Childhood Games: The ones that defined you

nope
I got my pkmn snap for Wii Virtual Console, Boiii! I'm 14. I think. YUP NOW I REMEMBER
Oh good, then read up on Ralph Baer. He really was a pioneer in gaming. It's also really cool that younger gamers can try out some classics on virtual console and/or emulation.

Legends of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Though I ended up never getting past the first dungeon because I'm not good at it, I still loved it.
Oh Nintendo, you are the greatest there ever will be.

1. Metroid Zero Mission is that one that defined me. It is probably what caused me to seek out games of a similar atmosphere and Metroidvania gameplay. I still play it frequently to this day. Not sure how much it influenced my love of JRPGs, but considering it has similar themes with upgrading your character, it probably had some influence.
  2. Any number of games could fit here. I think the classic Atari Arcade games like Tempest, Centipede and Asteroids that I played from the very young age of 6+ got me in the mindset of always trying to improve your High-Score through training from hell and perseverance which is why most modern games today don't seem very difficult. Games like Super Mario 64 and Banjo & Kazooie also molded a love of exploring various game worlds.
  3. This theme represents Metroid to me, and the thrill of entering deeper underground areas in games to find harder stone, stronger enemies, and better powerups.
  4. For my note, I never owned any home consoles until I was 12 or 13 and got a Gamecube. The only way I was able to play Nintendo 64 games was through going to friend's places. I got a GBA when I was around 9 or 10 which came with Zero Mission. Thankfully with Emulation, I've been able to play a few classics from the NES and SNES era.
Not sure how obscure the Classic Atari games may be considered since I've never heard anyone talk about them, but it could be because of this that I also play several obscure games that many people haven't heard of. Playing Visual Novels from Nitroplus and Visual Novel RPG hybrids that were made around a decade ago, but localized into english recently in the past few years possibly are part of that.

1. Donkey Kong Country 2, I had it on my GBA SP and played it from a very early age. Unfortunately though I lost the cartridge, so whenever I want to play it I just emulate it.
2. I guess this would have to be Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap. It was the first Zelda game I ever completed.
3. Is this even a question? Stickerbrush Symphony of course. Also Forest Interlude, I like that a lot.
4. The GBA SP was the first game console I ever owned, and DKC2 was the first game I ever owned. It might have even been the first game I ever played.

Last edited:
What games from my childhood that define me...that's quite a long list but a few that stood out to me was Pitfall!. Wasting my evening on a 7800 Atari playing that game was a staple of my childhood. Then I started playing the original Zelda. I put so much time in that game that I about forgot what I was supposed to be doing in it. As a teen, Turok was my go to title as it was a very awesome game (shame it's sequels, 2 and 3 slowly killed it for me). Then more recently I played the sims 3 (2011-2013) it was the game I learned modding and retextures. I've played video games nearly my whole life but this is just a few come to my mind when I think about it.

Quite simply, thread to name the game that WAS your childhood, and one that could still bring memories of good times and tears of lost innocence.
BONUS: Name a second game that was quite influential but not as much as the first.
BONUS: Name a tune from game number one that causes you to remember.
BONUS: give a note that you think is significant, mine as an example.

1: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2. On top of being one of my first games, it also got me into the music I love today.
2: Altered Beast. It made me a masochist I got my patience with games that are brutally hard.
3: Any song off the soundtrack of THPS2 takes me back. I'll go with this one though, because I used to play the game just to jam out to this song when I was like 5 or 6.

Back
Top Bottom