Weapons & Equip ⦉ Mercury Boots ⦊

Zyraphim

The Destroyer

Before we get into it, there are changes that should first be made to the components of the Mercury Boots.

Dunerider's effect should work on sandstone bricks, slabs, and the rest of the blocks made of sand.

As it stands, Flurry Boots are nothing more than a reskin of Hermes. They should receive the same treatment as Dunerider Boots and give a speed boost on snow, ice, and their bricks.

The fact Sailfish Boots are used in Amphibian Boots sets them slightly apart from Flurry, but they are still essentially a Hermes reskin. They should be reworked to give a speed boost when running on the surface of liquids (while using Water Walking Potions / Boots; Sailfish wouldn't grant water walking per se) and negate the horizontal slowness when submerged similarly to the Trident.

With that out the way, we can start the main suggestion.

⟜⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⊸ 🛆 ⟜⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⊸

mercury-boots.png

Mercury Boots

'Gotta go fast!'

Lightning Boots + Dunerider Boots + Flurry Boots + Sailfish Boots @ Tinkerer's Workshop

The Mercury Boots combine the effects of all their components to become the ultimate speed accessory. They increase the player's base speed to 38 mph on regular blocks and to 54 mph on all sand blocks, snow / ice blocks, and liquids, as well as negate the slowness in water. While Amphibian Boots sacrifice some horizontal speed for vertical movement, Mercury Boots sacrifice the flight of the Lightning Boots for extra horizontal speed.

⟜⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⊸ 🛆 ⟜⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⊸

The Mercury Boots combine the effects of all their components to become the ultimate speed accessory. They increase the player's base speed to 38 mph on regular blocks and to 54 mph on all sand blocks, snow / ice blocks, and liquids, as well as negate the slowness in water. While Amphibian Boots sacrifice some horizontal speed for vertical movement, Mercury Boots sacrifice the flight of the Lightning Boots for extra horizontal speed.
It's strange that this exists as a sidegrade disconnected from Terraspark, it creates a notable redundancy between the two. The obvious question then becomes "why make a new item altogether instead of just adding things to terraspark"

Personally, i think having "optimal blocks and platforms" for arenas is lame, and that's exactly what this item would encourage by boosting your speed so damn much on the specific blocks. Another thing is that 54 mph is way too much, right now dunerider is kept in check because no one really bothers making arenas specifically with sand blocks. But if the pool of blocks becomes much wider and includes platforms...

I think what you could do is nerf the speed increase from running in the selected blocks to 38 mph, then the upgrade brings things full circle by just giving you 38 mph all the time. That'd be a nice alternative to Amphibian Boots.

It's strange that this exists as a sidegrade disconnected from Terraspark, it creates a notable redundancy between the two. The obvious question then becomes "why make a new item altogether instead of just adding things to terraspark"

That's the point. They're an alternative to Terraspark. Amphibians are the best for vertical movement, Terrasparks are the best for regular use, and Mercuries are the best for horizontal movement. You have to give up one for the other. Also, Red thinks Terrasparks are good enough as they are:

1708488363718.png

Personally, i think having "optimal blocks and platforms" for arenas is lame, and that's exactly what this item would encourage by boosting your speed so damn much on the specific blocks.

Asphalt already exists. If you have a problem with that, take it up with Re-Logic, not me.

Another thing is that 54 mph is way too much

54 mph is the speed players reach when running on sand with Duneriders:

1708489298134.png

right now dunerider is kept in check because no one really bothers making arenas specifically with sand blocks. But if the pool of blocks becomes much wider and includes platforms...

If the speed boost applied to all blocks, then I'd agree that it would be far too powerful. But the "much wider" pool of blocks is still so limited that it would change nothing about the game's balance. What difference would it make if I make the floor of my arena out of snow bricks instead of sand? I'd still have to make the conscious decision to make my arena out of those specific blocks. And I never said that the speed would apply to platforms. Don't put words in my mouth.

I think what you could do is nerf the speed increase from running in the selected blocks to 38 mph, then the upgrade brings things full circle by just giving you 38 mph all the time. That'd be a nice alternative to Amphibian Boots.

Then they wouldn't be used at all. An extra 4 mph isn't worth giving up my vertical manoeuvrability. They'd be worse than the Lightning Boots they're crafted from.

It's almost always better to have sidegrades in a game that's supposed to be replayable, than having a 1 ultimate upgrade.

It's going to be more of a sidegrade to amphibian boots than Terraspark, this boots are more boss fight focused similar to a nicer version of dunerider or pre-hardmode asphalt.

Last edited:
That's the point. They're an alternative to Terraspark. Amphibians are the best for vertical movement, Terrasparks are the best for regular use, and Mercuries are the best for horizontal movement. You have to give up one for the other. Also, Red thinks Terrasparks are good enough as they are:

View attachment 459842
I know multiple people who disagree with Red that Terraspark Boots are OP. They're harder to get than Amphibian Boots and walking on liquids isn't quite good enough to compensate.
Asphalt already exists. If you have a problem with that, take it up with Re-Logic, not me.
This is not a valid defense. The fact that a problem already exists doesn't make it OK to make the problem worse.
If the speed boost applied to all blocks, then I'd agree that it would be far too powerful. But the "much wider" pool of blocks is still so limited that it would change nothing about the game's balance. What difference would it make if I make the floor of my arena out of snow bricks instead of sand? I'd still have to make the conscious decision to make my arena out of those specific blocks. And I never said that the speed would apply to platforms. Don't put words in my mouth.
The point is not about how powerful it is. It's about how it makes a certain selection of blocks objectively better than others for arena design, and how boring that is.

View attachment 459842

54 mph is the speed players reach when running on sand with Duneriders:

View attachment 459846

Then they wouldn't be used at all. An extra 4 mph isn't worth giving up my vertical manoeuvrability. They'd be worse than the Lightning Boots they're crafted from.
My point is that id rather just buff Terraspark boots to 38 mph, than to make a whole new item just to have a pair of boots that run at 38 mph, because you are too afraid terraspark will become too good

Regardless of what you think of Lava Waders undeground, they have no use in boss battles. Terraspark boots are the same as Lightning Boots against bosses. Speaking of Lava Waders, Obsidian Skin potions and Water Walking potions exist. They last a damn long time and they are common loot from crates, chests and pots. Meaning, everything Lava Waders do can be done better by items better and easier to get than Lava Waders.

As for what devs say... Terraria has hundreds of items and constant balancing updates, to think any one person has absolute opinions over everything is a wrong move, especially when devs themselves have had misteps in balance updates that they had to revert or fall back on in hotfixes. In this case, i simply don't agree with Red saying Terraspark Boots are op, and i know i'm not alone in thinking this.

I know multiple people who disagree with Red that Terraspark Boots are OP. They're harder to get than Amphibian Boots and walking on liquids isn't quite good enough to compensate.
because you are too afraid terraspark will become too good

Regardless of what you think of Lava Waders undeground, they have no use in boss battles. Terraspark boots are the same as Lightning Boots against bosses. Speaking of Lava Waders, Obsidian Skin potions and Water Walking potions exist. They last a damn long time and they are common loot from crates, chests and pots. Meaning, everything Lava Waders do can be done better by items better and easier to get than Lava Waders.

As for what devs say... Terraria has hundreds of items and constant balancing updates, to think any one person has absolute opinions over everything is a wrong move, especially when devs themselves have had misteps in balance updates that they had to revert or fall back on in hotfixes. In this case, i simply don't agree with Red saying Terraspark Boots are op, and i know i'm not alone in thinking this.

I created an argument for why it shouldn't be added to Terrasparks based on what's already in the game and the opinions of the developers. In all honesty, I don't care whether Terrasparks get buffed or not. If they do, cool; if they don't, fine by me. Also, strawman. I never said I was "too afraid terraspark will become too good". Don't twist my words.

My point is that id rather just buff Terraspark boots to 38 mph, than to make a whole new item just to have a pair of boots that run at 38 mph

The boost on sand, snow / ice, and liquids are the focus of Mercury Boots, not the additional speed. The extra 4 mph is just a bonus on top of those features.

This is not a valid defense. The fact that a problem already exists doesn't make it OK to make the problem worse.
The point is not about how powerful it is. It's about how it makes a certain selection of blocks objectively better than others for arena design, and how boring that is.

Your issue lies with how Re-Logic themselves decided to handle the game. My suggestion aligns with the decisions they've already made and would fit in Terraria. If Dunerider Boots didn't already exist, I would've never suggested this. So, again I say take it up with Re-Logic, not me.

The last time I saw Red say that Terraspark Boots are OP were almost 4 years ago, shortly after the release of 1.4 as your screenshot shows. His opinions about them could have changed over the years. Also Red has liked my idea on Twitter about buffing Terraspark Boots 2 times now recently so it might not be impossible that Terraspark Boots are getting buffed this update. The buff I suggested was increasing speed to 37.5 mph speed. I would also really like it if Terraspark Boots got full immunity to lava and Obsidian Rose be removed from the recipe or you could make it so every Lava Charm + Obsidian Rose tinker gets full lava immunity (including Terraspark) or you could rework the Obsidian Rose and make it useful as its own accessory.

If Mercury Boots were to be implemented to the game there would be no reason at all to use Terraspark Boots over them. Would be better and easier to just buff Terraspark Boots instead of adding another pair of boots that are simply better.

This is what Terraspark Boots have:
- 34.5 mph speed.
- 1.6 seconds of Rocket Boot flight or 0.7 seconds of extra wing flight time.
- Increased acceleration on Ice Blocks and Thin Ice doesn't break when you fall on it. (Acceleration increase only applies to Ice Blocks and not Ice Platforms).
- 8% increased movement speed.
- Ability to walk on liquids.
- Immunity to fire blocks.
- 7 seconds of immunity to lava.
- Lava deals 35 damage and halves the debuff time of On Fire!. On Remix seeds lava deals 155 damage instead of 200 when an Obsidian Rose accessory is equipped.

4.5 extra mph speed over base running boots/Amphibian doesn't make much of a difference, you need a little bit more speed for it to matter in my experience. 0.7 seconds of extra wing flight time also isn't very useful compared to Amphibian's +32% jump speed or Mercury Boots 38 mph speed. 38 mph speed does help you dodge some attacks in combat situations (I've made a mod that does this and I've tested it in-game). Increased acceleration on Ice Blocks isn't that useful, you spend a lot of time during boss fights on Platforms or in the air and most people don't put Ice Blocks in their arenas anyway, especially when the only benefit you get from the Ice Blocks is increased acceleration and not 54 mph speed. 8% increased movement speed is literally useless. Ability to walk on liquids is something that Water Walking Potions accomplish and you never really need it, it's just nice to have. Water Walking Potions can be crafted easily if you just make a herb farm and farm Sharks using a Shark Statue. Immunity to fire blocks and immunity to lava is something that Obsidian Skin Potions give you along with immunity to On Fire!, the potion is very easy to make and is straight up better than Terraspark. You only need a few hundred potions for a full playthrough.

This is what your Mercury Boots would have:
- 38 mph speed.
- 54 mph speed on all Snow, Sand, Ice Blocks and Liquids.
- Negate slowness in water.

I have to say, Mercury Boots are better than Terraspark Boots when used with wings because the only relevant effect then is the running speed. When not used with wings the Rocket Boot flight kind of matters as you get to use all of it instead of just 0.7 seconds. However I do think that the 38 mph speed and 54 mph speed on Snow, Sand, Ice Blocks and liquids is still better than the Rocket Boot flight. For some bosses you could just run in one direction on Snow, Sand, Ice Blocks or Liquids while shooting at the boss and dodge a large part of the attacks. The 38/54 mph speed is also really helpful for getting around the world a bit faster. That's why I think that Mercury Boots would just overpower Terraspark Boots and it would be better to just buff the Terraspark Boots to 38 mph speed and full lava immunity.

It's pointless to talk so much about Terraspark boots this is just a nice upgrade to the dunerider boots, doesn't really make much sense to compare it with Terraspark when the contender is Amphibian boots.

Terraspark boots doesn't reward enough for your effort for a reason, they don't want to encourage people to go through all that grind, if you want Terraspark you'll have to explore biomes and/or fish for crates, if you don't find water walking boots in a ocean, that's hell of a grind.

Terraprisma is worse than Stardust dragon(against ML at least) for the same reason, they don't want to encourage less skilled player to no-hit Empress. Master mode doesn't reward with new items and stuff as much as expert for the same reason, you only get an achievement for purifying a world for the same reason

If a reward is too good then too many people go for it, so they nerf/change that reward or make it even grindier/painful to use/obtain like star cannon, sandgun (and dunerider too kind of)

They want to keep Terraspark as a "a really good item to have" instead of making it mandatory for an optimal build and it does just that, lava charm and liquid walking can make your life so much convenient with shimmer, honey and specially lava because nobody bothers with crafting water walking/obsidian potions to keep yourself buffed constantly when traveling underground. it also has rocket flight which is a plus when you're in pre-hardmode.

The way I see it, it's pretty simple. Terraspark Boots is a valuable accessory for general use that also has a very difficult crafting tree, like the Shellphone and Ankh Shield.
None of these items are going to help you too much in optimized builds, but they make exploration and carrying out other common activities much easier while also being very compact, making them (in my opinion) worth trying to get.

Honestly, and I assume this is probably controversial, I think a working buff to the Terraspark Boots would be to be able to combine them with the Ankh Shield, granting status immunities and knockback immunity. At the very least, maybe the bonus 4 defense could be cut out.

The last time I saw Red say that Terraspark Boots are OP were almost 4 years ago, shortly after the release of 1.4 as your screenshot shows. His opinions about them could have changed over the years. Also Red has liked my idea on Twitter about buffing Terraspark Boots 2 times now recently so it might not be impossible that Terraspark Boots are getting buffed this update. The buff I suggested was increasing speed to 37.5 mph speed. I would also really like it if Terraspark Boots got full immunity to lava and Obsidian Rose be removed from the recipe or you could make it so every Lava Charm + Obsidian Rose tinker gets full lava immunity (including Terraspark) or you could rework the Obsidian Rose and make it useful as its own accessory.

If Mercury Boots were to be implemented to the game there would be no reason at all to use Terraspark Boots over them. Would be better and easier to just buff Terraspark Boots instead of adding another pair of boots that are simply better.

This is what Terraspark Boots have:
- 34.5 mph speed.
- 1.6 seconds of Rocket Boot flight or 0.7 seconds of extra wing flight time.
- Increased acceleration on Ice Blocks and Thin Ice doesn't break when you fall on it. (Acceleration increase only applies to Ice Blocks and not Ice Platforms).
- 8% increased movement speed.
- Ability to walk on liquids.
- Immunity to fire blocks.
- 7 seconds of immunity to lava.
- Lava deals 35 damage and halves the debuff time of On Fire!. On Remix seeds lava deals 155 damage instead of 200 when an Obsidian Rose accessory is equipped.

4.5 extra mph speed over base running boots/Amphibian doesn't make much of a difference, you need a little bit more speed for it to matter in my experience. 0.7 seconds of extra wing flight time also isn't very useful compared to Amphibian's +32% jump speed or Mercury Boots 38 mph speed. 38 mph speed does help you dodge some attacks in combat situations (I've made a mod that does this and I've tested it in-game). Increased acceleration on Ice Blocks isn't that useful, you spend a lot of time during boss fights on Platforms or in the air and most people don't put Ice Blocks in their arenas anyway, especially when the only benefit you get from the Ice Blocks is increased acceleration and not 54 mph speed. 8% increased movement speed is literally useless. Ability to walk on liquids is something that Water Walking Potions accomplish and you never really need it, it's just nice to have. Water Walking Potions can be crafted easily if you just make a herb farm and farm Sharks using a Shark Statue. Immunity to fire blocks and immunity to lava is something that Obsidian Skin Potions give you along with immunity to On Fire!, the potion is very easy to make and is straight up better than Terraspark. You only need a few hundred potions for a full playthrough.

This is what your Mercury Boots would have:
- 38 mph speed.
- 54 mph speed on all Snow, Sand, Ice Blocks and Liquids.
- Negate slowness in water.

I have to say, Mercury Boots are better than Terraspark Boots when used with wings because the only relevant effect then is the running speed. When not used with wings the Rocket Boot flight kind of matters as you get to use all of it instead of just 0.7 seconds. However I do think that the 38 mph speed and 54 mph speed on Snow, Sand, Ice Blocks and liquids is still better than the Rocket Boot flight. For some bosses you could just run in one direction on Snow, Sand, Ice Blocks or Liquids while shooting at the boss and dodge a large part of the attacks. The 38/54 mph speed is also really helpful for getting around the world a bit faster. That's why I think that Mercury Boots would just overpower Terraspark Boots and it would be better to just buff the Terraspark Boots to 38 mph speed and full lava immunity.

Terrasparks aren't meant for combat or speed. It's an unfair comparison. Like MegaByte, Orchamut, and myself have pointed out, Terraspark Boots are an all-around accessory for regular use that gets rid of a bunch of tiny inconveniences. Though, I don't agree with the sentiment that they "don't reward your effort enough" because they do exactly what's said on the tin. They combine the effects of all of their components. Nothing more, nothing less. Of course they're worse for bosses. That isn't their purpose. I want to reiterate that I don't care if Terrasparks get buffed or not, only point out how unfair it is to compare the two which are fundamentally different.

Terrasparks aren't meant for combat or speed. It's an unfair comparison. Like MegaByte, Orchamut, and myself have pointed out, Terraspark Boots are an all-around accessory for regular use that gets rid of a bunch of tiny inconveniences. Though, I don't agree with the sentiment that they "don't reward your effort enough" because they do exactly what's said on the tin. They combine the effects of all of their components. Nothing more, nothing less. Of course they're worse for bosses. That isn't their purpose. I want to reiterate that I don't care if Terrasparks get buffed or not, only point out how unfair it is to compare the two which are fundamentally different.
The convenient effects of Terraspark Boots can be replaced by 2 easy-to-get potions. Just make a herb farm and mine a few hundred Obsidian for permanent Obsidian Skin that lasts the rest of your playthrough. Obsidian Skin is straight up better than Terraspark Boots as they have much longer duration and give On Fire! immunity. Water Walking Potions are a little bit harder to get but still very easy if you manage to find a Shark Statue. Pressing the Quickbuff key isn't very hard either. The Ice Skates effects can't be replaced by potions, although how often do you find the Ice Skates effects to be useful?

I definitely would like to see this in the game. It would be great to have some extra horizontal speed in place of flight.

The convenient effects of Terraspark Boots can be replaced by 2 easy-to-get potions. Just make a herb farm and mine a few hundred Obsidian for permanent Obsidian Skin that lasts the rest of your playthrough. Obsidian Skin is straight up better than Terraspark Boots as they have much longer duration and give On Fire! immunity. Water Walking Potions are a little bit harder to get but still very easy if you manage to find a Shark Statue. Pressing the Quickbuff key isn't very hard either. The Ice Skates effects can't be replaced by potions, although how often do you find the Ice Skates effects to be useful?

What are you even arguing about? I've already made it clear multiple times that I don't care whether Terrasparks are considered good or garbage. Why are you still trying to convince me of something I never had opinions about? What you said doesn't relate to my point that Terraspark Boots and Mercury Boots serve fundamentally different purposes.

@Stellar Mastodon 267 Quicksilver Boots sounds great! :0

Since you know, Quick, Fast, Speed XD

I named it after the god Mercury as opposed to Hermes but hey that's another potential meaning

Back
Top Bottom