tModLoader (CANCLED) Tides of Aether

After several months of careful deliberation in the background, we have reached a conclusion on what is best for Tides of Aether, the team, and our health.

Tides of Aether, as a Terraria Mod, will be discontinued, and will not release. This is, unfortunately, for a wide variety of reasons.
Originally, we were slated to make Tides of Aether release in a properly playable state, hoping to make a solid first impression. Much of it was designed around the existence of 1.4 as the final update, TMod's initial goals to update to it only a few months after it came out, and that we would still have a team to work with.

Unfortunately, as you might know, this has not been the case. Terraria still continues to update vastly faster than we can keep up with, TMod's new API would take several coders several months if going non-stop to get our features ported or remade, and even if not the nebulous state of Terraria as our base, our team size has shrunk so much we barely even have one coder, with only 2 other active and proper asset contributors, and all attempts to recruit even extremely tiny amounts of help have not worked out even across the past year.
With a mod that has only the foundation and hardest design challenges complete of what it needs, but no one to build its core, we can't confidently or proudly release an unfinished, disconnected mess - or a lackluster miniscule demo, after all the years we spent putting this together.

It's not something we wanted, but ultimately, it is quite literally physically impossible for us to finish this mod without working our tiny, already job-laden team to death, so this is why we have opted to throw in the hat before we stress even more about the many factors out of our control. And to avoid staining what we wanted it to be if we find a better time.

Tides of Aether's aesthetic, story, and concepts it wanted to offer, are best used out of this game, in a better place, better time, with more people, in a better future. Thank you, for sticking around, and we're sorry it has to end this way. - Tides of Aether Team

After several months of careful deliberation in the background, we have reached a conclusion on what is best for Tides of Aether, the team, and our health.

Tides of Aether, as a Terraria Mod, will be discontinued, and will not release. This is, unfortunately, for a wide variety of reasons.
Originally, we were slated to make Tides of Aether release in a properly playable state, hoping to make a solid first impression. Much of it was designed around the existence of 1.4 as the final update, TMod's initial goals to update to it only a few months after it came out, and that we would still have a team to work with.

Unfortunately, as you might know, this has not been the case. Terraria still continues to update vastly faster than we can keep up with, TMod's new API would take several coders several months if going non-stop to get our features ported or remade, and even if not the nebulous state of Terraria as our base, our team size has shrunk so much we barely even have one coder, with only 2 other active and proper asset contributors, and all attempts to recruit even extremely tiny amounts of help have not worked out even across the past year.
With a mod that has only the foundation and hardest design challenges complete of what it needs, but no one to build its core, we can't confidently or proudly release an unfinished, disconnected mess - or a lackluster miniscule demo, after all the years we spent putting this together.

It's not something we wanted, but ultimately, it is quite literally physically impossible for us to finish this mod without working our tiny, already job-laden team to death, so this is why we have opted to throw in the hat before we stress even more about the many factors out of our control. And to avoid staining what we wanted it to be if we find a better time.

Tides of Aether's aesthetic, story, and concepts it wanted to offer, are best used out of this game, in a better place, better time, with more people, in a better future. Thank you, for sticking around, and we're sorry it has to end this way. - Tides of Aether Team
A shame, but an understandable one.

This is a problem that has plauged alot of mods over the years, where if they're not "super popular and well known" finding help is an issue. This problem is mod worse by how unstable 1.4 is and how the TML team effectively wants to completely redo TML for it.

This is why I hadn't started porting SGAmod to 1.4, because I'm just one coder and alot of things in my mod are too advanced for 90% of the "coders" of Terraria to understand, and it would be so much work on my end that I literally told my team that I'd have to be "paid" to port the mod.

So yeah... I understand where your coming from, and I'm sorry so many decided to abandon this creative project :(

Its really sad to see this mod be canceled, it had potential. Hopefully this mod could someday be made.
Calamity claims yet another one sadly, despite all the promise (and that they could prove they could do it too), people just didn't want to get involved with the project

New mods just "aren't worth it" for people to get involved in anymore, they only want to get involved in proven and popular mods these days

I mean hey, you gais could always just make a HUGE Steam HUB texture pack if you wanted to... 🤔 🥤

...I mean, it's not the Mod y'all hoped for, but at least your thousands of hours of hard work won't go to waste. In addition, you could always make a Patreon to make up for your loses if core fans really wanna see this Mod come to fruition; in texture pack form or in it's original form. You can set a reasonable goal, and if met, just use the last of your resources for that.

Calamity claims yet another one sadly, despite all the promise (and that they could prove they could do it too), people just didn't want to get involved with the project

New mods just "aren't worth it" for people to get involved in anymore, they only want to get involved in proven and popular mods these days
its a big shame too
because a lot of the mods that i actually wound up really enjoying arent the mainstream ones like Calamity
-had my eye on this one back when i still had a discord

I literally had to make an account for this but If at all possible is there anyway to contact you and the team privately? I would like to discuss details about possibly picking up this mod to finish its development. Cyalide#0626 is my discord or we could talk in other ways your choice, assuming you read these comments still and if anyone else sees this please contact me if you know where to reach the old dev team of this mod. Please and Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom