Working as Designed Equippable items cannot be put in Social Slot

Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Hey guys,

there are a few equippable items that I'm not able to put into my social slots anymore. The Warrior Emblem or the ancient chisel for example can't be put into any of those slots. It's really annoying to have to put these into your inventory and always look for them once you need them while your inv is almost always full.

Hope you can fix this soon.

Greetings

Yeah, I just went ingame and realised there is a text now, telling you which items can be equipped in vanity slots and which can't. Still, I think this is a huge step back, cause as I stated in my post, it's just annoying to not be able to switch them as fast and easily anymore.

I understand why this change was made, but I hate it. It was quick and easy to keep track of my inventory and swap between functional accessories depending on what I wanted or needed at the time. Now it's gone and there's no other way to quickly do that anymore.

Quick gear swapping is fun. But now, it's gone.

You shouldn't take away a method of managing inventory, even if unintended, without adding a replacement feature that does the same thing.

Working as intended, you can only put accessories that actually have an equip sprite in vanity slots.

Yeah, it makes enough sense. Now, I need to actually find proper vanity accessories! Plus, with the Void Bag and such not being super hard to acquire, we have gained more inventory than we have lost with the change.

Working as intended, you can only put accessories that actually have an equip sprite in vanity slots.

It might be working as intended but it doesn't make it a fun change for the majority of players. Many people just had an entire row of inventory slots for quick accessory swaps taken away from them. It may have been unintended, but so were hoiks, and those were kept around on purpose because they let you do wacky stuff.

I personally will eventually adapt but I'm going to hate it at every step of the way.

If they don't change it back I'm sure this will be one of the first mods which will change this back.
Honestly same. I expect to see it be among the first mods once TML is updated.

Hoiks are fun because they add wacky stuff.

Social slots aren't wacky, they were just free slots. Which led to people demanding the ability to "turn off" social slots so they could use them for storage but not have to see the items in them.

They were never meant to be free storage, they were meant to be a vanity display. We are looking into some UI changes to make it a little more apparent to the player why accessories cannot be put here, but I do not believe it is going to be reverted.

This makes sense, and it was probably done for balancing reasons anyways. That's what piggy banks and other personal storage items are great for!

Hoiks are fun because they add wacky stuff.

Social slots aren't wacky, they were just free slots. Which led to people demanding the ability to "turn off" social slots so they could use them for storage but not have to see the items in them.

They were never meant to be free storage, they were meant to be a vanity display. We are looking into some UI changes to make it a little more apparent to the player why accessories cannot be put here, but I do not believe it is going to be reverted.

I absolutely understand what youre getting at and what the intention behind this change was. However, I think the best idea would be to just add the "free storage", as you called it, just between the equipped and the vanity items, so that we can equip accessories there again, that we dont need atm. I think youre able to understand our point aswell. Items have been exchangable between these slots for so long that it is such an immense pain to have to put the ancient chisel or my class emblems back into my inventory every goddamn time I dont need them. I really beg all of you at Re-Logic: Revert this change, please.

Doing some more research into my characters and I apparently made less use of this "feature" than I thought I did, especially now that you can't stack multiple Celestial Stone-type items for more damage.

Only two-three of my slots are impacted in worst case. Again, I'll manage.

Social slots aren't wacky, they were just free slots.
See, I want to argue with this, because it kind of got into that special kind of unintended gameplay where you figure something out and you feel clever for figuring it out, but it's not something inherently broken. I would often do things like this with my inventory just to make managing my accessories mid-combat or mid-invasion easier, and it made the game more engaging for me.

1589912878469.png

If I felt I didn't need knockback immunity, I swapped out my Shield for an Emblem.
If I felt I didn't need flight, I swapped out my Hoverboard for another Emblem.
I had no reason to take off the Cross Necklace nor the Warrior Emblem, so they didn't have swaps on them. These were actual, bonafide Vanity slots.
If I needed to use a healing item, I'd swap in Charm of Myths to use it then swap back to my Neptune's Shell.
If I wanted a quick boost to healing while idling, I'd swap on the Shiny Stone over my Fire Gauntlet because that'd be a clear difference between combat and idling.

However, the biggest thing here is this - my swap with the Charm of Myths is still a valid swap because it has a sprite. None of my other swaps are still valid because Emblems and Shiny Stone don't have one.

It is consistent in that it has a sprite, thus it technically can be a vanity item. But it is inconsistent in that some actual, functional accessories get what feels like a free pass because they do have a sprite.

Now if I want to do this I have to manually open my inventory, drag an accessory to a specific slot, click that specific slot, then equip it. Versus just pressing Esc, right clicking, pressing F to heal, right clicking again, and pressing Esc to go about my business.

Which led to people demanding the ability to "turn off" social slots so they could use them for storage but not have to see the items in them.
.. Yikes. Gamers are weird.

We are looking into some UI changes to make it a little more apparent to the player why accessories cannot be put here, but I do not believe it is going to be reverted.
I'll accept whatever the final outcome is. I'll adapt, and I truly do appreciate all the time and effort that's gone into this free update.

