NPCs & Enemies Caster NPCs in Expert Mode should evade

Lyra

Skeletron
The title does a terrible job of explaining. Here:

Caster NPCs are weak.

Sure, they can teleport to caves where you can't reach them, and one thing I hate when tunneling is having somebody like
Tim.png

or
Rune_Wizard.png

or god forbid,
Ragged_Caster_1.png

start firing at me from an inconveniently placed tunnel. It's a minor nuisance, but the main issue is this:
They're too weak. If you can block their shots and have a route to them (almost always) then they're dead meat.

So why not have them teleport?

Caster NPCs should, in the upcoming 1.3 Expert Mode, teleport if the following conditions are true:

The player is actively moving towards them
OR
There is a projectile about to hit them
AND
They have a free opportunity to fire

This means that, using Tim as an example, were he to fire two shots at you, and you were getting too close for comfort, he would use that last shot to instead teleport to another location at least 30 blocks away from the player, and start firing again. You would have to catch the casters off guard in the few seconds after they've exhausted all their spellbolts when they can't teleport for a few more seconds, or else they'll just warp away before you can hit them.

I would love to see this be implemented, it seems like a fairly simple addition to make casters not be dead meat as you said.

Last edited:
I would love to see this be implemented, it seems like a fairly simple addition to make casters not be dead meat as you said.

I'm a little confused though...just to clear something up, this teleport can only be used if the caster has the chance to fire, correct? Tim fires 3 chaos balls, so he could teleport away every shot if you were actively chasing him, right? Wouldn't this make it extremely hard to kill him? Unless I'm misunderstanding something, which I probably am.
You're able to kill him in the last couple of seconds after firing I think...

I'm a little confused though...just to clear something up, this teleport can only be used if the caster has the chance to fire, correct? Tim fires 3 chaos balls, so he could teleport away every shot if you were actively chasing him, right? Wouldn't this make it extremely hard to kill him? Unless I'm misunderstanding something, which I probably am.
Not much harder, but it would require timing now. Tim does fire three chaos balls, but after that there's three or so seconds where he cools down before he teleports away, and that's when he's vulnerable.
[DOUBLEPOST=1425161274][/DOUBLEPOST]

Not much harder, but it would require timing now. Tim does fire three chaos balls, but after that there's three or so seconds where he cools down before he teleports away, and that's when he's vulnerable.

Ah, that makes more sense ~:p

I like this! It'd add a sense of intelligence to caster NPC's! Support!

Congratulations! Your thread has been..
GQoILLc.png

Last edited:
Full support. It always felt weird that these casters were smart enough to harness magic but couldn't rack up the brainpower to teleport away when someone was running at them with a 15-foot sword.

for cave casters - agree. for dungeon casters -
Doge_Mask.png
- dungeon casters are OP, and changing AI of cave casters will make them even more harder because for every caster there's 1 universal AI
[DOUBLEPOST=1425577846][/DOUBLEPOST]So, just make them hit'n random teleport (this will annoy, but not will be deadly for you because they can spawn in front of your spear)

Back
Top Bottom