Childhood Games: The ones that defined you

Pokemon Sapphire just fills me with nostalgia.

Though the truly childhood-defining game for me has to be Maplestory. Back when the community was actually good...

i really liked the SNES, so:
super mario world
donkey kong country
yoshi's island

i loved it every time to put the cardridge in the console.

...showing my age here:

LODE RUNNER. Spent a long time on that game. It was the first game to have a level editor and is the forefather of many sandbox/block games. Terraria reminds me of it so much.

EMU JOUST. An Oz clone of the famous JOUST game. Too much fun.

NOTE: I played Lode Runner on a Microbee PC - a computer made before the IBM model that we have today became so popular. The screen was amber. The game came on a cassette tape which had to be played to be loaded. Every time you wanted to play it you had to wait 30 minutes for the tape to load usually only to suffer an error at the end. :red2:Later I got it on a giant floppy disk. Yay.

I would also listen to my Kraftwerk discography as I built my own levels. Total nerd fest! Those memories are a lot fonder for me than the ones of playing rugby :p

Legend of Zelda, The Wind Waker is without a doubt, My top choice. Over the course of the eight years I've had the game, I've beaten the game at least twenty five times. (Twice on HD version, I do prefer the GCB version though). I'm honestly surprised this out-lived the lifetime of my Paper Mario TTYD disc. (TTYD disc now occasionally fails to be read and pulls up the error screen)

This was the first game in the series I had ever played, And since then I've been hooked on the Zelda franchise.

Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door would be my second choice, It did sadden me a little when I eventually tried Paper Mario 64, I realized how similar both games were. (meaning TTYD could be viewed as just a republish), But even knowing that I'd still be willing to play that game to this day.

1) R-Type for Game Boy was the first ever game I played for myself. Up until then, I'd just watch my brother and sister play games (sister on Game Boy, brother on PC). The R-Type series in general really shaped me as I grew up. Delta was probably the most influential, even though I was in high school by the time that came around and I was out of my formative years, but if it weren't for the Game Boy one, I wouldn't have seen it in the store and went "Whoa, that boss from that game I played a lot as a kid! He looks AWESOME now!!" R-Types came out at around the same time, so I also got to scratch the itch of playing the full version rather than the truncated/simplified GB one, and I NEVER beat them because I am actually TERRIBLE at R-Type games.

2) Honorable mention goes to Heiankyo Alien (also for Game Boy), which I also played a lot of, and influenced my worldbuilding a lot as I chipped away, for years, at a legitimate explanation for why an alien race capable of space travel could be tricked by a guy with a shovel. I spent so much time worldbuilding for them that they have an honorable corner of my headworld despite not actually being mine. Also, for being one of my most-fanarted games in the shadows, when most people don't even know it exists (it's very obscure unless you're into Japanese gaming historica).

2.5) Also honorable mention goes to Mega Man X, for being the game with the fandom that spurred me into taking art seriously.

3) Although I grew up loving game music, I think the first one I ever actually loved so much that I would just turn the game on to listen to it was the opening to "Shanghai" for Game Boy. You know, that old Mahjong Solitaire game? Yeah. I dunno, I loved its title screen song as a kid. It's such an obscure song that it's almost impossible to find an example of it online, the only video I can find that shows it off is this one. It's a VERY short loop, the video cuts barely a second off the end before starting the game, but yeah. That song. I could listen to it for ages when I was young.

I MADE MY OWN VIDEO OF IT somehow I had a recording of the song lying around. From 2004. I don't even know how but there it is.

It's really hard to pick out any over the others because of how much game music I adored. Anything from Mega Man X/2 to Super Mario RPG to Tetris Attack. Oh man, Tetris Attack. Gosh, I really could go on forever, couldn't I?

4) I make a lot of references to the Game Boy forming the basis of my gaming life, but I never actually owned one (the original one, at least). I mostly watched my sister play hers, and most of the games weren't even hers, they belonged to her friends/boyfriends. I eventually 'inherited' most of those cartridges (she never returned them and eventually handed them all off to me when she stopped playing games). I spent most of my time playing on other people's consoles (which meant a lot of Sonic, actually, since most of my friends had Geneses), either my friends' or cousins', until I finally got a SNES of my own, near the end of the SNES' lifespan, and since my parents rarely bought me games, a lot of it subsisted on Blockbuster rentals. Most of my early gaming prior and parallel to that, Game Boy aside, was on my dad's PC, with games like Lemmings (ALSO a big formative one), Math Blaster, Math Rescue, Super Munchers, SimAnt, Prince of Persia, Raptor: Call of the Shadows, and Mechwarrior/II.

Last edited:
Sonic The Hedgehog. First video game I can remember playing.
Heroes of Might and Magic III. Most played game in my childhood.
Starlight Zone's BGM. I love it.
Note: Been gaming since I was 2 years old when my daddy bought me a Sega Genesis for my birthday with Sonic The Hedgehog. Oh my goodness I had such fun fun playing it.

I'm not very old, but I played The first Mario games (1, 2, , World and Lost Levels), the first Sonic games (1, 2, 3 & Knuckles, 3D Blast, Chaos, 1 MS), TLoZ A Link to the Past, the SNES Megamans (and Megaman X1, X2, X3) and others games. I'm not oldschool, I played these in a PS2 through Sonic Mega Collection Plus and a random SNES emulator. When I got older, I played a lot of the first Megamans (1, 2, 3). Well, I'm 13, so everything probably count lel.

Edit: I played a lot of SNES Mario Kart and the GBA Pokémons too.

Ahhh, star fox adventures, best thing i ever played for a while when i was young(er), good puzzles, great graphics at the time, somewhat good story, memories.....

The one and only game that shaped my childhood was

Rollercoaster Tycoon

Yes, really. (The original one of course)

I never charged for bathrooms. I never made an unfriendly park.
Well..i did like tossing people into lakes. And watching them drown.
But hey, they were complaining about my very high valued park!
They deserved death!
ALL OF THEM

KILL KILL KILL
MAIM STAB

I have quite a few I can think of, but I have a few that I can definitely say are my favorites. my favorite thing to do in games is explore. the same can be said about me a decade ago.

-Banjo Kazooie BEHOLD: the game that introduced me into gaming

-Super Mario 64 BEHOLD: the other game that introduced me to gaming

-Super Mario Sunshine: what can I say? I liked mario 64, and then I played this game and absolutely loved it. even to this day, the depth of each world amazed me.

-Smash Bros Melee: fun fact about this one, when I originally picked it out, I thought it was Soul Caliber 2, because I saw link on the cover of the box. I played a demo of Soul Caliber 2 in the store the same day. I'm glad it turned out to be melee instead, because even though I really liked Soul Caliber, I liked melee a million times more.

-Super Mario Bros. 2: was one of the first games I owned.

-Starcraft: The first Computer game I ever played.

-Donkey Kong country: this one is just chock full of good memories, I remember playing this for hours on end.

Quite simply, thread to name the game that WAS your childhood, and one that could still bring memories of good times and tears of lost innocence.
BONUS: Name a second game that was quite influential but not as much as the first.
BONUS: Name a tune from game number one that causes you to remember.
BONUS: give a note that you think is significant, mine as an example.
Alright, my turn;

Super Mario 64. I love that game, and I always will. I didn't have Ocarina or Majora's Mask or anything like that, in fact the only Zelda game I ever played as a kid was II.

Second: Super Mario Bros. 3. So much time lost trying to finish it, so many memories, just not as much as 64.

Tune: Staff Roll from Super Mario 64. The credits always make me think of truest victory.

Note: I did not have a SNES and never played one, but I had a Genesis. I love so many of the games that were on the SNES today, even without nostalgia glasses, that I wonder how different my experience would be if I DID have one back then.
Back in the day I really liked Minecraft, I got me through some tough times in my life, in mostly 7th grade, and yes dear lord (All the writing, patience, quizzes, etc), it got me through a lot of BS at school mostly =/. But Minecraft wasn't as good as Terraria. I founded out the game was aviable on the PS3 in 2013, and I said to my self "Pfff, this ain't no Minecraft on PS3!" I watched about three tailor's, and thought to my self "Oh jeez! I need to buy this!!!" So I bought it on my PS3 for about $9.99, and found out that most of the features on the game are on the PC. So I stopped playing it for a certain amount of time, for about a year, and later on I bought the PC version so I don't feel "Left out." Lol. What reminds of a game mostly is the sound effect of Super Mario Bro's (The one published in 2012 on the Wii) I let me had a lot of fun times with my two friends, and sister's. We were basically like a gang, and felt awesome. But later on over the past few years, one of them had to move to Arizona for a job, and my other friend is some what to busy, he's in Opera, and well basically wants to do everything in his life to improve others lives (Of course not in the Military). Back then it made me feel smart, and cool, and allowed me to enjoy my life =).

For me it was nfs underground. That game got me into cars for life (untasteful yes).

My second choice was indeed legend of zelda ocarina of time. Until I hit the water temple. Then I passed that. Now as an 7 year old the dark temple was not a good memory for me lol but I iked exploring alot :)

Tune from NSF underground had to be either:
. (Hotwire-invisible)
Or
(story of the year-hero will drown)

From OOT it would be the fire temple, or shadow ganon theme IMO.

Extra notes: OOT got me into nerdy stuff for life, and possibly led me to terraria. And nods underground is the reason why I can look at a car and know what it is (about 90% of the time)

Well the first one was dark cloud 1 (and his sucesor "2") for the PS2 because was really epic even his music was awesome and memorable.
Second one: is spy hunter boy that game at first was very difficult to finish even with was only 12 levels :v
The soundtrack or whatever from the game (the dark cloud intro):

Alright, now it's my turn:

Tekken was my game of childhood. Oh boy, I like fighting games because of The King of Iron Fist Tournament. I played mainly Tekken 2 and 3 back in time. Today I can say I played nearly every Tekken game (Tekken Tag Tournament 2, we will meet, hopefully soon...)

Next one was Crash Bandicoot. I love this series. When I was a kid i had only Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped. Good ol' times.

From NES games I pick Tank 1990, Lunar Ball, Galaga and Ice Climber. Playing NES games with others was a lot funnier.

Other games that I enjoyed when I was younger was: London Racer World Challenge, Little Fighter 2, Warblade and Bubble Bobble.

Thats all for now. Summarizing, Tekken is probably the best series I met in my life (I'm still playing it :naughty:).

First and foremost would have to be Karnov, released for the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1987 during my childhood. Jinborov Karnovski is a hero.
The original Dead Rising game released in 2006 during my childhood was also excellent for being my very first dive into the ultraviolent open world genre. Grand Theft Auto was for casuals, Frank West was a real man.

Time to be that hipster pony.
Crono trigger snes
Legend of zelda, a link to the past snes
Legend of mana ps1
And can't forget about my DEF JAM 2 FIGHT FOR NEW YORK PS2!!! Seriously it's a sweet fighter that's also hilariously terrible go try it.

Pokémon Diamond. I believe it was my first "true" game which spawned a life a playing video games.

Two tunes I always remeber are the Team Galactic Grunt battle theme (see avatar, unless I changed it) and the route of the way to Snowpoint City, can't remeber the name.

Back
Top Bottom