What do you think is the WORST TOOL in Terraria?

my least favourite is the molten pickaxe. sloooowly....

but for uselessnes, i think the ice rod. shoots ice blocks. wow. and what? 29 damage?
it costs a platinum as well, so you probably wont get it before you get wings wich is both more usefull and simpler. it has so little use, that its more of a mob blocker than a weapon or bridge making tool.

but for uselessnes, i think the ice rod. shoots ice blocks. wow. and what? 29 damage?
it costs a platinum as well, so you probably wont get it before you get wings wich is both more usefull and simpler. it has so little use, that its more of a mob blocker than a weapon or bridge making tool.

I have to disagree, I'd say that the ice rod is pretty useful for several reasons; It can keep you airborne when you have wings or a grappling hook, has use as a projectile shield and.. it's saved me from a few lava pits aswell.. ^ ^;

I'm surprised this hasn't been said yet, but... the Hammush. It has identical stats to the Pwnhammer, apart from... what, 5% more power? It destroys walls at exactly the same rate, and spawns distracting floaty mushrooms when you swing it- they might be good in combat, but the Mushroom Spear does it way better. It's only ever seen the light of day when some guy made a GIF of it for the wiki, and when Red showed it off in the "random happenings" 1.2 spoiler back in May of 2013. It seemed cool at first, but has since turned into one of the most obscure and underused items in the game- and for a good reason.

As a tool, it sucks. You would not believe...

...hammush I hate it.

*ba dum- tsss*

Last edited:
my least favourite is the molten pickaxe. sloooowly....

the ice rod must be my favourite building tool. i have had issues with the molten in the past but it will never be a bad pickaxe to me, even though we hate it its an important role in terraria!

I'm surprised this hasn't been said yet, but... the Hammush. It has identical stats to the Pwnhammer, apart from... what, 5% more power? It destroys walls at exactly the same rate, and spawns distracting floaty mushrooms when you swing it- they might be good in combat, but the Mushroom Spear does it way better. It's only ever seen the light of day when some guy made a GIF of it for the wiki, and when Red showed it off in the "random happenings" 1.2 spoiler back in May of 2013. It seemed cool at first, but has since turned into one of the most obscure and underused items in the game- and for a good reason.

As a tool, it sucks. You would not believe...

...hammush I hate it.

*ba dum- tsss*

Oh my God, that pun... I... it burns! I think... I think I'm dying!

On topic, probably the Spectre Hamaxe. I love the weapon, I love its design and all - admittedly, my use of it as the infamous Cydd Coldtaint on several servers did help that...

...But as a tool, it's pretty lousy. Ectoplasm isn't the easiest of things to get, and its obtained right at the very end of the game. Yet for all that, it fails to impress. It's a Hamaxe? So what. When the heck do you need wood, anyways? And if you do, well, you've got that Copper Axe for that, or something along those lines. It's even a tiny-bit-slower than the Pwnhammer, which even renders it rather obsolete for wall-smashing!

I know it has added range... but, really, for wall-smashing it's really best if you start close to yourself and work your way out from there. In fact, the added range is more of a nuisance than anything - using the thing as a weapon, prepare to see your house and home get its walls seriously messed up, haha!

On topic, probably the Spectre Hamaxe. I love the weapon, I love its design and all - admittedly, my use of it as the infamous Cydd Coldtaint on several servers did help that...

...But as a tool, it's pretty lousy. Ectoplasm isn't the easiest of things to get, and its obtained right at the very end of the game. Yet for all that, it fails to impress. It's a Hamaxe? So what. When the heck do you need wood, anyways? And if you do, well, you've got that Copper Axe for that, or something along those lines. It's even a tiny-bit-slower than the Pwnhammer, which even renders it rather obsolete for wall-smashing!

I know it has added range... but, really, for wall-smashing it's really best if you start close to yourself and work your way out from there. In fact, the added range is more of a nuisance than anything - using the thing as a weapon, prepare to see your house and home get its walls seriously messed up, haha!
I don't know about you, but I love the Spectre Hamaxe. The whole purpose of +3 range is to make it more useful in building, just like the Spectre paint tools, and it's nice for hammering blocks when you'd otherwise have to be jumping around to reach them. The slow speed is also, oddly enough, helpful. If you're trying to break just a few bits of wall, you'll find that a faster tool will often destroy unwanted pieces due to how the edges of walls extend something like 50% of a block out from where they are. It's frustrating.

Yeah, the Spectre Hamaxe isn't that great overall, but it's still useful in its own way.

I don't know about you, but I love the Spectre Hamaxe. The whole purpose of +3 range is to make it more useful in building, just like the Spectre paint tools, and it's nice for hammering blocks when you'd otherwise have to be jumping around to reach them. The slow speed is also, oddly enough, helpful. If you're trying to break just a few bits of wall, you'll find that a faster tool will often destroy unwanted pieces due to how the edges of walls extend something like 50% of a block out from where they are. It's frustrating.

Yeah, the Spectre Hamaxe isn't that great overall, but it's still useful in its own way.

Ah, I think you got me a bit wrong, compadre.

I think the Spectre Hamaxe is just great. It looks that, and it feels oddly satisfying to use in combat for whatever reason. And heck, it's the last damn Hammer, Axe and/or Hamaxe available ingame. But me personally, I'm just not convinced by the 'bonuses' it lends to building. If I'm that far away from a chunk of wall, that really tells me I need to get a little closer, and be a bit more precise. All the +3 range does is annoy when swung by accident, in my humble opinion.

As for the speed, well, that's really tit-for-tat in this case, as it's so close to that of the Pwnhammer. If you did want a slow hammer, though, you'd be better off by far with the Chlorophyte Warhammer, an item made with much more readily-available material. And if you really wanted to be careful, there's always the Wooden Hammer... haha!

Although as regards to fast hammers, there's the Chloro Jackhammer, the Rockfish, The Axe (admittedly not a commonplace weapon), the Hammush, the aforementioned Pwnhammer; even the Molten Hamaxe and Plat Hammer which beat the Hamaxe. So in other words, its the middle-of-the-road option, which just doesn't please most people!

Hey, but nonetheless, if you like the Hamaxe as both a tool and a weapon, then more power to ya!

Chlorophyte Drill

Slower than the pickaxe, and any of the chlorophyte mining equipment is useless because the Pickaxe Axe is easier to get and it has pretty much the same speed. By the time you get one, you might as well just be going to fight the golem and getting the picksaw or spend some shroomite on the digging claw.

Everyone can see through that, now you're just making attention. Copper hammer is useful, infact, some people like to keep this through to when they get a pwnhammer.

Why would you want a Copper Hammer, when...

1). You could make a Wooden Hammer for the Shadow Orbs/Demon Hearts far, far easier
2). You don't NEED a hammer (unless you build underground) 'cept for Orbs/Hearts.
3). The Meteor Hamaxe is vastly superior to both a Wooden, and a Copper Hammer AND doubles as an Axe.
4). The Molten Hamaxe is even better! (almost as good as a Pwnhammer while doubling as an Axe).

To be honest, I can't think of a single useful thing Copper Bars are actually useful for.

Weapons? Too weak.
Tools? You start with 2 out of 3 and they all suck.
A Watch? Meh, I suppose? If you really needed to tell time that badly...
Armor? Just get a +2 Defense or better Shackle and wait until you've enough silver/gold (or their equivalents).

What good is copper? I don't think I've ever used a single copper bar in any of my last 3+ playthroughs.

Why would you want a Copper Hammer, when...

1). You could make a Wooden Hammer for the Shadow Orbs/Demon Hearts far, far easier
2). You don't NEED a hammer (unless you build underground) 'cept for Orbs/Hearts.
3). The Meteor Hamaxe is vastly superior to both a Wooden, and a Copper Hammer AND doubles as an Axe.
4). The Molten Hamaxe is even better! (almost as good as a Pwnhammer while doubling as an Axe).

To be honest, I can't think of a single useful thing Copper Bars are actually useful for.

Weapons? Too weak.
Tools? You start with 2 out of 3 and they all suck.
A Watch? Meh, I suppose? If you really needed to tell time that badly...
Armor? Just get a +2 Defense or better Shackle and wait until you've enough silver/gold (or their equivalents).

What good is copper? I don't think I've ever used a single copper bar in any of my last 3+ playthroughs.
Copper is a bit faster than wooden. Besides, you would want to save wood wouldn't you?

Copper is a bit faster than wooden. Besides, you would want to save wood wouldn't you?

Given that you can plant acorns when you cut trees down which gives you basically unlimited wood, I have my doubts that one would really care about the wood usage that much. I suppose it depends upon whether or not you get the copper before needing a hammer.

The speed doesn't really matter if all you're doing is smashing an orb or heart TBH. It amounts to maybe a second difference at most.

Given that you can plant acorns when you cut trees down which gives you basically unlimited wood, I have my doubts that one would really care about the wood usage that much. I suppose it depends upon whether or not you get the copper before needing a hammer.

The speed doesn't really matter if all you're doing is smashing an orb or heart TBH. It amounts to maybe a second difference at most.
Some people prefer copper than wood, that's my opinion.

Some people prefer copper than wood, that's my opinion.

I suppose... I guess....? *Shrugs* IMO, it is akin to discussing the pros and cons between Iron vs Copper Armor... no matter how the discussion ends, you'll be throwing it away ASAP and the difference between the two is negligible anyways.

I will admit during one particular playthrough, I made a tungsten hammer, because I was building underground (I didn't feel like building a temporary house and having to move everything later) and I really didn't feel like knocking out the background blocks with a wooden (or even a copper!) hammer. It was still slow, but not quite as slow as it would have been with the two aforementioned hammers.

Back
Top Bottom