3DS Worst version of Terraria

Arctiq

Terrarian
So.. Despite my disgust with the 3DS version of Terraria, I decided to give it another shot. I've spent an hour into the game and I cannot stand it any more.

Problem 1: The UI keeps getting in the way. Whenever I try and build, all of the floating text from the mobs and stuff keeps getting in the way. Especially when zombies are constantly above me when I'm trying to build a few blocks underground. Not to mention the freaking annoying button prompts for interactable items.

Problem 2: There are a few annoying glitches. One involving the touch screen. Sometimes, when I'm sure I've selected an item with my finger, it doesn't change. You have to precisely tap it for it to work. Annoying. There is also a glitch where you cannot hammer slopes on the ceiling at an angle.

Problem 3: Auto equip gear. I hate this feature. There needs to be a way to turn it off.

Problem 4: World size is too small. I can understand that the old 3DS is unable to handle big world sizes, but why can't there be a version exclusive to the New 3DS?

I am really dissappointed with this version. Why is this version $20?? It should be only $10. It's not even updated to 1.3. Such a waste of money. It's just an enhanced mobile port with no 3D.

Problem 3: Auto equip gear. I hate this feature. There needs to be a way to turn it off.

Seems to be a reasonable concern.

Problem 4: World size is too small. I can understand that the old 3DS is unable to handle big world sizes, but why can't there be a version exclusive to the New 3DS?

You realize that making multiple exclusive versions for different 3DS variations would A: create incompatibility between versions, which as far as I'm aware tends to be avoided and B: further increase development costs, which leads to . . .

I am really dissappointed with this version. Why is this version $20?? It should be only $10. It's not even updated to 1.3. Such a waste of money. It's just an enhanced mobile port with no 3D.

A $10 day 1 price point for a game as popular as Terraria on the 3DS is virtually unheard of. This isn't just PC here, where all funds go to Relogic and a bit to Steam . . . once big name manufacturers get involved, there are going to be additional costs for the port and to the system creator. It may not be 1.3, but Terraria was a solid, enjoyable game well worth the money as far back as 1.0. I understand if you are disappointed, and that's fair, but you should realize that a $10 pricing on a game like this is incredibly unrealistic. Most games start at a $30-$35 price point, and triple A titles like Pokemon frequently run $40.

$20 is a bargain for one of the most high value/per dollar spent games on the market, and while that doesn't address the need for significant bug resolution or some balance/feature concerns, there is no way this is overpriced for the game in question.

Like they said, the 3D feature just won't look good with the way Terraria looks. Bigger world sizes may be offered in a later update for the N-3DS. Instead of using your finger, use the stylus. Not to be a jerk, I think you should use a bit of common sense. There will be flaws on release. And since Christmas is just around the corner, be thankful they even decided to make and release a port and update it later. You know they could have just scraped it. I personally have not tried it myself, but just be glad they made the port.

I play the PC version, Vita, and the 3DS version.
You should use a stylus.
If you are not building with the build screen, well, then you should be.
I keep it up for most fights too, for more precise targeting.
Don't forget about using the X button to lock on.
The touchscreen build interface is fast, and incredibly useful for precise building. Easier than the PC even.
I know it does not have watches, and the worlds are small.
Its still loads of fun.
-Rix

I play the PC version, Vita, and the 3DS version.
You should use a stylus.
If you are not building with the build screen, well, then you should be.
I keep it up for most fights too, for more precise targeting.
Don't forget about using the X button to lock on.
The touchscreen build interface is fast, and incredibly useful for precise building. Easier than the PC even.
I know it does not have watches, and the worlds are small.
Its still loads of fun.
-Rix
The 3ds version most assuredly does not have watches. But it does still have timers, which is usually what a watch us for. You now buy timers from the mechanic. She sells 1 second, 3 second, and 5 second timers. I've wired up a heart statue to a 1 second timer with 3 colored wired to get 3 heart spawns every 1 second. Everything works fine.

