tModLoader Calamity Mod

What would you like me to create more of?

• NPCs (enemies, house NPCs, etc.)

Votes: 1,170 19.5%
  • Bosses

Votes: 2,450 40.7%
  • Items (Accessories, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 1,585 26.4%
  • Vanity (furniture, armor sets, etc.)

Votes: 438 7.3%
  • Mineable Stuff (Ores, Blocks, etc.)

Votes: 372 6.2%

• Total voters
i sti

ll get hitcap from SCaT
[doublepost=1522262609,1522262340][/doublepost]
i hat u *S*upreme *CA*lami*T*as
Why do you play this mod? This mod is meant for actual players, not cheaters. What fun do you feel while fighting against bosses like that?

I'm new to the community and game. I've been playing about a month now and love it. The calamity mod has kept the game going after every "pure" vanilla class playthrough. I wanted to say this mod is excellent and very fun and challenging.

With that said, my only concern is the devourer of gods wall I've smashed into. I'm very happy for the blood shards that now drop from blood moon enemies. Combining the blood armor and zerg potion during these makes farming for potions so much better. This was a great idea. But I've used so many potions on DoG attempts now it's insane.

His first phase is very nicely balanced and rewards people who have spent a good hour or more of preparing. My problem comes in the second phase. It could be caused by my resolution of 3440x1440 ultrawide. You would think this resolution would help letting me see so much but it actually zooms in with no way of zooming out more. The lasers appear almost immediately on my screen leaving almost 0 room for error.

Everything up to this point i felt was very balanced (this is EXPERT MODE btw). Even his second form is pretty balanced, my only gripe is his invisible / immune phase. I feel this portion of the fight is very unbalanced and unfair. Prior to this point, with careful dodging and paying close attention to the fight it's pretty smooth. Getting in chip damage when you can trying to dodge the chaos flying at you from everything. Once he goes immune though, i feel this is a deliberate attempt to draw out the fight and punish you. If you took damage switching to a healing weapon etc is no longer a viable option. There is so much chaos and damage coming in at this point that it doesn't even become an endurance fight. If you do not absolutely perform everything perfect you are destroyed within a second. And with the 2 full phases and massive health, it makes it very frustrating losing 100+ times at this point in the very long fight using 2 sets of 8+ buff potions per attempt.
I feel in and up to expert mode the invulnerable portion of the fight shouldn't be there. Keep that and the double worms for revengance but this would open up possible healing options if you have prepped enough to keep up.

Don't take it the wrong way please! This is just my opinion as someone who has spent a full week on this boss and can flawlessly kill his phase 1 and flawlessly phase 2 until his invuln phases from all of my attempts. This is from easily over 100 attempts and so many hours farming other stuff for buffs etc. The mod is amazing just this boss, for not even being a final boss, is so intense and not in a fun way to me. Every boss has certain preparations you can do to make it easier. This boss seems deliberately designed to remove any type of possible prep to make your life easier which I feel takes away from the original I guess goal of the games design.

Thank you guys so much for this amazing mod though. All the hard work you guys put in shows with clever fun boss encounters, weapons, mechanics etc. You guys have truly revitalized my excitement for the game and I can't wait for my next pure class playthroughs, if I can ever beat DoG and progress on my melee one that is!

The only thing you can do here is just try, try, try, try until you beat him. You basically have to be a master to kill him.

to be honest, up until DoG i wasn't having much trouble just died a few times to some bosses but it was manageable, then i reach DoG and it's :red:ing insanely stupid how he spams the arena with spheres that :red: up your flight, and then if you manage to kill him for the first time (after a long :red: time because only his head and tail take decent damage) he comes back to life yet again and even more cancerous. I've died so many times that there's tombstones all over my arena and scattered around my world

He is literally made to be hard. Either you beat him or you leave.

Or cheat like that amazing person is doing.

signus.png
Will this be the new sprite? I hope so.
[doublepost=1522264372,1522264327][/doublepost]
bumbleNYOOOM_2_niorin.gif
Also will this be the new bumblebirb? I hope not.

What honor is there in cheating in a mod made for difficulty and (obviously) fun?

Well, whatever. The real important thing is that we all have a good time!

Why do you play this mod? This mod is meant for actual players, not cheaters. What fun do you feel while fighting against bosses like that?

The only thing you can do here is just try, try, try, try until you beat him. You basically have to be a master to kill him.

He is literally made to be hard. Either you beat him or you leave.

Or cheat like that amazing person is doing.
man INSTA KILL after 5 hits, i hate him, now i have Lol item and im using it whinout dying!, terraria has crashed ;-; i love kill bosses and i cheated after killing SCaT 10 times (2 days trying)

i think cheating is fine as long as you use it to test the water against the bosses, so you get the practice to defeat them without cheats.

anyways i was able to beat DoG by making use of the lesser machine power of my current PC so it was easy to time movements during the fight. would have it been in a high end PC i would ahve probably died anyways even at full screen (i have to play in a small windowed mode on this machine to get good framerate).

Revengeance is fine, i practically activate it whenever i start a new world. its just that you have to rethink how you fight, not try and do the same strats of the vanilla game. i think the closests to difficulty on those terms are the last Thorium and Spirit bosses. so if you think DoG or Supreme Calamitas is unfair, i'd like to see you try to kill The Dying Reality or the Overseer without cheats.

Calamity wasnt made to be just extra merry go round content. i like some of the hardmode stuff but once you kill the Moonlord the thing becomes exponentially difficult to justify that you become uberpowered against most enemies (at the point that the Moonlord himself can be safely farmed).

perhaps the content becomes too difficulty, not sure because i havent tested playing on regular expert mode so not sure how hard are the bosses there. i would welcome any proper nerf to the DoG or Yharon (and perhaps Supreme Calamitas), there's not much good weapons to fight them honestly.

BTW:

i like those new designs. props to the one who redid the Earth Elemental to match it with the waifus (humanized elementals).

but im left wondering, will the Providence related mobs (Scorn Eaters and the candle things) along with Providence and the Cnidrion get a new designs?

also the Wulfrum mobs. taking in account that Calamity is starting to take its own general style now.

Last edited:
Not sure what to say about her, as if she wasn't horrible in vanilla, I know for a fact that in a square arena, water at the bottom helps because if I'm not wrong, it slows down the spiky balls

i think cheating is fine as long as you use it to test the water against the bosses, so you get the practice to defeat them without cheats.

Revengeance is fine, i practically activate it whenever i start a new world. its just that you have to rethink how you fight, not try and do the same strats of the vanilla game. i think the closests to difficulty on those terms are the last Thorium and Spirit bosses. so if you think DoG or Supreme Calamitas is unfair, i'd like to see you try to kill The Dying Reality or the Overseer without cheats.

Well, i find the Overseer kinda easy, but never tried The Dying Reality. Still IMO Calamity bosses are wayyyyyy harder.

Ideas for Calamity. (I know some stuff is still in development, but these are ideas to help developers)

Sulphurous Sea

- Sulphurous Geyser is a trap that spawns on the underwater surface and randomly spews out a column of Sulphur, inflicting Poison (or a new Sulphur related de-buff). They are breakable with a Skyfringe Pickaxe or greater.

- Corrosive Gust is a natural force that pushes you back and inflict Poison (or a new Sulphur related de-buff). It is a yellow-colored horizontal wind spiral that always flies away from the Sulphurous Ocean, coming from the ocean.

- Entrance into Abyss could be a cave pattern instead of a straight hole down.

Abyss

- Post-Skeletron area (Layer 1) where you can get some weapons for Slime God. It's more of a cell type place with tunnels and small little holes/areas connecting to other cells where abyss chests could spawn with weapons to battle against Slime God.

- Abyssal enemies have a larger detection area since the water is more luminous but are weaker to compensate for Pre-Hardmode characters.

- Stalactites grow on Abyssal Gravel, which have a chance to break, just like a boulder trap but without the pressure plate and detects if a player if it is under its y coordinates under a specific range, and fall and damage the player.

- When journeying into layer 2 and if you are not post-Plantera, an Abyssal Mermaid will spawn and circle around you for 10 seconds until you exit that layer, which it then leaves. If you stay longer, it will keep circling around inflicting Confusion, darken screen, and you will lose breath faster (Suggested by Moonburn).

- Hadopalegic Orb, which spawns in the 3rd and 4th layer, is a passive static enemy that does no contact damage. If the player touches it, medium sized Abyssal Wails (like the Eidolic Wail projectile but bigger) rise to the player from the bottom-up. It will inflict a de-buff that enlarges the Abyssal enemies detection range for 3 seconds (5 seconds in Revengeance, 7-8 seconds in Death).

- In layer 4 of the Abyss, Eidolon Cultist spawns and summons a High Pressure Vortex. Once near, it pulls you in and inflicts Crush Depth.

Astrum Regia (Sky/Space Palace)

- Astrum Regia (Star Palace in Latin) is a floating yellow and purple open palace in the sky (similar to Leviathan's dungeon palace in his latest Death Mode play-through, but a smaller and longer version instead of tall), near space.

- Entering inside disables low-gravity and keeps it at normal levels. To open the palace gate, one needs to acquire the Astral Key dropped by Astrum Deus.

- After killing Astrum Deus, a message appears at the bottom-left saying "The stars begin to illuminate more brilliantly". This indicates the palace is able to be unlocked with the key dropped by Astrum Deus, and the guardian is removed once unlocked.

- If one attempts to enter the palace without the key to unlock its barriers (because some of it is open), something similar to the Dungeon Guardian spawns and tries to run you out, eventually killing you. It will not insta-kill the intruder since accidental intrusion can occur.

- Astral enemies spawn when inside the palace. (More details on this later, I could actually use some feedback for new enemies and changes)

- Celestial Engineer is a summoning enemy. It randomly summons a smaller enemy from a selection. It does not have any other weapons and does not charge the character.
  • Wait time of 15 seconds until it can summon something else (10 sec in Rev, 6-8 sec in Death)
  • Summons your usual Astral Probe, summons 1 when encountering the player. After 2 seconds, it summons a second one.
  • Summons a Neutronic Aranea, a small purple-lightblue spider (Similar to spider summon from spider staff). It clings to walls and attacks the character, like the normal spider summon AI. When it is off a wall, it has the same AI as a slime, except it continuously moves and jumps. (Suggested by Lucas2404)
- Celestial Sorcerer is an enemy that throws God Slayer Inferno fireballs once near the character. It has a 80% chance to inflict the God Slayer Inferno de-buff.

- Celestial Trooper is an enemy that rushes near the character and wields an astral sword that allows it to dash to the player (similar to Corite from Solar Pillar event, except this has more of a dash and up-to-down sword slash)

- Celestial Defender is an enemy that deploys a pinkish-purple shield protecting other enemies who's goal is to stay back.

- Celestial Banneret is an enemy that holds a banner symbolizing Astrum Deus and gives other enemies a small damage buff and increased rate of attack (summon, shooting, etc.).

- A Celestial Vanguard is a group of weak contact damage enemies, about 3-4 enemies, protecting a Paladin-like Astrum Paladinus, which throws heavy Neutronic Mallei (Plural of Malleus) at the character.

- Astrum Paladinus has a chance (close to the drop rate of Paladin's Hammer) to drop a Neutronic Malleus, which is a throwing weapon resembling Paladin's Hammer, except with a yellow-purple color pallet, and when thrown summons 2 stars (similar to the upcoming Star Cannon MK2 star projectile), one on top and the other at the bottom.

Other Ideas

- Gloomy Key is an item (infinite uses) that is dropped by Skeletron or found in Dungeon Chests. Replaces the use for Shadow Key to have it more Abyss related. Aesthetics ;)

- Alchemist's Sack is an item that is crafted out of 5 Leather, 20 Silk, and 3 Empty Bottles at a Loom. Its purpose is to carry a number of potions inside. Pressing your usual Buff hotkey will use favorited potions only to avoid accidentally using ZERG POTION! (and other potions that are not intended for use)

- Slime God Staff is a summon item that is combined with the Slime Staff, Corroslime Staff, and Crimslime Staff, 5 souls of Sight, Might, and Fright, and 20 Purified Gel. Intended to assist summoners having trouble with Calamitas. (Assistance from CrabBar, ! Deseret, and RuffyNeko)

- Astral Slime Staff is a summon item combined with Slime God Staff, 125 Stardust, 10 Astral Bars, 10 Luminite Bars, and 50 Gel. Intended to assist summoners having trouble with Providence, the Profaned God. (Assistance from ! Deseret)

I currently do not have any drawings or sprites available for my suggestions. I do not have any art skills and hope to have the community unleash their artist powers.
Any thoughts or ideas to add or change?

Last edited:
Ideas for Calamity (I know some stuff is still in development, but these are ideas to help developers)

Surface Sulphurous Sea

- Sulphurous Geysers is a trap that spawns on the surface of the beach, and randomly spews out a column of Sulphur, inflicting Poison (or a new Sulphur related de-buff). They are breakable with a Skyfringe Pickaxe or greater.

- Corrosive Gust is a natural force that pushes you back and inflict Poison (or a new Sulphur related de-buff). It is a yellow-colored horizontal wind spiral that always flies away from the Sulphurous Ocean, coming from the ocean

- Entrance into Abyss could be a cave pattern instead of a straight hole down.

Abyss

- Post-Skeletron area (Layer 1) where you can get some weapons for Slime God. It's more of a cell type place with tunnels and small little holes/areas connecting to other cells where abyss chests could spawn with weapons to battle against Slime God.

- Abyssal enemies have a larger detection area since the water is more luminous but are weaker to compensate for Pre-Hardmode characters.

- Stalactites grow on Abyssal Gravel, which have a chance to break, just like a boulder trap but without the pressure plate and detects if a player if it is under its y coordinates under a specific range, and fall and damage the player.

- Medium sized Abyssal Wails (like the Eidolic Wail projectile but bigger) rise to the player from the bottom-up if the player touches a Hadopalegic Orb, which is a passive enemy that does no contact damage. It will inflict a de-buff that enlarges the Abyssal Enemies detection range for 3 seconds (5 seconds in Revengeance, 7-8 seconds in Death).

- When journeying into layer 2 and if you are not post-Plantera, an Abyssal Mermaid will spawn and circle around you for 10 seconds until you exit that layer, which it then leaves. If you stay longer, it will keep circling around inflicting Confusion, darken screen, and you will lose breath faster (Suggested by Moonburn)

- In layer 4 of the Abyss, Eidolon Cultist spawns and summons a High Pressure Vortex. Once near, it pulls you in, drowning you a bit faster.

Sky/Space Ideas

- Astrum Regia (Star Palace in Latin) is a floating yellow and purple open palace in the sky (similar to Leviathan's dungeon palace in his latest Death Mode play-through), near space.

- Entering inside disables low-gravity and keeps it at normal levels. To open the palace gate, one needs to acquire the Astral Key dropped by Astrum Deus.

- If one attempts to enter the palace (because some of it is open), something similar to the Dungeon Guardian spawns and tries to run you out, eventually killing you. It will not insta-kill the intruder since accidental intrusion can occur.

- Astral enemies spawn when inside the palace. (More details on this later, I could actually use some feedback for this)

Other Ideas

- Gloomy Key is an item (infinite uses) that is dropped by Skeletron or found in Dungeon Chests. Replaces the use for Shadow Key to have it more Abyss related. Aesthetics ;)

- Alchemist's Sack is an item that is crafted out of 5 Leather, 20 Silk, and 3 Empty Bottles at a Loom. Its purpose is to carry a number of potions inside. Pressing your usual Buff hotkey will use favorited potions only to avoid accidentally using ZERG POTION! (and other potions that are not intended for use)

I currently do not have any drawings or sprites available for my suggestions. I do not have any art skills and hope to have the community unleash their artist powers.
Any thoughts or ideas to add or change?
you may want go to the discord server of calamity youll have more quicker response in there.

you may want go to the discord server of calamity youll have more quicker response in there.
I paste the link here and there in the Discord server whenever I add a good amount of ideas to this list. I've never known how to put this on the forums, and have been sending screenshots, instead, on the server. Thanks for the assistance though! ;)

Why is the bumblebirb bad? I like it a hell of a lot better.
That sprite is so much better! It looks so much more threatening adn closer to the bird/dragon hybrid it is meant to be.
Bumblebirb is supposed to be a (relatively) cute... thing. It should stay like the ball of fluff it is. With a name like Bumblebirb, it shouldn't look like some kind of mutated beast that will hunt you down (which I know it is), but it shouldn't really look intimidating. Also, it doesn't seem to actually need a re sprite.

Bumblebirb is supposed to be a (relatively) cute... thing. It should stay like the ball of fluff it is. With a name like Bumblebirb, it shouldn't look like some kind of mutated beast that will hunt you down (which I know it is), but it shouldn't really look intimidating. Also, it doesn't seem to actually need a re sprite.
Honestly, I've always thought that Bumblebirb didn't really fit the difficulty of the fight precisely because it's cute. Maybe it would fit if it was a early HM boss, but penultimate boss? Nah.

Warning: Wall of Text containing possibly unpopular opinions about the current state of the "fairness" of Post-MoonLord Calamity. Open Spoiler Box with Caution!

Post-MoonLord Calamity is based and balanced around itself, to the point that by the time you get to DoG weapons from other Post-MoonLord mods like Thorium or Spirit become obsolete. All of it is supposed to be on a higher level of difficulty, reaching insane degrees with Death Mode. And yes, bosses like DoG and Yharon require a metric crap-ton of patience and skill - that's their entire purpose, not to mention SCal. Those bosses are made to be obscenely difficult, to the point that making the game slow down is better so you can react faster. I definitely had to do that, and it took me dozens of tries to beat DoG and quite a handful fighting Yharon in Death Mode (still haven't beat SCal yet).

I personally have no problem with those difficult bosses existing, as it has been shown many many times that they are certainly possible to beat, you just have to have a lot of patience and a lot of skill, both of which I was surprised to find in myself trying to beat those bosses over and over and over again. And considering how much of a piece of crap my computer is, I was amazed at it even being able to load those bosses properly.

A lot of Post-MoonLord Calamity comes down to remembering patterns and playing around them, like not necessarily keeping time on the 15~ second timer for DoG's patterns, but recognizing how he's moving and remembering what he's going to do, same with Yharon and SCal. Give yourself as much space to dodge as possible (build an arena, even if it's just lengths of platforms), and use anything and everything to your advantage without actually cheating (i.e. god-mode or purposefully-overpowered mod weapons with like 99999999 damage or something). For example, my biggest problem against DoG wasn't the bit-by-bit damage I was taking, but being unable to get out of the way of his superfast charges in Death Mode, leading to many, many insta-deaths that were my own fault for not timing my dashes and Rod-of-Discord uses properly. Once I got a handle on boss patterns, though, most of them were pretty darn fun. I got a lot of enjoyment out of facing DoG head-on, then Discord-ing just away from him as he charged at me at light-speed, then pumping him full of bullets and magic, then dashing away if he got too close. Also, that feeling of finally killing such a ball-bustingly-difficult fight, the sense of accomplishment in doing it legitimately, is one of the biggest points (I think of Dark Souls, in this regard) of making those bosses so hard. Because it is certainly possible to beat those bosses without cheating, and they aren't really cheap. Just obscenely difficult.

In essence, I don't think there's much of a problem with the boss fights. (Personal favorite though is Ceaseless Void - dodging and weaving through the waves of Dark Energy and mass-murdering them with everything I had was a blast) Yes, the end-game bosses have their "quirks", but it all makes sense lore-wise and boss fight-wise they aren't really issues, just patterns to work around. Once I got used to them, they weren't tedious. And once I had the proper weapons after killing the bosses the first time, I didn't have much problem going back and farming them. I'll admit, cheating some and absolutely destroying some of the bosses can be fun, but doing that to actually progress through the game isn't the point, and some of the bosses are built around not letting you do that, or at least not very easily (looking at you SCal).

I'll also admit that a lot of people don't find this fun at all and think the bosses are cheap pieces of crap that need to be balanced, but I don't think so. As I said before, and as the devs have said, Post-MoonLord Calamity is based and balanced around itself, item-wise and boss-wise. And as impatient as I am, I found a fondness for fighting the bosses and learning their attack patterns and persevering until I finally killed the bastards. Yes, I got frustrated, and even had to stop and come back later at a few points. But that's part of the point of the insane difficulty. If you're part of the group that well-and-truly doesn't have the patience to fight them, that's fine. This mod just isn't for you. The devs aren't going to accommodate the people that don't have the patience/skill when the entire point is to have the sufficient patience/skill. Yes, they'll do a few balance changes here and there, but nothing so drastic. If a noob like me can beat them with enough work, then I have a feeling that most of you all can too (not accounting for glitches and bugs and lag making the game unplayable, because those can and have happened, to me and others, and needed to be fixed before I could move on; though if your computer itself just isn't up-to-par then you're kinda SOL).

Something I want to point out and really want to honor the devs for is how the bosses don't come down to luck. All of my talk about patience and skill is just that, not luck. In fact, LORDE was an entire parody of the luck-based :red:ty boss-fight that, at least to me, pointed out that pretty much every other boss in Calamity was very well-made without purely luck-based properties. DoG doesn't randomly change phases, Yharon doesn't randomly regain massive amounts of HP, SCal doesn't randomly turn into a bullet hell, etc. The only one I can really think of that has random patterns is Providence, which are noticeable enough to not be considered cheap, especially by luck-based standards, as none of her attack patterns are particularly more difficult over the others; also of note, she does go into her "cocoon" more often at low HP (at least every time I fought her), making you time your Rage and Adrenaline in Revengeance/Death Mode around that "phase" instead of immediately after filling the meters. The randomness/unpredictability in Providence's fight makes you think about what you're doing, and does not make the fight totally luck-based.

---

TL;DR - Post-MoonLord Calamity is based and balanced around itself, not other mods or vanilla; the bosses are fun and purposefully insanely difficult but not cheap, and require practice; if you don't have the patience or the skill then this mod isn't for you, plain and simple. I'm not calling you a wimp or a baby, but it just isn't for you, and the devs aren't going to accommodate for you. And on that note, please be kind to the devs. Constructive criticism is perfectly fine, but don't be consistently rude/screechy, because then you do actually sound like a baby, and no one wants that. The devs have put so much work into this mod - and, yes, the Abyss still has its...issues, at the time of this writing, but they're being worked on. Again, constructive criticism is fine - wanted - but surrounding it with unnecessary rudeness and hostility is...off-putting, to say the least.

Last edited:
Well, i find the Overseer kinda easy, but never tried The Dying Reality. Still IMO Calamity bosses are wayyyyyy harder.

they become exponentially harder, Providence is a complete jump in difficulity compared to the Moon Lord. but at the same part in progression both the Overseer and the full Ragnarok fight are more or less in the same terms, even with Uelibloom gear.

the Overseer dishes a lot of damage if you're not carefull to dodge the projectiles, not as deadly as Providence but you cant face the bullets either. The Dying Reality on the other hand spams so much stuff on screen apart of contact damage and has a timer that you have to be both be good at moving around and at dishing damage to break it before it kills you.

the point i wanted to make with that statement was that once you take down those 2 without cheats you are more or less prepared to deal with post-ML Calamity.

Back
Top Bottom