HOIK! [Guide] - Rapid Player/NPC/Etc Transport Using Only Sloped Tiles.

Here's a gif of a "ground sliding hoik" as i call it, with platform mounts. as you can see, it doesn't work at all.
Awesome, thanks for posting! Ok, so what about with the first one (the foot-height, aka size 1) you insert some blocks above your head, so you can't be pushed up atop that hoik? (At the mount point, or all along.) Are you holding the down key to stop yourself stepping up?

Second, the waist height bottom hoik (aka, slider) needs to have teeth every single block to work... Oic, as shown in your third edit:
I just realized i may have not done the size 2 hoiks properly, and need to add more teeth.
So seems like the fundamental ghost wall glitch still works upside down, but subtle differences in hoiks.

On to the up and down hoiks next? 'Up' may be trickiest (maybe), as it'll be the physics from the down hoiks, which are hardest to mount...

Ok, so what about with the first one (the foot-height, aka size 1) you insert some blocks above your head, so you can't be pushed up atop that hoik? (At the mount point, or all along.) Are you holding the down key to stop yourself stepping up?

I was in fact holding the down key, and placing blocks over my head causes me to slowly push through as with the size 2 hoik in the same gif

On to the up and down hoiks next? 'Up' may be trickiest (maybe), as it'll be the physics from the down hoiks, which are hardest to mount...

Two up hoik configs flipped and two down hoik configs. Only the third (a down hoik config) works.

8DpoPiU.gif

Noteworthy things about the 3rd hoik:
  • mounting it was as easy as walking into it (ie i guess this is now one of the easiest down hoiks, if the most obscure, and difficult to even set up (what with killing the Final Boss and all))
  • you can still get stuck in it like with a regular down hoik
Sorry for the lower quality gif, i'm still trying to figure out the best settings for the tool I'm using

~XX

Edit: Before you mention that the second hoik seemed to work, It did, but I had to jump, the third hoik is basically the second hoik moved down a block so that no jumping is needed.

Double edit: I can't get a single platform or ghost wall mount to work on any of the configurations that would make a down hoik... i.e. the only way to do it is with actuated blocks.

Triple Edit (that's a Turkey): while futzing around in reverse gravity I discovered that if you fly into the "ceiling"/ground and slide into a walk-in mount of a right side up hoik, it will generally work. This applies to a good portion of right side up hoiks, excluding right side up up hoiks.

Last edited:
in reverse gravity I discovered that if you fly into the "ceiling"/ground and slide into a walk-in mount of a right side up hoik, it will generally work
I think you'll find that if the hoiks you build and test sucessfully while the right way up might should work when upside down but pushing back against the backwards gravity. You can also for hooks for this (as the get stretched arbitrarily long by hoiks). Building regular looking hoiks while upside down will mostly fail, as you've shown, since the collision physics isn't inverted, just your sprite, the screen and gravity. Good test work. :)

Ok, did some minor boulder testing!
I think I found something interesting. "You also can't stop them rolling sideways.."--ZeroGravitas
What I found out:
a) Your lab is gigantic and has all kinds of items I want to have! XD
b) When a boulder falls down, he doesn't go sideways...how about exploiting this?
Setup-No Wire.png
Setup-Wire.png

So, when you flick the lever, the boulder falls onto the floor and instantly comes back up! (Maybe he does start rolling? Replace the floor with a platform?) Though, I still need a way to "know" when the boulder is at the top to actuate the blocks again, turning it into this kind of thing: "20 goto 10". Another thing I noticed but am not sure of is that if you make this "tower" of hoiks higher, the boulder breaks.

Also, here is a video! (Minor note: The character is a legit one! I killed the Dungeon Guardian using hoiks, just like Yrimir)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0p1M-iw1bBrZ1BJUFJJaTJlbmM/view?usp=sharing

When a boulder falls down, he doesn't go sideways...how about exploiting this?
Nice thinking, but as soon as you start hoiking that counts as being in contact, I believe. So you can doing what you've just shown, and starting to hoik it up the moment it starts rolling, you can get the boulder all the way back up the height of that room. But I think that's your lot.
Note that the same setup as this didn't even work in my other (messy) test world (boulder decided it was trapped and exploded quickly). The inconsistency could be another bizarre nuance of the game physics, or the exact start tooth matters (I tried different lengths)...

Nice thinking, but as soon as you start hoiking that counts as being in contact, I believe. So you can doing what you've just shown, and starting to hoik it up the moment it starts rolling, you can get the boulder all the way back up the height of that room. But I think that's your lot.
Note that the same setup as this didn't even work in my other (messy) test world (boulder decided it was trapped and exploded quickly). The inconsistency could be another bizarre nuance of the game physics, or the exact start tooth matters (I tried different lengths)...

"Nice thinking, but as soon as you start hoiking that counts as being in contact, I believe."
This sounds fairly reasonable, may I test this? And, in order to test it, may I have your world save with that setup? (Is it scalable up to infinity?)

may I have your world save with that setup? (Is it scalable up to infinity?)
I'd far rather you built it in a different world to see if there are any odd things happening between worlds (as with size 1 hoiks). It shouldn't take you very long from scratch, pretty simple. :) I'm presuming it still only scales so high; if the boulder can't roll free off the top, it will probably just pop, jammed in the middle of the hoik length.

I'd far rather you built it in a different world to see if there are any odd things happening between worlds (as with size 1 hoiks). It shouldn't take you very long from scratch, pretty simple. :) I'm presuming it still only scales so high; if the boulder can't roll free off the top, it will probably just pop, jammed in the middle of the hoik length.

Ok, I will try it out! Also, did you do any tests with flails such as the ball of hurt? (Testing it out anyways.)

Ok, did some more testing. It seems that the boulders are pretty inconsistent after all. I haven't been able to find a pattern so far but it might be caused by boulder's speed being like this: 10 blocks height, boulder moves 3 blocks, now 7 blocks are left, boulder moves 3 blocks, now 4 blocks are left. boulder moves 3 blocks, 1 block left....(You see where I am going with that? Also, this example has been exaggerated.)

What I found out:
a) There is a limit to how high you can hoik a boulder. (Looks like any contact whatsoever starts the rolling mechanism.) (Unconfirmed: Also, when attempting to hoik a boulder, an easy way to make sure that they get hoiked and don't just pop is to use a few boulders...)
b) You can hoik yoyos and flails!! :D (I am pretty sure you know that already and that it is rather useless since when they end up being too far away, they come back.)

Here are 2 videos:
https://drive.google.com/folderview...16SjNNc2tmREpyaUhsNzRnZUNYbFk2Snc&usp=sharing
(If they don't work, tell me.)

You can hoik yoyos
! Ah, I knew I was missing a trick! But looks like they are only sized 1 then? So couldn't loop them, unless there are bigger size 2s in later game? Do they all retract after a fixed number of hits too? (So couldn't make a (useful) AFK mechanism.) I briefly tried something along those lines with minions, but again they return over a certain distance, and mostly they are probably best-off moving by themselves...

! Ah, I knew I was missing a trick! But looks like they are only sized 1 then? So couldn't loop them, unless there are bigger size 2s in later game? Do they all retract after a fixed number of hits too? (So couldn't make a (useful) AFK mechanism.) I briefly tried something along those lines with minions, but again they return over a certain distance, and mostly they are probably best-off moving by themselves...
I doubt that there are bigger yoyos but I might be wrong. I am not sure about this: "retract after a fixed number of hits too" but I do doubt it, I think they only retract after some time.
And, I will keep testing then! (I wonder if you could make a loop with a flail...or a beach ball! With a beach ball you would only have to make sure that it doesn't turn back into an item.)

Un-hoiked hoiks? An ordinary situation: you enter the cave, pretty small, you walk forward (easily!) and can't get back. Is it a trap? Yes, it is.. and a little more.
First, how to trap yourself:
2015-08-05_070708.jpg
2015-08-05_070748.jpg
2015-08-05_070906.jpg

Second, how to hoik our trap:
2015-08-05_071747.jpg
2015-08-05_071859.jpg

Third, usage:
2015-08-05_080022.jpg

Unfortunately, this type only takes us up, nothing more, but there is always a way).
terra_trap.gif

Attachments

• 2015-08-05_073917.jpg
    2015-08-05_073917.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 391
It's funny how such a simple configuration of square blocks forms a 1 way passage. Strange how it pops out of the collision physics.
this type only takes us up, nothing more, but there is always a way).
index.php
Nice little retro-feel animation, too. Sounds like you re-discovered the first type of hoik mount, for the 'super-fast elevators' (that doesn't require the ghost wall glitch). Did you look at the 'history' section of the guide?

Yes, I did, but now I have more questions, than answers. I would know more about turnings: from right and left to up and down, from "up" and ''bottom" to right and left, in clockwise and contraclockwise order. I hope, next week I'll build all turnings I understand and will ask you to explain more).

about turnings
try not to think too much in straight lines; every tick, every hoik step, is completely separate and it only matters what teeth you are overlapping that tick. A simple look-up table. Always moving only up, down, left, or right, never diagonally, etc. Have fun.

So I'm testing mobile hoiks (as in TERRARIA Mobile), and apparently, only the left right and up hoiks. I made a really good one, but sadly, my friends had no brain and wrecked the hell out of it. The problem is really that there is no down slope... Anyways, the other mounts seem to not work. My tactic was to stand on a crafting table, and then jump up and hit a slope, so that you would hit the 90 degree angle. Still works! Also, since the walk through wall glitch doesn't work, I guess hardcore traps are impossible... Oh, also, it seems I'm dying from naturally spawned hoiks!!!!!!! (Hoik then traps on top). By the way, this is Terraria mobile.

the walk through wall glitch doesn't work
Oh? I thought it did? Tried with sloped down platforms (stairs) and actuated sloped blocks? (Maybe I've lost track of game versions.)
to stand on a crafting table, and then jump
Do you mean like this?:
CropperCapture[41].png

Because either left or right versions should work the same: walking in from the right, pushing up with the bench, or using a platform in it's place (for optional up hoikage).
naturally spawned hoiks
Game terrarain is very random and you'll find this effects happening in places, but there's no natural hoik 'traps' in any game version. :)

Well, first of all, there are no stair platforms. Which is bad. Secondly, I've already tried the actuators with slope blocks, and it doesn't work. And also, I managed to fix my other hoiks to work. And finally, I think mobile is 1.2.1.2? Not sure.

Back
Top Bottom