Items Enchanted Boomerang Should be a Gold-Chest-Exclusive Item Again

They replaced it with the Mace for a reason. That reason being that it's a horrible early game weapon that wasn't even good against Demon Eyes. There is no need to let that thing have a chance to replace Hermes Boots or the Cloud in a Bottle again.

The defensive benefit for melee is more for WoF and not early game which is the main point of the tread. It's more about the boomerang's damage compared to other options than melee defense.
But it's damage is unremarkable for earlygame standards. The Ice blade is found in the easiest non-cavern underground biome to explore and is better in basically every way.

Also, it's no way guaranted that you find a wooden boomerang the first day, or even early game. it has a high chance, but it's not guaranted.

Also, I wonder about - regardless that it's two different classes we're talking about - but why to care much about melee class' defense, if you go for the armors for mage that boost stats, but offer extremely low defense.
In comparison, jungle armor has awesome stats, and rather good defense too. of course, not as high as molten, but nevertheless pretty good.

anyway. dunno if enchanted boomerangs are all that OP... they are quite strong IF you get them very early, but it's not guaranted, and you could get much better weapons that time, or just a few days after, with some luck.

But it's damage is unremarkable for earlygame standards. The Ice blade is also found in the easiest non-cavern underground biome to explore and is better in basically every way.

I already talked about that. The boomerang is guaranteed while you need luck for the blade.

They replaced it with the Mace for a reason. That reason being that it's a horrible early game weapon that wasn't even good against Demon Eyes. There is no need to let that thing have a chance to replace Hermes Boots or the Cloud in a Bottle again.

Perhaps it should be buffed a bit... but I thought about it, perhaps it would be better if the crafting recipe just used more stars or other items, I guess the problem I have with it is just how easy it is to get, it should be harder.

Here's a suggestion for a harder crafting recipe:

Wooden Boomerang
15 Mana Crystals

Crafting Station: Workbench

That way it requires more stars and cannot be made immediately after night comes in, what do you think about it?

Also, I wonder about - regardless that it's two different classes we're talking about - but why to care much about melee class' defense, if you go for the armors for mage that boost stats, but offer extremely low defense.
In comparison, jungle armor has awesome stats, and rather good defense too. of course, not as high as molten, but nevertheless pretty good.

I also don't care much about defense, but like, the class was literally made to have the most defense of them all, and as I previously said, other classes are better for other stats.

Also, it's no way guaranted that you find a wooden boomerang the first day, or even early game. it has a high chance, but it's not guaranted.

You need luck for the wooden boomerang too though.

Not as much even though you do, but if you don't find a wooden boomerang on your world that also means you won't have Flamarang. I'm not the type of person who goes from one world to another to get stuff but usually if my world is missing items in the wooden chests I get them from another one, Radar for example. But your world is most likely to include a boomerang anyway.

Perhaps it should be buffed a bit... but I thought about it, perhaps it would be better if the crafting recipe just used more stars or other items, I guess the problem I have with it is just how easy it is to get, it should be harder.

Here's a suggestion for a harder crafting recipe:

Wooden Boomerang
15 Mana Crystals

Crafting Station: Workbench

That way it requires more stars and cannot be made immediately after night comes in, what do you think about it?

Right now with how weak it is, it being a Start-of-the Game item is perfectly reasonable, and there is no way I'm paying 45 Fallen Stars for it. I can max out my mana and/or get a ton of Jester's Arrows with that amount.

A friend had the idea to buff the Wooden Boomerang to be on the same level as it, then buff Enchanted Boomerang into a decent weapon, and then make it require Underground Materials, and I think that's the best thing that can be done for it.

Right now with how weak it is, it being a Start-of-the Game item is perfectly reasonable, and there is no way I'm paying 45 Fallen Stars for it. I can max out my mana and/or get a ton of Jester's Arrows with that amount.

A friend had the idea to buff the Wooden Boomerang to be on the same level as it, then buff Enchanted Boomerang into a decent weapon, and then make it require Underground Materials, and I think that's the best thing that can be done for it.

As I said, it is stronger than top-tier ore swords and can even be used to fight King Slime or EoW. The idea is good with the undeground materials part but really, if you could get a 13 damage boomerang then there is no point in using any ore swords and zombie arm :/

Also, why max out your mana if you're playing as melee? Melee doesn't have many uses for fallen stars and that would make them a bit more useful.

Wooden boomerang is not guaranted, even though it might be common. but it's just like most other surface chest loot. sometimes you have to search though the whole map, and still have trouble finding something like a radar, which is, supposedly just as common. I think.

also, 15 mana crystals?! that's ridicolously expensive. even if they only take 3 stars for one, it means 45... 45?! fallen stars? considering you usually will use them first to max out your mana... or you could use them for lots of jester's arrows... by the time you would get that amount, you would - very likely - already have much better weapons than the enchanted boomerang...

also, 15 mana crystals?! that's ridicolously expensive. even if they only take 3 stars for one, it means 45... 45?! fallen stars? considering you usually will use them first to max out your mana... or you could use them for lots of jester's arrows... by the time you would get that amount, you would - very likely - already have much better weapons than the enchanted boomerang...

Again, why max out your mana or make jester arrows as a melee? 45 fallen stars may be high though, a little less would be better, like 25 - 20, I exxagerated on that part.

As I said, it is stronger than top-tier ore swords and can even be used to fight King Slime or EoW. The idea is good with the undeground materials part but really, if you could get a 13 damage boomerang then there is no point in using any ore swords and zombie arm :/

It beats out Ore Swords? That's not a high bar to beat at all. The fact that the Enchanted Boomerang is better than them is just more proof that they need a serious buff.

Also, why max out your mana if you're playing as melee? Melee doesn't have many uses for fallen stars and that would make them a bit more useful.

Because in a normal run I wouldn't "play as melee", i'd use my materials in what's best for me. If I had 45 stars, I would not at all use all of them up on a bad boomerang. I'd use them to either max out my mana and save the rest for Magic potions, or just craft a full stack of Jester's and steamroll through Pre-EoC.

It beats out Ore Swords? That's not a high bar to beat at all. The fact that the Enchanted Boomerang is better than them is just proof that they need a serious buff.

Yeah they do need a buff, but a weapon you can get after a few minutes of spawning beating them would only make it worse.

Because in a normal run I wouldn't "play as melee", i'd use my materials in what's best for me. If I had 45 stars, I would not at all use all of them up on a bad boomerang. I'd use them to either max out my mana and save the rest for Magic potions, or just craft a full stack of Jester's and steamroll through Pre-EoC.

I'm talking about melee runs, not hybrid ones.

That "you can get them a few minutes into the game" doesn't means you will actually get them, it purely depends on worldgen, if you happen to have a wooden chest with a boomerang in it, and you actually find it.

Also, while if you go for pure melee, mana or jesters arrow might be irrelevant, fallen stars are still quite valuable, and might worths good money, or you can combine them with things to make even more profit, such as enchanted nightcrawlers - or use those for fishing, and you might find something useful in a crate or something.

And why can't both the Boomerangs and the Broadswords be buffed?

I don't really wanna go to that point since we would have to go over the damage value of swords, spears, etc. The point is, Enchanted Boomerang damage is too high to the point you get it. Making it with 5 mana crystals would be great to me.

That "you can get them a few minutes into the game" doesn't means you will actually get them, it purely depends on worldgen, if you happen to have a wooden chest with a boomerang in it, and you actually find it.

But if there is a boomerang in a wooden chest, which is quite common, you can have a weapon with OP damage on your first night.

Also, while if you go for pure melee, mana or jesters arrow might be irrelevant, fallen stars are still quite valuable, and might worths good money, or you can combine them with things to make even more profit, such as enchanted nightcrawlers - or use those for fishing, and you might find something useful in a crate or something.

You don't need the nightcrawlers though, this is basically saying "You can sell hellstone bars instead of making a fiery greatsword".

Wooden boomerangs are common, but not that common. it happens I don't find one, or at least not very early game, and later it's pretty useless.

Also, yes, you could sell hellstone bars, but they're a pain to get, so why would you do that? If you want quick money, farming BoC is much better. Fiery Greatsword is also a joke... never used it before as it is, just as a component for the Night's Edge. Though it might would be somewhat useful, with autoswing and stuff that boost melee speed.

Also, yeah, 5 mana crystals is still expensive. I won't think I would spend more than 3 fallen stars / 1 mana crystal on turning a wooden boomerang enchanted. and then we're back at you can likely make it the 1st or 2nd night.

I know stars are more common in 1.4 but 15 stars is way too expensive for a weapon that will get replaced quickly.

Replaced quickly with?

Also, yeah, 5 mana crystals is still expensive. I won't think I would spend more than 3 fallen stars / 1 mana crystal on turning a wooden boomerang enchanted. and then we're back at you can likely make it the 1st or 2nd night.

At least the user wouldn't just have to wait until night, and if it was just one crystal it would be pretty much the same thing of 1 star, what would you even use stars for as a melee? Money? There are other ways of making it.

Stars migh be not that useful for pure melee, but it's kind of a narrow thing. if you say "if you do pure melee, you have no need of those stars anyway, so you might as well spend a bajillion on upgrading a lame weapon to be a bit less lame."
But on hybrid melee, or any other playthrough that is fine with boomerangs too (e.g. not pure ranger/mage/etc.) you wouldn't waste mana stars on that.

Plus, if you rise the fallen star cost of it, it would push that upgrade at least several days later in the game, by that time, you might got a good yo-yo, or a mace even if you're pure melee, and won't likely care about the boomerang anymore...

Back
Top Bottom