tModLoader Calamity Mod

What would you like me to create more of?

• NPCs (enemies, house NPCs, etc.)

Votes: 1,170 19.5%
  • Bosses

Votes: 2,450 40.7%
  • Items (Accessories, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 1,585 26.4%
  • Vanity (furniture, armor sets, etc.)

Votes: 438 7.3%
  • Mineable Stuff (Ores, Blocks, etc.)

Votes: 372 6.2%

• Total voters
few thithings from this I want to address/respond to~
1.just because someone makes videos about terraria doesn't mean they are the best at the game it just means that they enjoy making videos about a game that they enjoy so terraria youtubers complaining about a boss is no different than anyone else finding it difficult, they aren't gods. as for you having difficulties with pre buff DoG-10 tries isn't that much in all honesty
2.there are several items in the game that can be obtained at various times that will shred balance to pieces, the devs clearly aren't going to fix them anytime soon because they've been around for ages such as the daedulus being usable all the way up to ml in vanilla or the reaver shark allowing you to collect molten before any bosses have been downed etc. etc.
3.you yourself call it godly gear, do you expect it to be an easy thing to collect, they're meant to be difficult and grindy-one of the mods key influences/inspirations was avalon which you may know has alot of grinding in it for powerful gear and this reflects that. unless your referring to darksun frags which are actual hell
4. the mod is meant to be a far cry from the standard vanilla experience unlike something like thorium that stays very close to vanilla in terms of boss difficulty and the like, the mod was made by someone who was bored of the vanilla experience and people play mods for the most part are bored of vanilla so why would the mod creator make it to be exactly like it? Imo it can stray a bit too far at times but it rarely ruins the whole experience-I for one agree with you on stuff like acid rain for example it doesn't help that rain for whatever reason happens every 2nd day for whatever dumb reason
5.as for you wanting to play your own way? you actually have the ability as a human being to have free will and pick the mods you like and play to your liking. If the mod isn't for you thats fine, we aren't forcing you to play it. ofc this can be used to deflect literally any criticism imaginable but with such a wide variety of mods not every single one will cater to every persons liking

the responses are a bit out of order and can get rambly but I'm sure you can see what parts refer to which parts of your comment
tl:dr:
youtubers aren't gods they aren't the be all and end all of gaming mastery
vanilla isn't some holy balanced well oiled machine either (doesn't mean we can slack off ofc but you are saying that its an insult to balance stuff for them and the mod)
godly gear should be hard to obtain its like that for a reason except for one exception being darksun frags jesus christ ;-;
the mod is intended to be harder or atleast different to vanilla-people play mods to get away from vanilla why would you want more of what you don't want
not every single mod will cater to every single person in regards to stuff

honestly I feel it'd be best if everyone were to move this to PMs or something, it's kinda flooding the thread with people just repeating the same thing on both sides and its going nowhere

More like your post is tl;dr because everything is crammed together and I wrote everything as coherently as possible while your post is riddled with spelling mistakes and strawman arguments with little context. Not to mention you took everything I said out of context cause you never read what I wrote in the first place. "You can turn the mod off" is such a stupid argument and you should feel as such. Nothing you said is anything new to me on this forum. Please stop stroking the dev's massive ego. We already have to deal with it enough.

"Youtubers aren't gods" - I want to address this here actually. Did I ever say this? The Terraria community on BOTH Youtube and Twitch have serious issues with Calamity's design choices and have a difficult time adapting to a DIFFERENT play style than what VANILLA intended for the game itself to be. I never said they were gods, but popular people in the community such as Baum, Chippy, and Yrimir are either good, decent, or VERY talented (this goes for Yrimir specifically), and RARELY have issues in EXPERT alone. I'm not just talking about Revengeance (one of the things I said you never bothered to take into context), also Expert mode. When you design things to subtract from the player there's no actual skill involved just tedious tasks.

"as for you having difficulties with pre buff DoG-10 tries isn't that much in all honesty" - You also fail to acknowledge that I had to abuse the Carapace dropped from Coznix in Thorium that revives the player once every minute, and it took me FOUR HOURS, not a few minutes, HOURS to beat the damn thing! That's on Expert alone and BEFORE he was massively buffed (when the head used to deal between 500-700 dmg). Again, you never read, or have a difficult time reading.

I'm not going to bother addressing anything else because your grammatical errors and the fact you are willing to suck and stroke upon Drew's pride. Which is the core of the entire conversation. You also fail to take things into context. Why does Drew need others to defend him from criticism? This is sad in all honesty. You are sheltering him with praise and love and coming up with no new arguments as to why I should have to just deal with these things that shouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

ALL, literally ALL of the problems that Drew has to address in his own mod are self-inflicted. He introduces powerful items then nerfs the gear later on as well as the player (this isn't just in revengeance mode btw), and introduces even more powerful gear and does the same thing to that and nerfs the player even more (as well as power creeping other mods for the sole purpose of preventing other mods from beating his content). He caused these issues, nobody else.

Your argument holds no water cause you only used strawman arguments and CNN'd the information YOU wanted to read.

I am asking a little thing here, I don't know if its ok but I am really wanting a mod like this in the steam workshop but terraria does not have that and the closest game that I have to terraria is starbound so is it ok if people make mods that were originally terraria mods into starbound mods if possible?

It is nearly impossible for me to kill the Devourer of Gods, and I can't quite understand why. Everywhere I look people say that he's an easy-medium difficulty boss, but even in space he homes in on me faster than I can move and one-shots me at 1000 health and 200 defense. How on earth am I supposed to defeat him when I can't survive long enough to hit him?

This isn't meant to be complaining so much as a legitimate plea for help, because I have no idea what to do.

Last edited:
More like your post is tl;dr because everything is crammed together and I wrote everything as coherently as possible while your post is riddled with spelling mistakes and strawman arguments with little context. Not to mention you took everything I said out of context cause you never read what I wrote in the first place. "You can turn the mod off" is such a stupid argument and you should feel as such. Nothing you said is anything new to me on this forum. Please stop stroking the dev's massive ego. We already have to deal with it enough.

"Youtubers aren't gods" - I want to address this here actually. Did I ever say this? The Terraria community on BOTH Youtube and Twitch have serious issues with Calamity's design choices and have a difficult time adapting to a DIFFERENT play style than what VANILLA intended for the game itself to be. I never said they were gods, but popular people in the community such as Baum, Chippy, and Yrimir are either good, decent, or VERY talented (this goes for Yrimir specifically), and RARELY have issues in EXPERT alone. I'm not just talking about Revengeance (one of the things I said you never bothered to take into context), also Expert mode. When you design things to subtract from the player there's no actual skill involved just tedious tasks.

"as for you having difficulties with pre buff DoG-10 tries isn't that much in all honesty" - You also fail to acknowledge that I had to abuse the Carapace dropped from Coznix in Thorium that revives the player once every minute, and it took me FOUR HOURS, not a few minutes, HOURS to beat the damn thing! That's on Expert alone and BEFORE he was massively buffed (when the head used to deal between 500-700 dmg). Again, you never read, or have a difficult time reading.

I'm not going to bother addressing anything else because your grammatical errors and the fact you are willing to suck and stroke upon Drew's pride. Which is the core of the entire conversation. You also fail to take things into context. Why does Drew need others to defend him from criticism? This is sad in all honesty. You are sheltering him with praise and love and coming up with no new arguments as to why I should have to just deal with these things that shouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

ALL, literally ALL of the problems that Drew has to address in his own mod are self-inflicted. He introduces powerful items then nerfs the gear later on as well as the player (this isn't just in revengeance mode btw), and introduces even more powerful gear and does the same thing to that and nerfs the player even more (as well as power creeping other mods for the sole purpose of preventing other mods from beating his content). He caused these issues, nobody else.

Your argument holds no water cause you only used straw man arguments and CNN'd the information YOU wanted to read.
I'm just curious about one thing in this... How did you have a hard time with the Pre Nerf DoG? If it seriously took you 4 hours, were you blindfolded the whole time? You were obviously over-exaggerating about the 4 hours since that is a ludicrous amount of time to fight ANY boss. The pre-buff DoG was easy AS HELL to beat, all you had to do was get a decent mount and fly in the sky while shooting at him and occasionally dodging. If this is really how these easy boss battles feel to you, maybe you shouldn't be the one talking about balancing issues... maybe, in this case, it's a skill issue.

I am asking a little thing here, I don't know if its ok but I am really wanting a mod like this in the steam workshop but terraria does not have that and the closest game that I have to terraria is starbound so is it ok if people make mods that were originally terraria mods into starbound mods if possible?
try looking up stratagies

Both games are vastly different both in gameplay and in modding, and the creator would have to rewrite the entire mod from the ground up with brand new code and sprites if he for some reason wants to port the mod, so no, its not possible

while your post is riddled with spelling mistakes
"You can turn the mod off" is such a stupid argument and you should feel as such.
Again, you never read, or have a difficult time reading.
I'm not going to bother addressing anything else because your grammatical errors and the fact you are willing to suck and stroke upon Drew's pride
@xJake, you've been told before to express your opinion in a polite and constructive manner. Do not attack the person, their spelling/grammar, tell them they should feel stupid, etc.

This is your last reminder to debate the position, not the person. Debate does not mean attack the position or person, but to present your opinions and stance with mutual respect.

@xJake, you've been told before to express your opinion in a polite and constructive manner. Do not attack the person, their spelling/grammar, tell them they should feel stupid, etc.

This is your last reminder to debate the position, not the person. Debate does not mean attack the position or person, but to present your opinions and stance with mutual respect.

I don't think there's anything wrong with my comments. The person who replied to my comment misrepresent MY arguments and points by taking it out of the context they were meant to be in. His post is riddled with quite a few grammatical errors and is too difficult to read most of it. It is incoherent and mashed together. I can't even tell which arguments are being made or not.

Debate the position, not the person? Please elaborate more on this. What you described isn't enough for me to be convinced I did anything wrong.

I don't think there's anything wrong with my comments. The person who replied to my comment misrepresent MY arguments and points by taking it out of the context they were meant to be in. His post is riddled with quite a few grammatical errors and is too difficult to read most of it. It is incoherent and mashed together. I can't even tell which arguments are being made or not.

Debate the position, not the person? Please elaborate more on this. What you described isn't enough for me to be convinced I did anything wrong.
We can take this to PM and let the thread get back on topic.

I'm just curious about one thing in this... How did you have a hard time with the Pre Nerf DoG? If it seriously took you 4 hours, were you blindfolded the whole time? You were obviously over-exaggerating about the 4 hours since that is a ludicrous amount of time to fight ANY boss. The pre-buff DoG was easy AS HELL to beat, all you had to do was get a decent mount and fly in the sky while shooting at him and occasionally dodging. If this is really how these easy boss battles feel to you, maybe you shouldn't be the one talking about balancing issues... maybe, in this case, it's a skill issue.

You missed the point I was making here. He was hard enough before the massive buffs. I was still new to the mod, and have maybe have only a month total time put into the mod itself.

I miss being able to fly to avoid at least have of his attacks (I used RoD to avoid being rammed). I used the carapace from Coznix in Thorium to avoid death. I also used the Nurse whenever I revived and RoDed out of the small shelter and flew off. You can't do this anymore because he now places a gravitation debuff on you and instantly rams you for the 1-shot.

I guess I should point out trial and error back then was more of a thing, now it's "Fight him this way or you're SOL."

Even with 4 hours spent on swapping in and out gear I believed would work or not work it was still a mess of a fight even with frame skip off or on subtle (RIP FPS).

The point I really was trying to make was that there was more FREEDOM as to how YOU (the player) wanted to fight the boss. Chase game, Flying high (even though you were more vulnerable that way anyway), or being able to stay ground bound and jump around to avoid everything.

As opposed to now, the fly-game or jump game is no longer an option because the player just dies instantly cause you trigger the AI to ram you immediately.

Maybe you had an easier time, but players like myself didn't. You probably also had spent more time on playing the mod than I have by that time.

Build a LONG asphalt battlefield in the sky and use the seraph tracers. Play the chase game to manipulate the AI. This is how drew intended for the boss to be beaten, or you could use teleporters to help the strategy along.

was endless The Devourer of Gods in Revengeance Mode meant to be? it seems to only trigger if i have extra boss spawn item of TDoG in my inventory if i even put the stack in the trash it wont keep spawning more

the extra bosses dont drop loot tho

was endless The Devourer of Gods in Revengeance Mode meant to be? it seems to only trigger if i have extra boss spawn item of TDoG in my inventory if i even put the stack in the trash it wont keep spawning more
You have to get both DoG's down to the health where they say 'Don't get cocky, kid!' before you can kill them. Otherwise, they'll just spawn more.

Your argument holds no water cause you only used strawman arguments and CNN'd the information YOU wanted to read.
apologies for not sending a draft to my English teacher for some feedback on my essay format, regardless I'll try to respond to the points you make in order and coherently for you to understand what points I'm trying to get across. :^)

1.I literally say that the fifth point I made is a dumb one that can refute literally any argument so idk what you're going for there.

2.expert isn't that hard to begin with after you've played it a few times so normal is more or less a stepping stone for when you first play the game at this point. I'll agree with you on certain aspects of nerfing the player seeing as its mainly there to avoid bosses being killed quite quickly due to other mods despite calamity having some of the more powerful stuff in terms of content mods. I'll also agree with you on Baum and Yri being pretty talented and that's because of their astounding patience on top of experience, Baum has the patience to farm and grind like a madman and Yri has the patience to attempt speedruns over and over until he has a time he is happy with. The point I was trying to get across is that just because someone makes videos doesn't mean they have a god-given gift for the game, just experience and patience.

3.I don't really have any response for this because although the boss is difficult it's obviously possible with calamity only gear seeing as plenty of people have done it without using the nurse or other cheeky hijinks such as the aforementioned Chippy who isn't any more skilled than a slightly above-average player judging from his videos, different people have different skills that will change how hard certain aspects of a boss are, for DoG, patience is key so you don't get cocky and try to mow him down but you already know this judging from your above comment. I saw in your post above that you don't enjoy having to fight DoG a certain way, you typically fight a boss the way the developer intended it to be fought because they made it, that's how things work, people make things how they want them to work, without the current changes it has it'd be no more than a buffed destroyer with a flashy sprite.

4.I too am a developer for the mod so forgive for defending something that I work on. I don't do any coding mind you but it's obviously a mod I enjoy so I'm going to defend it and seeing as Drew is also a dev it makes sense for my candy-:red: to defend him too.

like I said before, this stuff has gone on for almost 3 pages now so we may as well move this to PMs or just stop, I don't really care about it enough to respond to you again once we're in PMs but if you'd like to voice your opinion again in there that's fine by me, although it is on topic it's getting in the way of other questions people have.
like I mentioned before it's just going to be a constant echo chamber from both sides and will achieve nothing.

anything I didn't respond to is because I'm not going to bother addressing anything else due to you only responding to certain things in mine as well so idk what kooky hijinks are happening here famerino CNN amirite xddd <this is a meme don't shoot me fam

Umm... Is there a good weapon for pre - hardmode Ranger? I'm playing Ranger - only in Revengeance mod, but there is no proper weapon for me...

It's too hard to beat the EOW with ranger weapon....

Umm... Is there a good weapon for pre - hardmode Ranger? I'm playing Ranger - only in Revengeance mod, but there is no proper weapon for me...

It's too hard to beat the EOW with ranger weapon....
try using guns that use meteor bullets perhaps? They can pierce through multiple segments which will make the fight alot easier, as for guns the minishark should suffice assuming you have the dosh for it

I have a problem with the ores and calamity biome either not spawning or despawning after leaving the world.. It doesn't happen when I create a normal world, but when creating an expert mode world and using the revengeance mod item, the ores don't spawn, and the entire calamity biome is missing. Is there a way to fix this?

Back
Top Bottom