• Journey's End on PC - Find info here and here. Please report bugs and issues for PC 1.4 and 1.4.1 to Re-Logic here.
  • Journey's End on Mobile - Find info here. Report bugs for Mobile 1.4 to DR Studios at this link and give as much detail as possible.
  • 1.4 will bring many changes to the PC version. We strongly advise making plans to back up your worlds and players prior to updating your game. More details here.
  • Console and Switch - The latest news can be found here. To report a bug, please use this link.

Wacky NPCs Mod

Spectre Sam

Pixel Pirate
Can you add the star merchant from chinese terraria? No one really knows what they did so you can just make that up, they just look cool
Best image I coud find.
the(1).jpeg

Sora_92

Terrarian
Can you add the star merchant from chinese terraria? No one really knows what they did so you can just make that up, they just look cool
Best image I coud find.View attachment 308428
I seen that before. I think some texture packs use it. He do looks cool, I agree on that. I think, I read that the chinese version has him, replacing skeleton merchat, maybe? maybe because all the skeletal, fleshy stuff are banned in the chinese version...? (that's what I heard. actually, then I wonder about the normal skeleton mobs and the whole crimson biome too, but whatever)

I just wonder, if we would need permission to use this one, and if so, who we would need to asks for the permission. Plus I don't know, what he could do. Otherwise, adding him probably wouldn't be difficult technically, since he must have a full spritesheet somewhere, in a texture pack that uses him.

Quba

Terrarian
Well since he is the Star Merchant how about he sells stuff related to stars, space and floating islands ? For example he could sell the Star Launcher, fallen stars, rarer item drops from Space biome like The Giant Harpy Feather, some items from the Martian Event and maybe some newer items like some star themed weapons or an item to summon the Martian Event without needing to find the probe.

glad to see this mod still has plans for the future, I especially like the mimic merchant and the crimson barkeep (though im not sure how it would work in a corrupt world) because I feel like we need more friendly monsters in terraria (seriously relogic make a slime town pet you cowards)

Sora_92

Terrarian
glad to see this mod still has plans for the future, I especially like the mimic merchant and the crimson barkeep (though im not sure how it would work in a corrupt world) because I feel like we need more friendly monsters in terraria (seriously relogic make a slime town pet you cowards)
Thank you!
Yes, we have all sorts of plans, it's just a bit un-motivating how T-modloader takes so long to catch up ...that being said, I know the team is working on it doing their best, and it surely will be awesome once it's done, but it just hurts modding motivation a bit at the moment.

that aside, things like slime town pet sounds very interesting.
I don't know if we can see the code how town pets work at the moment (and we likely couldn't make them anyway, without T-modloader catching up to 1.4 first) but, once it caught up, I think, it could be possible to add a lot more town pets too?
It would be interesting to add all sorts of pets too!

Sora_92

Terrarian
How about making a guard enemy? Well that was just something kinda random but you can try somthin like that.
I guess that would be possible, but where would such enemies spawn? and why would it be good to fight them? e.g. what they drop, etc.

plus, I guess, there is also that thing, that in vanilla terraria, there are relatively few human enemies in the game (pirates, and presumably the lunar cult). I think, there's kind of a moral dilemma with a hero (or any way main character) killing fellow humans (assuming the MC is a human as well, which is of course not the case all the time)
though, in this regards, the big gap is more like between fighting sapient (humans, dwarves, elves, etc.) and non-sapient things (animals, and other animal-like monsters).
it can feel morally wrong for an MC to kill humans and the like, - maybe except for those who attacked first, like bandits, (pirate invasion is like that).

so, that makes me wonder, how would it be morally justified to fight guards?
or, it would call for specific kind of guards where killing them is better justified. e.g. a bandit camp with outlaws who terrorize the area.

on a side note, that's about assuming the MC is on the side of good, or neutral to some extent - I generally kind of consider terraria MCs as chaotic neutral, because most things (though not all), are about the MCs' selfish greed, for riches, power, etc. they help some (town NPCs) fight some (monsters), but it's mostly based on what MC wants. but they might still have a human-like moral compass, so killing humans could be problematic.
but, of course, the player could play an anti-hero too. in which case it could be simply that it fits that character. but that's only for characters like that. so, I don't know how to justify it to fit all types of main characters to fight guards...?

Vampyre77

Skeletron
I guess that would be possible, but where would such enemies spawn? and why would it be good to fight them? e.g. what they drop, etc.

plus, I guess, there is also that thing, that in vanilla terraria, there are relatively few human enemies in the game (pirates, and presumably the lunar cult). I think, there's kind of a moral dilemma with a hero (or any way main character) killing fellow humans (assuming the MC is a human as well, which is of course not the case all the time)
though, in this regards, the big gap is more like between fighting sapient (humans, dwarves, elves, etc.) and non-sapient things (animals, and other animal-like monsters).
it can feel morally wrong for an MC to kill humans and the like, - maybe except for those who attacked first, like bandits, (pirate invasion is like that).

so, that makes me wonder, how would it be morally justified to fight guards?
or, it would call for specific kind of guards where killing them is better justified. e.g. a bandit camp with outlaws who terrorize the area.

on a side note, that's about assuming the MC is on the side of good, or neutral to some extent - I generally kind of consider terraria MCs as chaotic neutral, because most things (though not all), are about the MCs' selfish greed, for riches, power, etc. they help some (town NPCs) fight some (monsters), but it's mostly based on what MC wants. but they might still have a human-like moral compass, so killing humans could be problematic.
but, of course, the player could play an anti-hero too. in which case it could be simply that it fits that character. but that's only for characters like that. so, I don't know how to justify it to fit all types of main characters to fight guards...?
Technically, all the "humans" are called terrarians.

Sora_92

Terrarian
¿Pueden los guardias interactuar entre sí?
Sorry, I don't speak Spanish(?). Put it in google translate, and I got "Can the guards interact with each other?" - if you meant to ask that, or did google mistranslated it?

As for that, the guards - right now - are all just furnitures, they can't do anything at all, they're just decoration.
We're planning to make them give a buff like "guarded" which gives +5 def to players nearby guards. this won't stack with other guards, so it can't be abused much - it could stack with Bast Statues though - in fact, I think using the bast statues' code for base would be what we need there, so that's something for when T-modloader caught up to 1.4. that, and other updates of the mod as well. there are plenty of ideas, but we're waiting for T-modloader to catch up.

Also there could be some animated guards and other deco, but never done such before so should learn how to make such first (hopefully that's not difficult).

But as for guards that do actual things, I'm not sure what they could do, and how to code such - and, whether it's actually good or not. For example, it might be possible to make some work like traps, and shoot out projectiles like arrows when wired, but I don't think that's really useful or necessary...? or could be abused too much or dunno.

and not quite sure how could guards interact with other guards, considering they're all just furnitures. technically, it might be possible to make animated guards who seem to fight (e.g. repeatedly swinging their halberd or something) which could be placed facing a target dummy, or another similar guard to look like they're training/fighting, but it's all just animation, they don't actually interact with each other...

Top Bottom