tModLoader Alternate Dimensions

I thought there was a hard limit on world size because Terraria is a 32-bit game, and that Large worlds are essentially at that limit. Is this not the case? And could this alternate dimensions functionality be used just for making the existing world bigger?

If this mod is actually released some time.. :D
I got like, 10 more mods to update before I get to this.

I thought there was a hard limit on world size because Terraria is a 32-bit game, and that Large worlds are essentially at that limit. Is this not the case? And could this alternate dimensions functionality be used just for making the existing world bigger?
I'll release the Large World Enabler mod soon, so this mod will be able to load worlds larger than large if that's enabled.

If you just want larger worlds, you can generate using TerraCustom.

if you take a look at Terraria Industrial Revolution, it has a world size far FAR bigger than a large world, effectively making the large world look tiny.

Just going to say this is pretty cool, and I would totally try my hand at helping with this if and when my knowledge of WorldGen code is more up to scratch. (And when I have tiiiiiiime)

I've been working on this some. I got rid of the call stuff. Now you just reference the mod and your IDE will show you the methods and their parameters, making development easier.

I think it's working, so soon I'll be getting the tmod to people to have them experiment with adding their alternate dimensions so I can get some feedback.

Here is a video of me and @thegamemaster1234 playing a round of the game mode added by the mod I'm using to test Alternate dimensions:

They won't overlap. This mod tells you where your slice is and you don't want to change tiles except on your area.
A question, if a really not experienced guy tried to do one, could he accidentally break someones dimensions? Like override tiles of someone else

A question, if a really not experienced guy tried to do one, could he accidentally break someones dimensions? Like override tiles of someone else
Yeah, probably. It's not hard to generate a bunch or worlds to check if your mod is working right though.

Exciting things are happening.

News

August 22 2016

Alternate Dimensions and Alternate Dimensions Example are both available on GitHub. Please don't take the code from Alternate Dimensions and integrate it into your mod, breaking compatibility with all the other mods adding Alternate Dimensions. You should reference the mod itself. Don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Anyway, now that the source is open source, I hope someone will join me and work towards making this mod ready for release soon.

A couple of mod teams are currently utilizing this mod in their mods, so things are progressing well. If you want to help or use the mod in the development of your mod, let me know and I'll help you get started.

Once a complete feature set is available and everything is working, the mod will be released. Modders don't need to wait, however, and should use the source to experiment.

Also, don't click the publish button.

Exciting things are happening.

News

August 22 2016

Alternate Dimensions and Alternate Dimensions Example are both available on GitHub. Please don't take the code from Alternate Dimensions and integrate it into your mod, breaking compatibility with all the other mods adding Alternate Dimensions. You should reference the mod itself. Don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Anyway, now that the source is open source, I hope someone will join me and work towards making this mod ready for release soon.

A couple of mod teams are currently utilizing this mod in their mods, so things are progressing well. If you want to help or use the mod in the development of your mod, let me know and I'll help you get started.

Once a complete feature set is available and everything is working, the mod will be released. Modders don't need to wait, however, and should use the source to experiment.

Also, don't click the publish button.
Awesome!

Uggh just seeing that makes me so hyped... Man... I wish the dimension were released already!

Anyway besides the Auralite Dimensions, I could so see someone using this for a possible World Of Warcraft mod or something. Much hype, need more mods, much lonely, wow.

I can see this being incredibly useful from a server stand point, having 2 medium sized world with a tele item that you get from defeating the wall of flesh. the new dimension would be the one with hard mode activated while the old one stayed the same, this would allow time to pass in both and allow base building in the sky biomes without dealing with sky dragons.

Assuming its possible to activate hard mode for only one dimension, that would be the hard part.

also, bosses that tele you into their own dimension would be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom