hammer come into play. Until then it’s pretty far behind Ranged and Mage, and depending on who you ask, maybe somewhat behind Summoner.
That might be right.But I think we're getting a bit off-topic here

Pumpkin Moon ranged weapons (Stake Launcher, Candy Corn Rifle, Jack o Lantern Launcher) are all pretty underrated. 1.4.1 buffed all three weapons and now they do pretty well but not many people use them. Stake Launcher and Candy Corn Rifle are okay at single target and excel at crowd control. Jack o Lantern Launcher is pretty awkward to use but has insane damage payoff.

I feel like the blade of grass is underrated a little bit. The sword is great in size and can inflict poison for additional damage. But the best part of the weapon is the ability to obtain it really early with enough patience. A sword like that pre EoC can do wonders for you.

I feel like the blade of grass is underrated a little bit. The sword is great in size and can inflict poison for additional damage. But the best part of the weapon is the ability to obtain it really early with enough patience. A sword like that pre EoC can do wonders for you.

Well, you can also get things like Boomstick or Thorn Chakram there too, which both do better than it.

Thorn Chakram specifically actually does more DPS when you’re in Blade of Grass’s range than the Blade itself as long as you have feral claws for autoswing (you should), which really hurts Blade’s niche.

On the topic of Thorn Chakram, I’d call that underrated. Ever since feral claws were given autoswing, it’s become *much* more powerful. Autoswing made a world of difference for it. You can basically spam it at enemies and deal consistent and pretty high damage, even more so as you get close to the enemy. It also has above average range for a pre-Hardmode melee weapon, and the benefits you listed for Blade of Grass. It was about as effective for Queen Bee and Skeletron as a Minishark when I used it after 1.4.1.

Well, you can also get things like Boomstick or Thorn Chakram there too, which both do better than it.

Thorn Chakram specifically actually does more DPS when you’re in Blade of Grass’s range than the Blade itself as long as you have feral claws for autoswing (you should), which really hurts Blade’s niche.

On the topic of Thorn Chakram, I’d call that underrated. Ever since feral claws were given autoswing, it’s become *much* more powerful. Autoswing made a world of difference for it. You can basically spam it at enemies and deal consistent and pretty high damage, even more so as you get close to the enemy. It also has above average range for a pre-Hardmode melee weapon, and the benefits you listed for Blade of Grass. It was about as effective for Queen Bee and Skeletron as a Minishark when I used it after 1.4.1.
Maybe, but I’m arguing what’s underrated rather than trying to compare it to other weapons. I don’t think the thorn chakram and boomstick - although I do agree with them being better - completely blows blade of grass out of the water. One thing I like about swords is how they swing in an almost 180 degree angle, which is helpful for taking out the bees spawned by Queen Bee on harder difficulties or killing the stronger bat variants in hordes. More of a situational use, but handy when it comes into play. This is my opinion, anyways. Not saying this is fact.

I was going to say Phoenix Blaster, but then I remembered that it is not autoswing.

Phoenix Blaster is still good even without autofire. It has one of the highest potential DPS of any prehardmode weapon, and it tears apart Underworld enemies and the Wall while still working well enough in Hardmode until you get something better. Aside from hurting your finger, it’s a good weapon.

Back
Top Bottom