tModLoader Wildlife Mod

Reeds.png
New spoiler for next update!
[doublepost=1502291470,1502291398][/doublepost]http://www.strawpoll.me/13660766 vote

Deer are flummoxed by hammered half-blocks

Terraria Wildlife - deer vs half-blocks.JPG

I like the Bamboo, but it looks a little too thick. Eventually, variants like books/coral would be nice. Also, stacking them one on top of another to make taller bamboo, maybe with a reduction in height for a single Bamboo.

Alright, new update.
update 0.4:
-Added particle effects to golden animals
-Changed mining sounds for flux coral
-Fixed bamboo spawning! now spawns more often, doesnt constnatly spawn in the same place, actually spawns near the edges of the world, and spawns on grass.
-Added cattails, a new plant that spawns near water.
-Added Gelons, a new edible plant that grows in the mushroom biome
-Nerfed the rate of all previous plant spawning.
-Fixed turtles and deers having trouble navigating ledges
-Aded strawberry plants, another edible. Grow on grass anywhere.
-Added 3 different types of fairies, that spawn in the hallow at night. Each can be captured and turned into fairies in a bottle, which are potions with different effects depending on the fairy
-Added deer blood as a rare drop from deers. Drink it to gain a temporary damage boost.
-Added snakes, that spawn in the desert and slither around
-They also have a golden counterpart
-Added Frost shine, a new, crystalline plant that spawns in the tundra
-Critters are no longer targettable by minions!
-Sorted item folders. Should be in groups in crafting and in cheatsheet
-More stuff I may have forgotten!

DOWNLOAD: https://www.mediafire.com/file/5qg550dqf6qswkk/Wildlife.tmod

Last edited:
Drinking fairies? 'o_O Wow, that seems mean. I'd love to be able to place them, though - they could hang from a ceiling like a Star in a Bottle or sit on a flat surface, like a Jellyfish Jar, or both!

Bugs
- releasing unbottled fairies releases two fairies per click instead of one, same with snakes and monkeys. Tested against vanilla frogs, which release one at a time, so I don't think it's just my mouse.
- Frost Shine uproots Shiverthorn

May not be a bug, just noting this:
- 50 Frost Shine grew over the top of my Snow biome (which is approximately 710 blocks wide, mostly flat but broken by corruption chasms) in 9 minutes.

Suggestions:
- don't require a placed bottle to make a Bottled Fairy; that introduces the odd possibility of getting one fairy into more than one bottle, using the Alchemy Table. "By hand" would avoid that.
- Deer Antlers, craftable into a wall-mounted trophy

Drinking fairies? 'o_O Wow, that seems mean. I'd love to be able to place them, though - they could hang from a ceiling like a Star in a Bottle or sit on a flat surface, like a Jellyfish Jar, or both!

Bugs
- releasing unbottled fairies releases two fairies per click instead of one, same with snakes and monkeys. Tested against vanilla frogs, which release one at a time, so I don't think it's just my mouse.
- Frost Shine uproots Shiverthorn

May not be a bug, just noting this:
- 50 Frost Shine grew over the top of my Snow biome (which is approximately 710 blocks wide, mostly flat but broken by corruption chasms) in 9 minutes.

Suggestions:
- don't require a placed bottle to make a Bottled Fairy; that introduces the odd possibility of getting one fairy into more than one bottle, using the Alchemy Table. "By hand" would avoid that.
- Deer Antlers, craftable into a wall-mounted trophy
Thanks for the feedback. Fixed the issue with releasing critters and nerfed the spawnrate of frost shine.

Also made the bottled fairies not require a bottle. Look forward to these in the next update :)

Bug
- strawberries grow underwater

Suggestion
- cat tails would be another great candidate for vertical stacking, so they can stick out of deeper water and wave around a bit

No opinion on rate of strawberry spawning, haven't seen enough of them, but that may be due to the contours of the grassy areas in my build.

Three suggestions;

1. Arctic Fox variant in snow biomes.
  2. When owls are added, give their AI a behaviour of attacking mice and then becoming calm/passive for a few moments. Clever players can catch mice underground and release them on the surface to catch owls more easily.
  3. A few of these animals would make great pets.

