Official Console 1.3 Update Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
when is it going to be safe to visit other people's world's

My understanding is that a fix for Overwrite is in the next fix round. In the meantime, there is a workaround listed in the FAQ. Not ideal, but at least keeps you playing.

going invisible

Several of these are absolutely being looked into.

I have an older tv

How old is this TV? Mine is neither new nor horribly old (~4-5y) and it took me all of 3 minutes to muddle through the TV menus to sort it out. The issue is that every mfg calls it something else (mine was "Full Pixel") that the others do not. Would be happy to try and help sort that out for you.

Why the heck can't we save without exiting??

Autosave occurs every 5m (iirc) - outside of that, if you have some amazing drop that you simply must have, just S&E. I get that it isn't perfectly convenient, but it isn't an amazing cataclysm either.

Outside of the obvious bugs (looking at you transparency-on-zoom) and some tweaks, the opinions on the UI are just that - opinions. It is definitely a big change - that much is a fact - and I expect it will take some longer than others to adjust. Thus, the focus is on improving what is here, as I have said several times.

Getting one fully functional UI would be a good start.

Define "fully functional". Again, outside of the transparency bugs mentioned above, which are being discussed already. Playing at full zoom - admittedly just getting started on my play - at 5-10' on my couch, I am not seeing this "non-functional" UI (the definition of which means literally does not work - "I do not like it" =/= "non-functional"). I ask because if there is some literal non-working element that has not been surfaced, then I need to know about it so that I can be sure it is being discussed by the teams.

are you from the future buddy? or is it those old eyes again?
(P.S>.this feels a little mean)

Would assume you knew what I meant by 2600.... :p

@Proto: Thanks for the clarifications. At first it did seem combative but such is the way of text. In my eyes you have fully explained your intentions and all is good.

@Loki: Thanks for all the insight. It's great to hear that he devs are aware and considering their options. I'm personally in the camp that the UI is in fact an improvement (noticeably more and more as I continue to use it) but am hoping for some really awesome quality of life changes along with some minor bug fixes in the UI department down the road. For example:

1. Zoom In issues (already addressed but still #1 IMHO so worth mentioning again)...might also include overall UI transparency as well.

2. Mini-Map Icon Bug (sometimes a white box, sometimes a part of the logo, once the dpad but never what it should be)

3. Mini-Map Zoom (doesn't always remember last zoom...this is an issue because we can't double bind keys and they are limited on the controller so I have to rebind my keys just to zoom in to where I like it then rebind the keys back to their more productive state. Rinse and Repeat every 2-3 game sessions)

EDIT: Seems regular zoom doesn't remember my preference either. Blah!

4. Item counts reduced to 1 for certain items (just a visual bug as the proper quantity displays in the tooltip for each item and it eventually returns to normal)

5. Something weird between using a dpad item not on the hotbar then using either bumper to switch positions on the hotbar. Sometimes it jumps back to my last selected item and sometimes it jumps forward to the 1st hotbar slot. On one character the back bumper always switches to my Bug Net under these circumstances.

Outside of that I would like to mention something you said about AutoSave...

I build a lot and have now had two consecutive days where I've lost hours of work because the game froze during an Save & Exit even though AutoSave was supposedly happening every 5 minutes. Last night I lost an hour but the night before I lost 5 hours. If AutoSave can't help me from losing 5 hours of work then something is seriously wrong. I shouldn't have to Save & Exit / Reload every 30-60 minutes just to be safe. That is where I'm at now and it's not fun. Furthermore, the game currently becomes more and more unstable with each passing reload so a hard reset is in order every so often as well. This could all be avoided if we had save slots that we could save to at any time we choose. Please consider.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I have 2 questions about the PS4 version that were never answered. I've mentioned these in lists of many problems, so I thought I'd try just them by themselves, and less combative:

1 - Why was the touchpad zoom removed? It worked perfectly, and honestly, there's no way that forcing us to interrupt the game to zoom can be seen as an improvement. It's a major problem for those of us who relied on it, and anyone who says it's not a big deal probably didn't try it. There will never be Xbox/PS crossplay, so it's not like we'd have an unfair advantage over anyone.

2 - Why do we now have to turn on the D-pad options & remap them every single time we play? How can this be seen as a positive thing? We didn't need to do that before. You don't even to do it on the PC, which is what this new update is supposedly based on.

Neither of these are bugs or programming oversights, so I would just like to know how these can be defended.

Last edited:
Outside of the obvious bugs (looking at you transparency-on-zoom) and some tweaks, the opinions on the UI are just that - opinions. It is definitely a big change - that much is a fact - and I expect it will take some longer than others to adjust. Thus, the focus is on improving what is here, as I have said several times.

So if I understand correctly, the overtransparent menus are here to stay?
Quite a number of players shared their opinion regarding the overtransparent and color flickering pop up texts, but those are obviously just opinions and will be ignored, those people just need more time to adjust?

Right.......

I have a couple random questions regarding some things I haven't seen mentioned. I did not want to report them as bugs if they are known or working as intended:

Settling Liquids:

I dug a 2-block wide hellavator in a large world the other day (straight down from surface to the underworld), encountering substantial amounts of water along the way. Once I made it all the way to the underworld I knew the water was going to take quite awhile to drain and "evaporate" in real-time, so I saved/exited then reloaded the world. The loading screen then stuck on "Settling Liquids: 96%". I left it and came back to see if it would recover (and it finally did), but it took approximately 5 minutes without changing from "96%". Is this how the loading process is intended to work now?

Reforging:

It took me 30 minutes to figure out how to reforge after the update. I finally figured out that when you drop the item to be reforged into the reforge box, the item's stats often completely cover and hide the tiny reforge action icon (little hammer to the bottom right). I didn't even realize that UI button existed until I kept experimenting and finally attempted to reforge an item that had a shorter description.

Quick Stacking:

Did the "quick stack to all chests" feature make it into this update? If so, how do you use it?

Is there a way to disable the feature of new stacks being auto-created in chests?

Been playing for a few days now and I'll just re-state that the transparency in the menus is the biggest problem.
The crafting text overwriting other text also a problem.

Player inventory and chest inventory not lining up, is that on purpose?

I've found where the buffs are and I'm wondering if my UI is cutting off the time remaining or am I not seeing it or is it just not there?

About the screen not quite fitting the HUD, I did indeed find a setting on my tv called "overscan" that when I disable solves that problem - however, it makes the game look just a bit less sharp and though I don't think this is a dealbreaker issue I really hope the bug hunters are looking for a solution so I don't have to choose between full hud and fuzzy or cropped hud and sharp.

Also, I am one of those console gamers who plays zoomed in to some extent. Are there plans to have the game remember zoom settings or at least have a % show on the pause screen so I can go back to the same zoom when I start up my game? (right now it's kind of "that looks about right" approximation each time)

Still enjoying expert mode. Also my first slime rain was a ton of fun - until the king splatted me!

@Loki
Thank you for the response.

I have alternated between auto save and non auto save... auto save did not appear to save any of my progress several times now for over 30 minutes worth of work which is as far as I am willing to test while actually doing things semi wanted to keep semi just using for testing purposes. The actual save retention i have no documentation of... just sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt. Sometimes it seems to save a chunk of time but not the full length of game play time.

Also of note: it acts like it is saving even on non auto save it has a "lag spike" for lack of a better term where a for a few seconds my toon doesn't move properly then it returns to normal but of course dashboarding after this does confirm the lag is not saving when toggled to not auto save (no the sunflower does not appear during the lag spike) Dashboarding while on auto save after the sunflower does its thing does not always mean it saved as i sadly found out losing a couple hours worth of work the first time I was relying on it.

A good chunk of this is purely not wishing to not be required to save and exit and potentially trek back to where/what I was working on but for further away projects I started just throwing up a Shack close by and turning it to my spawn point for the duration of the build (which I did in the past for specific area farming so doing the same for a build project albeit tedious is not end all be all game breaking)

I care more about this feature in regards to building rather than drops. Saving periodically helps in the event I get dashboarded, manually wish to dashboard to erase a critical error or a third reason that escapes me at the moment. But there have also been times playing with another person on an event that was specifically set up to go through it with two dps and one of us dropping out during a fight sequence just isn't an option and yes even before the update more than once I was dashboarded and would have otherwise lost my drops if I hadn't saved upon getting it.

My priority really isn't the drops though because auto save does seem to function upon death, so if I continue fighting til the end it is fine... losing due to connectivity or whatever other cause though is frustrating and that save without exit was greatly useful. (Common occurrence my death and I am glad the x marks the spot fades or I would probably find my world unplayable as I am definitely not "good" at this game lol)

The tv is about 10 possibly 12 years old maybe less but pretty sure this is 2007 model. 16:9 screen is outside of display, 4:3 it is tiny with black walls around the edges top and bottom and very large black walls on the side. Wide screen puts even more of it off screen. The final option that I have on the TV is Just Scan which as stated before works but only for about 30 minutes give or take. My first theory was that it scanned back when I zoomed in but I primarily play zoomed out. Zoom in is primarily during detailed building or dungeon exploration when removing traps.... tested and retested without touching zoom... still eventually adjusts back outside of the display and seemingly no way to make it stay put. Nor is there any time coordination... one time after zooming in most of the way in the tv remained fine for all 30 minutes even without ever zooming back out. Another time it was within minutes of changing my zoom. Not sure what else can be causing the tv on just scan to adjust outside of the parameters and it NEVER adjusts back. (Possibly just the old tv but again... 20 dollars wasted on a game or the money for a new TV? I will at this juncture cut my losses at the 20 bucks but would rather not.) Just unsure why it is only this game post update that the tv is struggling with.

That was long winded and I apologize.

I play split screen and I noticed that when I’m in the crafting menu the other persons actions on her screen are moving my controls. I don’t know what control on her screen makes it do that. It’ll move my cursor from the crafting menu back to my inventory.:confused:

Does this happen to anyone else? I use my grapple with the shadow flame hades dye and shortly after it goes invisible and same with all projectiles and light pet. This happens 100% of the time I use my grapple. I haven’t tested it without the dye.
The projectile I used in the video was the shadow flame knife
The only thing that will fix this bug is exiting the app and closing it, saving and exiting then re entering any world won’t fix it.

Last edited:
I've been attempting the lunar events, and I noticed something minor but that bugs me while fighting the solar pillar...

My melee character has a tally counter in inventory, so I get a total of all the enemies of different types I've killed. Except crawltipedes. I have personally killed several, with a gun and by whacking their tails with the Solar Eruption when they pass close enough, and my summons have killed several more. This I know for a fact because periodically crawltipede bits will rain down from the sky. But the tally counter still reads crawltipede: 0

Generated another world to look for more sword shrines, and while rooting around I noticed that the text for my weapons and tools was spazzing out. It was flickering rapidly, going from higher damage and knockback to lower in a manner that'd give you a seizure if watched for two long. I've never seen it do that before.

Does this happen to anyone else? I use my grapple with the shadow flame hades dye and shortly after it goes invisible and same with all projectiles and light pet. This happens 100% of the time I use my grapple. I haven’t tested it without the dye.
The projectile I used in the video was the shadow flame knife
The only thing that will fix this bug is exiting the app and closing it, saving and exiting then re entering any world won’t fix it.
Yes. All dyes are bugged at the moment and you should probably not use them.
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/console-1-3-transition-and-workaround-faq.64292/#10

Hello all! I am a long time player, first time forum poster. I created an account here because I care that much about this game (Terraria on console is my favorite gaming experience OF ALL TIME, I have easily logged 1000+ hours) and I care that much about the frustrations I've experienced with the update. I am not a game developer by trade, but I am a software developer and product owner, and thus I understand the motivations of development teams to solve a myriad of customer use cases with the most elegant, maintainable, and scalable codebase. In this particular case, that means supporting experiences for PC, mobile, and multiple consoles across gamers that enjoy playing the game for a wide range of gameplay reasons (miners, builders, fighters, multi-play) as well as a wide range of devices, screens, and gaming environments (desk, living room, bedrooms, basements).

So what's my beef?

Mainly, the UI/menu visibility and navigability issues already discussed at length in this thread. To a lesser extent, some of the changes to the configurability of the console controller bindings (I was an avid flyer using both A and LT buttons for different reasons); map usage (can I get a setting to turn mini map off, but still use the map menu? and keep the map of my world filled out? I feel like I've earned this!); "save without exit"; and this is super nit-picky but having to remap my 8x5 chest organization to the 10x4 structure (presumably to match the PC version) is a total pain.​

Why do people love playing Terraria on console? Here's what I've come up with, without doing a ton of research, just pondering out loud...

1. Maybe they can't afford or have chosen not to purchase a PC, so this is the gaming outlet they've invested in.
  2. The GPU capabilities of their console exceeds the GPU capabilities of any other accessible device. ("The game looks and responds best here")
  3. Console is the most convenient method to connect to a larger screen, or the largest screen in the household.
  4. The game controller of their console is preferred over keyboard & mouse. (This is a near-religious debate. Personally, I fall squarely in the pro-console-controller camp)
  5. Something about the room, the couch, the lighting, the comfort of using the (location of the) console beats out the comfort of using the (location of the) PC.

So what's the deal with zooming, you ask? a.k.a. The TV/Console Controller vs. Monitor/Keyboard+Mouse experience

What you can see and read from 18-26 inches on a 15" laptop monitor, vs. from 5 to 10 feet away, even on a 55" or larger TV screen, is quite different. Terraria is an information-rich, icon-rich game. I think the menu and crafting experience on the PC is brilliant, for what you can see and do on a PC with keyboard and mouse. The previous console menu experience was equally brilliant in its ability to focus the most screen real estate at the task at hand, and making it easy to quickly navigate items from one menu to the next.
Finding equilibrium

I would some of us here in the forums would absolutely LOVE the opportunity to work alongside the dev team to understand their balance of goals and try to find that elegant solution that minimizes code maintenance but also gets to something that's best for PC AND console players. I think this requires a deep analysis of all the use cases (i.e. "move object from chest to inventory", "swap armor", "craft for building", "organize chests", "change equips mid-battle", etc.), what the player's primary and ancillary objectives are in each of those cases, and how that experience is enhanced and/or hindered depending on what IO they are using. I haven't micro-analyzed the new menu UI for console (i.e. articulate what's better about it and also articulate precisely what's difficult to use), but I would do this if it helps. I just know for now it's too small, the text is too overlapping, the icons are too transparent, and overall it's not intuitive to navigate with my XBOX controller the way the last menu system was.
Final thoughts

The interface IS the game. I believe it's what made many people fall in love with Terraria originally. We just want to love playing it again, AND get all the awesome additional content, beautiful artwork, and improved effects. I totally get that some things will just take getting used to. I just don't think the right level of real world usability testing was done on this update, and I hope this is the priority and focus for the next update. For now, I have to pause playing this game, and that makes me incredibly sad, because I love Terraria. Deep respect and hopeful wishes for the dev team; please, pretty please, let some of the avid console players help you sort this out!!!​

JoPepsi just eloquently spoke for me. I agree completely.

It honestly feels like console players are getting shafted for the sake of expediency.

Minecraft Bedrock is doing precisely the same thing. We had elegant, fast navigating menus and simple coordinates tied to our maps. We had to fight to get coordinates back at all, all the while literally being called cheaters BY THE DEVS. And our menus will likely never be as good as they were (“you’ll get used to it!” Sound familiar?)

And here we are again. Maybe Sony is right after all. Maybe games should stay seperated because not all ways of playing them can be the same. No matter how much time it saves the developers.

Last edited:
I'd settle for making the UI larger and much less transparent and the words actually readable. I hate having to get up and stand nose-to-screen with the TV squinting to try and read the text while trying to reforge items. And please, please make the text stop flashing/pulsing!

@Loki or any other dev...

The work around for the world over write bug... how sure is it that your world will not be over written by the other persons world if you join from the main dashboard or home screen?

My boyfriend and I want to resume playing together but he will not play if it's risks his worlds.

My understanding is that a fix for Overwrite is in the next fix round. In the meantime, there is a workaround listed in the FAQ. Not ideal, but at least keeps you playing.

Several of these are absolutely being looked into.

How old is this TV? Mine is neither new nor horribly old (~4-5y) and it took me all of 3 minutes to muddle through the TV menus to sort it out. The issue is that every mfg calls it something else (mine was "Full Pixel") that the others do not. Would be happy to try and help sort that out for you.

Autosave occurs every 5m (iirc) - outside of that, if you have some amazing drop that you simply must have, just S&E. I get that it isn't perfectly convenient, but it isn't an amazing cataclysm either.

Define "fully functional". Again, outside of the transparency bugs mentioned above, which are being discussed already. Playing at full zoom - admittedly just getting started on my play - at 5-10' on my couch, I am not seeing this "non-functional" UI (the definition of which means literally does not work - "I do not like it" =/= "non-functional"). I ask because if there is some literal non-working element that has not been surfaced, then I need to know about it so that I can be sure it is being discussed by the teams.

Would assume you knew what I meant by 2600.... :p
I don't think you understand. I have spent hours "muddling" through the settings on my TV to no avail. just. Give. Us. An. Overscan. Option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom