Game Mechanics Change to summoned minions, etc

Phantastic Hero

Terrarian
So we all know that summoner class is boring. Not much to do right? All you ever have to do is to click your mouse a few times and you are good for the rest of the battle.

So my suggestion is that your minions can die. Enemies do not target your minions but if somehow they get in the way, they take damage. Example: stardust dragon health: 1000 (1 minion).

This mechanic makes the player actually do something in the battle instead of just running around until the boss is killed.

Another thing I want to change is the summoning. We all know that we can spawn 3 minions already without a minion exclusive armor. But that isn't fair. Minions should only be used by the summoning class. So I came up with a change.

When you summon a minion, you get a cooldown. Much like health potions (and I assume I don't have to explain what this means). Wearing minion armor reduces the cooldown. So you can spam your minions whenever you need to spawn a new one.

It could make it actually boring, unnecessary and make it very weak. Making summoner very pointless.

I don't know what you mean by making it boring. And you can buff the damage and stuff. Plus, doing this doesn't actually make the summoner class weak, it just gives them more characteristics than before.
[doublepost=1498354685,1498354573][/doublepost]And you are saying this is pointless. But how many times have you seen people play melee/range/magic classes with minions? A lot.

what do you mean by that? Do you mean that summoner class is hard to play?
Technically, compared to other classes, summoned minions deal very, VERY low damage. The stardust dragon minion is end-game and only deals 40 damage. The slime staff is extremely rare and deals 9 damage.

Technically, compared to other classes, summoned minions deal very, VERY low damage. The stardust dragon minion is end-game and only deals 40 damage. The slime staff is extremely rare and deals 9 damage.
I wasn't talking about a summoner playthrough, where you can only summoner items. I'm talking about minions in general when you combine with other non-summoner items. If you combine solar flare armor, terrarian, stardust dragon, and minion potion & minion buff. You are set for life.

And it is a possibility to increase the damage on the minions a bit.

Ever watched a full Summoner playthrough? (I recommend Cane, by the way. His playthrough is absolutely amazing.)

It is hard to do only Summoner damage, but if you combine it with any decent Ranged weapon (I often did this when I did a Summoner playthrough) it becomes amazing.

It actually all comes down to understanding how the class works. The Minions are very versatile, and that's not even mentioning how fast they wreck events.

I wasn't talking about a summoner playthrough, where you can only summoner items. I'm talking about minions in general when you combine with other non-summoner items. If you combine solar flare armor, terrarian, stardust dragon, and minion potion & minion buff. You are set for life.

And it is a possibility to increase the damage on the minions a bit.
I know, but I'd rather stick to my melee based armor than switch it to spider armor or whatever.
Ever watched a full Summoner playthrough? (I recommend Cane, by the way. His playthrough is absolutely amazing.)

It is hard to do only Summoner damage, but if you combine it with any decent Ranged weapon (I often did this when I did a Summoner playthrough) it becomes amazing.

It actually all comes down to understanding how the class works. The Minions are very versatile, and that's not even mentioning how fast they wreck events.
I really like this strategy, and it helps to summon my twin minions and frost hydra sentry when in battle.

Summoner is not boring. It's not a 'click to summon' and leave it at that. The versatility of summons means you can combine your playstyle with melee, ranged or magic by varying your armour, weapons and/or accessories. You'll never be as powerful as a 'pure' melee/ranged/magic player, but you can deal a little extra damage to help your minions out.

Since the majority of minions rely on contact to inflict damage, I'm in agreement with @amenyoussef that the changes as currently suggested would be unfair. 1000 HP for the best summon would result in it dying in 4-5 hits. Many enemies at the end game (even in Normal mode) can hit for 100+ points of damage with Solar Flare armour.

Summoner is not boring. It's not a 'click to summon' and leave it at that. The versatility of summons means you can combine your playstyle with melee, ranged or magic by varying your armour, weapons and/or accessories. You'll never be as powerful as a 'pure' melee/ranged/magic player, but you can deal a little extra damage to help your minions out.

Since the majority of minions rely on contact to inflict damage, I'm in agreement with @amenyoussef that the changes as currently suggested would be unfair. 1000 HP for the best summon would result in it dying in 4-5 hits. Many enemies at the end game (even in Normal mode) can hit for 100+ points of damage with Solar Flare armour.
1000 health was an example. the numbers can change if we need to.
I really like this strategy, and it helps to summon my twin minions and frost hydra sentry when in battle.
The point is to make it so that minions aren't frequently used by non-summoner classes. The cooldown makes it so that you can't summon your minions right after drinking minion potion or whatever.
[doublepost=1499398858,1499398723][/doublepost]
Summoner is not boring.
How many people here have summoner armor equpied on their main character right now? Most people will say they have solar flare armor. . .(maybe)

Dude summoner is weak as it is, all the changes you are saying are for people that play melee, magic or ranger with a dash of summoner the people that play pure summoner would be gutted if that were to happen, summoners have the lowest armor lowest possible dmg out put and no ability to heal all boss figths for summoners are prepare buffs to encounter boss prepare hotbar for sentries and teleport staff summon boss and run around dodging like it's a bullet hell game where a single shot kills you while minions do very little dmg, I love playing pure summoner but by the time I get to hardmode summoner is already dead and there is no point in going down that route when magic does more dmg and has more armour ranger is faster so all the dodge skills maxed while playing summoner shine like the sun or well we all know how broken melee is and this is coming from a guy that decided to do the no attack challenge (started a world with slime staff and went all the way to moon lord with out a single swing of any weapon, died more times than I can count on that char)

I don't get it, so instead of summoner dodging attacks and spawning minions..

they dodge attacks and spawn more minions?

you've identified the problem, but you haven't given a proper solution that solves it.

Back
Top Bottom