Resolved Game crashes when trying to download legacy worlds

meemoo1407

Skeletron Prime
So i recently bought the PS4 version of the game cause i wanted to see my old PS3 worlds again as well as support the devs, but every time i try to download characters or worlds from the cloud the game crashes.
I have already tried the fix mentioned in the FAQ but that didn't solve my problem.
It seems this issue has been around ever since the 1.3 update came out? How is this issue not being tracked when its a bug that's guaranteed to happen.

So i recently bought the PS4 version of the game cause i wanted to see my old PS3 worlds again as well as support the devs, but every time i try to download characters or worlds from the cloud the game crashes.
I have already tried the fix mentioned in the FAQ but that didn't solve my problem.
It seems this issue has been around ever since the 1.3 update came out? How is this issue not being tracked when its a bug that's guaranteed to happen.
Not all bugs present themselves during QA. Have you tried reinstalling Terraria?

Not all bugs present themselves during QA. Have you tried reinstalling Terraria?
Yeah.
I reinstalled the game and also tried other workarounds i saw in other threads like downloading files outside of the game by downloading them from the PS+ cloud but all of them result in the game crashing when i try to convert.
I noticed that this issue happens to users who are trying to convert old-gen worlds and characters as every other thread has OP mentioning their world being made in an old-gen console.
Hope this helps make the source of the issue a bit clearer.

Do you remember when and what patch your previous world was created under?
My worlds are scattered all over if we are speaking patches as i made many.
My main one was made on the release of the console version iirc.
Not sure why this matters tho.

Could you link me the FAQ you are talking about by the way?

What if we put the files on there manually? Do you still have access to the PS3? We might be able to grab the save data off of it and then transfer it to the PS4 and avoid going through the cloud at all.

You'll need to make sure the usb drive is formatted to Fat32, if you need additional instructions on how to perform this let me know.

Information on extracting save files from the PS3

If the above link is not very clear to you, and you're still having trouble figuring out how to extract the save data from the console let me know and I'll provide clearer instructions.

Could you link me the FAQ you are talking about by the way?

What if we put the files on there manually? Do you still have access to the PS3? We might be able to grab the save data off of it and then transfer it to the PS4 and avoid going through the cloud at all.

You'll need to make sure the usb drive is formatted to Fat32, if you need additional instructions on how to perform this let me know.

Information on extracting save files from the PS3

If the above link is not very clear to you, and you're still having trouble figuring out how to extract the save data from the console let me know and I'll provide clearer instructions.
its a thread that Loki made on these forums https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/console-1-3-transition-and-workaround-faq.64292/

and yeah i have my ps3 along with a copy of the save data on my USB drive.
i copied it yesterday when i was trying to fix the issue but my ps4 would give me a "no save files found" message.
and the USB is fat32 as seen in this image https://imgur.com/a/quchrEI

Could you upload your ps3 save file here? I want to see if I can get it functioning on my end.

Sorry, reformatting a flash drive to FAT32 took all day for whatever reason, still working on figuring out how to transfer using a flash drive. (See edit below)

While I figure this out I want to point out a suggestion made by another user (Unit One) the forums helping troubleshoot a similar problem.

If you're still having problems with the game crashing while attempting to download cloud saves, are you doing trying to download while in the game?

Here is the way to download the cloud saves while you are out of the game, perhaps it will work. You DO need PS+ for this:
index.php

Were you trying to use the function while the game was running?

Edit: I believe I MAY have found why I couldn't get the files from usb to be visible. Do you have the .bin files associated with the players and worlds from PS3? Does the Google Drive contain ALL files from the PS3 save folder for Terraria? I'm pretty sure I need the .bins to point to the files.

Last edited:
Sorry, reformatting a flash drive to FAT32 took all day for whatever reason, still working on figuring out how to transfer using a flash drive. (See edit below)

try connecting it to your ps3 and copying something from in there. it will reformat into fat32 instantly. thats how i formatted mine.

While I figure this out I want to point out a suggestion made by another user (Unit One) the forums helping troubleshoot a similar problem.

Were you trying to use the function while the game was running?

no, i believe i always used that function while the game was off to avoid any data corruption.

Edit: I believe I MAY have found why I couldn't get the files from usb to be visible. Do you have the .bin files associated with the players and worlds from PS3? Does the Google Drive contain ALL files from the PS3 save folder for Terraria? I'm pretty sure I need the .bins to point to the files.

i'm sure that the folder contained all of the files for the save as that was the only savedata file you can find on the ps3.
i would check my console again but i sent it for maintenance a few days ago (im not letting that little guy die just yet ;)) so im afraid this is what i have to work with for now.
thanks you so much for taking your time to help me btw, and im sorry if this is distracting you from doing things in your life.

Its not a problem at all :D

If you happen to get it back before we finish troubleshooting double check. For now lets assume that's all the files the ps3 had.

Let me get you up to the point I'm at for the usb file copy and then explain the current road block I'm dealing with. I discovered that you need a specific folder structure to get the files to show up. You can obtain this by doing the following on your ps4.

1. Create a Test Character
  2. Create a Test World
  3. You may or may not need to load the world and then use save and exit.
  4. Then go to the Applications and save data section of settings.
  5. Choose to copy save data from the PS4 to usb.
  6. Choose Terraria and the test files we made.
  7. Once the transfer is completed unplug the usb drive and plug it in the computer. You should notice the test files were put into a specific folder structure. That is the place we'll need to stick the ps3 files.
That's currently where I am at. The current road block is getting the system to recognize the ps3 files as valid. The only difference that i can see between the ps3 files and the ps4 files is that the ps4 test files include a bin file and that they don't need to be converted since they are not legacy files.

I'll keep looking at this from my end to see if I can work this angle.

As for fixing the downloading from the cloud, could you explain the exact process you are doing and at what point it crashes?

Its not a problem at all :D

If you happen to get it back before we finish troubleshooting double check. For now lets assume that's all the files the ps3 had.

Let me get you up to the point I'm at for the usb file copy and then explain the current road block I'm dealing with. I discovered that you need a specific folder structure to get the files to show up. You can obtain this by doing the following on your ps4.

1. Create a Test Character
  2. Create a Test World
  3. You may or may not need to load the world and then use save and exit.
  4. Then go to the Applications and save data section of settings.
  5. Choose to copy save data from the PS4 to usb.
  6. Choose Terraria and the test files we made.
  7. Once the transfer is completed unplug the usb drive and plug it in the computer. You should notice the test files were put into a specific folder structure. That is the place we'll need to stick the ps3 files.
That's currently where I am at. The current road block is getting the system to recognize the ps3 files as valid. The only difference that i can see between the ps3 files and the ps4 files is that the ps4 test files include a bin file and that they don't need to be converted since they are not legacy files.

I'll keep looking at this from my end to see if I can work this angle.

As for fixing the downloading from the cloud, could you explain the exact process you are doing and at what point it crashes?
it would be faster if i just showed you.

what if the .bin files are just backups of the worlds? like how the pc world files are structured?
did you check the size of the bin files for the ps4 worlds? we might be able to make them by just changing the file format of a copy

.bin files are traditionally the binary information needed for an ISO file. In regards to the PS4's save structure I imagine it's a similar story, the binary information needed for the world and player files. They are only 1 KB as opposed to the world and player file which is around 2 MB. I'll look into seeing if we can manipulate an existing bin file or if we can convert the files to create the bin. (Edit: There does not appear to be a way to manually create the necessary files with the necessary encrypted information the file needs. We'll need to get the bin files that the PS3 created when it created the save data originally.)

For now though, there's something I want you to try.

The way you accessed the cloud from the game is the method of accessing saves from the cloud with the game client. We should be able to transfer the files from the Cloud Storage to the System Storage without the need to go through the game client at all.

Firstly, you'll need to be a PS+ subscriber. Next you'll need to upload Terraria's saves to the Online Storage using your PS3. Finally, you should be able to download from the online storage to your PS4 System Storage. Let me know if that works. I can only assume the Online Storage functions the same way in both the PS3 and PS4 and therefore you should be able to download online storage data from the PS3 to the PS4, but without a PS3 I can not test this for you, so you'll need to tell me if my theory pans out.

Last edited:
.bin files are traditionally the binary information needed for an ISO file. In regards to the PS4's save structure I imagine it's a similar story, the binary information needed for the world and player files. They are only 1 KB as opposed to the world and player file which is around 2 MB. I'll look into seeing if we can manipulate an existing bin file or if we can convert the files to create the bin. For now though, there's something I want you to try.

The way you accessed the cloud from the game is the method of accessing saves from the cloud with the game client. We should be able to transfer the files from the Cloud Storage to the System Storage without the need to go through the game client at all.

Firstly, you'll need to be a PS+ subscriber. Next you'll need to upload Terraria's saves to the Online Storage using your PS3. Finally, you should be able to download from the online storage to your PS4 System Storage. Let me know if that works. I can only assume the Online Storage functions the same way in both the PS3 and PS4 and therefore you should be able to download online storage data from the PS3 to the PS4, but without a PS3 I can not test this for you, so you'll need to tell me if my theory pans out.
you cannot download save files from the ps3 PSN online storage as both systems have separate clouds.
i tried it just now and the terraria files that are in the online storage are the ps4 ones.
its really hard to troubleshoot this issue so im trying to help pipeworks patch it. doubt that will happen any time soon though to be honest.

Okay, what about through this method. This will only work if you are a Playstation Now subscriber (different from a Playstation+ subscriber keep in mind), If you aren't a Playstation Now subscriber we'll need to come up with a different method. If you are then it's possible we'll be able to get the files to Playstation Now, then download them to your PS4 to play with the PS4 version of Terraria.

In the end, we might need to re-obtain access to your PS3 to complete troubleshooting. Any idea when it will be back from maintenance?

Okay, what about through this method. This will only work if you are a Playstation Now subscriber (different from a Playstation+ subscriber keep in mind), If you aren't a Playstation Now subscriber we'll need to come up with a different method. If you are then it's possible we'll be able to get the files to Playstation Now, then download them to your PS4 to play with the PS4 version of Terraria.

In the end, we might need to re-obtain access to your PS3 to complete troubleshooting. Any idea when it will be back from maintenance?
im not a member of playstation now sadly. my console should be finished being fixed tomorrow if nothing goes wrong hopefully.

Alright sounds good, when you get your console back let me know, remember we'll be checking to see what other files are located in Terraria's PS3 save location. If the bins or any other files are not there let me know the method of which you checked in case there is another method that might reveal them.

Back
Top Bottom