As it stands, yes you are right. It is the worst version of the game, as far as I can tell. Other than mobile. (Unless mobile has online?)

I don't like how it's based off of mobile.

The sense of progression is broken, like finding a Drax in a hallowed chest in easy mode. (who thought that was a good idea?)

The character glows, making buying the mining helmet pointless, not to mention shine potions and torches. Again, why did they do this?

The day/night cycle is shorter than PC? This again changes the whole feel of the game, making it awkward to farm for lenses and stuff.

Also, bosses seem very easy - likely to compensate for the shorter day/night cycle... As you don't get as much time to fight them before they despawn...

I can understand why they made the mobile version stupidly easy - there are no buttons. But there are on 3DS.

I know the 3DS has its limitations, but if they could just make the game play a bit more like traditional Terraria and less like mobile...

The world size is insane. Probably the worst thing about the game...
They could of let us save more than 3 worlds...
They've made Hermes boots rare, presumably because there's no need to run anywhere. lol
And NO ONLINE! Sorry but that's just lazy. They say it's because Nintendo won't allow them to add it because you could write/build naughty things... Or something along those lines. (Then please explain why it will be featured on the Wii U version?) eugh...

Then there's the pricing. Of course you have the right to be ticked off. You are paying more money for less.
It is essentially the mobile version, so shouldn't it be priced similarly?
Why is the most featureless, cut back version of the game is the most expensive?

But yeah, there's so much wrong with this version. I don't think it was ready to be released when it was. Haven't even mentioned the glitches yet.

And lol, disclaimer; I actually really enjoy this game and I'm happy we get a 3DS version. Just find this sort of stuff annoying.

And NO ONLINE! Sorry but that's just lazy. They say it's because Nintendo won't allow them to add it because you could write/build naughty things... Or something along those lines. (Then please explain why it will be featured on the Wii U version?) eugh...
I believe this is actually due to the RAM limitations. It takes a lot of processing power and memory to upload and download the entire map and all the enemies.
The world size is insane. Probably the worst thing about the game...
They could of let us save more than 3 worlds...
Again, this is an RAM issue as Terraria loads the entire world into RAM.
I do agree about the number of saves though. Considering 3DS uses SD cards you can increase your storage.

As for your earlier stuff I can agree that the game needs some rebalancing for the new easier controls.

Then there's the pricing. Of course you have the right to be ticked off. You are paying more money for less.
It is essentially the mobile version, so shouldn't it be priced similarly?
Why is the most featureless, cut back version of the game is the most expensive?
You said so yourself that the controls make playing this game very different from Mobile. There's also the fact that Nintendo is taking a chunk of the profits and therefore has a say in the price point.

It's just an enhanced mobile port
This.
I have no idea why CodeGlue was put in charge of this version. It was painstakingly clear from the mobile version they were unable to handle porting it, and they get charge of 3DS? The 3DS version is a :red:ty port of a :red:ty port.

This.
I have no idea why CodeGlue was put in charge of this version. It was painstakingly clear from the mobile version they were unable to handle porting it, and they get charge of 3DS? The 3DS version is a :red:ty port of a :red:ty port.
CodeGlue was put in charge of 3DS because the 3DS has only 25% of the RAM of last gen consoles and 10% the processing power. That makes it comparable to mobile phones rather than consoles.
The mobile version has actually been hugely successful. There are bugs here and there but CodeGlue has done a lot of work to remove a majority of them. Even PC updates required hot fixes, they are just slower on mobile and console due to the certification process done by Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Android, etc.

Arrogant much?

First of all, expecting the game to have 1.3 already is just flat out unreasonable. None of the other ports have 1.3, why expect this version to have it? Plus, that's implying the game was bad before 1.3, which it wasn't.

Second of all, world size shouldn't be a problem when it's possible to make more worlds. They should increase the number of worlds you can save, not the size of the worlds.

Third of all, "It's just an enhanced Mobile port with no 3D"? It's a 2D game, it's not supposed to have 3D. And, of course it's a Mobile port. It's a mobile platform. What did you expect?

Last of all, and this is directed more at some of the other commenters, CodeGlue knows what they're doing. It was already said before that porting Terraria to 3DS at all was impossible due to limitations, but lo and behold, who performed the impossible? CodeGlue did. Show them an ounce of respect please.

There are bugs here and there
Here and there? There are bugs everywhere.
Who could forget the classics, like:
  • The game refusing to launch
  • The game crashing on launch
  • The other time the game was crashing on launch
  • The third time
  • That time the game reverted to the trial version
  • The countless gameplay bugs
The mobile version since launch has been a buggy mess, and such bugs such as the game reverting to the trial verison should have been caught before the update was released. The lack of any quality assurance is quite clear from this, and it carries over to the 3DS version. Loki saying not all bugs can be found before hand, sure, but if the game had any quality assurance or just a team of people listening to what people said before launch would've avoided a lot of them.
I mean, can it really be said that no one tried:
  • Going into a Mushroom Biome
  • Using a spear
  • Making stairs
  • Trying to fight Duke Fishron
  • Reading the text on Magic weapons and fishing poles
And more? It honestly feels like the game was rushed out for Christmas.

Honestly the worst part about it is that they made it exactly like Mobile, with the game being piss easy for no reason.

Here and there? There are bugs everywhere.
Who could forget the classics, like:
  • The game refusing to launch
  • The game crashing on launch
  • The other time the game was crashing on launch
  • The third time
  • That time the game reverted to the trial version
  • The countless gameplay bugs
The mobile version since launch has been a buggy mess, and such bugs such as the game reverting to the trial verison should have been caught before the update was released. The lack of any quality assurance is quite clear from this, and it carries over to the 3DS version. Loki saying not all bugs can be found before hand, sure, but if the game had any quality assurance or just a team of people listening to what people said before launch would've avoided a lot of them.
I mean, can it really be said that no one tried:
  • Going into a Mushroom Biome
  • Using a spear
  • Making stairs
  • Trying to fight Duke Fishron
  • Reading the text on Magic weapons and fishing poles
And more? It honestly feels like the game was rushed out for Christmas.

Honestly the worst part about it is that they made it exactly like Mobile, with the game being piss easy for no reason.
The QA team has been under reform in the last month's. From here on out expect much better results. I am under the impression that past QA teams for the other ports never had saves from before the update they were testing but I can't say for certain.

So far I'm loving it! Yes, the worlds are small, and yes, there are a lot of bugs, but never the less, it's better than mobile :p Defintely my second favorite version, first being terraria PC.

It was more of a last decision on there part of when they where going to release it, several reasons could be said, for the most part, it would be better to find the bugs and fix them before the hardcopies, it would have been worse if wii and 3ds where released at once with tons of bug, at least there able to fix them before they do release. This port is extremely wonderful, and the bugs aren't that bad, plus usefull, plus 3ds titles are tons more different then mobile apps when bought and perform, so you needen' t worry on performance or saves.

So.. Despite my disgust with the 3DS version of Terraria, I decided to give it another shot. I've spent an hour into the game and I cannot stand it any more.

Problem 1: The UI keeps getting in the way. Whenever I try and build, all of the floating text from the mobs and stuff keeps getting in the way. Especially when zombies are constantly above me when I'm trying to build a few blocks underground. Not to mention the freaking annoying button prompts for interactable items.

Problem 2: There are a few annoying glitches. One involving the touch screen. Sometimes, when I'm sure I've selected an item with my finger, it doesn't change. You have to precisely tap it for it to work. Annoying. There is also a glitch where you cannot hammer slopes on the ceiling at an angle.

Well that hurts. Terraria 3DS was the first time I ever played terraria 6 years ago. Also the version was discontinued ages ago, so of course it’s not 1.3 because it was discontinued before the 1.3 port was ready.

Back
Top Bottom