Weapons & Equip Better ninja and crystal assasin armor

Flint🪓

The Axe
So ill go straigth to the point, ninja armor sucks and crystal assassin armor can be good due to it´s set bonus and decent stats but provides no stats for mages (kinda) or summoners. What could be made to fix this is up to debate but the main idea is to make ninja armor worth it and make crystal assassin armor worth to use for mages and summoners. So my idea here to fix these issues:

Ninja_armor.png
Ninja armor:
  • Replaced full set bonus with 2x acceleration and deceleration.
  • Replaced the +3% crit chance on each piece with +5% movement speed and +2% damage.
Crystal_Assassin_armor.png
Crystal assassin armor:

Nvm this thing is quite strong. But still, having to kill queen slime till you obtain all pieces sucks.
  • Queen slime now always drops 1/1-2 gelatin fragments
1711569994468.png
(Sprite for these)
  • Queen slime no longer drops crystal assassin armor pieces.
  • Each crystal assassin armor piece is crafted with 1 gelatin fragment and 5 palladium/cobalt bars.

Last edited:
Ninja_armor.png
Ninja armor:
  • Replaced full set bonus with a dash equivalent to 3/4 of the one granted by the Shield of Cthulhu and +12% damage.
  • Replaced the +3% crit chance on each piece with 5% movement speed.
So the idea here is to make ninja armor actually worth it, on higher difficulties having a dash pre-EoC could be quite helpful. This idea is not new and i´ve seen many people suggest giving it a dash.
I like the damage increase and changing the crit chance to movement speed. But I'll fight the dash on this set until the day I die. I think it's too strong and would much rather see it replaced with an acceleration/deceleration buff, similar to Magiluminesence.
Crystal assassin armor:
  • Crystal assasin hood magic usage reduction increased from 10% to 15%.
  • Crystal assasin hood now gives +60 mana.
  • Crystal assassin shirt now gives +15% proyectile speed.
  • Crystal assassin pants melee speed increased from 10% to 20%.
  • Crystal assassin pants now give + minion slot and +20% whip range.
  • Crystal assassin pants now increase the size of melee weapons just like titan glove, these stack.
Extra mana and minion slots make so mages and summoners could consider more this armor.
I'm not sure why we're increasing melee speed and melee weapon size here, but I'm ok with the rest of this. It's all fine.

I like the damage increase and changing the crit chance to movement speed. But I'll fight the dash on this set until the day I die. I think it's too strong and would much rather see it replaced with an acceleration/deceleration buff, similar to Magiluminesence.
Sounds good to me.
I'm not sure why we're increasing melee speed and melee weapon size here, but I'm ok with the rest of this. It's all fine.
Melee speed also increases whip speed, the melee weapon size is just an extra stat.

make crystal assassin armor worth to use for mages and summoners.
Missing the point completely about Crystal Assassin. It's a mixed class set. You dont design it "for mages and summoners", it's made to use all weapons at once. Your 3 minions, Nimbus Rod and Clinger Staff get a small damage buff, you can swap to Life Drain for Crowd Control, and so on.
Ninja_armor.png
Ninja armor:
  • Replaced full set bonus with a dash equivalent to 3/4 of the one granted by the Shield of Cthulhu and +12% damage.
I think that if this is going to have a dash and basically give an extra accessory slot, it shouldn't also keep the same stats as before, let alone get a buff to its DPS
  • Crystal assassin pants now increase the size of melee weapons just like titan glove, these stack.
What i was saying above, even giving this an extra minion at all is too much. Crystal assassin doesnt have too many of these stats because the dash is just that good. Buffing it thinking of only one class at a time results in it still being bad for a single class, but now becoming too good when using it as multiclass, exactly how it's intended.

Ninja_armor.png
Ninja armor:
So the idea here is to make ninja armor actually worth it, on higher difficulties having a dash pre-EoC could be quite helpful. This idea is not new and i´ve seen many people suggest giving it a dash.
I like the dash and I also the mouvement speed instead of crit chance but I don't think you need to give it 12% damage, this and a free dash is way too powerful
Crystal assassin armor:
Extra mana and minion slots make so mages and summoners could consider more this armor.
Crystal assasin armor doesn't suck, this is a very good armor. The dash is very powerful and basically save an accessory slot. It doesn't need to be buffed.

Missing the point completely about Crystal Assassin. It's a mixed class set. You dont design it "for mages and summoners", it's made to use all weapons at once. Your 3 minions, Nimbus Rod and Clinger Staff get a small damage buff, you can swap to Life Drain for Crowd Control, and so on.
Perphaps, maybe I understimated it.
I think that if this is going to have a dash and basically give an extra accessory slot, it shouldn't also keep the same stats as before, let alone get a buff to its DPS
As said above, giving it an acceleration boost instead may be better but even then summoning king slime is harder than EoC cuz of the goddamn rubies + just must fight him atleast twice to get the armor. I though of giving it a dash since it´s like the pre-hardmode crystal assassin armor.
I like the dash and I also the mouvement speed instead of crit chance but I don't think you need to give it 12% damage, this and a free dash is way too powerful

Crystal assasin armor doesn't suck, this is a very good armor. The dash is very powerful and basically save an accessory slot. It doesn't need to be buffed.
Didn´t say it´s bad, if anything it is quite good.

I had the idea of a Ninja armor buff, but this wouldnt be how I want it. Perhaps I would make it a melee armor and give more defense since there is no proper melee armor early game.

1711569476471.png

Yeah so uh, crystal assassin is quite stronger than I renembered, will be making changes to the post.

Edit: changes done.

Last edited:
20% acceleration on Ninja Armor is absolutely nothing. Magiluminescence is 75%, and I honestly still think that's pretty low. I'd boost it to 125% or more, if it's going to be the entire set bonus. The stats are also a nerf, as the movement speed has been reduced from 20% to... 6% (this is additive movement speed too, so it basically gets deleted by stuff like Hermes's Boots), and the Crit Chance has been nerfed by 3% too. I don't think any nerfs are in order, anyway, honestly; Ninja Armor is currently quite lacking.

If your gripe with Crystal Assassin is that you have to kill it multiple times to get the full set, I don't think this is much of an improvement on that front. Currently, each bag drops 2 pieces of the set, which means your second kill has ~66% chance to give you the missing piece. With this change, you are guaranteed  not to get it until your third attempt. It's more consistent, though, I'll give it that, and I think I like that more than the RNG it currently has. I think it feels more thematically fitting too; since there's not a ninja inside like there is with KS, so dropping the armor outright doesn't make too much sense to me.

Last edited:
How about 50% acceleration and deceleration?
This would still be an entire armor set that gives less than what an easily-obtainable accessory gives, on top of lacking the movement speed bonus that Magi also has (and the light, but I think that part is quite irrelevant). It should be better, not worse, especially since it's the most prevalent drop from King Slime.

I think it feels more thematically fitting too; since there's not a ninja inside like there is with KS, so dropping the armor outright doesn't make too much sense to me.
a giant murderous flower dropping a grenade launcher, or a laser-shooting meat wall dropping a steampunky gun, doesnt make too much sense either, though

a giant murderous flower dropping a grenade launcher, or a laser-shooting meat wall dropping a steampunky gun, doesnt make too much sense either, though
That's also true, and Queen Slime dropping an armor set for (seemingly) no reason isn't something I actually have an issue with, but the concept already made sense with King Slime; may as well use the same concept again for Queen Slime right? And if you aren't, making Queen Slime's core a drop sounds like a good idea to me.

I think what Crystal Armor needs is a rebalance of its stats like what Baconfry did in a previous post. I don't think reworking how to obtain it is really all that necessary, if you wanna make it easier to obtain you can just make all the drops cycle in the shimmer same with Ninja Armor. I also like how the armor currently is, not needing any hardmode mining (albeit this recipe requires little) I'd prefer to keep 0 of the hardmode ores in there.

For rebalancing Ninja Armor I feel like it needs a bit more effort but I do like the idea of changing the crit out for damage, this opens up options for summoners who wanna go more glass cannon. They have a lower defense but slightly more damaging set to pair with the flinx fur coat. For the set bonus I don't think it should do much, a lot of set bonuses at this stage are slightly stat increases or has 1 minor unique ability like removes mana cost off of space gun. I don't think it needs anything crazy like a dash or magi 2 just to make the set viable.

That's also true, and Queen Slime dropping an armor set for (seemingly) no reason isn't something I actually have an issue with, but the concept already made sense with King Slime; may as well use the same concept again for Queen Slime right? And if you aren't, making Queen Slime's core a drop sounds like a good idea to me.
Blade staff used to drop from enchanted swords and got switched to a queen slime drop (which im thankful for) but it dropping from enchanted swords made more sense. Don´t think this matters though. Queen slime dropping her core may just be re-naming the gelatin fragments since I made the sprite out of that.

1711573662238.png
1711573671655.png

I think what Crystal Armor needs is a rebalance of its stats like what Baconfry did in a previous post. I don't think reworking how to obtain it is really all that necessary, if you wanna make it easier to obtain you can just make all the drops cycle in the shimmer same with Ninja Armor. I also like how the armor currently is, not needing any hardmode mining (albeit this recipe requires little) I'd prefer to keep 0 of the hardmode ores in there.
I had in mind to make it similar to frost armor, 15 palladium/cobalt bars take at most 10 - 5 min.

Blade staff used to drop from enchanted swords and got switched to a queen slime drop (which im thankful for) but it dropping from enchanted swords made more sense. Don´t think this matters though. Queen slime dropping her core may just be re-naming the gelatin fragments since I made the sprite out of that.

View attachment 464234 View attachment 464235

I had in mind to make it similar to frost armor, 15 palladium/cobalt bars take at most 10 - 5 min.
It's not that the items are difficult to obtain, it's the fact that you're getting the items in the first place. Not everyone wants to break altars, while the only alternative is fishing and you can easily get some from there, I feel like it's best if it doesn't cost any hardmode ores to craft at all. That is one of the perks of crystal assassin currently as it lets you skip hardmode ore grinding completely. I'm not entirely against the idea of having it be crafted, but I still feel like it should be easy to obtain through an iron/lead anvil even.

Why? Each one may have it´s reason but breaking altars is a no-brainer, since 1.4.4 they no longer spawn random evil blocks, there is no "punishment" for breaking them.
Breaking altars can turn on events like pirate invasions or natural mech spawns, both of which are annoying to deal with in early hardmode.

Back
Top Bottom