Drawings & Paintings ppower arts

The forums were a bit in a vocal state last month, and I felt affected by the forum community more than the changes made to the forums. So I took a short break to reconsider.

Makes sense. I haven't been active, either but it's mostly to focus more on schoolwork (and to question the state of the community as a whole (I would love to talk to a veteran about this, but something tells me that it isn't necessary to think too deep into)>

Aso SMO is a VERY great Mario game. And I have yet to finish it since it's release in 2017.

I've talked about Cave Story earlier around half-a-year ago:
Drawings & Paintings - ppower arts

Some time ago, in 2017, I was in a metroidvania mood and was looking to find a new one.
At that time, someone suggested me to play Cave Story, a small, humble indie game.

And since that time, I keep coming back to that one from time to time again.
Sometimes as a player, sometimes as a challenger, and sometimes as a gamedev. Just to give this game a little more appreciation.
Since I learned that a single dev has made a game of this scale, then it's something that I already find impressive at my time.
And after knowing my own limits on gamedev, then it's something I find only more impressive for that dev to pull it off.

Even though I've often made several doodles of Cave Story in the past, I've not given it a proper drawing on it's own. So here I went, giving it a little more appreciation. :)
cave story.png

In case you don't know about Cave Story:
It's basically the game where the Robot Hat originates from:
1692306113313.png

It's a story-driven Metroidvania where you explore through levels, find weapons you can switch between and level up, and fight bosses to make progress on the story.
What I think that sets it apart from other Metroidvanias is on how cute it is. Not just the sprites, but also the music, the effects, and collectable items have all kind of a cozy charm to it, and it's story goes pretty deep for an indie.
It's a game that honestly stands the test of time pretty well, (with at worst been unskippable cutscenes)

My biggest part is probably that a single dev has made it though, over the course of 5 years. And even almost 19 years later, I still hear people talking about this.
It has been a huge inspiration for me and many other gamedevs as well.

So, maybe I'll draw some more of it in the future,
but if you feel like picking it up, the game is a freeware(!) and you can download it on this site:
www.cavestory.org
(this is not sponsored :p)

But since that time, there was actually a different drawing in mind that I also wanted to make for Cave Story as well. So consider this as the sequel part. :p
Happy 20th Anniversary, Cave Story!!

Undead Core.png

Last edited:
*falls out of bed*

Aight...Montly art baaaaatchhhh

Just to be clear, last month was kind of an April Fools to keep it as short and simple as possible, I was too excited to try out Terraria Undeluxe. :p
It feels weird, but there is something charming when the game had more structure instead of the overwhelming content it has now.
Buuuut...I still think the lack of QoL makes it rather too hard to endure, especially dropping items from inventory is a huge pain. (1.1 version when? :p)

I've also discovered and recovered my old engine and game files of HertenHeld, and I've been excited to return back to the program. (More on that later ;) )

First...artworks!

...well...sorta,
Just like I said back in March, I like to keep my focus on one thing at a time per month, so I still have that sense of progress when looking back (instead of having too many choices that I end up doing nothing)

I still wanted to do something special, because as of today, it has been 2 years since I've started playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (as well as the rest of the series).
It has been a game and series that really impacted me on a personal level, and I love to talk more about it.

So I've wanted to draw something big...but I got a bit overly ambitious and forgot how much detail the Xenoblade Chronicles series has.
I still hope to finish it someday though

1714590420226.png

While still in the Age of Empires 4 addiction, I had expanded my Delhi Proxy Camp Project once again, something that went from a meme to a somewhat decent strategy to try.
Proxy camp project v3.png
Regardless though...I think I've seen enough of the game now. Playing ranked has devolved in playing optimal every single game to progress, and that can eventually get monotonous, and drain the fun out of it. The Tournament I participated in has also come to an end, so I think I'll give it a rest for at least this month.

--- Gamedev ---

Another anniversary, and a double one at that!
Shepherd has turned 2 years old, and Space Siblings has been 8 years since release!
Coincidentally, they were both released at the same day. And I didn't knew about that before. :p
They have a few similairities that they are both non-platformer games with a focus on a short experience.
Even if they were small, I still fondly remember the time working on them,
with Space Siblings been the first project I released, and Shepherd been the first project I did with an unique concept.
So even if not big, I still wanted to do a little crossover with them. :)
GN SpaceSiblings And Shepherd.png

Alright, so back to HertenHeld.

Earlier this month, pretty much right after finishing the Cave Story art, I was reminded back of HertenHeld and the update that it has never gotten.
So, long story short, I've managed to find an older engine, AND discovered a back-up of HertenHeld right after my last addition to the game.
So the whole engine is now recoverable with minimum losses! :D

As excited as I was, I've managed to fix the remaining changes needed for the smaller update, but while at it, I also think it could use some new content as well.
So like a little kid, I've went back to experimenting with new ideas last month.

Starting off:
There's a new extra mode planned where you get to play as Nageru: The throwing ninja!
nageru_animation.gif

Nageru likes to play with her throwing essense, and wouldn't mind to throw anything at her enemies.
Throwing in some references to her Throwable playthrough, while keeping the idea focussed on "She can throw anything".
throwing at wolf.gif

"Random Bull:red:, Go!"

The plan with Nageru is that she's going to explore the Dark Forest, a deeper part of the forest that Samantha used to travel.
New enemies will appear, more obstacles will hinder her, and larger bosses may oppose her path:
spiders buzz and slimes.gif
1714595075550.png

(Everything in the screenshots are Alpha and are not final)
(And no, Alpha is not a screenshot)

Alpha aww.png

And that's all for now, I'm excited to continue on this project again. :)
And yet at the same time, I'm also looking forward for finally playing Paper Mario: TTYD too this upcoming month, think that's going to be busy already.
Looking forward to it!

Until next month again!

Back
Top Bottom