But this change, if you ask me, is for the worse.

More intrusive than Torch luck is.

I'll second that the ability to have vanity slots as an extra accessory slot was a fun way to reward players finding creative ways to use the inventory. Removing this only makes the game more cumbersome and weirdly technical, as accessories with sprites can be put in vanity and still be rapidly swapped like usual. If you didnt want players to have an extra accesory slot to switch between, you should have removed vanity accessory slots all together.

I also understand why this change was made, but I dislike the change as well.

Being able to use the vanity slots for swappable accessories was honestly a nice quality of life thing. That way you could have accessories you wear for things like movement and building, and be able to quickly switch to combat mode by right-clicking the accessory in vanity to have it switch with the equipped accessory next to it. Instantaneously being able to do something like swap a Destroyer Emblem for your Extendo Grip seamlessly was good.

Now that these accessories must be held in the inventory, this process is a lot worse. You can't just right-click and have it swap out with what you want. Instead it will switch with the first accessory in line, and then go down the list. If you right-click a Destroyer Emblem in your inventory, it might replace your wings instead of your Extendo Grip (hope you're not high in the sky). Basically you now have to manually drag and drop each accessory when it's combat time (and combat time can start in seconds), since there's no way to dedicate an accessory in your inventory to one of your equipment slots. (The other thing I find mildly annoying is that every time you have to return an accessory to your inventory when swapped for something else, it loses its favorite status. Not a big deal, I just find it a bit annoying.)

If we had accessory slots between the vanity and equipped ones where we could still have this swap capability (without giving vanity to these non-vanity items), that would be nice. But as it is right now it just feels like nothing but a quality of life downgrade.

One last thing. The "cheap way to save on inventory space" argument isn't honestly something I care about. I've never felt overly cluttered with my inventory management (and now there's the Void Bag as well). Ease of swapping accessories is far more valuable to me than saving a couple spaces. But if this argument is the only reason why going back to how it was before (or adding in those extra slots as mentioned last paragraph) isn't going to happen, then there's only one other thing I can think of (and I mildly mentioned it in paragraph three). Having the ability to dedicate an accessory in your inventory to a specific accessory slot. That way you could right-click that accessory in your inventory and still have it only swap with that one accessory slot. The accessory returning to the inventory from that slot would also maintain that dedicated value. That would still allow an easier way to quickly swap what you actually want to swap, but without "cheating" inventory space. (You could also technically give more than one accessory in your inventory the same dedicated slot value, and basically group accessories based on which slot you want them all to swap to). I don't know if that would be as nice as before or not, but it would at least be something.

Having the ability to dedicate an accessory in your inventory to a specific accessory slot. That way you could right-click that accessory in your inventory and still have it only swap with that one accessory slot.
I suggested it in Player Suggestions thread, but i hope you see the problem here from the standpoint of defence: Now, thanks to visible accessories (the ones that also get a pass as vanity), player is able to quickswap not 2 but 3 accessories and still "cheat" a game out of storage space.

Edit:
Social slots aren't wacky, they were just free slots.
I can agree with you that Hoik is a rather poor analogy to this situation, so here is mine: by abusing certain UI mechanics i can fish up to 3 quest fishes (maybe now it's even 4?) in one take. And i will do it, because fishing in early game is a bit tedious to my taste, but i need Golden Rod and these three info accessories before going Hardmode. So by taking extra fish i can skip some of future Angler requests. It obviously was never intended, yet it makes my experience easier. Should it be fixed as well?

Last edited:
I suggested it in Player Suggestions thread, but i hope you see the problem here from the standpoint of defence: Now, thanks to visible accessories (the ones that also get a pass as vanity), player is able to quickswap not 2 but 3 accessories and still "cheat" a game out of storage space.
If they implemented that system for accessories in the inventory, then they'd probably remove the ability to quick-swap the vanity accessory slots with equipped accessory slots altogether. Then the vanity slots would be strictly for vanity and not "inventory cheating swappable slots" anymore, but we'd still have dedicated quick-swapping between inventory and equipped slots (instead of the pseudo-randomness that it is now).

For what its worth, I think it would be cool to have a loadout hotswap system, its something I brought up multiple times throughout development. But I'm told it would be a lot of technical work and take a rather long time, unfortunately.

For what its worth, I think it would be cool to have a loadout hotswap system, its something I brought up multiple times throughout development. But I'm told it would be a lot of technical work and take a rather long time, unfortunately.

If thats the case, why not just allow the vanity accessory slots to fill that purpose? Sure, people can complain about actually seeing their stored vanity accessories, but realistically I dont think any of the people asking for that would have liked this outcome either. I personally dont see myself using the vanity accessory slots now as very rarely do I want an accessory for how it looks. Its pretty disappointing that users complaining about a cosmetic issue are the reason for removing a gameplay feature.

Back
Top Bottom