Favorite class (Including modded classes)

Favorite class?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Melee, easily:
-highest defense
-best accessories
-projectile options through all stages of progression
-flasks are a great buff and relatively easy to obtain
-melee also buffs tools like Pickaxes, Axes and Hammers
-weapon variety
-most content out of all classes
-great mobility
-Vampire Knives are a weaponised healing option
-has what could be considered the strongest weapon in the game in the Zenith
-most importantly, doesn't consume anything to use, sacrificing no mechanics or resources (unlike Mage with mana, Ranged with ammunition and potentially Summoner with mana if you frequently resummon)

Not consuming any resources is vital, I can't bring myself to play Ranger or Mage because having to keep track of something like mana or ammunition is such a pain in the :red:, the only time I ever played a vanilla ranger class I just used the Endless Quiver and Pouch up to the Moon Lord. I also used to be fond of the Thrower class in modded but it seems all the larger mods recently stunted my interest in it by introducing the same sacrificial mechanics I hate (exhaustion with Thorium) or "revamping" the class (like Calamity by changing it to Rogue, for whatever reason, making it incompatible with other mods that add to the Throwing class).

-highest defense
Defense doesn't matter in this game, it doesn't reduce that much damage
-best accessories
what
give an example
-projectile options
except these are all objectively worse than ranged or magic projectile options
-flasks
flasks do hardly anything except maybe the ichor one (even then you can just whip out a Shower)
-tools
I see no reasoning behind this, why the heck would you want to use tools in combat
-variety
except 60% are bad true melee swords that no one uses
-most content
see above
-great mobility
??? classes don't affect mobility???
-vamp knifes
cringe weapon (not bad just stupid)
-Zenith
zenith is inconsequential because endgame, there are no challenges left
when will people understand
-resources
This one got me the most.
Ranger: Ammo for ranged weapons is one of the easiest things to get in the game. Just pop to your local Arms Dealer or Merchant, and add on any extras.
Magic: Mana_Regeneration_Potion.png

Defense doesn't matter in this game, it doesn't reduce that much damage
Yes it does. Melee stacks much more defense than other classes casually, while benefiting more from the higher numbers as well.
It has the best accessories, pretty simple. I posted in this thread to post my favourite class, not post a thesis explaining why to someone who has some festering hatred for the class.
except these are all objectively worse than ranged or magic projectile options
They aren't, but beyond that it not being restricted to true melee means you have a ranged option, meaning if you can stay away from the boss it's a matter of time before you beat them.
flasks do hardly anything except maybe the ichor one (even then you can just whip out a Shower)
Ichor Flasks are extremely easy to obtain and last for ages while also applying to every melee weapon with no need to switch out. Golden Shower is a mage weapon and doesn't do excellent damage on its own even at that, there's no point in a melee character using it when they can constantly apply ichor without switching while still doing melee damage.
I see no reasoning behind this, why the heck would you want to use tools in combat
I never said I used them in combat. Reading comprehension is important. Melee buffs have an effect on tool speed, meaning faster mining. In addition, if you do end up with a mob ending up getting hit by your tool it's better for it to do more damage, rather than less.
except 60% are bad true melee swords that no one uses
I'm not making a case for true melee. Thread subject is "favourite class", melee is mine, for the reasons stipulated that it has projectile options throughout the game.
??? classes don't affect mobility???
They don't need to, accessories and armours that buff melee tend to also provide forms of mobility buffs.
cringe weapon (not bad just stupid)
Calling something a twitter buzzword like "cringe" isn't an argument against it.
zenith is inconsequential because endgame, there are no challenges left
It's also still a melee weapon and buffed by melee equipment. It doesn't matter if there's no challenges left, it still pertains to an advantage that melee possesses.
Ranger: Ammo for ranged weapons is one of the easiest things to get in the game. Just pop to your local Arms Dealer or Merchant, and add on any extras.
Arms Dealer and Merchant provide only basic ammo variants and are still consumables you have to purchase, a problem you don't have with melee. The concept of ammo consumption in itself is a problem unless useful ammo is extremely easily sourced for me throughout the game, it isn't.
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?attachments/mana_regeneration_potion-png.298170/
Potions are also consumable and a single mana regen potion doesn't make up for active mana consumption in combat, you will need to either wait it out or replenish it eventually. Melee can continually attack forever with no management of mana or ammo, ever.

Last edited:
I’ll have to go with Mage.

Mage working around mana adds a layer of strategy I can’t give to any other class. You have different mixes and matches of accessories and items to manage mana, and it makes a very interesting and enjoyable class to play. There’s not any one preferrable strategy to run a mage build and manage mana, and it creates interesting diversity in choice.

Magic weapons are pretty reasonably powerful, having hefty DPS even with Mana limitations and a ton of diversity for every situation. Magic weapons are possibly more diverse in utility and have more general coverage for any situation than even Melee. And they’re strong too, magic weapons are able to tear most enemies and bosses a new one through sheer firepower and busted DPS. This balances well with a higher strategy cap to work around and being relatively fragile.

And it’s just cool. Everything about Mage is neat, from the unique armor sets to the flashy, glittery weapons, and there are so many unique weapons that other classes can’t just contest with. Very few mage weapons are exactly like other ones.

Second favorite has to be summoner - it also gets the skill/strategy and awesomeness that Mage has, and with recent buffs it’s finally a viable choice for a regular playthrough. I just can’t say its better than mage because minions can be frustrating to obtain and use and because whips are a flawed weapon choice, but it’s up there.

mage, due to:
-its high damage during the entire game (compare amethyst staff and gold sword)
-easy to manage single resource that is easy to refill due to the potions being cheap
-it has items like the magic missile which can damage enemies that are through a wall (by going over it)
-it doesn’t have items like the zenith with the amounts of pain you have to go to get it (terrablade is another good example)
-you wreak face during early game pvp

Melee, easily:
-highest defense
-best accessories
-projectile options through all stages of progression
-flasks are a great buff and relatively easy to obtain
-melee also buffs tools like Pickaxes, Axes and Hammers
-weapon variety
-most content out of all classes
-great mobility
-Vampire Knives are a weaponised healing option
-has what could be considered the strongest weapon in the game in the Zenith
-most importantly, doesn't consume anything to use, sacrificing no mechanics or resources (unlike Mage with mana, Ranged with ammunition and potentially Summoner with mana if you frequently resummon)

Not consuming any resources is vital, I can't bring myself to play Ranger or Mage because having to keep track of something like mana or ammunition is such a pain in the :red:, the only time I ever played a vanilla ranger class I just used the Endless Quiver and Pouch up to the Moon Lord. I also used to be fond of the Thrower class in modded but it seems all the larger mods recently stunted my interest in it by introducing the same sacrificial mechanics I hate (exhaustion with Thorium) or "revamping" the class (like Calamity by changing it to Rogue, for whatever reason, making it incompatible with other mods that add to the Throwing class).

All of that for the cost of viarity?
Melee class is the most boring class for me cuz 88% of the weapons are the same with slightly different stats
Phm ore swords will always be the same as the hm ones except for appearance and stats.
Its like viarity of items in APPEARANCE. The only forms of viarity is the very tiny amount of melee weapons with projectiles, and then EVEN THOSE don't function much of a difference with each other, The only 2 swords that actuallt stand out of the HUNDRED of other swords there is Zenith and First Fractal AND THIS IS ENDGAME. The only spear viarity is 2, the stab variants and the throwing varianit and then theres that one weapon that is both (north pole)
Yoyos are all the same except terrarain which shoots small green projectiles
most bommerangs are the same (except for the ones that stack and sergant shield)
And every melee equipment has the same function with 1 or 2 different perks, yes im talking about the infinity glov, Oh wait I mean Gloves They all increas melee speed by 12% and a few increase damage by 12% with one inflicting fire debuff on hit:
Solar flare armor has the most OBVIOUS set bounus: charging into enemies , items that als have this perk: shield of chthulu, tabi, master ninja gear.
Meanwhile Vortex armor has a set bouns similar to shroomite, but its even better, driving ranged damage to crazy limits
Nebula armor give buff boosters That share the effect wit others one increasing life regen by a crazy amount
Another increasing mana regen by a crazy amount,
and one more that increases damage up to 45% for ALL CLASSES
Stardust armor Summons a guardian that recently got buffed
Solar flare armor dmg boost: 29%
Vortex armor boost: 34 (114 in stealth mode)%
Nebula armor dmg boost: 27%(72% with buff boosters )
Stardust armor dmg boost:66%
I literally explaned melee class compared to other classes completly lol

cool, but sometimes ranger is just as bad as melee. Only bows, guns, and rocket launchers. And along with melee they don’t have any good vanilla accessories. But other than daedalus stormbow, the class is pretty balanced.

cool, but sometimes ranger is just as bad as melee. Only bows, guns, and rocket launchers. And along with melee they don’t have any good vanilla accessories. But other than daedalus stormbow, the class is pretty balanced.
Stormbow and many others (see: Phantasm, Tsunami, Eventide, Aerial Bane, Dart Weapons, Hellwing Bow)

I don’t understand this argument I keep seeing that melee “doesn’t have as good accessories”. I’d argue Melee has the best class specific accessory, and additionally benefits the most from generic accessories.

Let’s list all the bonuses you get from Fire Gauntlet:
-12% damage
-12% attack speed
-10% melee size
-Autoswing on melee weapons
-Glowing melee weapons (QOL benefit, mostly)
-Free 15 DOT

Compare to Sniper Scope or Magic Quiver. The damage + speed gives generic melee weapons a stronger DPS boost with Fire Gauntlet than the damage + crit of the ranged, magic or summon accessories. On top of this, melee’s “major” accessory is the most generally versatile class accessory, bringing DPS, DOT, autoswing, small QOL benefits and size, all in one package.

Melee also benefits more from Celestial Shell for example, because the melee speed boosts that it offers only apply to melee (obviously). It also has more utility from defensive accessories that other classes may not use as melee is usually either a tank build or an endurance DPS build.

I won’t argue that Melee can be kind of generic, but it absolutely has some of the strongest accessories.

When I said ranger is my favorite I did a ranger playthrough and I actually found it interesting to try out all the bows /guns etc and thier ammo. Definitly a lot more to see than melee, Super star cannon , Deadaduls stormbow and Eventide were special to me, they were weach unique in some way, *super star cannon has influx mechaninc stormbow shoot arrows from the sky and daedaduls stormbow lived by its name, shoots arrows from the sky, and eventide shoots its exclsive arrow with 4 of the original arrows around it, the spread can be controlled in anyway and lots of arrows have new cool mechanics. Of course there are some more like celebration, areial bane and phantasm, there are also dart guns, dart rif;e pistol etc, which also have unique ammo, ichor darts split into 4, cursed darts could be considered early game north pole and crystal darts rcioche 3-5 times I will admit
guns are kinda like melee swords, with most of them being the same (high fireate and velocity) but then there are shot guns and a few cool bulllet mechanics too
like crystal bullets spliting apart on impact. explosive meteor shot piercing luminite bullets. Arrows have recocheting clorphyte arrows( similar to crystal dart but more powerful) holy arrows which drops stars on impact and the most unique of all, luminite arrows which shoot an arrow and then another right after. I also admit the accessories are kind of samey and limited, like 3 magic quivers now with just 1 difference/addition and sniper scope sucks. But then there are a lot more ranged equips that boost weapon stats . If grabbing ammo is a problem Ranged equipment really helps a lot, I almosst got my phantasm to consume no arrows one time.
Definitly the best class.

Ok, but that to a melee is nothing compared to the mana cuffs for a mage. The tank accessory for mages.

Almost every time I go mage, I use celestial cuffs, but none of what it offers can outclass Fire Gauntlet.

First of all, magic cuffs only benefit if you get hit. Of course, when you do get hit often, it keeps your mana at a high level. But, like every other game, you generally want to not get hit. And “mage tank” only applies to specter hood, a very specific niche that doesn’t qualify the entire game unlike Melee’s accessory bonuses.

Magic accessories have some combination of the following:
-15% damage
-Extra Mana
-Mana regen or lower mana usage
-Auto mana potions
-Increased Mana star pickup range
-Mana on hit, either straight up or by fallen star pickups

These are all just as good bonuses as Melee, some of them being better, but the other side of the coin is *all of melee’s bonuses come in one package*. Can’t say the same about magic accessories, where you usually want to use multiple accessories to achieve the same benefit. They are also mostly related to mana, which means your DPS doesn’t boost by quite as much as Melee’s flat 12% DPS+speed.

I agree that Magic accessory yield is really good, but Fire Gauntlet especially when paired with its predecessors is incredible.

Ok, but what would you say a good master mode EoC setup is (mine is mythical diamond staff, jungle armor, celestial cuffs, lightning boots.) and modded classes please. Also @TheSansBehindtheStorm that is sad, I am bad and you can’t do modded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom