Items you think are overrated?

Meowmere. The Terra Blade is way cooler then some bouncing rainbow cat blade. Not that Meowmere isn't awesome, just not my weapon of choice in terms of badassery factor
jGvh5po.png

I would say the Terra Blade is overrated, but only because at the same time you get the Terra Blade, you can get much, much better weapons, especially post-Plantera/Golem, as a beam sword weapon, I much prefer the Influx Waver, its hits are fast and effective in crowds, and for damage and also Crowd Control, the Eye of Cthulhu is highly effective, as well as its somewhat OP at that point in the game (Apparently the only difference in damage between Terrarian and EoC is 70 points).

Another overrated (in my opinion) weapon is the Megashark, I find the Uzi is a lot more effective and available pre-Destroyer, combine it with explosive round and it could make a powerful weapon. I still use my Uzi, even to post-Plantera and during the fishron fight (Still havent won it).

Easily the Ankh shield. Barring poison resistance versus Plantera, don't see the use in it over other accessories which are more deserving to be used.

Easily the Ankh shield. Barring poison resistance versus Plantera, don't see the use in it over other accessories which are more deserving to be used.
Forgive me for cutting in, but I consider this to be quite the stretch. You forget the sheer amount of accessories that contribute to its creation. Not a single one of the functionalities of the materials used to craft the initial Ankh Charm are omitted, diminished, or otherwise affected.

The only instance where this applies is with the Obsidian Shield used in the creation of the final product. However, in this case, its functionality is boosted, as the resulting Ankh Shield bestows more defense than the Obsidian Shield used to craft it.

One cannot deny the sheer convenience and utility the Ankh Shield has to offer. Failing that, the sheer compression of the abilities of all of its materials more than serves to free up accessory slots that would otherwise be used to equip its individual constituents.

It is also true that not a single one of the materials used in the creation of the initial Ankh Charm bestows any defense points (without the aid of prefixes, of course).

It may not be by a far margin, but the Ankh Shield is one of the few tinkered accessories in-game that is more than the sum of its parts, and for that, it continues to be a must-have accessory for most of, if not, the full remainder of the game following the time it is obtained.

Last edited:
I just hate knockback, so I'll always have some shield on, and the ankh shield is the best one.

My point exactly. The only knockback resistance granting accessory that surpasses the Ankh Shield is the Paladin's Shield, but this only holds true from a defensive perspective - without the aid of defensive prefixes, the Ankh Shield grants 4 defense, whereas the Paladin's Shield bestows an astounding 6, a value matched by none prior to the introduction of the Flesh Knuckles in the 1.3 update.

Last edited:
Frostspark boots are so overrated. Who cares if you can run faster on ice? I don't even bother going to the trouble of exploring the underground snow biome anymore.

Another item I have trouble justifying is the Enchanted Sword. Not only is it exceedingly rare, the player is likely to possess far superior weapons by the time one is finally found.

When the player does manage to obtain one, the novelty of it quickly wears off. This is not attributed solely to its weakness, but when we consider the relative abundance of weapons that are both more powerful and efficient (while possessing a similar gimmick), it seems clear why most would rather make use of its alternative, the Arkhalis, which is arguably more novel. Yes, it may lack the ranged attack capability of its counterpart, but in exchange, it can absolutely devastate any enemies within its close range.

Id have to agree that the ankh shield is overrated. Why? You're sacrificing an accessory slot for a slew of debuff protection, though you'll only usually use one of those protections at a time, and to be completely honest, I don't think knockback mitigation is important enough to take the slot over a DPS boosting accessory. None of my endgame characters use the ankh shield, because I would much rather have the extra damage. Granted, I am very used to playing with knockback so im sure that helps me out when I dont have an ankh shield, but still. Knockback isnt that hard to deal with, especially when you likely have wings to fly away from the damage anyways.

Id have to agree that the ankh shield is overrated. Why? You're sacrificing an accessory slot for a slew of debuff protection, though you'll only usually use one of those protections at a time, and to be completely honest, I don't think knockback mitigation is important enough to take the slot over a DPS boosting accessory. None of my endgame characters use the ankh shield, because I would much rather have the extra damage. Granted, I am very used to playing with knockback so im sure that helps me out when I dont have an ankh shield, but still. Knockback isnt that hard to deal with, especially when you likely have wings to fly away from the damage anyways.
Once again, I'll have to disagree.

Very few would equip the Ankh Shield for the sole purpose of negating knockback; as I've mentioned previously, there exists an item that performs that task far better, in the form of the Paladin's Shield.

Correct, you are under no obligation to equip it, but this is no reason to rule its usage out completely; one could always place it in an accessory vanity slot alongside your aforementioned DPS accessory, to be exchanged at a moment's notice when required.

Forgive me for cutting in, but I consider this to be quite the stretch. You forget the sheer amount of accessories that contribute to its creation. Not a single one of the functionalities of the materials used to craft the initial Ankh Charm are omitted, diminished, or otherwise affected.

I am fully aware of that, and still stand by what I said.

Most of the debuffs that it cancels out are often ones that aren't a problem (bleeding) or something you can usually avoid (broken armour).

I also see knockback resistance as an annoyance, interestingly enough, when you're able to negate fall damage.

I am fully aware of that, and still stand by what I said.

Most of the debuffs that it cancels out are often ones that aren't a problem (bleeding) or something you can usually avoid (broken armour).

I also see knockback resistance as an annoyance, interestingly enough, when you're able to negate fall damage.
Hmm I take it you are probably more of a Ranger then?
For a melee focused character, I find knockback resistance is mandatory for high effectiveness due to the close range which the user is compared to enemies. In particular lacking Knockback resistance allows enemies to stun lock the player, where the player is unable to do anything other than take damage and die due to being unable to control the character for a brief moment after being knocked back. Yes I know there is rarely enough enemies for this around early on but during invasions this can easily lead to sure death and possibly spawn trapping of the player. In general blocking cheap deaths is something I hardly consider an overrated use for an accessory.

While it faces competition with the Paladin's shield for those that want it solely for its knockback resistance, it is available soon after hardmode should the player acquire its constituent parts(which is quite easy to do on a corruption world from experience thanks to the abundance of corruptors and corrupt slimes) Plus the addition of chilled to its blocked debuffs makes it a useful utility item for the hardmode snow biome as chilled debuff slows the players movement making it harder to dodge enemies. While in normal mode the shield is less useful as far fewer enemies inflict debuffs on the player on expert mode I find the shield provides great utility as expert mode adds debuffs to so many more enemy attacks particularly bosses and it allows the player to turn feral bite into an advantageous debuff by removing the random status conditions(most notably curse) allowing you to utilize that bonus damage.

I'm not saying it's useless, I'm saying it's overrated. People often use it during the time they have access to a wealth of better accessories such as the 3 celestial accessories (which can stack), the emblem range, wings and boots/frog leg/balloon to add to the flight height for the super evasive. Also throw in things like the cross necklace, Worm Scarf and charm of myths. Oh, and I have recently discovered how strong the Plantera's Spore accessory is.

Sure, if I manage to have all the requirements for the Ankh Shield before facing a mechanical boss, I'll use it. That rarely ever happens, as there's often one of the drops that'll not show its existence and I need not spend an excessive amount of time for such a small luxury.

I'm going to say Terra Blade and Solar Eruption.
Terra Blade is obvious, there are better options in the tier (such as Influx Waver) that are also easier to obtain.
Solar Eruption is the only true melee weapon in the post-plantera because of the spread. At long range, the projectile (?) will only hit like 2 or 3 times so the damage is very weak at long range. It's still a viable option for crowds.

yeah its low damage renders it and any other weapon with low damage high fire rate obsolete due to the increased health and defense of mobs in expert mode.
As of 1.3 The Terra Blade and the its true components as its outclassed so quickly by the Death Sickle at its time of acquisition for close-er range and in full by the influx waver which is one boss(Plantera) and a joke(Golem) away. Thus unless you get a lucky eclipse before you gain the ability to farm them it isn't worth it anymore.
Well, you see, there is such a thing called tiers. Kind of why Terra Blade was outclassed in 1.3. Plus, you seem to forget that Terra Blade is meant for shaving down waves of enemies, while Death Sickle is meant for massive DPS.

Meowmere. The Terra Blade is way cooler then some bouncing rainbow cat blade. Not that Meowmere isn't awesome, just not my weapon of choice in terms of badassery factor
jGvh5po.png
WHY?!?!?! This game isn't about a badass factor (vanity items are for this purpose), it's all about fighting bosses and finding cool naturally made structures and progressing through the game. It took some people a while to learn this since vanity items came out, so what the hell is the point of the post?
[DOUBLEPOST=1448996010,1448995982][/DOUBLEPOST]no offense

WHY?!?!?! This game isn't about a badass factor (vanity items are for this purpose), it's all about fighting bosses and finding cool naturally made structures and progressing through the game. It took some people a while to learn this since vanity items came out, so what the hell is the point of the post?
[DOUBLEPOST=1448996010,1448995982][/DOUBLEPOST]no offense

It's called an opinion.

Back
Top Bottom