Childhood Games: The ones that defined you

1. Pokemon Crystal. What a great influence my aunt had on me, I turned the game on and there was a file named "Asswipe"
2. Need For Speed HP2 or UG2 for PS2

I beat HP2 when I was 6 i think, beat UG2 when I was 13 (discovered Supra is best drag car)

3. Legendary Dog Encounter. I never expected it and when I was so little the theme startled me and I dropped the game every time.

I only remember playing some sort of black-and-white version of Tetris on a Huge clunky PC with a giant fat TV monitor...

The first ever game I played was Halo: comabt evolved when I was 4 years old. The second game I played was Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, when I was 5 or 6. Then I played Star Wars: Republic commando.
Now that I think about it, I played a lot of FPS games when I was young.
And I can't remember any songs from games.

Good God this took me sooo long to get properly formatted and posted. :merchantsad: Blasted media tag limit...

Great games that defined my childhood:

Road Rash: Jailbreak (introduced me much later to Celldweller's music)
Golden Sun 1 (ignore the latest one, it never existed.)
Suikoden IV (That THEME!! And sailing...)
Final Fantasy X (my first FF- And that, as they say, is that.)
Crash Bandicoot series (and Crash Team Racing!!)
Dark Cloud 2 (And the fishing!!)
S.L.A.I. (great game no one ever played. Best choice of tracks you'll likely ever see in one game. Just... look up how many tracks they let you play during your fights. Srsly.)
Dynasty Warriors (and all its clones)
Romance of the 3 Kingdoms 8 (I would pay to play this one more time...)

But the game that changed everything for me?

The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind

I didn't like it at first, and dropped it for a few months. But I tried again, and once I put aside everything I knew about games (mostly action, non-stat RPGs) and got to explore the world, I really feel in love with videogames and the world they could build. The story, the history of the world, the pure alien-ness of the landscape and the things you see (Why walk when you can ride?), the things you could do and learn if you just scratched under the surface... I smile remembering it. Just forget about the cliff racers. No one wants to talk about those cliff racers... Lol.

In second on importance scale, I'd say Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic 1 (Kotor) and Legend of Dragoon for actually making me care characters that died (Laaaavvvviiitttzzz!!!) and character relationships/redemption (Carth!), with LoD having a slight advantage just for Lavish and having 4 (!) discs. Oh, and FF IX should be in Honorable Mentions here of importance for the same reason. My FAVORITE Final Fantasy!

Tunes of my Past:

Dark Cloud 2: Rainbow Butterfly Woods:

Three from Dynasty Warriors:
Dynasty Warriors 3: Sacred Ground (Another Best of Game Music in my opinion. One of the hardest battles in the game, and I played it over and over again for fun and would often just pause for the badassness of this track)
Lu Bu Themes (If you ever played any Dynasty Warriors game, you knew a cut scene that involved a guy with a silly bunny-ear-like headdress on a red horse with a halberd throwing some poor peasants off Hu Lao Gate with a sudden change in music meant that you spun your badass hero on its heel and ran away as fast as you possibly could. Its... Its... LU BU!)
From DW 3:
From DW 4:
Bonus: Why you run from Lu Bu (and never attack his girlfriend...)

Legend of Dragoon Theme by Elsa Ray, If You Still Believe:

Suikoden IV Theme (Beware-- EXTREMELY CATCHY!, one of best game themes I've ever heard)

Final Fantasy X has THREE major tracks for me:
Seymour Flux Battle Theme: Challenge (I twitch, tense and grind my teeth every time I hear this theme. Good God, I hated that boss fight so, so much.)
Mt. Gagazet (just plain amazing, would buy. Up with Suikoden IV theme as best game music I've ever heard in 20+ years of gaming)
Movement in Green (up with Mt. Gagazet in gaming music love)

The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind Theme: (Also one of the best Game Music's of All Time, always reminds me of exploring and the vastness of Morrowind/Vvardenfell)

Last edited:
1. Blinx 2, Masters of Time and Space
I ain't kidding. I played it when i was 6, and i always imagined i was a secret hero, travelling in time
2. Majora's Mask. It was both awesome, and influencal
3. Sky Castle theme. I loved it!
Just to note i got the original XBox first, and then the PS2 and the N64

Earthworm, :red:ING, Jim
Crash Team Racing
OH... Now I remember. THIS. GREAT. STUFF. OF. HEAVEN.
Holy SHHHHNAP I LOVED IT

also this game where you controlled these little elemental spirit guys, and there was an ice guy who could freeze over lakes and stuff... I only remember playing it when I was in Las Vegas.
Also, Chrono Trigger was cool.

As for music? Ummmmm... hmmmm...
THIS :red: CANNOT BE FORGOTTEN. The first one had a good OST, but this one is a tad better, music wise.

Sorry for nostalgia burst

1) U.B. Funkeys. It was pretty much the first Skylanders, except it was far less forgiving on obtaining figures. You needed pretty much every single figure to complete it, and I had them all (except for three, but one of those was an SDCC exclusive, and wasn't required). Spent over $500 dollars on them over 2 years, but, dear god, they were worth their weight in gold to me. It's also pretty crappy looking back on it now (most of its content consisted of mini-games that each figure unlocks in their respective zone, most of which are clones of normal games like Breakout & Galaxia), but it was the absolute bomb for me when I was 7.

2) The original 2 Super Mario Bros. games. Every Thanksgiving, me & my dad would play the original Super Mario Bros., although I was not good enough to get past very many levels. I wasn't very good at Super Mario Bros. 2 either, but I was better than at 1.

3) The background theme for Magma Falls, one of the very first zones you go to in U.B. Funkeys. It's creepy and gives off a hellish vibe, but it resonated with me.

SHAMELESS PLUG: I'm actually selling my entire collection of U.B Funkeys on ebay right now, if you want them, and have a soft-spot for them like I do. Search Mattel U.B. Funkeys Collection (Almost all figures), and it should pop up. Might not show up for a while yet, though, as I recently revised it with extra pictures.

Last edited:
1. New Super Mario Bros, on the DS
2. Lego Star Wars 1 and 2 on the PS2
3. Mario and Luigi, Bowser's Inside Story

What can I say? New Super Mario Bros was the first time I ever got to the end of a game, and got everything there is. All the star coins, and the backgrounds. Plus when I beat Bowser at the end, it made me feel so accomplished.

Lego Star Wars 1 and 2 made me feel like I had some sort of control over the game, and finding secret areas made me feel like I discovered something others hadn't. Both will remain as some of the best games I've ever played. Never did buy complete saga, because I had one and two already, so I said "what's the point of buying games you already have?"

Mario and Luigi, Bowser's Inside Story, pushed me to the brink of defeat with their final boss. I always yelled at myself when I couldn't do it, because it was too hard. At last, when I found the secret was damaging his belly, I thought I did it. But nope. I died again. So I spent each day leveling up, getting to around level 75 for each of them, both in the highest level areas, the airway, and fawful peach castle. I worked my way to such high levels. Then I did it one day, I was able to suck up fawful from dark bowser with the vacuum, and I exploded with happiness. I beat him inside with Mario and Luigi, and remember the whole end to this day. This was the true feeling of victory to me, a giant game, with alot of skill to beat the final enemy. I felt so accomplished :D

I had, once again, completely forgot I made this thread. anyway,
2) The original 2 Super Mario Bros. games. Every Thanksgiving, me & my dad would play the original Super Mario Bros., although I was not good enough to get past very many levels. I wasn't very good at Super Mario Bros. 2 either, but I was better than at 1.
Now, I'm going to assume you mean the one set in Subcon where you can play as four characters, but just in case you don't, when you say 'Original 2' do you mean The Lost Levels?

Mario and Luigi, Bowser's Inside Story, pushed me to the brink of defeat with their final boss. I always yelled at myself when I couldn't do it, because it was too hard. At last, when I found the secret was damaging his belly, I thought I did it. But nope. I died again. So I spent each day leveling up, getting to around level 75 for each of them, both in the highest level areas, the airway, and fawful peach castle. I worked my way to such high levels. Then I did it one day, I was able to suck up fawful from dark bowser with the vacuum, and I exploded with happiness. I beat him inside with Mario and Luigi, and remember the whole end to this day. This was the true feeling of victory to me, a giant game, with alot of skill to beat the final enemy. I felt so accomplished :D

Whoa, wait a minute, you couldn't beat him until you were level 75? I know for sure I was under Level 40 the first several times I fought him, but eventually I went ahead and got just to 40 for Rainbow Rank and Final Boss Rank, but it never gave me enough trouble to really need to.

I had, once again, completely forgot I made this thread. anyway,

Now, I'm going to assume you mean the one set in Subcon where you can play as four characters, but just in case you don't, when you say 'Original 2' do you mean The Lost Levels?

Whoa, wait a minute, you couldn't beat him until you were level 75? I know for sure I was under Level 40 the first several times I fought him, but eventually I went ahead and got just to 40 for Rainbow Rank and Final Boss Rank, but it never gave me enough trouble to really need to.

I couldn't hit the button for "vacuum" fast enough. Not only that but I didn't figure out his weak point (belly) until I did an accidental press on the down button on the D-Pad when targeting. Plus it took me a day to grind at least ONE level once you get to level 60 and higher. Thats 12 hours+ of grinding levels in the highest level enemies place. However by then, I was doing so much damage, all I had to do was punch an enemy and they would die.

EDIT: By then, I could one shot the final phase of fawful with mario and luigi using their ultimate special attack, super star I think it was called. Yes, you heard me, ONE SHOT!

