Game Mechanics Eyewear slot

Would you like to see this?

• Yes

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Somewhat, but I have a different idea (please post)

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • No - I don't want more equipment slots

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • No - there's no need for this

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - other reason (please post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Laluzi

Skeletron
I apologize if this has been suggested before; I couldn't find anything, but I may have just been using the wrong search terms. I'm also not sure if this belongs here or in Equipment, because as it is, it kind of deals with both.

I really like the glasses in this game. They look sleek, they can give the sun some hip shades, they let you perfect that one cosplay. Unfortunately, I also really like headgear as a whole, and given the choice, I'm ninety-nine times out of a hundred going to pick the headgear. Crowns, hoods, hats, boss masks - there's just too much more variety on that side, and I think that's a large reason why we don't have more glasses/eyewear.

What I have in mind would be another armor slot, but one where no items that can be placed there offer any stat boosts. They're all vanity items, one way or another. Eyewear - all glasses and visors would go here, as well as Yoraiz0r's scowl and other items that color the face and nothing else (such as the Mime Mask). It also has the potential for contact lenses, items that could change a character's visible eye color (which is a feature we don't presently have). Also facial tattoos or markings, potentially - I'm not going to make any suggestions here, but it does open possibilities. I guess, given how vanity slots work, that there would be both an armor slot and a vanity slot, which has the potential of armored eyegear. (Goggles might already have +1 defense? Can't remember.) But that's possible to avoid, and not what I actually want out of this, which is the ability to combine headgear with glasses.

The immediate problem with this suggestion is that not all hat-eyewear combinations work - in fact, most don't. If you're wearing a Rain Hat or a Tiara, you could feasibly combine any of the game's glasses with it. An Adamantite Helmet or Skiphs' Bear Head, probably not. It's for this reason that I don't support making sunglasses and their variants accessories - Yoraiz0r's scowl gets away with this by being an intangible item, but glasses aren't, and as accessories are laid over armor... it'd become a problem, I think.

My solution is this - the existing headgear slot is always overlaid on top of the theoretical eyewear slot. If you're wearing something like a SWAT helmet, the glasses will get layered under it and nothing will be visible. It's possible that there could be a few pixels protruding with some combinations, so it's not perfect, but it's the best I was able to come up with that didn't involve checking each individual item for glasses compatibility, or worse, allowing every pair of glasses to be combined with every headgear for a new item. (Which isn't a perfect suggestion even ignoring the ridiculous number of items you'd get out of it, because you might want them different colors and dyeing won't accomplish that.)

Thoughts? It's a bit of a complex suggestion compared to the ones I like to make, but I really want to be able to wear glasses with my hat. (First time doing a poll, too, so I hope it was comprehensive.)

Last edited:
In my opinion, I think glasses should go over the person's helmet if you can't see their eyes originally (ex. if you're wearing Chlorophyte helmet, the glasses will go over the helmet instead of not being visible at all)

In my opinion, I think glasses should go over the person's helmet if you can't see their eyes originally (ex. if you're wearing Chlorophyte helmet, the glasses will go over the helmet instead of not being visible at all)
Hmm. There are some cases I can think of where I'd love to see the glasses go over the headgear item - the immediate thing that comes to mind is wearing sunglasses over a king slime mask. However, I'm less keen on the wear-over-helmets... but I think in a lot of cases, that won't pan out, as the helmet protrudes further than the glasses, the eye level is incorrect, et cetera. And though I can't speak with any familiarity about Terraria's source code, I don't think there's a way to do this without doing a case-by-case check on each item and where to layer the two, and that's unwanted overhead. There are ways to mitigate that slightly, but I wouldn't suggest it unless something like that already exists for accessories, and I don't think it does - just a show/hide.

I need to obtain a Yoraiz0r's Scowl and see if it overlays everything, or if it only covers face and doesn't touch helmets. If not, then inherent 'smart' layering seems more plausible (and it might be possible to just make glasses accessories), though I can see players being unhappy that a given accessory doesn't layer one way or another. Like, even here, I think glasses should go under helmets and you think they should go over. The only way we could both be happy with the outcome is if they let us choose how to layer things ourselves, and that isn't possible without creating a new interface.

You could use something like the visible/nonvisible solution for accessories.
I really like the idea, and hope it gets added.

I've been wanting to wear the mime mask with various hats, but I believe this item should show underneath hats (like it does with hair already).
That's a good point. I'll add that; I agree that items that don't change the shape of the face and just color it should apply here.

You could use something like the visible/nonvisible solution for accessories.
I really like the idea, and hope it gets added.
Oh, now that would be interesting. Stick the eyewear layer on top of the hat layer and then give the user the option to toggle visibility? ...That could cause problems with items that would normally layer under the hair/hat, though, and end up sticking over it when toggled on. Like the aforementioned mime mask. The options here, as I'm understanding them, are go over or go invisible, when the ideal is to go over or go under. Which is totally possible to do, but no such equivalent currently exists.

Back
Top Bottom