Items Enchanted Boomerang Should be a Gold-Chest-Exclusive Item Again

Stars migh be not that useful for pure melee, but it's kind of a narrow thing. if you say "if you do pure melee, you have no need of those stars anyway, so you might as well spend a bajillion on upgrading a lame weapon to be a bit less lame."
But on hybrid melee, or any other playthrough that is fine with boomerangs too (e.g. not pure ranger/mage/etc.) you wouldn't waste mana stars on that.

Plus, if you rise the fallen star cost of it, it would push that upgrade at least several days later in the game, by that time, you might got a good yo-yo, or a mace even if you're pure melee, and won't likely care about the boomerang anymore...

You can still get it on the first day, but if you don't have luck then on the second, while you can get a good weapon on the second day the boomerang still has it's range usage, but perhaps it would need a little damage boost for the crafting to work? Idk.

But on hybrid melee, or any other playthrough that is fine with boomerangs too (e.g. not pure ranger/mage/etc.) you wouldn't waste mana stars on that.

Also, a thing I'd like to point out is that when you talk about a class you talk about the class, not about hybrids.

I don't really wanna go to that point since we would have to go over the damage value of swords, spears, etc. The point is, Enchanted Boomerang damage is too high to the point you get it. Making it with 5 mana crystals would be great to me.

Nerfing (even if indirectly) an underpowered weapon because a few others are worse doesn't make any sense, this is the exact logic that got the Beekeeper gutted in 1.4.

A literal wooden bow can deal more damage per hit than an Enchanted Boomerang so what exactly makes it overpowered?

If the worst ranged weapon is comparable to the Enchanted Boomerang, then yeah it definitely doesn't need a nerf

Compared to the other melee weapons it does... but thinking about it, you seem to be right. The boomerang would need a nerf if the ore swords and the boomerang got buffed.

But, if Re-logic doesn't do anything about the ore swords, then the boomerang will be OP compared to them.

If you do pure melee then yes, classes exists.
The game shouldn't be balanced around player's restraining themselves. The fact is the enchanted boomerang and swords underperform compared to ranged weapons, and you can't even use the excuse that melee is supposed to do less damage because of defense since there is literally no melee armor yet.

The game shouldn't be balanced around player's restraining themselves. The fact is the enchanted boomerang and swords underperform compared to ranged weapons, and you can't even use the excuse that melee is supposed to do less damage because of defense since there is literally no melee armor yet.

Yeah as I said on my last post. Hopefully the ore swords and the boomerang get buffed, then it's recipe would need to change.

I would be fine with having short range if the class had exceptional damage. Spoiler: it does not. In fact, it doesn't even come close. Pure Summoner may be weaker, but the developers didn't balance around it's existence anyway so I don't count it.
Say that to Zenith [ofc I know that it’s just a trophy]

Super late reply, but I was just starting a hardcore playthrough and got an enchanted boomerang on my first night. I feel like I'm already halfway through pre-hardmode now. I agree it's too strong to be able to craft with one star. I'd be okay with it being craftable if you needed at least 10 or 15.

It looks like there's some long argument about melee and bosses, but is that really relevant? I don't think I have EVER used melee as a primary weapon for boss fights pre-hardmode. You're not really supposed to. Melee pre-hardmode is solid for fighting regular enemies, not bosses.

As an aside, I feel like pre-hardmode in general (especially the early game) is incredibly unbalanced and out of date, and it's a shame. Why does the musharang even exist when the enchanted boomerang is 100x more accessible? Why do copper broadswords exist when a wooden sword does nearly identical damage and takes a fraction of the time to manufacture? All of the normal metals have their weapons outclassed by random stuff you can find from drops or in chests, so what's the point of spending all that time looking for them and mining? What's the consequence of going too deep into a mine when there are recall potions in every other pot?

Not to sound like some grumpy old-timer, but I've been playing Terraria since 2011, and although 90% of updates have been awesome and massive improvements, I do feel like a lot of old content and a certain style of play have become obsolete and due for rebalancing.

Back
Top Bottom