Game Crashes when saving/auto saving - 1.4.4.1

Might be a Windows issue, I have been playing on windows 11 for a while and this is the first time I have experienced any issues. I checked my update history for my pc and I did find that my pc was updated to Windows 11 version 22H2 on the same day that 1.4.4 was released. Not sure if that has anything to do with it:/

@Timbercat1 please end the world file you can't save.

@Muhvi - Mhvi Please send the player file you can't save, as well as any instructions on how to reproduce the issue.
Does it happen if you just enter a world and then save and quit immediately?
Do you need a certain item in your inventory or accessory slots?

If you would like a more direct line of support, please message me on Discord (Chicken Bones#6864)
World and player attached. I was once able to save and quit this world. All other times it has crashed. Crashing seems to happen with either autosave or manual save. Local stuff.

Attachments

• player1.plr
    3.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Dizzy_Plot.wld
    11.5 MB · Views: 28
I have this issue too.
But saving manual work fine, in mine. Just auto-save causing crashed.

I did reset all game config, create a new character and world (Large, random biome).
Then during autosave, it crashed. The game is not showing any error log, just random closed itself.
Also when auto-saving, the world was successfully saved and loaded just as before, however my characters aren't saved in the last time.

Edit: it occurred random times

I'm on Windows 11 22H2 (Build 25221). And here is error log:
Application: Terraria.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.IOException
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(System.String, System.String, Boolean, Boolean)
at System.IO.File.Copy(System.String, System.String, Boolean)
at Terraria.Utilities.FileUtilities.Copy(System.String, System.String, Boolean, Boolean)
at Terraria.Player.InternalSavePlayerFile(Terraria.IO.PlayerFileData)
at Terraria.Player+<>c__DisplayClass1877_0.<SavePlayer>b__0()
at Terraria.Utilities.FileUtilities.ProtectedInvoke(System.Action)
at Terraria.Player.SavePlayer(Terraria.IO.PlayerFileData, Boolean)
at Terraria.WorldGen.saveToonWhilePlayingCallBack(System.Object)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

Last edited:
I've had my game crash when exiting manually on 1.4.4.2. Hope this helps and the bug gets fixed. Also on Windows 11.

Attachments

• Log_20220930215848912.log
    311 KB · Views: 37
  • Log_20220930221004989.log
    37.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I got another crash just now that reminded me that I should probably upload a log. So here it is.

Edited to add another one that just happened.

Attachments

• Log_20221001202443095.log
    6.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Log_20221001203746911.log
    5.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
My game keeps randomly crashing either when I die or when I'm in the middle of doing something in the world. I have attached my log so hopefully it'll help. I'm playing on the celebrationmk10 seed, and my version is 1.4.4.2. I even lost my Daedalus Stormbow which I got on the first try, the souls of light I used to summon the hallowed mimic and the chest I used are gone. I hope this gets fixed asap.

Attachments

• Log_20221001202453499.log
    4.6 KB · Views: 36
so I have been having the exact same issue with the game crashing upon autosaving or save and exiting, and I believe I've found a workaround that works for me. if i go to the terraria game folder and launch the game directly via the exe it seems to fix the issue for me. haven't played it for a long time yet so idk if it keeps working or not. i can say for certain save and exiting works now.

Possible fix--I reinstalled the game, then turned all the video settings to the following:
Parallax 100%
Frame Skip On
Lighting: White
Quality: Low
Background On
the rest: Off/Disabled

I didn't bother to isolate the exact setting, but I noticed when hovering over a named chest, the text flickers very fast with these settings. Possible memory leak caused by one of these? Anyways, I've been transferring items between worlds and haven't crashed in over 20-30 saves. Try it out and let us know!

Still crashing, but a lot less.
Running Windows 11 (latest update as of this post), 8 GB RAM, Ryzen 5 2600.

A redditor claims its being caused by autosave.
It seems to crash when backing up your world file. I've been deleting all the backups everytime I exit a world, and only keeping the original .wld. Maybe this can help.

Last edited:
Disabling autosave stopped the random crashing issue for me, but it still crashes half the time when I manually save and lose all progress. Insanely frustrating.

So far, things I have tried that have NOT worked:
-Turning off Steam Overlay
-Turning off Steam Cloud Saving
-Running the game as admin
-Running the game in fullscreen vs windowed
-Creating an exception in Windows Defender
-Creating an exception in Controlled Folder Access
-Changing the game's save directory
-Turning off autosave (save & exit still crashes)
-Verifying file integrity
-Reinstalling the game
-Making a new player and world

I just want to play the game 😭

hi ,
i just made a accont to share my thoughts on this , by the way sorry my engl is not good

so as first i thought the crash to desktop happens while autosave and i think it does so i disabled autosave and could play for hours but then it crased again while playing
everthing i collected in this time was gone ..... i startet the game again and my inventory was missing every item i collected in this play session befor the the crash so i went back
to every chest i was in before and every item was back in his chest it looked like i was never there but on think what was different was the minimap , on the minimap everthing was uncovered where i went while playing befor the crash

I am having this issue as well, and also happen to be on Windows 11 22H2. It didn't happen at all at first, then autosave started crashing, then manual saving, which makes the game unplayable.

EDIT: I have attached a log file for a session where the game crashed after saving+exiting

Attachments

• Log_20221002215246351.log
    4.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Hey guys, so there has just has been an update to Windows 11, and I have not experienced a crash since I updated. I'm of course still testing and playing, and will continue to monitor the situation. If it keeps working, this may indeed have been an issue with Windows and not the game itself.

From what I see, this is a windows 11 problem only. I am also on windows 11, and my game is crashing too. Maybe we should contact relogic and try to get them to fix this?

Hey guys, so there has just has been an update to Windows 11, and I have not experienced a crash since I updated. I'm of course still testing and playing, and will continue to monitor the situation. If it keeps working, this may indeed have been an issue with Windows and not the game itself.
I installed the Windows update, and it did nothing. Still crashes when saving.

ok so i've been playing for 5 hours and i can confirm that on MY system, lauching the game with the exe instead of through steam fixed my problem. Haven't had a crash the whole time. i wonder if it's like a permission thing with windows 11 or something odd like that

ok so i've been playing for 5 hours and i can confirm that on MY system, lauching the game with the exe instead of through steam fixed my problem. Haven't had a crash the whole time. i wonder if it's like a permission thing with windows 11 or something odd like that
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but how do you launch the game from the exe? I just updated my system so it's completely up to date and I was going to test the game with those updates when I got off work. But I definitely want to give this a try too just in case! I haven't been able to play the game at all since the new update due to this issue:/

Back
Top Bottom