Official Console 1.3 Update Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the biggest tasks a Terraria player do is item management, transferring items between Inventory and Chests. Unfortunately that has gotten a bit slow and clunky with the 1.3 update. While you can use the Transfer button (X/Square) to quickly transfer an item, you won't have any control where the item is placed. So to have full control you will have to drag an item to its destination across an offset boundary that makes it harder to navigate.

In the old version by Engine you could switch between Inventory and Chest just by changing 'tabs' (with each tab remembering the position of the cursor), making it possible to transfer items very quickly with full control.

My suggestion is that you do something similar. When pressing LB/L1 when a Chest is open, instead of 'tabbing' to the Crafting menu, 'tab' to the Chest first. By using LB/L1 and RB/R1 you could quickly jump between Inventory and Chest. The last cursor position in each should be preserved, instead of reseting to the top left corner.

Doing this would make it possible to transfer items very quickly with full control over it's placement.

@Loki @ClearConscious What do you think?

1.3 has caused quite a few issues for us when we play multiplayer. Singleplayer seems fine though

Here are the MP issues we have from the clients perspective

- A pre-read note: We don't have any of these issues in other games in general, unless it was a bug in that particular game, our network is solid. We play MP on PC, X1, PS4 and Switch, and if we did have network issues we would experience them all over the place. We have played it on 3 different PS4's and the results are the same.

-When I disconnect from the host, my last world is overwritten, which sucks because I lost a 40 hour world :(
-The UI is hard to read if your TV is 40 inches or less, on the PC you can scale the UI. Can we please get a UI scaling option? Even on my 65" TV the UI can be tedious read, not everyone has the same quality eye sight.
- Lots of rubber banding on the client, we have our TVs side by side so I can see the host has no rubber banding while I do. For example the boss on my screen was not in the same position on the hosts screen, but when I hit it seemed to rubber band even more.
- When you kill an enemy it isn't replicated to the host so you keep killing it over and over until it's gone.
- Enemies go through walls, this might be a rubber banding issue, but it is very annoying.
- Enemies vanish out right, you'll be watching an enemy and it will completely vanish
- Constant disconnects, sometimes we'll play for an hour or 10 mins and the client gets booted. I am not sure what triggers that to happen if it's something on the clients end that the host doesn't like.
- After disconnecting and join the host again on the same map, it seems to read the local version that was copied to my world saves instead of getting a fresh one from the host. It also doesn't display correctly for me either https://i.imgur.com/PpnrEbt.jpg this is what I see in MP.

User experience feedback:

I don't know why the PC UI was chosen as the default. I liked the console UI it made sense for the console and was easy to read and use.

For example not seeing all the recipes makes it annoying to have to check the wiki all the time to see what I can make. Yes I know I can use the guide but that is a very clunky way. Seeing the recipes of what you can make promotes the player to want to build more because they can see all the things they can build, which pushes them to explore more. I know it was a "bug" but it was a good bug.

Can we have a feature please to be able to assign things to the Dpad for quick selection? I thought it was a feature but I can't find anything in the menu or on screen when I am in the inventory menu.

Or if you hold down a button you can have a selection wheel with the items in your action bar, and then select the item with the thumb stick. It would make it easy to select things bring up wheel, flick stick in direction and thing selected, much faster then press L2/R2

Over all 1.3 is fun, but these bugs in MP create a very disappointing experience, I do not know how the patch was shipped with technical issues of this level. Does Sony not test patches any more? A few MP tests would've seen these issues and rejected it instantly. I make games for a living I've seen lesser bugs be called out by Sony.

Last edited:
Can we have a feature please to be able to assign things to the Dpad for quick selection? I thought it was a feature but I can't find anything in the menu or on screen when I am in the inventory menu.
That's the d-pad hotbar under the controller settings. You have to enable it, it's not set by default.

Or if you hold down a button you can have a selection wheel with the items in your action bar, and then select the item with the thumb stick. It would make it easy to select things bring up wheel, flick stick in direction and thing selected, much faster then press L2/R2.
The PC version has a radial hotbar that was added after 1.3 so we may get that in a later patch.

When pressing LB/L1 when a Chest is open, instead of 'tabbing' to the Crafting menu, 'tab' to the Chest first.

Eh, I could see it both ways. Personally, I have adapted to it now that I am several hours in (right about to take on WoF..... finishing prettying up my hellivator first though). Even to the point of knowing how many tab taps in each direction I need to get to what I want. Not saying it is a bad idea by any means - just bigger fish to fry first by far (looks again at transparency-on-zoom).

The PC version has a radial hotbar that was added after 1.3 so we may get that in a later patch.

Personally, would love to see this as well.

When I disconnect from the host, my last world is overwritten, which sucks because I lost a 40 hour world

Known bug, being fixed hopefully in the next update. There is a workaround on the FAQ in the meantime. Sorry for the world loss. :(

-The UI is hard to read if your TV is 40 inches or less, on the PC you can scale the UI. Can we please get a UI scaling option? Even on my 65" TV the UI can be tedious read, not everyone has the same quality eye sight.

UI scaling was added to PC in 1.3.5 - so hopefully at some point, yeah. If you are playing with any sort of zoom right now, know that it will wreak havoc with UI transparency. Pushing for that fix in the next wave (after the current one)

- When you kill an enemy it isn't replicated to the host so you keep killing it over and over until it's gone

Been looking into this one lately - hopefully something can be found.

For example not seeing all the recipes makes it annoying to have to check the wiki all the time to see what I can make

To be clear - the actual design intent was never for players to have all recipes up front. That was a decision made by Engine on their own. As a game of discovery and exploration, the idea was always to take stuff to the Guide to see what is possible ("oh I got an item that says 'Material' - I wonder what I can make?!") - beyond that, craft from chest makes it possible to see tons of stuff all at once, even before and without moving it to your inventory. I get that it is an adjustment. given what console had before... but this is not coming back. Sorry.

these bugs in MP create a very disappointing experience

Indeed, MP does appear to be where the vast majority of issues sit right now. Definitely a point of focus on looking to fix and to avoid a repeat of this in the future.

@Loki and all others that had the SE issues... has anyone still been having this issue?

I am no longer having it. Even tested extensive play time in multiplayer in the underground biomes.

Also *knocks on wood*

Saves are seeming to remain intact though probably my limited tests are not 100%

Curious did we get a stealth patch?

My system auto updates so I would never notice if we did.

Tv still being stupid... but looking at new tvs as house warming gift to self :dryadgrin:

Oh? Mine still does it. Did you change anything? That would be a big breakthrough.

Don’t jump or fly. That’s my hint to you. ;)

Yep. Such is Terraria lol. No apologies needed - this is how we find and fix what is needed. :)

I just hope it stays fixed - in which case I will have to blame these guys once again:

View attachment 195002

Unlikely. Honestly this is no different than similar methods on pc if people choose to cheat themselves of a legit experience. The safety of backups outweighs the risks of duplication exploits.

Bugs first - and the first waves were focused on stability - then feedback items. Hopefully soon.

Have not changed anything that I can remember. It just went back to being transparent again yesterday. To be clear everything was transparent including my hotbar. Now my hotbar isn't but inventory is. Maybe just lucky/unlucky?

:(I’ve been playing terraria on softcore with a friend and we’ve gotten far enough to fight the golem and every time we kill him our game freezes and crashes. I’m on Xbox one and we’re on split screen.o_O

The popups when we get the in-game advancements are really small and hard to see. They get entirely lost in the background even when actively looking for them, and they're nearly impossible to read even if I do spot them.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I've had several occurrences where the goblin army event has popped up on screen but never arrived. Not one full event has started, it always says they're approaching.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I've had several occurrences where the goblin army event has popped up on screen but never arrived. Not one full event has started, it always says they're approaching.

People have said it can take several in-game days for them to show up. Or exiting and reloading the world can make them appear immediately. I haven't had a problem with it, except for the lunar events overriding one goblin invasion.

Had my first game freeze yesterday. I was back in my main base with my ranger to make some heartreach potions, walked through a door and the game froze. The music still played fine but my character and all the NPCs were frozen in place and none of the controls worked. I exited the game and reloaded and it worked fine after that.

Single player or Multiplayer? Have heard of this in MP, but not as much in SP (and in my SP run, all of my invasions have occurred as expected)

Single player or Multiplayer? Have heard of this in MP, but not as much in SP (and in my SP run, all of my invasions have occurred as expected)
Unfortunately I've only played multiplayer since the update, so it's multiplayer for me. It's a post update large world. I believe it's the only event I need to do to get the last npc before I get into hardmode.

Only once have I had an invasion event fail to materialize, and that was a goblin army while I was in multiplayer. But my friend and I were 3/4 of the way through the lunar events so I just figured the celestial invasion overrode the goblins since there is a hierarchy of events. MP slime rains and lunar events and Martian invasions always started promptly for me.

Unfortunately I've only played multiplayer since the update, so it's multiplayer for me. It's a post update large world. I believe it's the only event I need to do to get the last npc before I get into hardmode.
Only once have I had an invasion event fail to materialize, and that was a goblin army while I was in multiplayer. But my friend and I were 3/4 of the way through the lunar events so I just figured the celestial invasion overrode the goblins since there is a hierarchy of events. MP slime rains and lunar events and Martian invasions always started promptly for me.

Yeah, seems like this - and a large number of other things - are isolated to multiplayer. Wish my internet were better so that I could see that side for myself as well. SP works pretty fluidly in my experience (absent a few things, and the big zoom/opacity issue).

Do we have any information on patch releases?

Hopefully very soon. I know they have had one well in the works for a while.

For me I am fine with waiting. The longer it takes would ideally mean the more bugs have been squashed vs. Getting a million micro patches fixing one or two issues at a time.

I still find it insanely weird that SE is still working fine. Though the last several playthroughs have not gone through an underground ice biome. Part of me wants to try and break it again to see the root cause but then the other part just wants to use it while it is working haha.

After how long 1.3 took and what that turned out like I don't know that "The longer it takes the more bugs squashed" is a realistic assumption.

I dunno, I’d kinda rather they did smaller, more frequent patches just to show progress. Even a buggy mess like Conan Exiles has never dropped a major overhaul (which are just as buggy as we got) and then gone what, 2+ months without any fixes at all.

This lack of updates is making it all feel like when a Kickstarter project is released, and then not supported anymore, beyond the programmer posting that he's "working on it". All they're doing here is making a lot of people abandon Terraria on consoles because nothing's being released. Try giving us some information, such as "Here's what we're working on right now for the next update, what's coming in the following ones, and an estimate for when it's coming (other than "soon").

And really guys, I don't think anyone would mind installing a few small patches from time to time instead of waiting for a single big one that may or may not come soon, or would even fix all of the problems at once (which of course isn't possible).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom