Help with Frost Moon??????!!!!!

Granted, but in this thread you questioned how you can reach the higher waves, so you have your answer. If you want to do it in a "non-cheap" way, then that won't be compatible with the goal or reaching the later waves.

Further, there aren't any significant "combat skills" in reaching high waves. You cannot spend time dodging (not only because it's almost impossible in the later waves, but because it would waste too much time). The skill lies in preparation and arena construction, because you'll be tanking through the event anyways with minimal movement. Look at Yrimir's video - he sticks to his platform, and only drops down occasionally to refill his life and mana. Yrimir isn't exhibiting combat skills (he's obviously proficient when it comes to that, but that isn't showcased in his Frost moon video) but he is demonstrating ingenuity and forethought as far as his arena construction and gear set-up go.

And thats fair enough and perfectly fine.

So we can conclude than the Moon Events (At least the Frost Moon´s Bonus Waves) are more about construction/preparation than anything else.

But I honestly dont feel like playing that way. Preparation in regards to gear: Yes, as it has been demostrated in this very same thread, I (thanks to the people who helped here and gave tips) reached to the conclusion I needed more DPS in my gear, so I farmed a fair amount of time until I got it (In this example, The Destroyer Emblem), but construction...just dosnt seems all that fun. Neither does just sitting in one place for the entire event. Sure it probably feels awesome in its own way, but then what?

When you reach to the point where you can do the hardest challenge of the game in such a... anticlimatic way (Once again, IMO), you are sort of finished with the whole thing. After all, if the hardest thing can be done by literally pressing 1 bottom, what about the other, easier parts of the game? Yeah I guess I could go build something because I feel like it or something else, but TBH I play terraria mainly for the Adventure/RPG aspect of it, and when that gets removed out of it, theres no goals, and no incentive to keep playing IMO (Same reason Minecraft only managed to catch my attention for like 6 hours or so- when it became all about building, I quickly lost interest. I need a somewhat clear goal on what to do next, at the very least!)

So I guess I will just leave it be. I did what I wanted to do already!.

There might be ways of "trivializing" the event, but I think you're looking at it too negatively. Because of the way Moon events are designed, the more you make it about play skill and reflexes, the worse you'll do. Moon events don't reward evasion, they reward coming out on top in a war of attrition. The less you move, the more you dedicate your gear towards dealing damage, and the more you take advantage of terrain and non-gear resources, the better you'll do. The events in a sense reward a more diverse skill set. One can have really good combat skill and reflexes which are good enough to take down Terraria bosses, and yet that is going to be insufficient when it comes to making it to the later waves in moon events.

Some might not like the fact that the ideal approach ultimately boils down to holding down a mouse button, but that is the logical consequence of a game which has a significant building component and ample resources at the player's disposal. At that point the fun part is trying to optimize and final wave time set records so it's not as if the builder has reached some sort of "end" to their Terraria experience.

Yeah I guess I could go build something because I feel like it or something else, but TBH I play terraria mainly for the Adventure/RPG aspect of it, and when that gets removed out of it, theres no goals, and no incentive to keep playing IMO

Sure, your personal preferences will obviously dictate how you will play the game. However, if someone can "trivialize" what you consider the "hardest challenge" then that doesn't mean they will no longer have an incentive to keep playing. That's the thing about builders/engineers - they will *always* have something to do in this game :).

Last edited:
There might be ways of "trivializing" the event, but I think you're looking at it too negatively. Because of the way Moon events are designed, the more you make it about play skill and reflexes, the worse you'll do. Moon events don't reward evasion, they reward coming out on top in a war of attrition. The less you move, the more you dedicate your gear towards dealing damage, and the more you take advantage of terrain and non-gear resources, the better you'll do. The events in a sense reward a more diverse skill set. One can have really good combat skill and reflexes which are good enough to take down Terraria bosses, and yet that is going to be insufficient when it comes to making it to the later waves in moon events.

Some might not like the fact that the ideal approach ultimately boils down to holding down a mouse button, but that is the logical consequence of a game which has a significant building component and ample resources at the player's disposal. At that point the fun part is trying to optimize and final wave time set records so it's not as if the builder has reached some sort of "end" to their Terraria experience.

Sure, your personal preferences will obviously dictate how you will play the game. However, if someone can "trivialize" what you consider the "hardest challenge" then that doesn't mean they will no longer have an incentive to keep playing. That's the thing about builders/engineers - they will *always* have something to do in this game :).

Yes, Yes, I can definitivly see the appeal of this point of view and I can agree with it and enjoy seeing others doing it-

As for myself...

I guess I will mess around some more and ultimately stop playing this game until 1.3 comes out. Good luck to everyone who can still enjoy the game!

Try using Stynger. It has high DPS and pretty good crowd-controlling abilities. For example, if you try to kill Golem with it, even if you will only shoot at his head, his arms will be almost destroyed after 30 seconds of constant firing or so.

i have the same problem, i can never reach wave 14 in the pumpkin moon. if you use a cannon and spam cannonballs straight up, that might help.

NEED REINDEER BELLS!!!!!!!!!!!
[doublepost=1530580432,1530580409][/doublepost]I'll try to get destroyer emblem.

Back
Top Bottom