I couldn't hit the button for "vacuum" fast enough. Not only that but I didn't figure out his weak point (belly) until I did an accidental press on the down button on the D-Pad when targeting. Plus it took me a day to grind at least ONE level once you get to level 60 and higher. Thats 12 hours+ of grinding levels in the highest level enemies place. However by then, I was doing so much damage, all I had to do was punch an enemy and they would die.
Ha, I had a similar goof when I was younger. in Superstar Saga, I didn't realize how you were supposed to fight Queen Bean, so I hammered her over and over again for 1 damage until she died. When I realized in another playthrough that you could target her arms and jump on them to deflate them both, which then made her crown fall off so you could jump on her head and actually hurt her, I remembered all the time wasted.

This is going to sound kinda weird, but my first video game ever, and a true work of art; Sponge Bob the Movie the Video Game for the gamecube XD. It's such a good game even though the subject matter is sponge bob, and I recently just dusted off my gamecube and replayed it.

This is going to sound kinda weird, but my first video game ever, and a true work of art; Sponge Bob the Movie the Video Game for the gamecube XD. It's such a good game even though the subject matter is sponge bob, and I recently just dusted off my gamecube and replayed it.
I remember that game. It's still around here somewhere. It never really seemed better than Battle for Bikini Bottom, but it definitely wasn't bad.

1) Crash Bandicoot. Literally I play all of the games of this franchise but the later ones, because most of us can agree that Naughty Dog was the top dog and Sierra/Blizzard only screwed it up.
2) Doom. Some of you can recognize that game just by it's name, it's the famous first person shooter that was started in 1993.
3) Crash Team Racing's ending music, the best tune I ever heard between all of the games I played.
4) I always played these games on my PS1. Those weird moments and feelings back then just feel so amazing, that moment when you hold your controller and rush through the game, and completing it is count as a huge achievement. Some of you should really go on and try Doom and Crash Bandicoot, they aren't famous without a reason.

1) Crash Bandicoot. Literally I play all of the games of this franchise but the later ones, because most of us can agree that Naughty Dog was the top dog and Sierra/Blizzard only screwed it up.
2) Doom. Some of you can recognize that game just by it's name, it's the famous first person shooter that was started in 1993.
3) Crash Team Racing's ending music, the best tune I ever heard between all of the games I played.
4) I always played these games on my PS1. Those weird moments and feelings back then just feel so amazing, that moment when you hold your controller and rush through the game, and completing it is count as a huge achievement. Some of you should really go on and try Doom and Crash Bandicoot, they aren't famous without a reason.
Doom. I love Doom. Doom, Doom Doom. Don't even get me started on Doom. I've played it and II so many times with GZDoom, and all those cool wads you can find on Doom forums. I even like Doom 3. Doom 4's E3 made me go :red:ing ballistic and I want it now.

A couple that I played endlessly as a child:

Rugrats game on GBC

Crash Bandicoot on PSX

Super Mario Advance 2 for the GBA

Pokemon Ruby for the GBA

Earthworm, :red:ING, Jim
Crash Team Racing
OH... Now I remember. THIS. GREAT. STUFF. OF. HEAVEN.
Holy SHHHHNAP I LOVED IT

also this game where you controlled these little elemental spirit guys, and there was an ice guy who could freeze over lakes and stuff... I only remember playing it when I was in Las Vegas.
Also, Chrono Trigger was cool.

As for music? Ummmmm... hmmmm...
THIS :red: CANNOT BE FORGOTTEN. The first one had a good OST, but this one is a tad better, music wise.

Sorry for nostalgia burst

Pokemon snap wasn't that bad. You are in your mid to late twenties.

Me, I was a big fan of Final Fantasy 2 (IV in Japan) and Terraria was a huge nostalgia trip for me. Final Fantasy IV characters in a 2D platformer? Epic. I was, and still am, sold.

I hope that younger generations give the SNES era a go. It's when games started getting good, after that awful Atari/pong/asteroids/NES horse :red:. Don't get me wrong, Ralph Baer was a badass. Read up noobies.

Pokemon snap wasn't that bad. You are in your mid to late twenties.

Me, I was a big fan of Final Fantasy 2 (IV in Japan) and Terraria was a huge nostalgia trip for me. Final Fantasy IV characters in a 2D platformer? Epic. I was, and still am, sold.

I hope that younger generations give the SNES era a go. It's when games started getting good, after that awful Atari/pong/asteroids/NES horse :red:. Don't get me wrong, Ralph Baer was a badass. Read up noobies.
I really do wish I had a SNES way back when. We really didn't have enough Genesis games that I cared about, and having a NES and an N64 would obviously have made me biased. So far I've loved Super Mario World, Final Fantasy III (VI) Super Mario RPG, Super Castlevania IV, A Link To The Past, Chrono Trigger and more a lot more than any Genesis game. Although the one I find myself playing over and over and over again is Super Metroid. Goddamn I love Super Metroid.

Back
Top Bottom