Weapons & Equip Balancing Shadow Orbs and Crimson Hearts

What do you think should happen to the Band of Starpower? What about the rest of the suggestion?

• The Band of Starpower should be found in the Dungeon.

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • It should be found in Gold Chests like the Band of Regeneration is.

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • It should be sold by the Traveling Merchant.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • It should be kept as a drop from Shadow Orbs.

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Baconfry's a genius! He solved the Panic Necklace problem!

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Mana Bracing sounds like a good idea. Let's do it!

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • A Meat Hook? Yes, please!

Votes: 19 45.2%
  • No thanks. This doesn't appropriately fix the problem.

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
You guys are getting off topic.

Well, if you're like me, I'd go settle with Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu straight after Eye of Cthulhu. So there's pretty much no time for waiting
Well, yeah, but think about the newer players. They're usually not experienced enough to do that, so there's probably a big gap for them. Making the BoSP available somewhat earlier will give them a helping hand.

I sincerely hope people understand the difference between asymmetrical balance an symmetrical balance. Right now, people are hot on alternatives to everything and trying to make them as equal as possible to their alternatives instead of making them as different, yet still equal in gear potential and difficulty, as possible.

More on-topic, I'm genuinely fine with this happening despite not seeing much of a need for it. I've played Mage play-throughs and really don't understand why people call Magic Cuffs mandatory, or a better word being necessary.

I already basically covered this in the other thread, but I might as well put it over here anyway.

I completely support everything about this suggestion except for the Mana Bracing- that's still kinda screwing over casters in Crimson worlds, and while it's an improvement, I still very much feel it shouldn't be there unless the Crimson equivalents are, and even then, both Magic Cuffs and Blood Pressure Cuffs are incredibly useful accessories to their respective classes, as are their upgrades, and it seems a bit unfair to favor a specific class based on worldgen.

I only have one problem with Mana Bracing: if this happens, crimson players still cant get the Celestial Cuffs. Another balance problem. Other than that, this is great!

I already basically covered this in the other thread, but I might as well put it over here anyway.

I completely support everything about this suggestion except for the Mana Bracing- that's still kinda screwing over casters in Crimson worlds, and while it's an improvement, I still very much feel it shouldn't be there unless the Crimson equivalents are, and even then, both Magic Cuffs and Blood Pressure Cuffs are incredibly useful accessories to their respective classes, as are their upgrades, and it seems a bit unfair to favor a specific class based on worldgen.
I only have one problem with Mana Bracing: if this happens, crimson players still cant get the Celestial Cuffs. Another balance problem. Other than that, this is great!
Well, like I said, I'm aiming for a compromise. If the developers see this, and they think that Magic accessories should be completely removed from the Shadow Orb drop table and replaced with something classless, then they will, but in the meantime, I'm suggesting a middle-ground and setting up a pattern which can easily accept substitutes, should anything better come to the minds of the developers.

Well, like I said, I'm aiming for a compromise. If the developers see this, and they think that Magic accessories should be completely removed from the Shadow Orb drop table and replaced with something classless, then they will, but in the meantime, I'm suggesting a middle-ground and setting up a pattern which can easily accept substitutes, should anything better come to the minds of the developers.
Ok, i see what you did there. I guess it would still be more balanced than now.

A valid point. In that case, it's fine.

I like most of it. However. What I don't like is that it doesn't fix the REAL problem. And that is that you can't get the magic cuffs on a corruption world. Sure the band of starpower is nice for the beginning. But let's be honest. Later in game it's not worth an accessory slot just to have 20 mana. However. Restoring mana on taking damage is always useful. So you have fixed the minor Pre-HM problem but not the big HM problem. Because the magic cuffs are still restricted to a corruption world. So we need to either remove the mana bracing and find a new accessory for corruption or we need to get the mana bracing from something else and find a new accessory for the corruption.

Boosted Mana Regeneration is a big plus, though. I only ever make Magic Cuffs if I have a couple of spare Bands on my hand.

Honestly, I like your idea of putting the Band of Starpower in gold chests underground. Maybe they can start making special mushroom chests for the underground mushroom biomes and put the Band of Starpower in there?

I'm not sure I understand how this is middle-ground. The changes you suggested are as follows.

1. Move the Band of Starpower out of the Corruption, so it can now be common to all worlds - A great suggestion. Fantastic, really.
2. Shadow Orbs now drop Mana Brace, which recovers mana when you get hit. This is... kinda what the Mana Cuffs already do. Wierd...
3. Replace Shackles in the Mana Cuffs recipe with Mana Brace, so you now require Mana Brace + Band of Starpower to make Mana Cuffs.

It started OUT as a great suggestion, but then you screwed it over with that last part and completely abandoned the original goal. Once again, the Mana Cuffs (which are integral to some serious mage builds) can only be crafted with materials found in a corruption world.

You didn't make a compromise. You STARTED to, but then you swirled us right back around to square-1. If you didn't intend to do this you might want to look into changing it a bit to be what you actually wanted it to be...

You didn't make a compromise. You STARTED to, but then you swirled us right back around to square-1. If you didn't intend to do this you might want to look into changing it a bit to be what you actually wanted it to be...
Moving the Band of Starpower isn't a compromise, though. That's completely moving Mana-based accessories from the Corruption. Keeping them there is the exact opposite, leaving all four accessories (Band of Starpower, Mana Regen Band, Magic Cuffs, and Celestial Cuffs) as being Corruption-exclusive. The middle-ground is letting two accessories be available on all worlds (Band of Starpower and Band of Mana Regen) while still having three Corrupt-exclusive ones (the Mana Brace, Magic Cuffs, and Celestial Cuffs).

The reason why I favor the middle-ground is because I think Baconfry's suggestion for new Crimson accessory upgrades would fit in perfectly. Instead of having the Mana Brace, Magic Cuffs, and Celestial Cuffs, the Crimson would instead get the Panic Necklace, Blood Pressure Cuffs, and Cordial Cuffs.

Back
Top Bottom