Official 1.3 Launch Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skeletron (and probably Skeletron Prime too) has enhanced defense in Expert Mode until you destroy his arms. Then his defense drops down to what you're used to it being at. The entire idea of Expert Mode is that you need to mix it up from your old strategies.

That was the key here. Thank you for pointing that out. Basically there was no reason to go for his hands before, now you kinda have to. Too bad you have no visual cue on that. If we are not supposed to attack his head first, why not give it a shield to begin with? That would have made this a little less frustrating for me.

Until I actually fight Expert Skeletron, I won't be able to tell how much of a difficulty wall there is. But what I do know is that to a lot of people, Bosses seem to be impossible until they try over and over again with different setups until they get something that works.

Unlike Hardmode, Expert Mods is indeed called "Expert Mode" for a reason. You can't expect to get through the whole thing without any hitches because it was designed to give proclaimed "Experts" an actual run for their money. It was made to stump the really good players and push them to their limits. Unless the only way to beat a boss is with cheap exploits and cheesing, there isn't really a problem.

So, to begin with, you've given me "advice" without having even tried it yourself. Nicely done...

But when it comes to cheesing, what is up with that final lunar event boss? How's anyone supposed to beat that guy without some manner of vampiric health gain aside of potions? I am not seeing that guy getting killed by a soloing ranger any time soon, because of his seemingly unavoidable beam, or am I missing something here?

also, in the underground desert biome hardened fossils do NOT spawn, I haven't gotten I single one on two worlds! is this a bug or something?
Okay, I figured it out. You know those big deposits of regular Desert Fossil you find everywhere? Put that in an Extractinator. Sturdy Fossil will sometimes come out of it, and that's what you use to craft Fossil equipment.

EXPERT MODE FEEDBACK

(As soon as the Lunar Update dropped I created a fresh melee-orientated character for Expert Mode solely because it mentioned Expert-only content and have not played normal difficulty. Therefore I'm unaware which content mentioned below, if any, is Expert-only.)

I despise Expert Mode, because it despises me - it's a great big ":red: you" to melee characters in particular.

First of all, perhaps I'm mistaken about the premise; is Expert Mode NOT intended to be played with a fresh character? Because it's impossible to do so.

I have yet to reach Hardmode in it, but so far, it isn't "expert" mode, it's bull:red: mode. The only significant difference, unless some of the new enemies I am seeing are Expert-exclusive, is that enemies spawn in (even) greater numbers and don't take any damage from anything. I'm being ripped apart by surface corruption in two to three hits with silver armor (which I've never worn in Terraria before because I never needed it, skipping from copper or iron to corruption/necro/jungle) and that's just unacceptable.

In addition, my silver set is completely unable to deal any damage to the Eye of Cthulhu at all. The Eye of Cthulhu, by the way, does one thing different in Expert Mode: it constantly shoots little eyeballs at you that don't drop any hearts. Since you can't damage it and can't avoid constantly being damaged by it, the fight is completely impossible for contemporary characters, especially melee. Hell, my melee character has been forced to go ranged because MELEE IS GODDAMN USELESS IN EXPERT MODE.

I don't know if Medusa is Expert-exclusive but it needs a nerf bad. It spawns extremely commonly around the cavern layer and so long as it has line of sight can instantly petrify a character from about two screens away, meaning she can petrify you without any prior indication she's there. There's no projectile or anything. If the character is say, in midair, then they will fall down and take fall damage (or fall in lava or something) and likely die instantly. If they don't, then the 20+ enemies on the screen will just bump into them until they do while they are unable to do anything for like five seconds, other than maybe quaff a single potion.

Hoplite is also ridiculously overpowered. Its spear has no gravity, travels very quickly, and kills in one or two hits even with 200+ HP and silver armor. By the way it usually spawns in the same places as Medusa, meaning you can't dodge it because you get petrified the instant Medusa can see you.

Finally, invasions. They can trigger automatically. They don't go away until you clear them. They follow you around the map. And in Bull:red: Mode, you will continuously die every two seconds for about an hour until you clear it out (mostly due to archers.) This is simply not good game design.

So, the most problematic enemies so far in Expert Mode are Medusa, Hoplite, and Goblin Archer. Notice a pattern? Those are all cheapass ranged attackers that make melee characters useless.

The insinuation that "new strategy" is required is simply a false statement and an excuse. "New strategy" isn't a logical response to the exact same enemy except invincible. Hell, every single enemy and boss in Terraria always has and still does require exactly the same strategy: dodge their attacks while you click on or around them with your mouse over and over. The only proper "new strategy" is not to play Expert Mode.

And so I'll be honest: my suggestion is to either completely remove the unplayable beta-esque mess that is Expert Mode, or at least incorporate all of its exclusive items et al. into the normal difficulty so that players aren't forced to play what's unfinished, unfair, and unfun just to not miss out.

EDIT: An earlier post points out that in Expert Mode, Skeletron has increased defense until his arms are destroyed. I'd like to take this time to point out that this is completely pointless; I always thought you were supposed to destroy his arms first, you know so that he would stop hitting you with them, so there is no change in strategy for me. Also, the player character is not given any feasible way of knowing this other than by already knowing to do it and subsequently seeing the defense change.

Last edited:
First of all, perhaps I'm mistaken about the premise; is Expert Mode NOT intended to be played with a fresh character? Because it's impossible to do so.
Yes, with a fresh character, and yes Expert Mode is very possible. Many people have been doing it, and although it is difficult even for experienced players, it can absolutely be done. I'm sorry, but based on your feedback, you're the first person to pose criticisms and concerns that sound like they come from someone who sounds minimally prepared for Expert Mode because of stubbornness and an ineptitude at closing distances as a Melee character.
The insinuation that "new strategy" is required is simply a false statement and an excuse
No it's not. You're playing in Expert freaking Mode. You can't just waddle in and do whatever the heck you want and magically poof your way through the game. Enemies have new AI. Bosses have new AI. You can't do the same exact thing you always do because the enemies aren't. If you can't adapt, you're as good as dead, and it sounds a lot like that you've been dead quite a lot. If Melee isn't working for you, then try a style that works better, but I have beaten bosses with Melee weapons, and it is completely doable.
And so I'll be honest: my suggestion is to either completely remove the unplayable beta-esque mess that is Expert Mode,
Absolutely not.
or at least incorporate all of its exclusive items et al. into the normal difficulty so that players aren't forced to play what's unfinished, unfair, and unfun just to not miss out.
That would negate form the "high risk high reward" aspect of Expert Mode, which is exactly as Redigit wants it to be. That's not going to change.

I'm sorry, but based on your feedback, you're the first person to pose criticisms and concerns that sound like they come from someone who sounds minimally prepared for Expert Mode because of stubbornness and an ineptitude at closing distances as a Melee character.
Oh, well, if you're going to insult me:

Skill isn't the requirement in Expert Mode; big numbers are. It's a horrendous and badly designed feature, and just because some of you are soulless enough to put in the grind and min-maxing necessary to out-DPS its boring and bland gameplay doesn't change that.

Oh please. Don't patronize me.

Skill isn't the requirement in Expert Mode; big numbers are. It's a horrendous and badly designed feature, and just because some of you are soulless enough to put in the grind and min-maxing necessary to out-DPS its boring and bland gameplay doesn't change that.
We're not grinding.

We're not min-maxing.

We just know how to play the game and not die, and if you won't believe that then just quit Expert Mode and leave it to the people who can handle it.

If you wanted a casual mode, you shouldn't have selected Expert, and that's the extent of the situation.

EXPERT MODE FEEDBACK

(As soon as the Lunar Update dropped I created a fresh melee-orientated character for Expert Mode solely because it mentioned Expert-only content and have not played normal difficulty. Therefore I'm unaware which content mentioned below, if any, is Expert-only.)

I despise Expert Mode, because it despises me - it's a great big ":red: you" to melee characters in particular.

I have yet to reach Hardmode in it, but so far, it isn't "expert" mode, it's bull:red: mode. The only significant difference, unless some of the new enemies I am seeing are Expert-exclusive, is that enemies spawn in (even) greater numbers and don't take any damage from anything. I'm being ripped apart by surface corruption in two to three hits with silver armor (which I've never worn in Terraria before because I never needed it, skipping from copper or iron to corruption/necro/jungle) and that's just unacceptable.

In addition, my silver set is completely unable to deal any damage to the Eye of Cthulhu at all. The Eye of Cthulhu, by the way, does one thing different in Expert Mode: it constantly shoots little eyeballs at you that don't drop any hearts. Since you can't damage it and can't avoid constantly being damaged by it, the fight is completely impossible for contemporary characters, especially melee. Hell, my melee character has been forced to go ranged because MELEE IS GODDAMN USELESS IN EXPERT MODE.

I don't know if Medusa is Expert-exclusive but it needs a nerf bad. It spawns extremely commonly around the cavern layer and so long as it has line of sight can instantly petrify a character from about two screens away, meaning she can petrify you without any prior indication she's there. There's no projectile or anything. If the character is say, in midair, then they will fall down and take fall damage (or fall in lava or something) and likely die instantly. If they don't, then the 20+ enemies on the screen will just bump into them until they do while they are unable to do anything for like five seconds, other than maybe quaff a single potion.

Hoplite is also ridiculously overpowered. Its spear has no gravity, travels very quickly, and kills in one or two hits even with 200+ HP and silver armor. By the way it usually spawns in the same places as Medusa, meaning you can't dodge it because you get petrified the instant Medusa can see you.

Finally, invasions. They can trigger automatically. They don't go away until you clear them. They follow you around the map. And in Bull:red: Mode, you will continuously die every two seconds for about an hour until you clear it out (mostly due to archers.) This is simply not good game design.

So, the most problematic enemies so far in Expert Mode are Medusa, Hoplite, and Goblin Archer. Notice a pattern? Those are all cheapass ranged attackers that make melee characters useless.

The insinuation that "new strategy" is required is simply a false statement and an excuse. "New strategy" isn't a logical response to the exact same enemy except invincible. Hell, every single enemy and boss in Terraria always has and still does require exactly the same strategy: dodge their attacks while you click on or around them with your mouse over and over. The only proper "new strategy" is not to play Expert Mode.

And so I'll be honest: my suggestion is to either completely remove the unplayable beta-esque mess that is Expert Mode, or at least incorporate all of its exclusive items et al. into the normal difficulty so that players aren't forced to play what's unfinished, unfair, and unfun just to not miss out.

EDIT: An earlier post points out that in Expert Mode, Skeletron has increased defense until his arms are destroyed. I'd like to take this time to point out that this is completely pointless; I always thought you were supposed to destroy his arms first, you know so that he would stop hitting you with them, so there is no change in strategy for me. Also, the player character is not given any feasible way of knowing this other than by already knowing to do it and subsequently seeing the defense change.
I understand your frustration. What upsets me the most is how a large amount of weapons are of no use in expert mode. As it's still a new addition I'm hoping changes will be made over time to make it more fair.

I used the Wooden Yoyo for awhile. you can upgrade it with White String for a longer Yoyo. It'll kill enemies quite fast and has decent range. Yoyos are like shorter ranged magic missiles, you can use them to go around corners and taptap enemies to death.

Once I found a Gravitation Potion, I went up to the skies and found a Starfury. This is probably one of the best weapons for expert pre-hardmode. IIRC its star does double damage, so with each swing you can potentially do about 75 damage, without crit.

You'll likely need to make an arena for each boss, with campfire and heart lantern, with sunflowers too, as they now slightly increase your movement speed. Try using Regeneration, Ironskin, and a Well Fed item when fighting bosses.

It took me a couple tries, but Starfury works well on Eye of Cthulhu. I'm on a Crimson world, but for Eater of Worlds I'm guessing you could simply build a platform about 30 blocks up from the surface and rain grenades down on it. Even if you can't win, you can still craft shadow equipment with enough defeated segments. Make a Nightmare Pickaxe.

I'm currently up against Skeletron. I went down to the Underworld for a Molten Fury and just now lost to Skele with about a thousand health left. But I just remembered I have Archery Potions, which I will try next, and hopefully should be able to win. I'm using Frostburn Arrows, as they're stronger than Flaming Arrows and also Skeletron is immune to On Fire!, but not Frostburn.

I do wish more options were available but sadly, at least for now, your weapon selection is extremely limited. You won't be able to stay melee only until melee starts becoming not melee, like Terra Blade.

Personal attack - do not insult other people.
We're not grinding.

We're not min-maxing.

We just know how to play the game and not die, and if you won't believe that then just quit Expert Mode and leave it to the people who can handle it.

If you wanted a casual mode, you shouldn't have selected Expert, and that's the extent of the situation.
Haha, thanks for reminding me why I stopped signing onto Terraria's forums: because the community is full of pretentious, elitist, conceited, insulting, condescending :red:s like you.

Explains why the game isn't more popular than it is, though.

EXPERT MODE FEEDBACK
So, I'm having a ton of fun, and I'm so grateful to Re-Logic for all the work they put in. Just wanted to get that out there before I start complaining.

I'm playing mainly Expert Mode, and while it's nice to have a challenge, and the two Treasure Bag's I've gotten so far are super cool... how the hell do I beat the bosses?!? I've gotten decked out in full meteorite gear, I have 400 HP, full Mana, Light's Bane, the Minishark, Vilethorn, and other end-easymode equipment, and the bosses are wiping the floor with me. King Slime was easy, and I barely managed to beat EoC by healing at the Nurse several times, but EoC was terrifying, as was Eater of Worlds (seriously, that Vile Spit does like 60 damage!), and Skeletron handed my :red: to me on a silver platter. Does anyone have a strategy for these guys?

Secondly, Medusa. This thing is horrible. You can be mining away, having a good ole time, then BAM you're made of stone. Her petrification works through walls, and works even if shes way below or above you. Also, she does a ridiculous amount of contact damage. Could she maybe be nerfed so that the Blindfold protects you from Stoned? Or maybe given less health? Or even just had her debuff time reduced?

Sorry for complaining so much, I'm actually having a lot of fun.

Posting just to say I don't think the salt about expert mode is ENTIRELY unwarranted, but people are slightly too entitled about it.

I'll keep it short and sweet; Terraria attracts a lot of challenge gamers. You know, the thrill seeker types that limit themselves and humiliate the game by pulling off some pretty incredible feats. Sequence breaks, that sort of thing. Expert mode is for, well, experts. It's not just a slightly tougher or more interesting version of the game, it's an alternate, super hostile world you consent to on world creation.

People seem to be getting this idea that if they can't handle it, then it's far too hard. It seems to be thought that any veteran of the game should be able to handle it while the baby newbies have their pathetic training wheels normal mode, and this isn't the case. Nothing says normal mode has been watered down, there's still legitimate challenge to be had there, especially in the endgame. Expert isn't for just everyone to cruise through.

Oh, well, if you're going to insult me:

It didn't feel like a grind when I was playing it, it felt like a challenge that I had to figure out. When I learned that enemies steal my money, I started stashing it away every time I left. When Medusa started turning me to stone, I learned that I wasn't ready to fight it head on, and I avoided direct confrontation until I was. When I realized that the big eye and the rest of the bosses aren't pushovers anymore, I put them off until I was as prepared as possible to face them. Expert mode is pretty hard, and I'm not going to act like it's perfect, but it's definitely not as impossible as you've made it out to be.

Last edited:
So was there any actually good reason for dropping the number of projectiles from Spiky Ball Traps possible in the entire game world from nearly unlimited to 35? I mean besides destroying most AFK farm designs and making the Solar Eclipse, Pumpkin Moon, and Frost Moon even more intolerable in single-player. Those seem like the more obvious goals for such a change.

I feel that this needs to be said.
(NOTE: This opinion may change when new stuff is discovered, but right now, I felt like I had to make this.)

First of all, the calm before the storm. You guys really outdid yourself with this update! The Underground Desert, Granite and Marble biomes, the entire Lunar Event is freakin' amazing. And dat Moon Lord... wow. But there is one thing that presents itself to a glaring flaw for me: The weapon diversity, or lack thereof. Not talking about added new weapon types, those are amazing too, but old weapon types that have not been brought back. This isn't a new problem; The Flairon, a weapon that's obviously a flail, is basically a chain weapon masquerading as a flail. Arrow weapons were not useful at all compared to bullets and rockets; the Tsunami and Pulse Bow were the only two good endgame ones compared to the large amount of artillery weapons. And the Summoner had to get lucky with a Slime Statue or even worse, not find one and their playthrough basically ends without the ability to kill anything. But in 1.3, it's been brought to a whole new level of lack of diversity.

In Melee, there are only 2 types of melee weapons that are consistent across the whole playthrough. Swords... and yo-yos. There are already more yo-yos than flails, or spears, or boomerangs, and there is more stuff related to yo-yos than the other 3 weapons combined plus melee chain weapons! They are extremely fun to use, I can say that, but why yo-yos? Has Red's yo-yo obsession been taken to the level of forgetting about other melee weapon subtypes? While there is the North Pole and Paladin's Hammer, those things are not new, and there should at least be some new stuff. And there still aren't any flails beyond the Flower Pow, a weapon that is a drop from Plantera, which is the beginning of a tier that is obsolete now. Finally, the Solar stuff seems like a tease, as we have a lookalike flail and a lookalike spear, neither of which work as you'd think. (Solar Eruption is actually really cool, but at least introduce something.) The Daybreak could've easily been a projectile spear too, it doesn't have any mechanics that say it shouldn't be unlike the Solar Eruption.

Rangers, as far as I know, get one endgame bow. Nothing's changed there. Not much i can say since I don't know much. Mage weapons are all unique, there are no subclasses there.

And then we get to the Summoner. The problem here isn't endgame weaponry, summoner's been brought up to a better level there. But the early game is something I felt that I need to discuss. Not sure about this, but I think that there aren't any early-game summoner weapons introduced. I dunno, this is something that people are still discovering, but if there aren't any, that is a pretty major problem. The summoner in 1.2 has quite the rocky start. If they ever do find a Slime Statue, they need to :red:ing kill Queen Bee with a single baby slime that only does 8 damage and is grounded. Or they could kill Eow/BoC to get a pick to mine for the Imp Staff, both of which won't be easy to kill with a single baby slime. Yeah. And if they don't find one, they can't move on since they can't kill slimes with anything other than summoner weapons, which they have none of. The sheer fact that the single best Terraria player in the game had to call a magic weapon a summoner weapon to progress on is saddening.

And that concludes my rant. Or so you'd think. Because as far as I know there is another class that needs fleshing out. The Throwable class. Why is it that they get new damage but (or so I think) only weapons and armor pre-Hardmode? What the actual :red:. Yes, there isn't enough space for five pillars, but is that necessary? Because I see two (count that, TWO) different opportunities to add new throwing gear. Martian Conduit Plating, which is only used for decoration and will probably rot in your chests if you don't like the look, and the Lunatic Cultist, who is harder than the pillars and is the gateway to them. Yeah, I thought you learned your lessons with the Summoner class. But introducing a new damage type means you are pretty much introducing a new playstyle and that needs to be respected, not tossed to the wayside past a certain point in the game.

Sorry about the anger present in this rant, but I just want to get my point across.

Yes, with a fresh character, and yes Expert Mode is very possible. Many people have been doing it, and although it is difficult even for experienced players, it can absolutely be done. I'm sorry, but based on your feedback, you're the first person to pose criticisms and concerns that sound like they come from someone who sounds minimally prepared for Expert Mode because of stubbornness and an ineptitude at closing distances as a Melee character.

No it's not. You're playing in Expert freaking Mode. You can't just waddle in and do whatever the heck you want and magically poof your way through the game. Enemies have new AI. Bosses have new AI. You can't do the same exact thing you always do because the enemies aren't. If you can't adapt, you're as good as dead, and it sounds a lot like that you've been dead quite a lot. If Melee isn't working for you, then try a style that works better, but I have beaten bosses with Melee weapons, and it is completely doable.

Absolutely not.

That would negate form the "high risk high reward" aspect of Expert Mode, which is exactly as Redigit wants it to be. That's not going to change.

I think the forum pretty much disagrees with you mate, should probably let it go and when you want to discuss things not be so hostile. Great update so far :D I love Expert Mode. Can't wait for Eye of Cthulhu to kill me.

So, I died fight the Lunatic Cultist. I went back, the altar no he was there. I saved, exited, and restarted my computer. Same thing. Is this a bug? Do I have to start a new world?

So first off, the martian invasion is epic! albeit the UFO is a little annoying. Secondly, I fell like some people are getting a little to stuck on "classes". Now I don't know about you but I didn't pick a class to play at the beginning of the game and I keep it that way. I mean my end game character so far caries a full set of spectre armor and shroomite and I'm working on a set of beetle and I switch between them in the middle of a fights depending on what I need in that moment. So, I guess this is just a suggestion but yeah, you might want to throw away your premises of classes and play with everything you can. and for anyone that says it takes to much time to switch armor, all it takes is hitting exit, three right clicks, and hitting exit again, I can do that in under a second...

Since the Eye of Cthulhu keeps coming up as a complaint in Expert, I thought I'd share these two screenshots of my first experience with him:

2015-07-01_00006.jpg
2015-07-01_00007.jpg

As you can see, I'm merely wearing a full Silver set, used only a Gold Bow + Jester Arrows (great for his eye spawns - which *do* drop hearts I might add), and Grenades. Relevant buffs: 1 Regen Potion, 1 Archer Potion, Happy! Sunflower buff for speed, and was only using Lesser Healing Potions (50HP). Relevant gear: Aglet, Hermes Boots. Extra defense from a couple trinkets, but that can be matched with a single Ironskin.

No arena was used as you clearly see, I was running back and forth from one side of my town to the other, and yes, I had to grapple and climb over my house every single time because I didn't have the foresight to just leave the bottom doors open for the fight because I'm a dingus.

This was my first encounter with EoC, it was the automated encounter so I wasn't even truly "prepared" for it.

No "grind" was required, no "min/maxing". Easily obtainable equipment and buffs found often in chests. I'm very much against "BS difficulty" myself, but people need to calm down and think before immediately calling something out as BS when it's clearly possible.

Last edited:
So was it a miracle that I managed with just Lead armor and no Hermes Boots?

Wish I had screencapped that for proof, but I didn't know it was an achievement at the time. >_>

EXPERT MODE FEEDBACK

Started a fresh world with a fresh character for expert mode funness (it's a word now!), first day I spent realizing how much harder slimes are and even died once. Built a small shack in preparation for night. First night... blood moon. BRING IT OOOOOdead. BRING Idead. Bdead. I didn't get anything done, I forced my doors shut with dirt and waited for morning. Morning came around and I ended up spending most of the day slaying a pinky that showed up, he graced me with roughly 3 gold. Awesome, good start on money... oh crap I didn't build any gear. Spent the last few minutes of the day building some wooden armor and a wooden broadsword. Got caught out at night and died to the first zombie with the extra arm length (heh) and died quickly (broadsword didn't help much). Forced my doors shut again with dirt... why are all those zombies sparkly? OH CRAP MY GOLD! Open the doors and try hard to not die and see if I can recover some of my money (didn't have a box yet to put it in). I ended up losing the rest of my money and only ended up with a handful of silver left. Oh well, such is expert!

Started exploring left over the next few days and found a desert, died a few times to the indigenous fawna. Buzzards are bastards when you don't have any knockback, but it was a problem needing solving. Explored right a little and found a snow biome with a crimson right after that, died in the crimson cuz... crimson with wooden gear. Decided to force my doors shut and start digging a hellevator. Still no boxes to put stuff in and not enough iron collected to make a box. Digged down and ran into the ice biome and found a new underground cabin, I like the new look, found an ice box and SNOWBALL CANNON!! This thing saved my life in expert. I was using all of my snow blocks to make snowballs and unloading on everything. Had a couple friends join me finally and we had a slime rain the next day. We ended up getting the slime banners and putting them up, they help an incredible amount. When we finally got a zombie banner and put it up, zombies and slimes were almost a non-issue anymore, even for the guys with no gear. This is definitely a nice feature. As we build up our gear, we are managing the majority of the enemies just fine. Had a goblin invasion and handled it fairly easily. Eye of Cthulu has shown up a few times on his own and has... ended us each time. That is what we're working on right now.

Overall I'm having a lot of fun in expert mode. There's been some weirdness with some of the other 1.3 changes, but otherwise it's been good. It has required another mode of thinking, taking every little upgrade I can get instead of just waiting until I can get enough metal for the best set of armor available to me. I've had to build up to it creating more armor sets along the way. Also I don't know if this is expert mode only or what, but we have found it incredibly difficult to find items in boxes. The boxes we do find have been typically containing extra potions and no equipment, making hermes boots and other equipment very hard to come by. Not necessarily a problem, if it's intended, it's working. Even though it was getting frustrating the first few nights, after getting some gear it's been good.

Playing expert mode is a war.
Totally different experience for me than normal game. I am enjoying it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom