PS4 CRASH on PS4 Singleplayer when minions maxed and armour swapped then attempting to use minion summoning item

KingofDergs2001

Skeletron
Hi there, I’m reporting a crash that happens on my PS4 edition of Terraria that occurs when you have full Stardust armour, Autopause on, and maximum minions summoned. The crash occurs if you go to your inventory or a chest, which pauses the game, and equip new armour that does not keep the minion maximum equal or higher than the Stardust armour, and then exit the inventory. It seems normal until you notice that the minion (in my case Stardust Dragon) is graphically corrupted, the tail was frozen in place and the head was moving on its own. I used the Stardust Dragon Staff, and this freezes and crashes Terraria instantly.

Possible cause:
The variable(s) keeping track of the number of minions that the user has summoned does not clear or reduce to default maximum (or new maximum, dep. on buffs, accessories, etc.) when the summoning item is used. When you attempt to summon a new minion, a fatal error is thrown because the current minion count is higher than maximum (possible anti-cheat?), and this crashes the game instantaneously. This may also occur if you unequip an accessory that increases maximum minions while your minions are maxed out, and then attempt to use a minion summoning item.

Possible fix:
When a minion summoning item is used, the current possible maximum number of minions is checked and compared to the amount of minions already summoned. If the current amount is more than the possible maximum, the minion count is set to the possible maximum OR that variable is reset entirely back to 0.

Hi there, I’m reporting a crash that happens on my PS4 edition of Terraria that occurs when you have full Stardust armour, Autopause on, and maximum minions summoned. The crash occurs if you go to your inventory or a chest, which pauses the game, and equip new armour that does not keep the minion maximum equal or higher than the Stardust armour, and then exit the inventory. It seems normal until you notice that the minion (in my case Stardust Dragon) is graphically corrupted, the tail was frozen in place and the head was moving on its own. I used the Stardust Dragon Staff, and this freezes and crashes Terraria instantly.

Possible cause:
The variable(s) keeping track of the number of minions that the user has summoned does not clear or reduce to default maximum (or new maximum, dep. on buffs, accessories, etc.) when the summoning item is used. When you attempt to summon a new minion, a fatal error is thrown because the current minion count is higher than maximum (possible anti-cheat?), and this crashes the game instantaneously. This may also occur if you unequip an accessory that increases maximum minions while your minions are maxed out, and then attempt to use a minion summoning item.

Possible fix:
When a minion summoning item is used, the current possible maximum number of minions is checked and compared to the amount of minions already summoned. If the current amount is more than the possible maximum, the minion count is set to the possible maximum OR that variable is reset entirely back to 0.
Thanks for this detailed info @KingofDergs2001, and welcome to the forums. :)

That's interesting that it only does it on Autopause, a really good detail. If you haven't already, I recommend that you send this straight to the console developers, Pipeworks, here: Terraria: Console & Mobile Bug Form

They may not reply, but they do go over every bug report that they get through that link (it's their preferred way of getting bugs - posting it here on the forums helps to alert other players and see if they have any possible workarounds). :)

That's interesting that it only does it on Autopause, a really good detail. If you haven't already, I recommend that you send this straight to the console developers, Pipeworks, here: Terraria: Console & Mobile Bug Form

They may not reply, but they do go over every bug report that they get through that link (it's their preferred way of getting bugs - posting it here on the forums helps to alert other players and see if they have any possible workarounds). :)
Thank you! I have reported the bug through that link and provided the same level of detail as I did here.
Cheers!

As well as this, I would like to add a temporary solution I’ve come up with to the problem until the bug is fixed.

When removing any accessory or armour that boosts your maximum minion count, CANCEL the minion buff before exiting your inventory and resummoning your minions. This avoids the crash entirely.

As well as this, I would like to add a temporary solution I’ve come up with to the problem until the bug is fixed.

When removing any accessory or armour that boosts your maximum minion count, CANCEL the minion buff before exiting your inventory and resummoning your minions. This avoids the crash entirely.
That's a great workaround, King, thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom