Official Community Poll - Removal of Most Likes/Messages Tabs

Should the Most Messages/Most Likes tabs be removed from the Members page?

• YES - I support removal of BOTH of these tabs

Votes: 279 43.3%
  • NO - I want the tabs to remain visible as they are

Votes: 366 56.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you telling me you sort through the top members tab just to find some random guy? That's just even more time consuming than using the search bar.

No, I use the search tab on the members page. If I type anything, it generates a list of valid options. The main search bar doesn't do that.

Out of curiosity, how do you navigate to other member's profiles then? AFAIK through the Member's tab is the only way.
I type their name in the search thing, or click em off my followers list or when they Alert me with a post or when they make a new profile post and it shows up on the side

No, I use the search tab on the members page. If I type anything, it generates a list of valid options. The main search bar doesn't do that.
The search tab on the members page isn't linked to the most likes or most posts tabs, which this discussion is about removing.

To be fair, I completly forgot about them. Last time I clicked on one was probably 2 years ago.

And why aren't we having a proper discussion like 'who should be TCF president'

YES, I believe the "most liked" and "most posted" tabs should go. I would, though, very much appreciate and support a different way to list notable members of the forums other than raw numbers.

Out of curiosity, how do you navigate to other member's profiles then? AFAIK through the Member's tab is the only way.

Since we're on the topic of how we search for other members. I just always used the search bar at the top right to find members or if I'm following/being followed by a member I just use the following/followed list in my profile if I want to go to their profile.

My post below here is for in general and not specifically directed at you Kazzymodus, just wanted to make that clear.

I actually had no idea there was a search bar for within the Most Likes/Messages boards. I only found out just now when it was brought up. Even so the few times I look at the Most Messages/Likes tabs overall is just out of curiosity. I don't need them to help me get to those member's profiles since I know most of the members on the lists. I forget the Tabs even exist 98% of the time which adds another reason to my previous post (back on page 2) of why they are fine with disappearing (and would be better to disappear since the lists can subconsciously turn obtaining messages/likes into a game for who can get the "highest-score"). Even if the Likes/Message tabs are removed, the Points and Staff tab will still exist which has the same "sub-search bar" as the messages/likes which has the autocomplete which is an advantage of that search bar over the main one on the top right, so they wouldn't lose that search bar if it is the main one they use.

There are many different easier ways to get to well-known user profiles. New users will find out who the most well known/active members on these forums are soon enough without the Likes/Messages tabs. If they need help from these users they'll see through the well known user's post history that they will be a person they can go to for help. Aside from that, considering the argument of users on the lists being the "most helpful", the Likes/Messages tabs in no way indicates which users will be the "most helpful" considering there are users who have left the forums or are very inactive who are still on the Likes/Messages tabs. A new user asking those users for help will not get the help they want. The new user won't even know that some users on the boards have quit/become inactive which makes the list unreliable of knowing which users to go to. Also as others have said, considering there are many more well-known users aside from those on the list that the user can go to for help/get to know that the user can learn about just through experiencing the forum normally.

Last edited:
YES, I believe the "most liked" and "most posted" tabs should go. I would, though, very much appreciate and support a different way to list notable members of the forums other than raw numbers.

Such a system sounds great in theory....but pragmatically, it winds up being technically bothersome and still subject to the same human biases - or different ones.

My personal take is /shrug, tbh. They are not actually physically harming anyone nor are they particularly useful. My sole actual concern is technical - XF does NOT support their removal outside of the third party add-ons we have installed to do so. More add-ons = more chances for future compatibility issues should said add-ons.

Also worth noting is that this is to gather quantitative and qualitative data from the community side in making a decision. That final decision will come likely from Cenx and/or Skiphs. So don't read everything so literally. :)

Also worth noting is that this is to gather quantitative and qualitative data from the community side in making a decision. That final decision will come likely from Cenx and/or Skiphs. So don't read everything so literally. :)

Wait, hold on, are you saying that the outcome of the poll may not be definitive for reasons that are not technical in nature?

Wait, hold on, are you saying that the outcome of the poll may not be definitive for reasons that are not technical in nature?
If the boss-lady and the guy that keeps the lights on don't want it and decided to overrule us, not much that can be done. I would say the odds of that are about.5% though.

I'm still worried about viruses. I know it is unlikely, but what if that third party accidentally installs viruses into this site?
That is why we would heavily test, test, and re-test everything before making the forum public again should it be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom