Short Story A Quaking from Deep Below

TheJoekster

Dungeon Spirit
It was a windier day and the clouds were overcast. The sun, which was on the horizon and setting, had a thin halo glooming faintly through the cirrostratus clouds. Despite the looming overcast, my lips were dry and cracked, and I bit into them as I sent a mythril ax through a tree, which promptly began to topple over. "Timberrr!," I yelled into the lifeless canyon below me. To my knowledge, there wasn't a soul who could hear me. I just liked to yell that - it established dominance.

The tree came crashing to the ground and I started chopping it into pieces to carry back to base. I was making an extension of my base; after I found out I could blow glass bottles, I had become interested in potion brewing. Naturally, you need a room for that.

After wheelbarrowing the sixth block of wood back to home (Only 37 left to go - it was a big tree), I plopped down on the mutilated tree to catch my breath. While the sky was still cloudy, the sun was definitely down, and the moon glew a beautiful yellow hue into the cirrostratus.

The ground started to shake. Startled, I fell off my log. I've had quakes like this since the Wall was killed down in hell, but this one was much more intense and lasted for much longer. I stared into the canyon, which was now beginning to crumble and send huge avalanches tumbling down a 300-foot drop. The ground there exploded, and a silver creature erupted from the valleyside.

It was so long. Longer than the canyon itself. Glistening a metallic hue from the moonlight, the mechanical serpent shot high into the sky above me, before crashing down into the cliffside below me. Hundreds - no, thousands - of red lasers shot from its body in all directions, two hitting me in the thigh and shoulder. Too frightened to feel pain, I began running with a lance in hand.

The metal snake exploded out of the ground twenty feet from where I stood, and stopped in the air to observe me. My adrenaline carried me forward, and drove the lance into its body - right through to the other side. With a screech, it soared into the ground. Somehow, I managed to hold on to the lance, gutting the length of this mechanical worm like a fish until I was pulled with the creature into the sky.

I let go of the spear.

Luckily, I fell on my back, onto a floor of dirt. Not-so-luckily, the worm shot out another volley of lasers, this time three of them hitting me in the back and chest. The serpent did not, however, crash into the ground as gracefully as I had. A third of its body was completely wrecked my my lance, and its head crumpled to a heap under the weight of its own body. The entirety of the mechanical worm's length exploded into a gigantic blue-and-white belt fireball, and a groan of metal grinding of metal shrieked in every direction as the red lights of the mechanical beast faded.

Second story here, hope someone likes it. I'm experimenting with a different writing style, so help from more experienced peeps is welcomed. This is less of a 'short story' and more of a 'scene', but those aren't an option here so I stuck with 'short story'.

Back
Top Bottom