Weapons & Equip Bloodlust Shortsword/Amulet

Aceplante

Official Terrarian
A new HM shortsword that ramps up in damage slightly but indefinitely for each consecutive hit without taking damage. Could also be implemented as an accessory that applies this condition to the copper shortsword/all swortswords making them useful even lategame for the truly skilled players.

This would be balanced becuase of the pitiful range of shortswords, and that any damage, even a random projectile, resets it.

Perhaps it would have a hidden cap of 1000 damage?

…I’m going to stop you right there. I don’t think we should have HM shortswords. The contact bosses deal by then would render them near-useless, and most event enemies have some form of countering this. Plus, swarms tend to be easier to manage in pre-HM. This would likely have little use in HM. Maybe a pre-HM blood moon drop?

…I’m going to stop you right there. I don’t think we should have HM shortswords. The contact bosses deal by then would render them near-useless, and most event enemies have some form of countering this. Plus, swarms tend to be easier to manage in pre-HM. This would likely have little use in HM. Maybe a pre-HM blood moon drop?
An infinite damage scaling weapon like this is DEFINTIELY worthy of hardmode, amzing for the players able to make full use of them. It would, admittedly, be a very high skillcap weapon.

An infinite damage scaling weapon like this is DEFINTIELY worthy of hardmode, amzing for the players able to make full use of them. It would, admittedly, be a very high skillcap weapon.
The “skillcap” is why I suggested to put it in pre-HM. A weapon should be viable for its stage of the game for everyone. Not just more skilled players.

The “skillcap” is why I suggested to put it in pre-HM. A weapon should be viable for its stage of the game for everyone. Not just more skilled players.
well I mean youre welcome to try. You could easily use it against most basic enemies enough to get an idea of what it does.

I think it could work. Would allow for an endgame shortsword without having to add dozens for progression. How about every five levels it starts shooting a projectile similar to spears that has progressively longer range. The projectile would pierce, but only take 1/5 as many upgrade points as hiring with the actual blade would so it is at most equally effective.

I think it could work. Would allow for an endgame shortsword without having to add dozens for progression. How about every five levels it starts shooting a projectile similar to spears that has progressively longer range. The projectile would pierce, but only take 1/5 as many upgrade points as hiring with the actual blade would so it is at most equally effective.
levels? also range completely ruins the point of a shortsword. Difficult to use but very good.

levels? also range completely ruins the point of a shortsword. Difficult to use but very good.
This doesn't solve any of the problems that shortswords have. In fact, it just suffers from them more. This is a weapon that asks you to not get hit, but it's a shortsword, which makes not getting hit almost impossible. That is the problem inherent in shortswords. Terraria's combat - and more importantly, it's movement mechanics - don't make it realistic to dodge Hardmode bosses at close range. Where most close-range weapons make up for this is DPS – the Fetid Baghnakhs, the Starlight, and the Sky Dragon's Fury all have extremely high DPS in exchange for greater risk. And you'll notice that even these weapons have more range than a shortsword. What this means in practice is that lategame shortswords and other short-range weapons cannot function if you're expected to not get hit to use them properly. They're built with the explicit expectation that you will get hit, but you'll be doing enough damage that it might not matter.

This suggested weapon doesn't work with this problem, it makes it worse. Rather than rewarding taking damage (or putting yourself at risk of taking damage) with immediate impressive DPS, it asks you to put yourself in danger and then will only ever be unimpressive if you get hit. And believe me, you will get hit, because you are using a damn shortsword. Answer me this, genuinely: do you honestly believe you can fight Queen Slime with a shortsword and not ever get hit? What about Skeletron Prime? Plantera? Duke Fishron? Because if the answer is no, then this weapon will not be viable. Your idea would not be a weapon that's difficult to use, it would be a weapon that is impossible to use because it's running contrary to Terraria's design philosophy.

But, hey, maybe the TAS could use it.

I could see this being an interesting weapon, especially with some melee speed builds built to abuse the heck out of the hitbox, lol. Maybe give it a 15% penalty to weapon speed.

the idea of something that ramps up to 1000 base damage is going to be impossible to balance no matter how you choose to go about it

A shortsword is absolutely the worst weapon you could possibly put this gimmick on. As Big Sammich stated, Terraria movement and Enemy Design makes staying that close to an enemy without getting hit pretty much impossible; you'd never be able to make proper use of this feature, and because it would be so bad without the feature, nobody would ever bother using it.

This doesn't solve any of the problems that shortswords have. In fact, it just suffers from them more. This is a weapon that asks you to not get hit, but it's a shortsword, which makes not getting hit almost impossible. That is the problem inherent in shortswords. Terraria's combat - and more importantly, it's movement mechanics - don't make it realistic to dodge Hardmode bosses at close range. Where most close-range weapons make up for this is DPS – the Fetid Baghnakhs, the Starlight, and the Sky Dragon's Fury all have extremely high DPS in exchange for greater risk. And you'll notice that even these weapons have more range than a shortsword. What this means in practice is that lategame shortswords and other short-range weapons cannot function if you're expected to not get hit to use them properly. They're built with the explicit expectation that you will get hit, but you'll be doing enough damage that it might not matter.
why on earth does this have more likes than the original post.

This suggested weapon doesn't work with this problem, it makes it worse. Rather than rewarding taking damage (or putting yourself at risk of taking damage) with immediate impressive DPS, it asks you to put yourself in danger and then will only ever be unimpressive if you get hit. And believe me, you will get hit, because you are using a damn shortsword. Answer me this, genuinely: do you honestly believe you can fight Queen Slime with a shortsword and not ever get hit? What about Skeletron Prime? Plantera? Duke Fishron? Because if the answer is no, then this weapon will not be viable. Your idea would not be a weapon that's difficult to use, it would be a weapon that is impossible to use because it's running contrary to Terraria's design philosophy.
Just becuase I couldn't (becuase I admit I'm bad. I still play classic not expert) doesn't mean it's completely unusable. I imagine you could use the black belt to avoid damage? Point being, I'm sure there's a way to make it work. If you're bad an couldn't make use of it, just say that.

But also, are you all not familiar with copper shortsword vs moon lord challenges? Ive definitely seen them. This makes that more fun, and speed up a challenge that would otherwise be tedious.

Cool its like a true test of melee skill, u needa stay as close as possible
also if its an accessory would it affect the starlight? if so that would be so powerful

Back
Top Bottom