I really like this mod, but I feel like the AI for some animals could definitely use tweaking. Especially the deer constantly gets stuck in a running animation which is quite annoying.

I also feel like there is just a bit much of everything. There are tons of plants everywhere and there's always animals running around. A config file so we could decide our own spawnrates would be nice.

Alright guys, theres a new update in town!
-Nerfed the spawnrate of all critters slightly
-Nerfed spawnrate of all plants drastically. Gelons and strawberries especially.
-Added new recipes for vanilla potions, that use the new plants (and animals?)
-Added new potions, using the new herbs and animals!
-Added a new plant, magma corn! Grows next to lava on stone.
-Added bamboo arrows, which pierce enemies. Make 30 with one bamboo
-Bamboo now drops 2-4 pieces of bamboo. 5 "pieces" make a stalk, which places the bamboo.
-Slightly changed buff time on green fairy in a bottle
-Gave flux coral it's own inventory sprite
-Probably some other stuff i forgot. Next update will be a bugfixing/polish update!

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/5qg550dqf6qswkk/Wildlife.tmod
[doublepost=1502495583,1502495567][/doublepost]I'll update the OP soon.

Alright guys, theres a new update in town!
-Nerfed the spawnrate of all critters slightly
-Nerfed spawnrate of all plants drastically. Gelons and strawberries especially.
-Added new recipes for vanilla potions, that use the new plants (and animals?)
-Added new potions, using the new herbs and animals!
-Added a new plant, magma corn! Grows next to lava on stone.
-Added bamboo arrows, which pierce enemies. Make 30 with one bamboo
-Bamboo now drops 2-4 pieces of bamboo. 5 "pieces" make a stalk, which places the bamboo.
-Slightly changed buff time on green fairy in a bottle
-Gave flux coral it's own inventory sprite
-Probably some other stuff i forgot. Next update will be a bugfixing/polish update!

It's great to see the additions getting a useful purpose. From what I've seen so far after destroying all strawberry plants (again :p) the spawnrate is a lot more reasonable. Thank you :)

Some suggestions: I'd love to see some extremely rare plants that can replace fish in potion recipes. Some players (myself included) are quickly tired of fishing, but I have to do so if I want to get my buffs. Scavenging for plants would be much more fun to do.

It's great to see the additions getting a useful purpose. From what I've seen so far after destroying all strawberry plants (again :p) the spawnrate is a lot more reasonable. Thank you :)

Some suggestions: I'd love to see some extremely rare plants that can replace fish in potion recipes. Some players (myself included) are quickly tired of fishing, but I have to do so if I want to get my buffs. Scavenging for plants would be much more fun to do.
A few of a vanilla potion recipes do usually require fish, but could have the new plants used instead :)

Theres a new update!
-Strawberry and gelon effects changed, gelons increased minion slots for 1 minute, strawberries give a short speed boost.
-Blue fairy now gives reduced mana cost by 10%, greater mana potions had made the old one redundant
-Bamboo has a better inventory icon
-New potion: the ascension potion, increases flight time very slightly, made with souls of flight and some plants
-Critters now have sell values
-Magma corn has a new inventory sprite
-Dragonflies are new bait
-Warmth potion doesn't craft the Flying Dutchman trophy
-More stuff I forgot

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/5qg550dqf6qswkk/Wildlife.tmod

Here are some of my suggestions :dryadsmile:
Snow Biome: Deers, Mountain Goats, Oxes, Mammoths, Arctic Foxes
Desert: Lizards, Snakes, Coyotes
Jungle: Parrots, Ocelots
Forest: Badger (night), hedgehog, foxes, woodpecker, ferret, guinea pig
Ocean: Roly Polies (on beach), turtles, dolphins, shrimps, sponges, guppies
Hope I've given you a few nice ideas :dryadhappy:
Also great mod btw!

Would love to see a use for Strawberries such as being able to turn them into lesser healing potions at the very least or something, but anyways would love to see a config to where we can set our spawn rates since the spawn rates for things is still on the high side.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom