Terraria: Undeluxe Edition - Out Now!

You know, after I've been through several "Old Minecraft was better" videos (With this one been the most inspiring), I ironically kinda wanted to try the old version of Terraria as well.

April Fools Satire and all, the biggest fool that got me is that it's actually available, you madlads! :D
There's a special charm in a more simplified game and not been too overwhelmed in the available content.
And it's also very interesting where Terraria's humble beginnings started, and see how much it has improved since then. (Although I'm going to miss the QoL stuff a lot, haha)

Last edited:
So.... basically Minecraft, but 2D.

several "Old Minecraft was better" videos

I cannot, and will not, ever understand the mentality behind those videos. Do people really like walking and walking and walking and walking and seeing nothing but randomly-generated terrain and trees?

That's the very reason why I find modern Minecraft so..... nearly impossible to play for more than an hour or so.

It's just so.... devoid of content. No equipment to speak of, except for like 4 sets of tools (one you'll never use because you use it twice and it breaks), 4 sets of armor and equipment (but really you only want 1 and the other is too difficult/boring to grind for) and... only 2? 3? bosses in the entire game, but you don't get much of anything for actually killing them except for that pyramid beacon thing, but if you can kill the bosses you don't need the beacon anymore, lol.

And they want LESS content? Why not just give them a flat plane and nothing else.

Oh wait, they did that, it's called Superflat world.

Next, they might as well just lock themselves in a white room and then go insane as the lack of stimulation twists their minds.

I cannot, and will not, ever understand the mentality behind those videos. Do people really like walking and walking and walking and walking and seeing nothing but randomly-generated terrain and trees?

That's the very reason why I find modern Minecraft so..... nearly impossible to play for more than an hour or so.

It's just so.... devoid of content. No equipment to speak of, except for like 4 sets of tools (one you'll never use because you use it twice and it breaks), 4 sets of armor and equipment (but really you only want 1 and the other is too difficult/boring to grind for) and... only 2? 3? bosses in the entire game, but you don't get much of anything for actually killing them except for that pyramid beacon thing, but if you can kill the bosses you don't need the beacon anymore, lol.
As explained in the video mentioned, it's not about archieving the goals set by the game, but by making the goals yourself.
He mentioned that a lot of his friends just play the game, go for the goal that is the Ender Dragon, and then leave after that is done. Ignoring the creative freedom the game otherwise could've offered.
Interestingly, it kinda makes it similair to Masahiro Sakurai's latest video of "Making 'work' games fun", where games like Cookie Clicker were mentioned, though these games like wouldn't appeal to everyone.

As explained in the video mentioned, it's not about archieving the goals set by the game, but by making the goals yourself.
He mentioned that a lot of his friends just play the game, go for the goal that is the Ender Dragon, and then leave after that is done. Ignoring the creative freedom the game otherwise could've offered.
Interestingly, it kinda makes it similair to Masahiro Sakurai's latest video of "Making 'work' games fun", where games like Cookie Clicker were mentioned, though these games like wouldn't appeal to everyone.

Maybe I'm just weird, but for me to "make my own goals", there needs to be something in the game world to actually interact with. If all there are, is blocks, blocks, and more blocks, you are surely gonna run out of goals, when you get this giant, but empty world of nothing.

Not saying there needs to be strict progression, or what-not, but older versions of Minecraft, and heck even modern Minecraft, can have you walking for literal miles without seeing anything out of the ordinary. You can build yourself a house, farm whatever... and... then what?

At least if there were more bits and bobs around the world, villages, ruined houses, maybe even an actual stone-brick dungeon here-and-there, you could at least enjoy exploring and seeing what's out there.

Maybe if there were more materials, and more stuff that could be crafted, that'd be more things to actually have goals for.

etc.

Oh nice, I am totally gonna play this, wait a damn second, I know what day it is today, is this actually real or is it an April Fool's Joke made to just mess with us? If this is real then wicked, if its a joke then haha you got me.

Oh nice, I am totally gonna play this, wait a damn second, I know what day it is today, is this actually real or is it an April Fool's Joke made to just mess with us? If this is real then wicked, if its a joke then haha you got me.
It is real. If you go into betas on steam, it is actually there.

It is real. If you go into betas on steam, it is actually there.
Ok, gonna have a look and oh my god it is, checking it out now, and whoaaaa dude this is just like when I got Terraria and played it for the first time in 2011/2012, holy :red:, man, i am tripping out over how different it looks.

Maybe I'm just weird, but for me to "make my own goals", there needs to be something in the game world to actually interact with. If all there are, is blocks, blocks, and more blocks, you are surely gonna run out of goals, when you get this giant, but empty world of nothing.
Basically, more building. Beta Minecraft was mostly about building cool things with your friends rather than about doing video game stuff like following some sort of plot progression so you can claim you've finished the game.

But really you should just look at the video. The very abridged gist is that he thinks it looks better, visually -- a more cohesive aesthetic in general with colors and textures that fit better the visuals of a low-fi blocky game; a lot less bloat and clutter which makes resource gathering both easier and more important; a more fantastical world generation with features like floating islands; etc.

Interestingly, some of these points can be applied to Terraria as well.

We have heard the Terraria Community's cries to bring back the versions of Terraria from long long ago for many years now. Frankly, we appreciate the nostalgia as much as anyone, but to say that the daunting task of trying to remove 13 years of content from the game has held us back from doing so would be a massive understatement!

That being said, we are pleased to share with you all that starting today, the Terraria Undeluxe Edition is available for fans everywhere to enjoy!

Highlights of this massive downdate include:

DIG
  • 12 Biomes to explore - who needs locations like the Ice Biome... too darned cold!
  • Be careful not to trip as you leap over single-high blocks
  • Rope? Minecarts? Blocks and platforms will suffice.
  • The Crimson was deemed too nasty and the Hallow too sweet, so they both have been kicked to the curb.
  • Demon Altars (those purple spiky things) are now immortal - resistance is futile!
  • Cacti can and will damage you - I mean they ARE covered in needles after all
  • Built-in Bunny Protection will prevent you from accidental Bunny-cide.
  • Delve deep into caves free from the threat of boulders and traps

FIGHT
  • Over 360 items/weapons/armor/etc. to find and craft
  • 45 enemies will seek to defeat you at every turn!
  • Defeat the Goblin Army to obtain the greatest mobility accessory in the game, the Rocket Boots!
  • To maintain accuracy the Scraggler was re-added then promptly removed
  • Four challenging boss encounters await
  • Face the terrifying Final Boss, Skeletron!
  • Challenge the endgame Dungeon for fortune and glory!

BUILD
  • All 8 NPCs are now clearly labeled by their role so you don't have to remember that Helen is your Nurse
  • Enjoy the streamlined experience of items without any nasty modifiers - no Goblin Tinkerer to take your hard-earned coins here!
  • Speaking of coins, you are going to need to carry them with you if you want to buy something.
  • Valid housing? Figure it out yourself.
  • Axes are now required to chop up all wood blocks - we don't want any accidents!
  • Chests contain a whopping 20 storage slots for you to stash your piles of loot!
  • Avoid accidentally using items by being sure they are in your hotbar prior to use - waste not, want not!
  • Wire? Where you are going, you won't need wires.
  • Paints? Dyes? Angles and slopes? Who needs that kind of variety in their life?

You can only imagine the sheer amount of time and effort it took to remove almost 500 enemies/critters, 21 bosses, 5100 items, 32 NPCs, 14 biomes (and all of the mini-biomes), 82 music tracks, 586 tilesets, and so on. A small price to pay for the awesomeness that is Terraria v1.06! Starting today, you can pick up Terraria Undeluxe Edition at your favorite Steam Store! We know you will join us in enthusiastically welcoming Terraria Undeluxe Edition to the Terraria family of games!
Could it be made so that using the Undeluxe version still allows you to join your friends via steam? I know it'd be inaccurate but it'd be very fun.

Basically, more building. Beta Minecraft was mostly about building cool things with your friends rather than about doing video game stuff like following some sort of plot progression so you can claim you've finished the game.

But really you should just look at the video. The very abridged gist is that he thinks it looks better, visually -- a more cohesive aesthetic in general with colors and textures that fit better the visuals of a low-fi blocky game; a lot less bloat and clutter which makes resource gathering both easier and more important; a more fantastical world generation with features like floating islands; etc.

Interestingly, some of these points can be applied to Terraria as well.
And to be fair the Alpha and Beta version has much cooler looking worldgen than modern minecraft, dont get me wrong I like modern minecraft for the updates, changes and additions, and bugfixes, but the world gen was definitely much better back then in my opinion, but Im glad we got a deeper world now.

I'm curious, will 1.0 still be available after today?
That'd be cool, Id to like to see that version mainly cause theres no Dungeon Guardians, just Skeletron Heads to fight if you go too deep pre Skeletron, and itd be wicked being able to play the other older versions that the old schoolers and older Terraria players played. Also even if it's Skeletron's Dungeon, it's MY world, and I can go where I like.

Ohhh, bak in moy dae we jumped uphill BOTH WAES. There be no newfangled walkin' up the bloks. Wot do ye think this is? Some kinda quali'y o life feature? Bah. We don' need it.

Back
Top Bottom