Weapons & Equip The Stress Ball and what it teaches us

Xylia

Terrarian
So, for those of you who haven't seen Chippy's latest video and don't keep up with Terraria news, they are adding an item called the Stress Ball.

What it does, is when equipped, makes your character use whatever weapon or tool they have currently selected in their hotbar without any input from you, for setting up AFK farms.

This news was accompanied by a tweet from Red that he got tired of trying to find things to weigh down his mouse button with.

Now, what utterly amazes me is that Red seems to recognize how annoying it is to have to keep clicking or holding down the mouse button, and gave us an item to do AFK farms...

Can someone tell me why we do not have Auto-Swing on all weapons!?!?

Seriously, Red.

You understand RSI is a thing. Why are we still click-click-clicking with all early game melee weapons and a few into the latter half of the game? Why aren't they all auto-swing by now?

RSI is no joke, and I don't like wearing out my mouse buttons either.

So please do us all a favor. Make all tools and weapons Auto-Swing (they continue to swing while you hold the mouse button down like most late-game weapons do).

Is there? It must have slipped under my radar. If so, then go ahead and lock the thread or something.

But weird that it's an option and not just built into the game by default.
It was added recently in 1.4.4

and yeah i agree, it should just be on by default
they even rebalanced the few weapons that had a large chunk of their DPS locked behind a lack of autofire (phoenix blaster, venus magnum, handgun)

It was added recently in 1.4.4

and yeah i agree, it should just be on by default
they even rebalanced the few weapons that had a large chunk of their DPS locked behind a lack of autofire (phoenix blaster, venus magnum, handgun)

That would be why; I haven't played much since 1.4.4 admittedly.

Such an important feature really ought to be front-and-center or just turned on be default and players can turn it off if they wished? /shrug

EDIT: Thanks for letting me know about said feature, though!

Such an important feature really ought to be front-and-center or just turned on be default and players can turn it off if they wished? /shrug
Making the setting on by default wouldn't work. When a new player turns off the setting to try it out they would be very confused when they find out a vast majority of weapons still autofire. If you didn't know about the setting, the Feral claws effect "allows melee weapons to autoswing" would be very confusing too.

If a change is made the setting should just be removed altogether, make every single weapon autofire and rebalance whatever is left to rebalance.

I am still a bit angry that they rebalanced Phoenix Blaster for the autofire setting. I always saw autofire as an accessibility feature, and I actually ENJOY timing my clicks with Phoenix Blaster so now it just feels worse to use. The rebalances should really be only be active if the autofire setting is turned on.

Last edited:
That would be why; I haven't played much since 1.4.4 admittedly.
This is very surprising to hear, with all the changes to Melee Class and its Weapons, I figured you more than anyone would be playing Terraria like crazy.

I'm curious, what's your take on the new Phaseblade/ sabers (1.4.5 spoilers)? Did you enjoy any of the original 1.4.4 changes to the Classic/ Legacy Weapons?

I am still a bit angry that they rebalanced Phoenix Blaster for the autofire setting. I always saw autofire as an accessibility feature, and I actually ENJOY timing my clicks with Phoenix Blaster so now it just feels worse to use. The rebalances should really be only be active if the autofire setting is turned on.
If it makes you feel any better, the rebalances to phoenix blaster weren't really a nerf (especially the 1.4.4.8 one), they decreased the fire rate by a bit but increased the damage by a decent amount. The rythmn is likely just different than you are used to as it shoots slower. Funnily enough venus magnum is actually autofire now, regardless of if you have the setting on.

If it makes you feel any better, the rebalances to phoenix blaster weren't really a nerf (especially the 1.4.4.8 one), they decreased the fire rate by a bit but increased the damage by a decent amount. The rythmn is likely just different than you are used to as it shoots slower. Funnily enough venus magnum is actually autofire now, regardless of if you have the setting on.
I know it still has the same DPS, but I actually really enjoyed the previous firerate; I had used it for years and years. Changing it up so suddenly for such a poor reason just feels awful. The stat changes really should have only been applied if the setting was turned on.

I know it still has the same DPS, but I actually really enjoyed the previous firerate; I had used it for years and years. Changing it up so suddenly for such a poor reason just feels awful. The stat changes really should have only been applied if the setting was turned on.

That might not have been feasible as per how the engine works.

Anytime you say things like that, you need to look at it from a coding angle.

This is very surprising to hear, with all the changes to Melee Class and its Weapons, I figured you more than anyone would be playing Terraria like crazy.

Well, RL and other games happened. I lived with my parents, both of whom passed away last year, so I now live alone in a house I inherited which is a mess (mom was a pack and a half a day indoor smoker....), job isn't doing so well, and the whole Endwalker thing happened which took up a bit of my time, No Man's Sky is dropping huge updates every 3 months, etc.

I'm curious, what's your take on the new Phaseblade/ sabers (1.4.5 spoilers)? Did you enjoy any of the original 1.4.4 changes to the Classic/ Legacy Weapons?

The what?

I will admit that other than seeing the occasional Chippy video (some of which I coulda missed), I'm not really fully aware of what all is gonna be in .5.

EDIT: I will say though, that Phaseblades/sabers really needed something done to them as I never, ever had reason to use them as they were kinda sandwiched inbetween other weapons that did just as well or maybe better but yet were easier to obtain so I almost always skipped them.

Well, RL and other games happened. I lived with my parents, both of whom passed away last year, so I now live alone in a house I inherited which is a mess (mom was a pack and a half a day indoor smoker....), job isn't doing so well, and the whole Endwalker thing happened which took up a bit of my time, No Man's Sky is dropping huge updates every 3 months, etc.
D**n, sorry to hear that, trust that things turn around for you.

On the bright side, I hear you on the other games happening front, Starfield and Cyberpunk 2077 are gonna likely get my full attention this year! I finally got a new PC so I can play on Ultra Settings, mainly for Starfield, but it doesn't hurt that Cyberpunk will benefit from it too, I'm likely gonna miss this new Terraria update completely, if it doesn't drop this September, heh. :)

D**n, sorry to hear that, trust that things turn around for you.

It wasn't a surprise, though it was somewhat sudden, both were cancer and I had suspected it was imminent so I had time to prepare myself emotionally, and such.

On the bright side, I hear you on the other games happening front, Starfield and Cyberpunk 2077 are gonna likely get my full attention this year! I finally got a new PC so I can play on Ultra Settings, mainly for Starfield, but it doesn't hurt that Cyberpunk will benefit from it too, I'm likely gonna miss this new Terraria update completely, if it doesn't drop this September, heh.

Eh. Starfield is a standard Bethesda "Wait for the 50% off GOTY, it might be halfway playable by then" thing, and CP2077 I still haven't touched. Maybe someday I might.

I'm more interested in some of the remakes coming out... I hear they finally are doing FFT, Star Ocean 2, and a few others. Otherwise, Triple-A games are "meh" at best to me. I'd rather play some indies. Heck, Sea of Stars just came out, and I wanna try that, but the $30 pricetag? Hopefully they'll have it on say for upper teens/low 20s on the Fall or Christmas Sales.

Otherwise, XIV: Dawntrail looks sick AF, though that won't be until next fall. HOWEVER, the final chapter of Endwalker is slated to begin in early October, lol. I'll certainly be doing that. I'm eager to see how they finish the current story and lead into Dawntrail.

If you like story-heavy RPGs... dear God, the entirety of FFXIV's story is mind-blowing genius (starts off slow, but man, the payout during the last two expansions), and not enough people have seen it.

That might not have been feasible as per how the engine works.

Anytime you say things like that, you have to look at it from a coding angle.
I suppose at that point, I'd say it shouldn't have been done in the first place. It was eventually patched to essentially have the same usetime and stats as it did before, so it seems like Re-Logic agrees (It's still very slightly slower which is offputting to me, and confuses me why they didn't just revert it all the way.)

It wasn't a surprise, though it was somewhat sudden, both were cancer and I had suspected it was imminent so I had time to prepare myself emotionally, and such.
Aw man, I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope everything is going alright now, though!

If you like story-heavy RPGs... dear God, the entirety of FFXIV's story is mind-blowing genius (starts off slow, but man, the payout during the last two expansions), and not enough people have seen it.
Oh my god. I could go on and on all day about how good the story is, and nobody ever believes me because of how slow and tedious ARR is. They've done a lot of work to make ARR better but it's still slow as molasses and I totally understand people not wanting to see to Heavensward. There are so many of my friends who would have a blast with the rest of the story and who're stuck in ARR because they don't have much time to grind through it and what time they do have they'd rather play other games instead. It's so unfortunate.

Can someone tell me why we do not have Auto-Swing on all weapons!?!?
Because of a feedback.
However, I would like to see "Half-life 2 Pistol-like autofire", when guns/swords without autofire/autoswing fires/swings slower when you holding the button.

But... they already do. As of 1.4.4 there's a setting in the menu that allows all weapons to autofire.
1693420914898.png

Can't find it in Mouse and Controls, at least in tModLoader for 1.4.4.9

Back
Top Bottom